Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftovers [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I haven't a clue what the last 2/3 episodes were about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Beautiful ending - very satisfied.

Some excellent articles above and, to those who take issue with the parallel world concept, it's (clearly) open to interpretation. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to.

Carrie Coon is fantastic by the way - hope she does more. Seems like she's getting offered lots of work but is being selective in her choices. Good for her if it gets her roles like this and 'Fargo'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It all felt a bit Dr. Seuss with the scientist knocking together machines for interdimensional Travel at the drop of a hat. Nora's a ****ing eejit, very hard to feel sorry for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sandcastles

Do you think she was lying or telling the truth?

I loved the ending - really happy with it, I know people were feeling hard done by saying that they left a lot of Kevin's story unanswered but I felt they tied that up last week!

What a journey!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I did get a sense that she was making it up and it did look like she was just about to scream "Stop" while in the machine, but her explanation of the "other" side was convincing. Not sure if she would go all that way and not at least say hi to the kids etc.

The one thing that bothered me was the lack of effort from the other side to come back to the more populated dimension. If she came back then surely they all would want to come back.

So on that, I'd say she was lying. Otherwise why stay away from her family when she returned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I did get a sense that she was making it up and it did look like she was just about to scream "Stop" while in the machine, but her explanation of the "other" side was convincing. Not sure if she would go all that way and not at least say hi to the kids etc.

The one thing that bothered me was the lack of effort from the other side to come back to the more populated dimension. If she came back then surely they all would want to come back.

So on that, I'd say she was lying. Otherwise why stay away from her family when she returned?

I said earlier that logically the first thing the scientist would do would be to build another machine once he arrived and seen what a mess things were, but maybe the people who accessed her for the machine knew she wasn't a good fit and that's why they turned her down, everyone else who crossed over in the machine was happier there than here so didn't want to come back, It doesn't make allot of sense but I would see it more of a plot hole than a reason not to believe her story.

I think Nora is very credible, I don't think she's lying. She has a go at the nun for lying about the man climbing out her window, She says you can not lie, she also refuses to accept Kevin unless he tells her the truth about how he found her, when it may have been easier just to believe his lie.

And what about Matt would he not have seen the state Kevin was in and told him Nora is still knocking about.

The reason she stayed away was so much time had passed, Matt could already have been dead, she may have had only Kevin really, and with the way that ended how could she turn up years later with this fantastic story.

Sure you can take away what ever ya want from the ending but to me the most satisfying one and the one that fits is she's telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Do you think she was lying or telling the truth?

I loved the ending - really happy with it, I know people were feeling hard done by saying that they left a lot of Kevin's story unanswered but I felt they tied that up last week!

What a journey!

For me, she was absolutely telling the truth. I'm like Kevin here, because her story gives me closure, it's the only version of the truth I have, so, like Kevin, I 100% believe her, because her story doesn't need to be questioned. All Kevin wanted was to be with Nora, and all I wanted was 1.) Some explanation to what happened to the departed, and 2.) A happy ending between Nora and Kevin. Nora's "story" enables this. I wasn't expecting answers, This show has trained me not to expect answers, and like Kevin's search, it was more hope than expectation that I get some sort of resolution, so, when Nora gives us her story, it gives me my resolution, it gives me my happy ending, I have no reason to question this. I was also very happy to see Laurie alive and well, I truly believed the phone call from Gill and Tommy changed her mind and didn't expect the show to give us a resolution to this, and it was great to have this confirmed.

Perfect final to a fantastic TV show.

On a side note, I hope Damon Lindelof sticks with TV, it brings out the best in him. His writing style is much more suited to TV than Movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Another question for me is why would she lie?
    What has she to gain by lying to Kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sandcastles

I didn't expect Kevin and Nora to end up together at all so was really surprised with that! I didn't think the writers would give us a happy ending!

I'm totally split on if I believe her or not! One one hand, my theory from weeks ago was that Nora would go through the machine and find her family had moved on without her and move to Australia for life of solitude as she would have to accept losing them all over again (not quite what happened but on the same path)

I can accept that she went through the machine as easily as I can accept that she didn't! I'm happy with either ending! If she just said that to save face and make it easier on Kevin then that's ok with me too.

I must say though I really disliked Nora this season and the last episode brought me back around to her.

So much to mull over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Did anyone else not like that final episode? I mean I love the show and I didn't expect a neatly wrapped episode with a bow on top, but the end to the entire affair, looking back to the first season, was horribly....empty to me personally. Not a bad episode in itself, but as a closing to 'The Leftovers', I feel entirely unsatisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Echoes of the Lost finale, both in the otherworldly in-between-places atmosphere of future Australia and its inhabitants and in the way that it took so long for Kevin to find Nora. However, it avoids the worst misstep of the Lost finale by having Kevin and Nora explain how they got there themselves rather than having someone else explain it to them in the clunkiest way possible.

I had some issues with the old age makeup (it's supposedly only 10 years later but they look 20 years older and dying, but I guess it adds to the sense of dislocation) and I could have done without the business with the goat, but the writing of the final scene was beautiful. I think whether she's telling the truth or not is irrelevant. The point is the journey she took in the intervening years from the realisation that she was a ghost in a place she didn't belong to getting back to where she did belong only to find it was too late, leaving her to wander that strange landscape until Kevin finally finds her. They could have had another scene of them leaving together, but I like that it ends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I had some issues with the old age makeup (it's supposedly only 10 years later but they look 20 years older and dying, but I guess it adds to the sense of dislocation).

20 years have passed since the Departure. Three from the pilot, one during the first two seasons, three at the start of season 3, 13 between the penultimate and final episodes. They just didn't apply old age makeup until then, but they should look about two decades older. Especially given the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just binged this over the last 3 weeks and man I really loved it, brought me right back to Lost and I thought the finale was perfect the way they rapped it all up! I do believe she was telling the truth and I buy the alternative universe. Really great TV again from Damon Lindlelof, I look forward to his next project!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Couple of interviews from Damon about the ending

Second one is interesting as he talks about the reaction to lost ending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

While I still think it is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen, the final episode for me was too Lindelof.

Firstly, I understood from the start of season 1 not to expect "answers" and that the show was about grief and loss etc.

I wouldn't even have minded if Nora had told her story and the writers said "we don't know if she was telling the truth, we wanted it to be ambiguous"

But I just read an interview with Lindelof where he basically said the writers all agreed on whether her story actually happened or not. To me that's a big F you to the audience. Ambiguity just for the sake of it.

Also I hate the Kevin death universe episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Any word yet on a Sky Atlantic release date?

Desperately trying to avoid spoilers on here and elsewhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Cartman78 wrote: »

4th July Sky Atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Finally got around to it, fabulous final season to a wonderful show!

Just want to say a MASSIVE FVCK YOU!!! to sky the absolute cnuts. Unforgivable to show the first 2 seasons and then park it for a bulk box set release a month after the final episode airs. Had to watch it on some torrent site which I never had to do before.

The acting, production, music, everything, was fabulous.

Just one question, did we ever find out if Kevin really was somewhat immortal? Was the strange medical condition something like his heart stopping for s prolonged period??

I too reckon Nora was telling the truth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why would anyone prefer to watch a show with ads rather than without?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Why would anyone prefer to watch a show with ads rather than without?

Record and skip ads. I hate having to download stuff "illegally", especially when I'm paying for a service that should be showing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cartman78 wrote: »

It starts on Sky Atlantic on Tuesday July 4th at 10pm with a double episode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

LLMMLL wrote: »
    While I still think it is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen, the final episode for me was too Lindelof.

Firstly, I understood from the start of season 1 not to expect "answers" and that the show was about grief and loss etc.

I wouldn't even have minded if Nora had told her story and the writers said "we don't know if she was telling the truth, we wanted it to be ambiguous"

But I just read an interview with Lindelof where he basically said the writers all agreed on whether her story actually happened or not. To me that's a big F you to the audience. Ambiguity just for the sake of it.

Also I hate the Kevin death universe episodes.

I felt much the same. I could have done without the last episode, later though I began to think that I could have done without the last season.

I thought the final episode of season 2 was pretty much the perfect ending, if the Leftovers was a show about dealing with grief then that ending had Kevin desperate to live, to return to those he loved and be a family again. He sings his song and it is heartbreaking.
    Then season 3 comes along and he's back to putting bags over he head again?
    I liked Kevin Sr.'s arc in season 3. Personally I think the season should have been about the other characters coming to terms with grief and the will to move on and live life as Kevin did in the end of season 2. It should have been about helping Kevin Sr to sing his song and save the world, Lori redeemed by giving the closure and answers to others that she couldn't as a psychiatrist (which it kind of did in fairness) and Nora reaching closure regards her children (which it did poorly).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Record and skip ads. I hate having to download stuff "illegally", especially when I'm paying for a service that should be showing it.

that's what appeases my sense of guilt that I'm paying for Sky but I watch everything before it airs on there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just noticed there that Series 1 & 2 are available on Sky On Demand.....I swear they weren't there a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

What happened to the kid's fcuking shoes!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Just watching series 3 this week. Completely blown away by Scott Glenn in episode 3. Best performance I have seen in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

No idea what this show was about but you have to admire the balls it took to get made.

Feel like, that without twin peaks, it would have never seen the light of day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What I feel you have to admire more, and immensely so, is the path it took and the full artistic license you can tell they had with the show despite middling ratings and how easy it would have been to attempt to make it far more mainstream than it is after the first, and even 2nd seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Finished the series yesterday.

In response to those wondering why the scientist on the other side didn't build a machine sooner to bring everyone back as the rationale thing to do is pretty bland. The show was never about the 2% that departed. It was all about those that were leftover and how they dealt with the emotional impact of what had happened.

The show relies far too heavily on "moments" that it detracts from the moments that should be impactful. It's hard to appreciate a moment when you've had billions of other moments before this one.

Overall the show was okay for me. Season 1 was poor, yes, Season 2 and 3 are better but in my opinion it's not the critical acclaim some make it out to be. It's a show that has little to no depth, they start something and 10 minutes later it's over or worse, forgotten. That style of story telling bothered me greatly. Where is the follow through??

Christopher Eccleston (Matt Jamison the Priest) is the star of the show for me. He had good character development and it was easy to empathize with him.

I give the show a 6 / 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

So after all that, [INFINITY WAR SPOILER]
    It was Thanos that caused the sudden departure.

Advertisement