Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connor in more trouble

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Morf wrote: »
    Isn't Henry Speight another year away from Aus eligibility?

No, I think (but could be wrong) that he can play the AIs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Didn't realise Barnes had already gone overseas..

I think so, but could be wrong. Kiwi_knock is the resident expert on the forum for all things Australian rugby, he might know for sure. I see they called up Peter Bethan for JOC, Luke Morahan of Reds v Lions fame must have been close I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I think so, but could be wrong. Kiwi_knock is the resident expert on the forum for all things Australian rugby, he might know for sure. I see they called up Peter Bethan for JOC, Luke Morahan of Reds v Lions fame must have been close I would have thought.

Just looked it up.. He's gone to the Panasonic Wild Knights... The Japanese have THE best names for teams..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Swiwi. wrote: »
    No, I think (but could be wrong) that he can play the AIs.

He's Fijian but went to school in NZ.

Not sure if he's already qualified for both. Thought I'd heard something about NZ calling but he was happy to wait for Aus eligibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Thats from the goal or point to the bounce. That time doesn't include repositioning yourself in preparation. So most quarters last from twenty five to thirty five minutes. Even the linesman runs the ball back to the centre, there is hardly any let up. Much to the annoyance of the station's commercials.

Put aside the best part of two and a half hours for a game.

Sorry but I couldn't help myself.....its a rubbish game. Pure and simple.

Theres no tactics - the players just chase after the ball and pass to anyone in space.

No tactical subs- they cant sub a player to change the game - its roll on / roll off subs which means about 70 subs a match.

Its too easy to score and the games are rarely close - one team can win a match by up to 80 points. Its just non stop scoring the whole time. There can be nearly 300 points being scored in a single game.

The line outs are a joke - when the ball goes out of play the ref just throws the ball from behind his back and onto the field of play.

Plus the game is too long. Its goes on for 2.5 to nearly 3 hours.

Ive watched alot of afl and the footie show because the gf family are mad about it. Not once have i ever heard anybody discussing tactics on how to win.

Cant for the life of me understand why afl gets the coverage it does in melbourne.

Plus i got refused entry to a game because i wasnt wearing a collared shirt. The jerseys themselves arent even collared.

The crowd are terrible - no chanting or chearing. Just full of familys. Give me a boozed up rugby cheering crowd anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

GiftofGab wrote: »

Theres no tactics - the players just chase after the ball and pass to anyone in space.

No tactical subs- they cant sub a player to change the game - its roll on / roll off subs which means about 70 subs a match.

Its too easy to score and the games are rarely close - one team can win a match by up to 80 points. Its just non stop scoring the whole time. There can be nearly 300 points being scored in a single game.

The line outs are a joke - when the ball goes out of play the ref just throws the ball from behind his back and onto the field of play.

Ive watched alot of afl and the footie show because the gf family are mad about it. Not once have i ever heard anybody discussing tactics on how to win.

Cant for the life of me understand why afl gets the coverage it does in melbourne.

Plus i got refused entry to a game because i wasnt wearing a collared shirt. The jerseys themselves arent even collared.

The crowd are terrible - no chanting or chearing. Just full of familys. Give me a boozed up rugby cheering crowd anyday.

All valid points.. There's no denying the fitness required though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

GiftofGab wrote: »

What? AFL stadia have bouncers now? Have to say that's a very strange entrance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

ColmH81 wrote: »
    All valid points.. There's no denying the fitness required though...

Not saying anything about the players - they're unbelievable athletes.....big, fit, fast and strong. Its just a pity they're playing afl

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Please stay on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

Bogota wrote: »
    It really doesn't. The Australian media don't hold back when their national players get themselves involved in these sort of incidents. That is simply not the case here. I went to school in one of the big 6 rugby schools so I'm on personal terms with a lot of current players playing in Leinster, Connacht and Ulster and to be perfectly frank you don't even hear 10% of what goes on. Theres a serious amount of covering up. Incidents in nightclubs and claims being brought only for the CCTV tape to go missing, that sort of carry on. Those in charge of the provinces do their uptmost to keep these things out of the papers and its extremely rare for these things to make it to court (obviously when they do the papers will report it like Harrison-Wrigt, Barnes, Howlett, Ferris) but 90% of the time an agreement will be reached or some other underhanded tactics to ensure claims aren't made.

But sure, only Australian rugby players behave like this :rolleyes:
    Do you have examples of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Posts deleted - just to clarify, rumours and gossip are fine, however we cannot allow speculation on possible legal defamation on boards unless otherwise confirmed by other sources.

Advertisement