Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Clare v Cork All Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Options
  • 21-09-2013 11:19am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

GAA_HSAIC_Logo.jpg?width=288&height=272&ext=.jpg

Final Replay - Croke Park
    Saturday 28th September 2013, 17:00

Clare and Cork renew their rivalry in the replay of the 2013 All Ireland Final in Croke Park on the 28th of September at 5pm.

In the drawn game Clare had the better of the exchanges on a number of occasions but Cork constantly got back into the game with goals at the right times. Cork could/should have had 3 more goals if it wasn't for some good saves and luck by Clare, Clare could also have had a couple of goals if it wasn't for good saves.

clare-2013-hurling-final-jersey-3.jpg?width=288&height=272&ext=.jpg
    |
    cork-2013-hurling-final-jersey-8.jpg?width=288&height=272&ext=.jpg

|
    1: Pa Kelly|1: Anthony Nash
    |
    2: Dómhnall O'Donovan|2: Stephen McDonnell
    3: David McInerney|3: Shane O'Neill
    4: Cian Dillon|4: Conor O'Sullivan
    5: Brendan Bugler|5: Brian Murphy
    6: Patrick Donnellan|6: Christopher Joyce
    7: Pat O'Connor|7: William Egan
    |
    8: Colm Galvin|8: Lorcan McLoughlin
    9: Colin Ryan|9: Daviel Kearney
    |
    10: John Conlon|10: Seamus Harnedy
    11: Tony Kelly|11: Cian McCarthy
    12: Conor Ryan|12: Pa Cronin
    13: Podge Collins|13: Luke O'Farrell
    14: Darach Honan|14: Patrick Horgan
    15: Conor McGrath|15: Conor Lehane

|
    16: Donal Tuohy|16: Darren McCarthy
    17: Eamonn Glynn|17: Kilian Murphy
    18: Nicky O'Connell|18: Mark Ellis
    19: James McInerney|19: Tom Kenny
    20: Jonathan Clancy|20: Stephen White
    21: Brian O'Connell|21: Rob O'Shea
    22: Conor Cooney|22: Jamie Coughlan
    23: Liam Markham|23: Cathal Naughton
    24: Alan O'Neill|24: Stephen Moylan
    25: Shane O'Donnell|25: Michael O'Sullivan
    26: Cathal McInerney|26: Michael Cussen
    27: Peter Duggan|
    28: Fergal Lynch|
    29: Enda Barrett|

Match Odds
    From Paddy Power

Match Betting
    Cork Evens Draw 10/1 Clare Evens

Ticket Details
    Tickets are on sale through normal Final Channels.

Who Will Win the All Ireland? 79 votes

Clare
    0% 0 votes
    Cork
    58% 46 votes
    Atari Jaguar (Draw)
    41% 33 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just a week out I wanted to start a new thread, I'll update the Op later on in the week when the teams are announced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I think whoever wins this game will win by 3-4 points this time out. Replays IMO never plan out the way they are expected. I expect the game to be a lot different this time but hard to call a winner. Il go for Cork clearly because I'm a rebel but wouldn't be surprised at all if Clare win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can see this being a blow out to 1 team or the other. The first day Cork seemed to be content to concede frees once a Clare player got past them to stop the play developing, I think over half of the Cork were booked the last day. Clare's full back line was exposed the last day without the sweeper, Cork scored 3 goals and could have scored 3 more, the next day I can see Clare varying it up a lot playing the sweeper at some times and 15 on 15 at others, I expect a big day from Darach Honan as well, he just didn't seem to get going the last day.

Clare to win by 4-7 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Cork won't be as bad as last day, Clare won't be as dominant as last day...gotta go with my heart, Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Theres so many if's and buts its hard to call.

Heres the key points for me.

I dont think Cork actually played that bad the last day overall. They wouldnt have expected Clares half back line to be as strong in the air because they hadnt been all year before hand. Cork made good use of the ball when they got their hands on it, only had 3 wides in the game and really exposed our full back line.

Cork need to sort out a puckout strategy for the match to try and win some primary possesion if they are to win. I dont know myself how they are going to do it because the Clare half back line/midfield are good around the breaking ball and if we go 15v15 there will be no spare man to pick out.

Davy needs to be quicker to make decisions. It was clear to everyone Honan was having a stinker and by the time Cathal Mac came on it was too late for him to have any great effect. Maybe he should have reverted to a sweeper with 15 minutes to go but I can also see why he didnt do this and give Cork a free man, they are well able to score from distance.

Clare full back line need to be tighter the next day and more disciplined in the tackle, we cant afford to give 21 yard frees to Nash or leak goals.

A few players from either side have to stand up and perform the next day. Mcgrath/Honan and even Tony Kelly I would feel despite scoring 3 points will feel they hadnt their best performance and likewise for Cronin, Farrell McLoughlin and a few more Cork lads.

Overall I think Cork have more serious issues to right than Clare for the replay so I still think we can and will do it. I dont think there will be any nerves from either side and would be expecting a tense sort of a game and wouldnt be surprised if there are a few heated moments in it. Clare to win 1-22 to 2-15 for me (hopefully) :D

• Advertisement

Cork won't be as bad as last day, Clare won't be as dominant as last day...gotta go with my heart, Cork.

I think this is correct. But i think Cork will have to keep Clare to under 20 points in replay. They cant afford to let Clare go over this or it will be hard for Cork to win. Goals will also be key in who wins this one. Hard to believe three goals wasnt enough to win last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TopsyTurvey20

Do ye think it'll be difficult getting tickets this time round? Managed to get some for drawn game but haven't got my hands on any just yet for replay

• Registered Users Posts: 18 daveyboy41

Not a smell of ticket so far..seems harder than first match...hopefully will shake out next wk

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TopsyTurvey20

Was expecting it to be much easier this time....ah maybe went the football is put to bed tmro, things might start moving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Demand is higher because the price is lower :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

It's early yet, last time I hadn't a sniff at this stage but got one and turned down other offers on the days before. What's the atmosphere like in Ennis this time? Unfortunately I won't be coming home for this replay. Its not gonna be the same watching it in the living room or the local bar but at least I shouldn't loose my voice for 3 days!

Everyone is focusing on Football tickets at the moment, come Tuesday it'll be all about the hurling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Most people I speak to expect it to be easier this time, as
    - no minor game allocation
    - less people coming home from abroad
    - Saturday 5pm start isn't ideal for people with young families

However the price is cheaper so that might cause a bit more demand.
    Plus the first game was a classic, so replay is eagerly awaited!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Tickets for the upper Davin sorted, happy out.

I'd like to think that winning the under-21 might be a bit of a boost to the seniors, getting the double would be a great achievement.
    It'll be a great match either way.

Clare 1-20, Cork 2-14.

'Hon the Banner :D

Starting to get excited about the game now, even if the ticket is still not arranged. Will be travelling up regardless.

So, will Davy go for the same again for the replay, same 15 in the same positions?

Or will he put Donnellen back as a sweeper given the damage Cork did to our full back line when they ran at them?
    It worked well against Limerick, but Limerick were unable to take long range scores from midfield whereas Cork can do that.
    Don't think the heart could take it, watching another battle between Nash from the frees and Kelly on the line!

I know that these teams have already met 5 times this season, so not sure are they still able to surpise each other.
    Could Cathal McInerney be a surprise selection for Clare?

Starting to get excited about the game now, even if the ticket is still not arranged. Will be travelling up regardless.

So, will Davy go for the same again for the replay, same 15 in the same positions?

Or will he put Donnellen back as a sweeper given the damage Cork did to our full back line when they ran at them?
    It worked well against Limerick, but Limerick were unable to take long range scores from midfield whereas Cork can do that.
    Don't think the heart could take it, watching another battle between Nash from the frees and Kelly on the line!

I know that these teams have already met 5 times this season, so not sure are they still able to surpise each other.
    Could Cathal McInerney be a surprise selection for Clare?

I cant see him putting Donnelan sweeping, I dont think he can afford to leave Cork with a free man the aim the puckouts at. I would like to see Cathal Mc come in for Honan but who knows what Davy will do, Maybe it could be the day that Honan gives us the performance we have been waiting all year for.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

I was at the last game and was amazed at the work rate by Clare in the middle third visible from the Cuzack stand - up to four 'banner men' running at every loose ball - hunger! If Cork don't address that hunger with an improved performance on turnovers and unforced errors also I fear that "Liam" will go Shannon-side

Re demand for tickets, I gave accommodation to East Clare men from London who won't travel again -rightfully quoting the expense of it all

I am again trawling amongst real fans for 2 x stand tickets. Hit that reply or PM button ;-) Don't be shy...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭blackwave

Speaking as Kilkenny man, last year the tickets were far harder to come by for the replay. I only got a ticket sorted a hour beforehand. The fact that its a cheaper ticket and while the first match may not have being the best in terms of skill however it more than made up for it drama and excitement will drive the supporters to go to the replay.

On who will the match I think Cork would be my pick as I think they will play a bit better this match buts its going to be a tight game either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭blackwave

Speaking as Kilkenny man, last year the tickets were far harder to come by for the replay. I only got a ticket sorted a hour beforehand. The fact that its a cheaper ticket and while the first match may not have being the best in terms of skill however it more than made up for it drama and excitement will drive the supporters to go to the replay.

On who will the match I think Cork would be my pick as I think they will play a bit better this match buts its going to be a tight game either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Could genuinely go either way

I think Clare let Cork off the hook big time the first day out and I don't see Cork playing as poorly again

It'll be seriously close either way I think and could be decided on some really small margins. I'm going to say Cork but just

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 IntoYourSister

Clare to win very easy.

Clare 1-19 Cork 0-15.

Clare to win very easy.

Clare 1-19 Cork 0-15.

I'd be surprised if cork didn't hit the net at least once to be honest, they will be looking for goals on Saturday.

Cork to win very easy.

Cork 1-19 Clare 0-15.

Fixed that for you. :)

I'd be surprised if cork didn't hit the net at least once to be honest, they will be looking for goals on Saturday.

I think Cork will get goals again next day but i couldnt see Clare getting 20+ points. Watching game last day i thought Clares defence was cat when Cork ran at them and this happened on an off day. If Cork play well next day they could run riot. Clare will have to play sweeper which leaves one Cork man free in forwards. Cork should continuously rotate the forwards to upset Clares defence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Amprodude wrote: »
    I think Cork will get goals again next day but i couldnt see Clare getting 20+ points. Watching game last day i thought Clares defence was cat when Cork ran at them and this happened on an off day. If Cork play well next day they could run riot. Clare will have to play sweeper which leaves one Cork man free in forwards. Cork should continuously rotate the forwards to upset Clares defence.

how could Cork have one free man in the forwards if Clare play a sweeper?

Amprodude wrote: »

I think we will still hit 20 points, we have been doing it all year and I don't think we will use a sweeper. There will have been a lot of work done with both squads since. I don't think ye will get 3 goals again but ye could get one or maybe 2 if ye are lucky. It's all to play for really.

Interesting comments from Clare goalie Pa Kelly ahead of the replay re Nash's free, and the difference between a penalty and a 21-yard free

From the Indo: "I've a strong opinion on that. In my view, once the player touches the ball, the goalie should be allowed attack the ball," he said.
    "It's in play. I took it off the body the last day. I'll put it to you this way, you can take a free by pulling on the ball on the ground. It's one strike of the ball. It's one touch.
    "I started my run on the line. I came out. Would I do it again the next day? Who knows?" he said.
    Kelly accepts the rules debar him and his colleagues from rushing a penalty but believes that, as the rules stand, a free is different and it needs clarity.
    "It's a grey area, to be honest with you. Maybe the two of us were in the wrong. He has to be 20 metres away, but if you're 20 metres away from a man hitting a ball on the 13-yard line, it just doesn't make sense.
    "So I think that rule has to be altered. There has been so much talk of it, something will have to be done. I know you can't encroach from a penalty. But from a 21... I don't know why he said it to me the second time. Maybe Anthony Nash had a word with him. He wasn't too happy that I came off my line.
    "It happened. It's history now. And hopefully the referee won't give them any more handy 21-yard frees."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I would just about fancy Clare for this. Obviously there's a danger in expecting replays to follow the patterns of the drawn game, and it is possible that Clare may not dominate the middle third in the same fashion again. But at the same time, Clare just seem to be hurling exceptionally well right now and are making their opposition look ordinary.

The first real sign of them shifting up a gear was the Munster U21 final, where they could easily have beaten Tipp by 10-12 points and it wouldn't have flattered them. That Tipp team had looked extremely impressive to that point, and a lot of people favoured them to win that night, but the touch, striking, and speed of Clare's hurling was incredible. They were on another level.

And they carried that into the Limerick game, out-hurling Limerick throughout and never really looking like they were in significant danger. The consensus after that game was that Limerick, for various reasons, just hadn't delivered a performance and Clare were still relatively untested. But then they went and did the same thing to Cork. What's the narrative now? 'Cork couldn't be that bad again'.

I think Clare are simply playing the best hurling of any team around right now, with guys like Kelly, Collins, and McInerney in particular exemplifying the standard they are performing at, but not being outliers on the team either. That it took a nine point goal swing for Cork to draw shows just how well these guys are playing at the moment.

Somy gut feeling is Clare are probably going to play somewhere close to that standard again, and that Cork will have to tactically shift the pattern of the game in order to win. While I can see Cork getting 2-3 goals again, I do think Clare are capable of grabbing one as well as they created three good chances the last day without really looking for them.

Cork are going to have to find a way to get a bigger return on their own possessions, the puckout in particular, and keep the scoreboard ticking over. Clare are capable off short bursts of dominance where they hit 5-6 scores in a similar number of minutes and Cork can't just be relying on goals to counter that if they're to have a realistic chance of winning.

What that will require more than anything else is coping better with the Clare pressure in their own half of the field. In the drawn game they really struggled to deliver any high quality ball because of how quickly they had to move it. Without an extra man at the back as they had at the business end of the Kilkenny and Dublin games, Cork's short game suddenly looked very inadequate.

Can that be corrected? It's possible but they're going to have to match Clare's workrate and their forwards as individuals are going to have to do much, much better in presenting themselves as options for deliveries from deep.

If the game does follow the pattern of the draw, then I'd be surprised if Clare didn't win by 4-5 points. But even if it doesn't, it's going to require a big rethink on Cork's behalf to shift the balance of play back in their favour.

bruschi wrote: »
    how could Cork have one free man in the forwards if Clare play a sweeper?

Obviously, they will be bringing back one extra player to crowd up Corks forward line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Brilliant...:D

Advertisement