Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Glasgow V Leinster KO: 19:35 TG4/BBC Alba

Options
  • 20-09-2013 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

DISCLAIMER: Table is shamelessly copied and pasted from molloyj's last match thread. :pac:

leinster.gif
    |
    glasgow_warriors.png

15: Ian Madigan|15: Stuart Hogg
    14: Dave Kearney|14: Sean Lamont
    13: Brendan Macken|13: Mark Bennett
    12: Gordon D'Arcy|12: Alex Dunbar
    11: Darragh Fanning|11: DTH van der Merwe
    10: Jimmy Gopperth|10: Ruaridh Jackson
    9: Isaac Boss |9: Chris Cusiter
    |
    1: Jack McGrath|1: Ryan Grant
    2: Richardt Strauss|2: Pat McArthur
    3: Mike Ross|3: Jon Welsh
    4: Mike McCarthy|4: Jonny Gray
    5: Tom Denton|5: Tim Swinson
    6: Kevin McLaughlin|6: Rob Harley
    7: Shane Jennings |7: Chris Fusaro
    8: Jordi Murphy |8: Richie Vernon
    |
    16: Aaron Dundon|16: Dougie Hall
    17: Cian Healy|17: Jerry Yanuyanutawa
    18: Martin Moore|18: Ed Kalman
    19: Devin Toner|19: James Eddies
    20: Dippy|20: Josh Strauss
    21: Eoin Reddan|21: Henry Pyrgos
    22: Noel Reid|22: Scott Wight
    23: Rob Kearney|23: Byron McGuigan

Arguably MOC's biggest test yet. the buildup has been dominated (at least on boards....) by the discussion on Madigan at 15. Personally, I don't think it's a case of Gopperth over Madigan. It's MOC using his resources at hand, and giving both his fly-halves game time leading up to the all important next few weeks.

I'm not going to go deeper, I wouldn't do it justice. All I'll say is that Glasgow are (thankfully) becoming a force to be reckoned with in the Pro12, so this won't be easy.

Prediction:

Head: Glasgow by 7.

Heart: Leinster with a trademark Madigan try to win it at the death.

Who will win? 31 votes

Glasgow
    0% 0 votes
    Leinster
    38% 12 votes
    Draw
    61% 19 votes
    Obligatory John Hayes is a ligind option. (for Thomand)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I'm just looking forward to the TG4 commentator trying to pronounce "Yanuyanutawa".

Glasgow to edge it I think, a losing BP would be a decent result. Hoping for more strong displays from Macken and McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm just looking forward to the TG4 commentator trying to pronounce "Yanuyanutawa".

If he fudges it most viewers will still think he's speaking Irish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

Does anyone know if I can get this match in English commentary, on radio or online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

As I said in Leinster thread, this is a big, big game even at this stage.
    A win would be a great start, a loss, not great.

Think we'll be up against it a bit personally, hopefully the extra class of Healy, Toner, Kearney, Ryan, Reddan coming on will sway it slightly.

Backrow battle should be tasty, and they've Strauss to come on too.

Dave Kearney anytime tryscorer by the way. You heard it here first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I have to say. The story of Darragh Fannings progression to Leinster starter is fantastic. Fair play to the guy, real decent winger too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I have to say. The story of Darragh Fannings progression to Leinster starter is fantastic. Fair play to the guy, real decent winger too

I'll reserve judgement on how good he is at this level until I see a few more home games. He looks solid when he receives the ball, but he was very naive in defence in the RDS last week which you wouldn't really pick up on camera.

Having said that fair play to him, real roy of the rovers kind of story.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

why are they still resting the likes of rob Kearney when Sexton has four club games under his belt already? surely all the lions aren't injured at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I think it's a case of being in the right place at the right time. Between injuries, retirements, transfers and the player welfare program he pretty much has ended up with the chance of a lifetime to get some uninterrupted game time at Leinster that ordinarily he wouldn't be able to get and is taking his chance to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

why are they still resting the likes of rob Kearney when Sexton has four club games under his belt already? surely all the lions aren't injured at the same time?

Our player welfare system is ridiculously OTT. Although Sexton probably has played a bit too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

You may or may not have noticed but it's the same at every province, the internationals are being phased in very slowly.

This is actually early compared to previous seasons, you'd often have not had internationals back until the start of October in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Whats the story with Manawatu?

Scared the shyte out of me every time he got the ball last time. Even if he couldnt pass to save his life!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »
    Whats the story with Manawatu?

Scared the shyte out of me every time he got the ball last time. Even if he couldnt pass to save his life!

Out with a metatarsal injury I think

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

.ak wrote: »
    real roy of the rovers kind of story.

The BEST Roy Of The Rover story! http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/sep/05/harry-redknapp-played-fan-west-ham

Guy gives a West Ham player so much abuse that Harry pulls him out of the crowd, gets him kitted out and subs him on for the player in question :D

dregin wrote: »
    The BEST Roy Of The Rover story! http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/sep/05/harry-redknapp-played-fan-west-ham

Guy gives a West Ham player so much abuse that Harry pulls him out of the crowd, gets him kitted out and subs him on for the player in question :D

There's a moral in there somewhere.... Only in footie the more you abuse someone the greater the rewards. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Our player welfare system is ridiculously OTT. Although Sexton probably has played a bit too much

I think it's a combination of both our welfare system being OTT but also the French not giving a fu*k about the players outside of what's best for the club, so flog them to death.

An interesting example is Leinster resting Rob Kearney (I think it was?) for both finals last season in order to not risk him losing out on the Lions tour, but in France, not only would they play a half fit player in a final if he was good enough, but actually fired Nathan Hines for GOING on a Lions tour. (fired might be a bit strong, don't know the ins and outs of it, but was let go from the club anyway and was a free agent joining Leinster)

It's certainly one of the attractions players enjoy in remaining in Ireland, your welfare and career is respected. Not the case in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think it's a combination of both our welfare system being OTT but also the French not giving a fu*k about the players outside of what's best for the club, so flog them to death.

An interesting example is Leinster resting Rob Kearney (I think it was?) for both finals last season in order to not risk him losing out on the Lions tour, but in France, not only would they play a half fit player in a final if he was good enough, but actually fired Nathan Hines for GOING on a Lions tour. (fired might be a bit strong, don't know the ins and outs of it, but was let go from the club anyway and was a free agent joining Leinster)

Didn't Hines refuse to play in a final for Perpignan so he could go meet up with the Lions? If I remember right he walked out on them, rather than the other way around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was Hines last season there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Tuqiri starts for fanning...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lote Tuqiri in!

• Advertisement

Oooh goody!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It was Hines last season there anyway.

Yeah he only left a couple of weeks early. But I still would be pissed off if someone did that to Leinster. Especially an Ozzie for a Lions tour!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah he only left a couple of weeks early. But I still would be pissed off if someone did that to Leinster. Especially an Ozzie for a Lions tour!

A Lions tour is a protected international window isn't it?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    A Lions tour is a protected international window isn't it?

I don't think the week he left was. Maybe it was though.

Andy Irvine is saying they're hoping to get the window pushed two weeks earlier for Lions seasons though in a recent article I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lote Tuqiri in!
    Excellent - dying to see him in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

as excited I am to see Tuiquri, you have to feel for Fanning*..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Whatever poster had that source which said lote was playing, it's one hell of a source...

Interesting, might take him a while to get up to speed.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Whatever poster had that source which said lote was playing, it's one hell of a source...

Yeah, but it looked kinda like a last minute change? Is Fanning on the bench or dropped all together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Is the game on live in tg4.ie does anyone know?

Advertisement