Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Glasgow V Leinster KO: 19:35 TG4/BBC Alba

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

All the key moments are on www.youtube.com/user/RaboDirectPRO12

You're a grave man if you can watch any of that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

The lads will get their act together in the next few games with Jamie, SOB, McFadden, Fitz and BOD all to return, add to that the fact that Healy, Rob and Red never even started tonight so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Ah right, just wrong then, I see.

As apposed to..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

A more discerning cut of the highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

P_1 wrote: »
    To say that this match is about as exciting as watching paint dry would be an insult to the good folk at Dulex

Watching the game now as I recorded it. I'm fast forwarding through it trying to find highlights and I still managed to doze off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Clearlier wrote: »
    A more discerning cut of the highlights.

Just about watchable that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Jaaaayyyyysus. Recorded the game and just watched it back. I hope that it was some class of rugby purgatory and we have now earned the right to enjoy a season of entertaining and well-executed rugby from here on in.

Excruciating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Didn't see the game. How did Madigan do? What happened with the scrum? Was it our fault or the refs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It was an interesting ref performance, by no means at fault, but one of the more interesting interpratations of the new laws I've seen so far. If anything, Leinster got away with more than we should have at scrum time in another (increasingly concerning) terrible scrum performance.

Madigan was decent from 15, Gopperth had a game to forget.

But to sum up the game in three words, Leinster were sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

finatron wrote: »
    was watching Munster have the Leinster match recorded looking at the posts here does not sound much better than the Munster game should i just delete it ?

Gonna download the Munster game in the morning. Was it a bad game? Couldn't have been worse than the muck served up at scoutstoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It was an interesting ref performance, by no means at fault, but one of the more interesting interpratations of the new laws I've seen so far. If anything, Leinster got away with more than we should have at scrum time in another (increasingly concerning) terrible scrum performance.

Madigan was decent from 15, Gopperth had a game to forget.

But to sum up the game in three words, Leinster were sh*te.

Both players had average games IMO. As an example for Madigan, I recall him taking an eternity to try and clear the ball from the Leinster line and getting caught in the tackle before he could get his clearance away. As an example for Gopperth, he missed touch with a penalty.

The whole Leinster team was poor from 1 to 15, I don't think anyone enhanced their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It didn't help that we had two 10s and two 15s on the pitch for most of the time. Our backline had no real direction.

.ak wrote: »
    It didn't help that we had two 10s and two 15s on the pitch for most of the time. Our backline had no real direction.

The biggest problem I thought was the defense. Sooooo passive. Compare with the Glasgow version. Glasgow made hard work of winning that game, mainly through the usual Scottish trait of having no idea how to use the ball close to the tryline (and their woeful goalkicking), but in reality Leinster weren't at the races. Would have been ironic if Leinster had snatched victory at the end there.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Both players had average games IMO. As an example for Madigan, I recall him taking an eternity to try and clear the ball from the Leinster line and getting caught in the tackle before he could get his clearance away. As an example for Gopperth, he missed touch with a penalty.

The whole Leinster team was poor from 1 to 15, I don't think anyone enhanced their reputation.

Strauss and Toner (when he came on) both worked their socks off in fairness and both played well. Toner has to start in Thomand and Liberty.

Stand outs for me were the two returning Lions. Healy was every where and RK added a presence to the backline - aside from his impression of last up tackling that let a try in.

Stand outs for me were the two returning Lions. Healy was every where and RK added a presence to the backline - aside from his impression of last up tackling that let a try in.

In fairness that close to the line when the defensive line politely stood aside it's hard to blame him. Rossy was the pillar off the ruck but there was no post (should that have been McCarthy?) which meant our scrummie had to push Ross out to the post position and take up the pillar position himself. Ross wasn't able to get into position properly and couldn't make the tackle. Our defensive organisation for that was really poor. Hard to expect much from your full-back at that stage, especially against a forward with momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I thought Macken was one of the better players. At least he wasn't passive in defence.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Strauss and Toner (when he came on) both worked their socks off in fairness and both played well. Toner has to start in Thomand and Liberty.

I could agree with that. Mike Ross needs to come up to speed fast, that wasn't his finest hour last night. On the other hand, as .ak pointed out, Healy looked in reasonable nick for first game back.

I could agree with that. Mike Ross needs to come up to speed fast, that wasn't his finest hour last night. On the other hand, as .ak pointed out, Healy looked in reasonable nick for first game back.

Yeah our scrum has been in serious trouble a few times this season, with different THs. Don't really know what to make of it. The TH locks have varied as well. And that seems to be the side we're suffering on most.

I'd also be very worried about leadership, or the lack of it. With Leo injured and Heaslip not back yet we don't seem to have anyone taking charge. And with it probably being Leos last season that's something that needs to be addressed badly.

I thought Ross had Grant's number last night. He was using his weight to pull out Grant's legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

This match thread made worse reading than Munster's game, sounded like lots of errors, some expected so early in the season.

What's the story with the injuries, particularly Jennings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

molloyjh wrote: »
    In fairness that close to the line when the defensive line politely stood aside it's hard to blame him. Rossy was the pillar off the ruck but there was no post (should that have been McCarthy?) which meant our scrummie had to push Ross out to the post position and take up the pillar position himself. Ross wasn't able to get into position properly and couldn't make the tackle. Our defensive organisation for that was really poor. Hardwick to expect much from your full-back at that stage, especially against a forward with momentum.

When I was playing rugby props were always pillars to take any big guys who picked from base of ruck. Scrumhalf usually stayed behind ruck to take anyone who went over the ruck. Thing is ross should have had scrum half and any ball back inside from scrumhalf. Mccarthy should have had first receiver. As soon as man came round the corner and took the ball of cusiter the man outside mccarthy took mccarthys man. Mccarthy should have stepped in and taken msn and ball..instead in no mans land and tackled nothing...he gave ross too much to do

I thought Ross had Grant's number last night. He was using his weight to pull out Grant's legs.

Think it was more tit goe tat myself a great battle..proper scrum battle. Disappointed in jack though thought we only put pressure on their tighthead when healey came on. Thought scrum really improved when toner came on and was behind ross

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It certainly wasn't Ross's man. He did well to put a hand on him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hagz wrote: »
    I thought Macken was one of the better players. At least he wasn't passive in defence.

Yeah it wasn't a performance most will pick up on for obvious enough reasons, the backline was a shambles and by the time the ball got out to 13 there was nowhere to go, but on several occasions he was (by my reckoning) for the first time ever pressing hard in defence, shooting out of the line and making the hit. It was obviously an order coming down from above but he executed it very well more than once. It was the missing piece of the jigsaw for him, hope he keeps it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Think it was more tit goe tat myself a great battle..proper scrum battle. Disappointed in jack though thought we only put pressure on their tighthead when healey came on. Thought scrum really improved when toner came on and was behind ross

That was a different TH though and one more renowned for his ball carrying than is scrummaging. Your right about Toner though, another non show from Denton, I kept looking out for him but he was barely involved, think he was the one who got sidestepped in midfield by one of the glasgow forwards in the first half. Think it could've been a prop too.

I thought Grant was boring in. Nevertheless, he won a fair few scrum penalties from the ref. But aside from Ross struggling a bit at scrumtime, he seemed laboured around the field. In general, the clearing out of rucks left a bit to be desired. If Mike McCarthy was called Richie Gray, IBF would have already posted multiple times, he seems to have gone back a fair bit from his international displays for Ireland. It's a pity Leinster didn't let Connacht keep McCarthy, and pick up Craig Clarke instead...

shuffol wrote: »
    That was a different TH though and one more renowned for his ball carrying than is scrummaging. Your right about Toner though, another non show from Denton, I kept looking out for him but he was barely involved, think he was the one who got sidestepped in midfield by one of the glasgow forwards in the first half. Think it could've been a prop too.

Jack was up against a coverted loose head in john welsh...should have done alot better. I think welsh was binding on jacks arm but camera was on the wrong side so couldn't see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

You could see the moment Strauss lifted his foot to hook, the scrum disintegrated, teams are going to have to find a way to remedy that, the attacking team is at a major disadvantage. You really really don't want an attacking scrum on your own 5m line, if it had been Leo Auva'a instead of Jordi Murphy at 8 we would have conceded a try in that exact sceario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I thought Grant was boring in. Nevertheless, he won a fair few scrum penalties from the ref. But aside from Ross struggling a bit at scrumtime, he seemed laboured around the field. In general, the clearing out of rucks left a bit to be desired. If Mike McCarthy was called Richie Gray, IBF would have already posted multiple times, he seems to have gone back a fair bit from his international displays for Ireland. It's a pity Leinster didn't let Connacht keep McCarthy, and pick up Craig Clarke instead...

He'd also have to have a big stupid head of blonde hair to make him easier to watch!

He didn't seem to be anywhere near as bad. But if I get a chance to watch it again I'll keep an eye out for a few flubbed clearouts.

Advertisement