Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Clare v Cork All Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

could see daly in him as well...enjoyed that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yep, more like Davy Daly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

That's hilarious! He is a bit of a madmad is our Davy!

Deflects the attention from the players, so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I think we will still hit 20 points, we have been doing it all year and I don't think we will use a sweeper. There will have been a lot of work done with both squads since. I don't think ye will get 3 goals again but ye could get one or maybe 2 if ye are lucky. It's all to play for really.

If Clare get the space they did on the first day, then they will get 20+points. But you would be naive to think that Cork wouldnt tighten up on the Clare players and therefore i really couldnt see it happening this time. You are also forgetting that Cork are well capable of getting over 20points if they turn on the style. We almost hit 20 points against KK too. Everything is very low key in Cork regarding this final and training behind closed doors signfies this Cork team mean business. Clare will need goals to take Cork next day i feel. Any side can take this game. Hard game to predict winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Amprodude wrote: »
    If Clare get the space they did on the first day, then they will get 20+points. But you would be naive to think that Cork wouldnt tighten up on the Clare players and therefore i really couldnt see it happening this time. You are also forgetting that Cork are well capable of getting over 20points if they turn on the style. We almost hit 20 points against KK too. Everything is very low key in Cork regarding this final and training behind closed doors signfies this Cork team mean business. Clare will need goals to take Cork next day i feel. Any side can take this game. Hard game to predict winner.
    Absoultey, there is a huge sea of change,in the attuitde for saturday.Their firm focus has been this game ,for the last 20 days.

The players let themselves down,and id say on that,will only be one change when the team is named tonight.

As jbm said,cork got distracted by the occasion ,the next day all the focus was the match.Not many outsiders are giving cork a chance ,and the low key, build up,no pressure will help cork.

Clare are under huge pressure,the fact their more down the road in development than this cork side,and littered with all ireland medals at underage,their expected to win.

And the fact they should have won the last day,if they loose,it be hard for them to take.

It be another titantic battle.Clare were superb,but people need to bear in mind cork never brought any intensity or their first touch was awful,it certainly helped clare.

Their will be a difference in intensity and our first touch will be slicker and faster on saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Absoultey, there is a huge sea of change,in the attuitde for saturday.Their firm focus has been this game ,for the last 20 days.

The players let themselves down,and id say on that,will only be one change when the team is named tonight.

As jbm said,cork got distracted by the occasion ,the next day all the focus was the match.Not many outsiders are giving cork a chance ,and the low key, build up,no pressure will help cork.

Clare are under huge pressure,the fact their more down the road in development than this cork side,and littered with all ireland medals at underage,their expected to win.

And the fact they should have won the last day,if they loose,it be hard for them to take.

It be another titantic battle.Clare were superb,but people need to bear in mind cork never brought any intensity or their first touch was awful,it certainly helped clare.

Their will be a difference in intensity and our first touch will be slicker and faster on saturday.

You hope

You hope

It will. The question is will Clares?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

It will. The question is will Clares?

I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

This is delusional. Clare are further down the road in their development and are under huge pressure to win? In what universe? Clare have a team of players not long out of minor. Not getting relegated in the league and making an All-Ireland semi-final would have been most Clare people's idea of a good year back in January. If Cork are spinning these types of fables to give themselves confidence then it's all the same.

On the other point, obviously the Cork players have to tell themselves they weren't right for the last day. What else are they going to say? That they aren't good enough?

The only place where Cork can really turn the pattern of the game around is in the half-forward line. That's where Clare possibly over achieved and where Cork clearly got much less than they expected. But it's going to take a tactical adjustment from Cork to change things. If Cork go out with no new ideas then they're probably going to lose.

Henno30 wrote: »
    . If Cork are spinning these types of fables to give themselves confidence then it's all the same.

On the other point, obviously the Cork players have to tell themselves they weren't right for the last day. What else are they going to say? That they aren't good enough?

The only place where Cork can really turn the pattern of the game around is in the half-forward line. That's where Clare possibly over achieved and where Cork clearly got much less than they expected. But it's going to take a tactical adjustment from Cork to change things. If Cork go out with no new ideas then they're probably going to lose.

Cork narrowly lost to Clare in the relegation playoff after extra time. Cork beat Clare well in Munster back in June. Cork were off par last day out and still nearly beat Clare. Clare gave it everything last day and still couldn't win. Can they get better? Cork are well up for this. Everyone is expecting Clare to win, can they live up to expectation? We wait and see. Cork lying low under radar and nothing been said about them winning. Ideal position for them to be in.

• Advertisement

Is there such a thing as coming in under the radar or undetected in an All Ireland final?

FFS

I wonder which if any of the teams will be "up for it"?

This is delusional. Clare are further down the road in their development and are under huge pressure to win? In what universe? Clare have a team of players not long out of minor. Not getting relegated in the league and making an All-Ireland semi-final would have been most Clare people's idea of a good year back in January. If Cork are spinning these types of fables to give themselves confidence then it's all the same.

The average age of the teams is very similar,clare slighty younger.

With the greatest respect you havent got a clue where cork are coming from to say were not further down the road.
    I rememeber you posting on the clare thread before we met in june,with a all this so called tactial nous,how cork couldnt win ball in the air,but had to to let it run through ,and play ground hurling to win ,and how you couldnt c anything but a clare win.

If you had continued to share your pearls of wisom since then,after a loss,and not just accuse my thoughts as delusinoal on the eve of a final,i would take you seriously,with the greatest of respect.

You'd swear cork had ambitions of an all ireland at the start of the the year.If you care to actually read the cork thread,in january,or had any knowledge of us,since we have a panel without cahahalne,sweetnaham,gardiner,niall mac ,cadogan, etc the expectation was a div 1 status to be retained and a munster win would be great.

When paudie sul got injured and due to our injuries in the lead up to the clare game ,we were never given a chance.

Clare were expected to get to a munster final at the very least.The only game i felt cork were in with good chances and would win was the munster final and the dublin game.

Clare ,i said back when they got beaten,would still have a big say in the championship.Many felt the same.

You fail to grasp,or maybe you just dont know,but clare have 3 all irelands u21 in the bag,and been in a minor final.

Cork have won nothing bar a canon michael o brien trophy in january,hardly get excited by that.

Ye have played in two finals in croke park,a minor and u21 in fairness to where only three of our lads played in the minor final in 2007.

To say clare arent under more pressure is just rubbish.Clare are expected to win,as and rightly so they are a team of the future.

The likes of connor sul,joyce,kearney,harnedy ,it is their first real full season with the team.

Davy had clare for two years,the same panel.

Jbm took over two years ago but has made huge changes this year and its still very much a work in progress,and clare as a team are much further down the road than cork.

Clare were so much on top the last day,they are under huge pressure to win,as if they loose it will be the one that got away.

And with all their underage wins people expect with clare.Cork players are in bonus terriority and win or loose,with so many of last year panel gone,and so many injured and sick in every game so far ,have exceded all expectations and are the most improved team in the country,from where we had to come from.

Is there such a thing as coming in under the radar or undetected in an All Ireland final?

FFS

I wonder which if any of the teams will be "up for it"?

No hype ( not as if we need it) and nothing said in media about the players. Training behind closed doors, if thats not coming in under the radar, then i dont know what is.

Alot is been said about Clares past u21 successes as if that was a factor, Clare are playing a county with 30 All Irelands senior titles in an All Ireland Final. I dont care what some people say here but that is a factor in itself. It can make a team believe they are good enough eventhough they might not be. Just ask Kerry footballers anytime they are written off even with a poor team will always put up a show. Tradition i say again has its role to play. You can say the same about our hurlers in All Ireland Final day. If Clare dont play as good as the first day then I would be confident Cork will win handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

I think that going on replays in general, the first game will have little baring on the replay.

Cork I'm sure will feel they have plenty of scope for improvement.

Clare will feel that they played well and will need to repeat that performance level again.

I think it will be really close again but I will hope for a Clare win and that come the end of the game there will be no contentious referring decisions and that the only winner was hurling.

I think we will get that, I feel that if Cork or Clare are beaten fair and square, then JBM and Davy are not the type of managers to try to deflect attention onto the ref.
    Davy is generally happy to take all the blame himself, and JBM is a real gentleman.

(I know that Davy hinted he was unhappy with the ref after the drawn game, but I think that was exceptional and he was quite restrained. It was probably the worst refereeing display ever given in an All- Ireland)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It was probably the worst refereeing display ever given in an All- Ireland)

One of the worst displays of time-keeping anyway

Well it's debatable whether "minimum of two minutes" can equate to two and a half minutes.

Some of his decisions suggested poor understanding of the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

And with all their underage wins people expect with clare.Cork players are in bonus terriority and win or loose,with so many of last year panel gone,and so many injured and sick in every game so far ,have exceded all expectations and are the most improved team in the country,from where we had to come from.

Ah sure god love ye. Aren't ye great to be turning up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

And ignoring a deliberate strike to the head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

I think we will get that, I feel that if Cork or Clare are beaten fair and square, then JBM and Davy are not the type of managers to try to deflect attention onto the ref.
    Davy is generally happy to take all the blame himself, and JBM is a real gentleman.

(I know that Davy hinted he was unhappy with the ref after the drawn game, but I think that was exceptional and he was quite restrained. It was probably the worst refereeing display ever given in an All- Ireland)

You're having a laugh right? He's moaned non-stop about it. He did the very same after the Munster semi-final in Limerick. The guy is a serial moaner.

• Advertisement

Ah sure god love ye. Aren't ye great to be turning up at all?

Its an achievement for a county rated 6th best before chsmpionship started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Its an achievement for a county rated 6th best before chsmpionship started.

In fairness at the start of the year I dont think anyone would have picked either Clare or Cork to be pucking a ball in September!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I normally bold the part of a post that I disagree with or find silly, but I thought in this case it would be just easier to highlight the actual only part of your post that wasn't off the wall.

No way you wrote all that with a straight face?? Am I right??

In fairness at the start of the year I dont think anyone would have picked either Clare or Cork to be pucking a ball in September!!

Absloutley,your correct.No pundits would have said any of the two,but if you were given a choice of clare or cork,in may you would have said clare had a better chance and the way the draw worked out in the end.

A lot of pundits did say clare could win a munster,but no one even mentioned cork.

In the sunday game preview,not one said cork ,in a munster final,but felt clare would shake it up.

John mullane said cork were in dire trouble and a lot of geuine cork fans were the same,as we had so many absentees for one reason or another,and compared to last year, bar harnedy, a weaker panel.

Sweetnahm, cadogan,and paudie sul,are huge losses to cork.

Absloutley,your correct.No pundits would have said any of the two,but if you were given a choice of clare or cork,in may you would have said clare had a better chance and the way the draw worked out in the end.

A lot of pundits did say clare could win a munster,but no one even mentioned cork.

In the sunday game preview,not one said cork ,in a munster final,but felt clare would shake it up.

John mullane said cork were in dire trouble and a lot of geuine cork fans were the same,as we had so many absentees for one reason or another,and compared to last year, bar harnedy, a weaker panel.

Sweetnahm, cadogan,and paudie sul,are huge losses to cork.

Agreed. It was great work by JBM to bring them to where they are today. Galway need a figure like him over them up there I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

shamco wrote: »
    And ignoring a deliberate strike to the head

He didn't see the incident, he ignored nothing.

He ignored the Clare keeper thinking he was playing a rugby match charging down a conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Don't really see why lads are still on about the refereeing the last day, different ref the next day. The one thing he will be watching out for I'd say is for defenders coming off the line for pens/21s after all the commotion of the last day.

Regarding the replay, if Clare can bag a goal I think they've a great chance of winning. A goal would be a huge lift, easier said than done however.
    If Clare give Nash as many chances as the last day, I'd expect a higher return than 1 for 3. That's something Clare have to cut out.

Weather should be good anyhow, tickets way scarcer than the drawn game.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Hey boys and girls,

Im over in Canada atm and every "Irish" bar isn't showing the match this Saturday :rolleyes:
    Anyone else trying to watch this abroad? Or does anyone know of a reliable source where it'll be streamed? Thanks.

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Hey boys and girls,

Im over in Canada atm and every "Irish" bar isn't showing the match this Saturday :rolleyes:
    Anyone else trying to watch this abroad? Or does anyone know of a reliable source where it'll be streamed? Thanks.

Ah your no good, my friend is flying back from Toranto for it :D....still havent got tickets for him though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Don't really see why lads are still on about the refereeing the last day, different ref the next day. The one thing he will be watching out for I'd say is for defenders coming off the line for pens/21s after all the commotion of the last day.

Regarding the replay, if Clare can bag a goal I think they've a great chance of winning. A goal would be a huge lift, easier said than done however.
    If Clare give Nash as many chances as the last day, I'd expect a higher return than 1 for 3. That's something Clare have to cut out.

Weather should be good anyhow, tickets way scarcer than the drawn game.

Agree about the tickets but the weather is promised bad

Advertisement