Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Glasgow V Leinster KO: 19:35 TG4/BBC Alba

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

blackdog1 wrote: »
    When I was playing rugby props were always pillars to take any big guys who picked from base of ruck. Scrumhalf usually stayed behind ruck to take anyone who went over the ruck. Thing is ross should have had scrum half and any ball back inside from scrumhalf. Mccarthy should have had first receiver. As soon as man came round the corner and took the ball of cusiter the man outside mccarthy took mccarthys man. Mccarthy should have stepped in and taken msn and ball..instead in no mans land and tackled nothing...he gave ross too much to do
    It certainly wasn't Ross's man. He did well to put a hand on him at all.

Yeah that's what I meant. Ross was where he was meant to be but because those outside him weren't the defensive line was compromised at that point.
    blackdog1 wrote: »
    Think it was more tit goe tat myself a great battle..proper scrum battle. Disappointed in jack though thought we only put pressure on their tighthead when healey came on. Thought scrum really improved when toner came on and was behind ross

There was one scrum when Ross was on that we got spanked in and Ross did bore in on another. But the whole time the Glasgow LH was trying to pull Ross down and for the most part Ross went nowhere. I don't understand why refs don't ping that more though. Props are not allowed to pull the man they're bound to down and surely this is the cause of a lot of collapsed scrums no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

That's what I saw too, Ryan was blatantly pulling down on his bind. There was one scrum when the ref was watching their side, where he didn't pull and the scrum was won by Glasgow....maybe he didn't even need to be up to shenanegans.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hmmm.

Leinster were well beaten, flattered by the score. Bit worrying really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

danthefan wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I know it's no excuse but...

Fanning pulled up just before the match started. Lote in. Back line jumbled.

Lote off injured. RK in. 2 10's 2 15's on the pitch.

Jennings off injured. Lose our groundhog, captain, leader. Ryan is a good player but Jennings is a great player.

There was no cohesion. Glasgow were great at the breakdown (or we were poor). We missed a ruck operator. Kev Mc was fairly anonymous unfortunately.

There was no clean ball for the backs to work with. It was scrappy.

But the thing to remember: we got the BP playing like sh!te! Before the match had someone said "losing BP away to Glasgow in a close scoring game" we would have said yes.

It's 3 games in. Win some. Lose some. Draw some. Things can only get better and we have some great players to come back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The one thing we really learnt from the game is unless it loosens up Gopperth couldn't organise his backline into any sort of incisive call. Most of the time he just wanted to put it through the hands. I'm not entirely sure Madigan could do that either, he's not exactly the playmaker 10 sterotype, but he has shown glimpses of it before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Hersheys wrote: »

Jennings off injured. Lose our groundhog, captain, leader. Ryan is a good player but Jennings is a great player.

There was no cohesion. Glasgow were great at the breakdown (or we were poor). We missed a ruck operator. Kev Mc was fairly anonymous unfortunately.

But the thing to remember: we got the BP playing like sh!te! Before the match had someone said "losing BP away to Glasgow in a close scoring game" we would have said yes.

It's 3 games in. Win some. Lose some. Draw some. Things can only get better and we have some great players to come back in.

One more thing: It was Glasgow away. Let's not forget this team beat Ulster in Ravenhill, and are now regular play-off contenders. Their defense was great, and they played a very aggressive game which worked well for them. Their attack was awful though, not to mention the place kicking.

Having slept on it, I'm not too pressed. We got the bonus point and the ****e game out of our system. I'd imagine we should flatted Cardiff which should springboard us nicely for Thomand Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hersheys wrote: »

The players coming back in is the biggest thing for me. The two main issues are the lack of a threat at the breakdown in defence, and go forward ball.

With that in mind you could hardly find 4 better players to bring in than Healy, SOB, Heaslip and BOD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Off the back of that performance you'd have to be delighted with the losing bonus point.

When should we expect an squad update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

danthefan wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Ah, Dan, what's happened to handy bullet point form?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Biggest worry for me was breakdown and restarts. Never competed at restarts and they seemed to be slowing our ball down with 2 players at every ruck while we were putting 5 men in. They had numbers every time in defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Phoeey

molloyjh wrote: »
    In fairness that close to the line when the defensive line politely stood aside it's hard to blame him. Rossy was the pillar off the ruck but there was no post (should that have been McCarthy?) which meant our scrummie had to push Ross out to the post position and take up the pillar position himself. Ross wasn't able to get into position properly and couldn't make the tackle. Our defensive organisation for that was really poor. Hard to expect much from your full-back at that stage, especially against a forward with momentum.

You'd at least expect him to commit himself physically to the tackle. He's just so passive in the tackle which is really in contrast to his aggression in offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Teferi wrote: »
    Off the back of that performance you'd have to be delighted with the losing bonus point.

When should we expect an squad update?

I'd expect it on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

It should be noted that Healy seemed to be pulling down on the jersey a fair bit when he came on too and never got pinged for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

shuffol wrote: »
    It should be noted that Healy seemed to be pulling down on the jersey a fair bit when he came on too and never got pinged for it.

Glasgow were doing it a lot before healy got on. Recon its more of a case of get what ya give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Unrelated to the game but I'm really beginning to go off Neil Francis in a big way. He was on the last word the other night talking about the weekends rugby and made some bad errors, said on a few occasions that Ruan wasn't available to Ulster because he was playing agains the AB's this weekend

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm tossing up switching over to watch the Americas cup.... Sailing or rugby....

Sailing turning into a bit of a disaster for NZ. The word choke has reared its head on NZ websites...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Sailing turning into a bit of a disaster for NZ. The word choke has reared its head on NZ websites...

Yeah, it's bad - it is almost RWC 1991-2011 levels of choke.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, it's bad - it is almost RWC 1991-2011 levels of choke.

We can still win so it's not quite that bad yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

9 votes (10th was yours truly) for John Hayes is a ligind!

You're getting there lads, you're getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

9 votes (10th was yours truly) for John Hayes is a ligind!

You're getting there lads, you're getting there.

Soft hands like that only come along once in a generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I did it for Thomand

Advertisement