Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Clare v Cork All Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

OK, just one more.
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    As for proposal - simple - once you lift the ball, it is in play - if he wants to flick it on and run on to it he can - but the defenders at allowed to charge at him.

+1
    Lift means vertical, not scoop forward 7 meters or more where the free taker is allowed to run after the sliotar taking as many steps as they like while the play is dead to all other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Many congrats to Clare from a Dub. Some team you have, worthy champions.

Unreal game.

The game I want to see is ourselves versus you lot. You've a great team, and Davy v Anthony would be something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Great end to a great championship. Well done Clare well deserved, enjoy the celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

oodles19 wrote: »
    You lads who had to head off aren't forgotten, everyone at home knows there were fellas leppin' off the walks all over the world watching it. Best of luck to you with your new start!

Very kind words - thank you. :)

I could be back before ya know it! The wife is mad to go back. :o

[-0-] wrote: »
    Very kind words - thank you. :)

I could be back before ya know it! The wife is mad to go back. :o

Give it a year or two. Enjoy the experience. Then make a call on it. I've been away myself, loved it, but home is home. We're in a ball of ****e back here, but it's OUR ball of ****e! I hope the right team won for you today btw! :-)

• Advertisement

Give it a year or two. Enjoy the experience. Then make a call on it. I've been away myself, loved it, but home is home. We're in a ball of ****e back here, but it's OUR ball of ****e! I hope the right team won for you today btw! :-)

It has been 2.5 years. :o

Every day I wake up I just want to go home more and more. Despite having savage pension/401k setup here in the states.

We'll see what happens. I'm going home for Christmas anyway.

The sister called me earlier from Newmarket on Fergus. Had the bar singing "It's a long long way from Clare to There". The bastards. :D

It has been 2.5 years. :o

Every day I wake up I just want to go home more and more. Despite having savage pension/401k setup here in the states.

We'll see what happens. I'm going home for Christmas anyway.

The sister called me earlier from Newmarket on Fergus. Had the bar singing "It's a long long way from Clare to There". The bastards. :D

Ah Jaysus, that's dirty pool! :-) You'll be home for Christmas anyway, good man (I know from experience it isn't easy to get flights that time of year). Give it a proper go over there man, it's the likes of you we'll all be relying on in a few years time to come back and give us a bump when things get better. In the mean time it's a great life experience surely ?!

Ah Jaysus, that's dirty pool! :-) You'll be home for Christmas anyway, good man (I know from experience it isn't easy to get flights that time of year). Give it a proper go over there man, it's the likes of you we'll all be relying on in a few years time to come back and give us a bump when things get better. In the mean time it's a great life experience surely ?!

Jesus I do love it. I just can't imagine my kids not having Irish accents, playing hurling, and so on. The quality of life here is amazing but it's not home ya know? Fecks sake I miss the rain - that's bad now. :D

In the meantime, my nephews and niece are all growing up without me. Tis a balls but sure there's thousands like me!

Jesus I do love it. I just can't imagine my kids not having Irish accents, playing hurling, and so on. The quality of life here is amazing but it's not home ya know? Fecks sake I miss the rain - that's bad now. :D

In the meantime, my nephews and niece are all growing up without me. Tis a balls but sure there's thousands like me!

I know exactly what you're saying. It's a big part of why I came back, but there was no-one dragging me. Believe me, the nephews and nieces love having their American uncle! I'm with you on missing the bollox of weather by the way. Where I was they had seasons, actual seasons I tells ya!! Didn't know what to do with myself....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Genuinely surprised to see people going on about the 21 free's again. Not good enough that the ref brings it out to the 25, not good enough that the keeper's allowed run off his line, not good enough that the risk of flicking it forward means you've a way higher chance of fluffing it (Nash's last one for instance!), we now need to ensure that the ball isn't brought forward too far, too. Maybe the way to go is to review the awarding of 21 yard frees entirely?Bit of a reality check lads, this type of free has been going on for a lot longer than 3 weeks.

Just because Davy Fitz wants to gain a competitive edge, it doesn't mean the rules are wrong.

Not blaming Davy here btw, I'm just pointing out that this is realistically a non-issue.

• Advertisement

mikeoh wrote: »
    As a delighted Clare man I just want to say JBM is a true sportsman and legend and can be very proud off his men ...as for Nash , he is unique , he brilliant he puts the fear of god in me no one gave out about the way John Aldridge took penalties for Ireland don't knock him for being a cute cork hoor!!

And for giving ye JBM we'll take Shane O'Donnell in return, who was also a model of graciousness, in his post match interview.

Deserved win by Clare today, and I'd say that lad will be delighted with the part he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

There was some craic tonight in the pubs down here, I left not too long ago and I say they will be staying open a lot longer! Plenty of rounds of the lovely rose of Clare being sang, and it was love to see the blue and yellow taking the place over! Never thought I would be this excited over GAA but I am delighted that I am, and am looking forward to next years season already :D

There was some craic tonight in the pubs down here, I left not too long ago and I say they will be staying open a lot longer! Plenty of rounds of the lovely rose of Clare being sang, and it was love to see the blue and yellow taking the place over! Never thought I would be this excited over GAA but I am delighted that I am, and am looking forward to next years season already :D

And there'll be plenty more nights like it, with this Clare team I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Genuinely surprised to see people going on about the 21 free's again. Not good enough that the ref brings it out to the 25, not good enough that the keeper's allowed run off his line, not good enough that the risk of flicking it forward means you've a way higher chance of fluffing it (Nash's last one for instance!), we now need to ensure that the ball isn't brought forward too far, too. Maybe the way to go is to review the awarding of 21 yard frees entirely?Bit of a reality check lads, this type of free has been going on for a lot longer than 3 weeks.

Just because Davy Fitz wants to gain a competitive edge, it doesn't mean the rules are wrong.

Not blaming Davy here btw, I'm just pointing out that this is realistically a non-issue.

The thread is a discussion about events in today's game. One of the issues raised was the lack of implementation today of the very clear rules (already quoted) regarding the free puck. Not about individuals opinions.

Here is another.
    RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS
    4.25 To advance the ball deliberately from the place
    at which a free puck or side-line puck is to be
    taken.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
    (i) Cancel free puck or side-line puck.
    (ii) Throw in the ball where the foul occurred, except as provided under Exception (v) of Rule 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Christ lads...fair play to both teams! They're after giving the irish public something to be proud of ..not just today but the last day as well. Unreal finals on both occasions...usually the replay doesn't live up to the first but they surpassed it tonight. Davy Fitz is the pantomime villain that everyone loves to take the piss out of but by God does he live and breath Clare hurling. Delighted for them. When you see the amount of young lads playing their hearts out their today,putting everything on the line (on both sides), giving a spectacle like they did...i dunno..19 years old o'donnell is!! f*cking hell...to get 3-03 from play in an all ireland final. It really is the best game in the world. Amazing, thats all i can say really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Maybe, but for some reason I don't see that happening. Tipp's manager walked away after the win. The key is in Davy Fitz, and I don't see him leaving them. Say what you want about his temperament, but he's turned into a brilliant manager. Fantastic tactics-wise, and even just the passion he injects is invaluable.

Also, when I say a new era, I meant more like an era of just brilliant, exciting hurling. This Clare team are phenomenal, but I think Dublin have an All-Ireland in them too if they can keep it together, and that Cork team definitely do, I'd say. Who knows what Kilkenny will pull out of the bag in the coming years too? It has the potential to be a fantastic decade or so of hurling ahead of us.

For what it's worth, I think this Clare team might be my favourite All-Ireland winners that I've seen in my lifetime. Just thrilling to watch.

Great post!

UP THE BANNER!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm ****ed. Getting in bed. We watched the whole game once and the Saturday game 3 times in the pub. I still can't believe it. I was even getting nervous watching it the third time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ladiee Person

Thank you Clare and Cork for putting on the best hurling game I have ever seen.... OK I'm biased but hell it was a great contest. It was almost wrong that one of the teams had to loose but for once the tears that rolled down my face after the final whistle were for the right reasons.

It takes two great teams to put on the display we saw yesterday and while the U21 final was easier on my nerves it was not a good match to watch for the neutral nor did it do anything for the game of hurling in Antrim. Fair play to Cork for their "never give up" approach (not what I was thinking during the match mind you) but it was a privilege to watch that game and to see the amazing skills and talent on both sides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clareman wrote: »
    Clare to win by 4-7 points

What can I say, I'm a genius :pac:

I'm watching the match for the third time now again, still can't really believe that we are All Ireland Champions.

I have to say that every Cork supporter I met yesterday was a magnificent credit to their county

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Clareman wrote: »
    What can I say, I'm a genius :pac:

I'm watching the match for the third time now again, still can't really believe that we are All Ireland Champions.

I have to say that every Cork supporter I met yesterday was a magnificent credit to their county

Lucky prediction in many ways.

Clare were by far the superior and would have won it pulling up but for the ref.

Well done Clare, they'll be around for a while, that team would match KK at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What a game, thrilled, means i have to go to back to Ennis for the homecoming so have to take tomorrow off totally suss.

Hats off to Cork too, for the first 20-25 mins of the second half they were outstanding. It was just an absolute joy to be at this years championship. It was pure skill by the both finalists and heres to more great battles in the years ahead.

Up hurling, the best game on the planet.

Here is another.
    RULE 4 - TECHNICAL FOULS
    4.25 To advance the ball deliberately from the place
    at which a free puck or side-line puck is to be
    taken.

Nobody advanced the ball from the place at which the free puck was to be taken (i.e. where the ref placed it) - it was taken from where the ref placed it. Keeper came off his line to meet it accordingly.

I realise that this is the first time some people have seen this technique used, but it's genuinely nothing new.

This kind of talk takes the shine off what was one of the best Championships in a long time: it was (two) of the cleanest finals we've seen in years and people are complaining about the rules.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Unbelievable day yesterday. I gave and got some stick from Cork folk but we all shook hands after it was over...the joy of the game.

I saw all of O'Donnells goals up close as I was near the front of the Hill and I thought we were going to kill the game by HT but Cork are Cork and never gave up. There was a time when I thought we'd blown it again but those lads just love winning and refused to give in!

I got home around 12 and had 2 pints, got some food and watched the Saturday game just to take it all in...today is another day for a few pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Anthony Nash didn't cheat. There's nothing in the rules saying he couldn't do what he did. It looked a bit crazy alright, and I think it's a rule that needs to be looked at, but he was well within his rights to do it at the time. If there's nothing stopping him, why wouldn't he?

I completely agree. DJ Carey used to use a similar technique with Penalties(I think he used to gain about 4m), nobody complained. Its a rule that needs to be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Nobody advanced the ball from the place at which the free puck was to be taken (i.e. where the ref placed it) - it was taken from where the ref placed it. Keeper came off his line to meet it accordingly.

I realise that this is the first time some people have seen this technique used, but it's genuinely nothing new.

This kind of talk takes the shine off what was one of the best Championships in a long time: it was (two) of the cleanest finals we've seen in years and people are complaining about the rules.

When he lifts the ball it should be in play, but according to the "rules" it's not in play - for example Nash free were he messed up - why did he go to strike the ball, why didn't he say "o wait that didn't work, i'll retake it" ? or is the ball actually in play and he has to hit it, but not in play for the defenders/keeper to move off the line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

BVRgz3qCQAAevOq.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Shouldn't have taken the bait here, but this is a joke. What Clare supporters were you speaking to exactly? The man developed a style of play that needed time to gel and it came right when it mattered most. Davy has been a fantastic manager, the players are flourishing under his methods, and he has been more than willing to talk to anyone on the street regarding how things are going, and I know that from experience.

To say the man has no class is an absolute insult to a now current All Ireland winning manager. Does Cody have class by your definition?

Written in haste and immediately regretted and deleted.

He's unlikeable to the nth degree and his moaning about a grand conspiracy against Clare was laughable but there's no denying that he put together a superb hurling team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭BQQ

Delighted Shane O'Neill had 4-3 scored on him.

After all the dirty strokes he's got away with this year, the karmic balance was somewhat restored by that humiliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

BQQ wrote: »
    Delighted Shane O'Neill had 4-3 scored on him.

After all the dirty strokes he's got away with this year, the karmic balance was somewhat restored by that humiliation.

Leave it be.

Advertisement