Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connor in more trouble

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What he's done here isn't really a biggie if you ask me. Not a great thing to happen but not terrible either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Bogota wrote: »
    It really doesn't. The Australian media don't hold back when their national players get themselves involved in these sort of incidents. That is simply not the case here. I went to school in one of the big 6 rugby schools so I'm on personal terms with a lot of current players playing in Leinster, Connacht and Ulster and to be perfectly frank you don't even hear 10% of what goes on. Theres a serious amount of covering up. Incidents in nightclubs and claims being brought only for the CCTV tape to go missing, that sort of carry on. Those in charge of the provinces do their uptmost to keep these things out of the papers and its extremely rare for these things to make it to court (obviously when they do the papers will report it like Harrison-Wrigt, Barnes, Howlett, Ferris) but 90% of the time an agreement will be reached or some other underhanded tactics to ensure claims aren't made.

But sure, only Australian rugby players behave like this :rolleyes:

This actually happens in my town with the GAA and Rugby lads aswell, Youd think them fecking Aussies would learn how to do a cover up :pac:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What he's done here isn't really a biggie if you ask me. Not a great thing to happen but not terrible either.

if it was AN Other, I'd agree.

But given previous, the fact he's 'in limbo' with regards finding a new team etc, this is just not sweep-under-the-carpet-able.

He's a grown man and what he does outside of rugby is his own business as long as he does it on the field. But, even given that proviso, it would seem prudent to not get in the paper for this kind of stuff given his already tarnished profile.

Himself and Bieber doing their best to drop the squeaky clean image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Straw. Camel's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I heard a whisper here in Brisbane last week that he was heading to France. (only a whisper)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

I heard a whisper here in Brisbane last week that he was heading to France. (only a whisper)

French clubs seem to be linked with everyone... Just read now that Conor Murray is being linked with Bayonne and Toulouse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

ColmH81 wrote: »
    French clubs seem to be linked with everyone... Just read now that Conor Murray is being linked with Bayonne and Toulouse...

Phillips won't like that

Phillips won't like that

You'd wonder how much truth is in it.. I heard Flood is being linked with Toulon...

You'd wonder how much truth is in it.. I heard Flood is being linked with Toulon...

Flood is a very good outhalf. Would think there would be a lot of interest for him anyway

Flood is a very good outhalf. Would think there would be a lot of interest for him anyway

Yeah, but when you have Wilko, would you want Flood??(IMO Flood is very hit and miss)..

• Advertisement

Yeah, but when you have Wilko, would you want Flood??(IMO Flood is very hit and miss)..

He's retiring at the end of the season though !

He's retiring at the end of the season though !

Oh sh*t... Seriously?? I didn't know that..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Oh sh*t... Seriously?? I didn't know that..

The guy is like, 45 or something.

.ak wrote: »
    The guy is like, 45 or something.

Still well able to do the job... Would have him over most other 10s...(except Sexton of course.. ha)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

if it was AN Other, I'd agree.

But given previous, the fact he's 'in limbo' with regards finding a new team etc, this is just not sweep-under-the-carpet-able.

He's a grown man and what he does outside of rugby is his own business as long as he does it on the field. But, even given that proviso, it would seem prudent to not get in the paper for this kind of stuff given his already tarnished profile.

Himself and Bieber doing their best to drop the squeaky clean image
    Swiwi. wrote: »
    Straw. Camel's back.

Yeah the timing isn't great due to his current job situation and what's gone on before but it's still not a biggie for me. It could well have been that the airline made a balls up with his seats and he got annoyed at this. As soon as he started to tell them his thoughts on the matter, they smelled a bit of booze and used that to imply he was drunk. Did he rebook his flights with the smae airline? I dunno.

Equally he could have been throwing a strop!

JOC: Do you KNOW who I am?
    Airline: You're Mr O'Connor.
    JOC: I play rugby you know!
    Airline: That's great who do you play for?
    JOC: Australia and I used to play for the Melbourne Rebels
    Airline: I love the Kangaroos but it's the Storm in Melbourne not the Rebels
    JOC: No, I play rugby
    Airline: Yeah, I love League
    JOC: No, I play RUGBY
    Airline: Security we have a delirious drunk here!

Yeah the timing isn't great due to his current job situation and what's gone on before but it's still not a biggie for me. It could well have been that the airline made a balls up with his seats and he got annoyed at this. As soon as he started to tell them his thoughts on the matter, they smelled a bit of booze and used that to imply he was drunk. Did he rebook his flights with the smae airline? I dunno.

Hahaha.. That actually made me laugh...

Dont like to ruin the story, but dont they call League footie

i thought afl was footie, no?

Was League to anybody from Sydney/Melbourne, they actually got quiet knarky about calling it anything else

astonaidan wrote: »
    Dont like to ruin the story, but dont they call League footie

Ah don't ruin it.. Haha.. Valid point though.. :-(

• Advertisement

They call both of them footie, quite confusing I must admit. AFL is s superb spectacle to watch live, those guys are super fit. Four half hour quarters with little static positioning.

Thats if you can handle sitting with the Bogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They call both of them footie, quite confusing I must admit. AFL is s superb spectacle to watch live, those guys are super fit. Four half hour quarters with little static positioning.

Thats if you can handle sitting with the Bogans.

20 minute quarters!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

He has been stood down indefinitely. http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-coach-ewen-mckenzie-breaks-his-silence-on-james-oconnors-latest-off-field-incident/story-e6frf55l-1226723773882#.UjwMIH-wX88

Peter Betham replaces him in the squad. I supposed they can afford to omit him from the squad for the next two games because with or without him they are going to lose against SA and the match against Argentina will be close. However I am not sure he can be left out in the long term. The quality of wingers in Australia at the moment is not that high; Tomane has failed to impress so far and all the rest are either uncapped or inexperienced. Cummins is probably the best option but he has his occasional brain farts. I still say give him a year with the Force and see if the change of environment does anything for him.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    He has been stood down indefinitely. http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/wallabies-coach-ewen-mckenzie-breaks-his-silence-on-james-oconnors-latest-off-field-incident/story-e6frf55l-1226723773882#.UjwMIH-wX88

Peter Betham replaces him in the squad. I supposed they can afford to omit him from the squad for the next two games because with or without him they are going to lose against SA and the match against Argentina will be close. However I am not sure he can be left out in the long term. The quality of wingers in Australia at the moment is not that high; Tomane has failed to impress so far and all the rest are either uncapped or inexperienced. Cummins is probably the best option but he has his occasional brain farts. I still say give him a year with the Force and see if the change of environment does anything for him.

What about Folau... Surely he could be moved to the wing, and they could bring in a full back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

What about Folau... Surely he could be moved to the wing, and they could bring in a full back?

Reports seem to suggest that Folau will be playing at 13 with the Tahs this year, and with Australia keen to give him more ball I can see him being played at 13 as well for Australia.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Reports seem to suggest that Folau will be playing at 13 with the Tahs this year, and with Australia keen to give him more ball I can see him being played at 13 as well for Australia.

Ah right... He's a decent player.. Maybe they'll bring back Big Lotes.. hahah.. Get a couple of games under his belt for Leinster and they'll come running for him.. hahahaha:D

Buer wrote: »
    20 minute quarters!

Thats from the goal or point to the bounce. That time doesn't include repositioning yourself in preparation. So most quarters last from twenty five to thirty five minutes. Even the linesman runs the ball back to the centre, there is hardly any let up. Much to the annoyance of the station's commercials.

Put aside the best part of two and a half hours for a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

What FB, though? Beale & now Mogg are out injured, Barnes has gone overseas. You'd be into uncapped territory here.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    What FB, though? Beale & now Mogg are out injured, Barnes has gone overseas. You'd be into uncapped territory here.

Didn't realise Barnes had already gone overseas..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Isn't Henry Speight another year away from Aus eligibility?

Advertisement