Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭COH

Wednesday 27/6/2018

Tonight, I just had the bench elated

I'm sure the bench was just ecstatic & jubilant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

COH wrote: »
    I'm sure the bench was just ecstatic & jubilant

It was the way I pressed myself against it

Friday 29/6/2018

A) High Bar Squat
    95kg x 6 x 5

B) High Incline Bench
    60kg x 5 (@8)
    45kg x 3 x 8
    45kg x 16

C) Decline DB Bench
    30kgs x 4 x 12

D) Lat Pulldowns
    110kg x 5 x 12

E) Reverse Flys
    6kgs x 5 x 15

Much better execution of squats. Cut the "it's light so I'll just do it" guff and drove through them like I had 195 on my back.

The high incline bench feels so much different to the normal incline I'd do...feels like it's working where I feel (some of) my bench weaknesses.

Decline DB bench felt strong. Stronger than I expected.

Some nice pumpage from pulldowns and flys.

Saturday 30/6/2018

A) Pause Squat
    147.5kg x 5 @8
    110kg x 8, 8, 11

B) Snatch Grip Double-Pause Deadlift
    115kg x 8, 8, 8, 10

C) Hamstring Curl
    92.5kg x 5 x 12

D) Chest-Supported DB Row
    25kgs x 3 x 20

E) Ab Pulldowns
    10 rounds: 35s on, 25s rest

So I was pausing too high last week. Actually, worked out better anyway cos I wasn't dropping into the hole and losing tightness. Well, I paused high on last rep of 5 at 140 and made it feel heavier. Thought about 150 but thought 147.5 was the right call to not overshoot it. Still managed to pause too high on last rep but copped it and made sure to control the rest of the descent. Satisfied with that.

Kept a few reps in the tank on last back off set....

...which was just as well, since I'd forgotten my phone and thought it was 4 sets of double pause snatch grip deads instead of 3.

Corrected a couple of things. Like not flopping the bar to the ground. Seems like such an obvious thing...you don't only control half the ROM for squat or bench so why would you on DL. Getting my chest through as well helped not lose tightness in upper back.

#lessons

Monday 25/6/2018

A) Bench
    65kg x 10 x 5

B) Standing BB OHP
    47.5kg x 5 @7
    50kg x 5 @8
    55kg x 5 @10
    42.5kg x 8, 8, 13

C) EZ Bar Underhand BB Row
    75kg x 5 x 12

D) Seated Low Pulley Row
    4 x 12

E) Rolling DB Tricep Extension
    10kgs x 3 x 12

Thought 52.5 would be below @8 so went to 55. Forgot my fractionals or I'd have gone with 53.5 which would have been about right. 55 was @10. Didn't detract too much from volume in back off sets too much, I don't think.

On 2nd back-off set, I widened my grip a touch so hand was about 1" of knurling from the smooth (normally right on the edge of knurling). Felt it made it stronger. My OHP is so weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Monday 25/6/2018

My OHP is so weak.

At least it's not as bad as mine - my 1RM weighs less than a sheet of wet tissue paper! :o

Damn shoulders :mad:

At least it's not as bad as mine - my 1RM weighs less than a sheet of wet tissue paper! :o

Damn shoulders :mad:

I'll settle for less weak and hope it carries over to bench a bit. I haven't done a block of OHP where I'm pushing the intensity like this is nearly two years so its been interesting.

I actually feel like the high incline bench might strengthen a weakness more but I enjoy the process either way.

Thursday 5/7/2018

A) Paused Deficit Deadlift (~1.5")
    160kgs x 4
    165kg x 4
    165kg x 4
    125kg x 8, 5, 5

B) Beltless Squat
    122.5kg x 6 x 5

C) Single Leg DB RDL
    25kg x 4 x 10

D) DB Bench Row
    32.5kg x 4 x 10

E) GHR Sit Up
    4 x 60s (~25 reps/set)

Paused deficit deads were a couple of steps back but a step or two forward (how I go from here will determine that). No tightness anywhere so losing bar and rounding and making things harder for myself. Not working hard enough to get in a tight position so need to improve that and need to work hard on staying in that position when I get there. Nothing like paused deficits to magnify the weaknesses.

But I think I took a baby step in the right direction at the end but it will take a lot more work, more warm up reps and recording everything to eliminate the things I am doing and practice the things I'm not doing.

Squats were going nicely until 1st rep of 7th sets on squat, got a sharp pain in my right knee on way down. Got to the bottom...and paused for a few seconds thinking I should let the bar onto safeties but not wanting to... So squatted back up but thought better of going again. Rested a while and was ok cos not much knee flexion needed in the rest.

Last week I used a single  20kg DB for single leg  RDLs but tried with two 12.5kg DBs this week and was better for stability. Had tried it last week and no better. Maybe I'm just improving at the balance part.

Some curls at the end because summer pump.

Friday 6/7/2018

A) High Bar Squat
    100kg x 4 x 5

B) High Incline Bench
    62.5kg x 4 (@8)
    47.5kg x 3 x 8
    47.5kg x 13

C) Decline DB Bench
    32.5kgs x 4 x 10

D) Lat Pulldowns
    117.5kg x 5 x 10

E) Reverse Flys
    7.5kgs x 5 x 12

Cut the number of sets of high bar from 6 to 4. Partly cos of last night's knee twinge but mostly to keep a bit fresher ahead of tomorrow's 'heavy' paused squats.

The top set of high incline bench felt better than last warm up. Felt alright

Saturday 7/7/2018

A) Pause Squat
    155kg x 4 @8
    117.5kg x 8, 8, 11

122.5kg x 8, 8, 10

C) Hamstring Curl
    100kg x 5 x 10

D) Chest-Supported DB Row
    25kgs x 3 x 20

E) Planks
    10 rounds: 40s on, 20s rest

Managed to somehow pause high on the last rep yet again. I wouldn't mind but I was conscious of not doing it. Did actually have a Dime bar last night so I'll put it down to that. Slowed last rep a bit more than it should but anyway...confident I'd have got 2 more decent reps after.

Pauses should be longer though.

Worked on my starting position on snatch grip deads and how it should feel...ie different to how it has always felt. Getting tighter and everything coming up together. Need to work on getting the lats tighter. I find it easier when I'm doing these with straps and overhand grip...with mixed grip, I find it harder to screw my hands and tighten lats on supinated hand side but that's something I just have to figure out.

Glad to not have to squat tomorrow....have squatted the last 3 evenings and while it's not been heavy or a massive amount of volume, I noticed it in the back off sets today and didn't go too far with the AMRAP cos wanted to keep reasonably fresh (it's all relative, innit) for the paused SG DLs after.

Probably need to throw my wrist wraps in the wash now. Some bang off them on account of all the recent sweatiness.

• Advertisement

Monday 9/7/2018

A) Bench
    70kg x 8 x 5

B) Standing BB OHP
    50kg x 4 @7
    52.5kg x 4 @8
    55kg x 4 @9
    40kg x 8, 8, 10

80kg x 5 x 10

D) Seated Low Pulley Row
    4 x 10

12.5kgs x 3 x 12

OHP was a little bit cleaner this week...couple of technique tweaks. Paused at the bottom more instead of the T&G reps I had been doing. The top set felt better than last week. More solid technique anyway.

One of those sessions that reads like a handy one and while you don't feel very tired after, you feel like you've worked harder than you thought you would.

Wednesday 11/7/2018

160kgs x 3 
    170kg x 3 
    175kg x 3 
    132.5kg x 8, 8, 8

B) Beltless Squat
    127.5kg x 8 x 5

C) Single Leg DB RDL
    (2 x 22kgs) x 4 x 8 e/s

D) DB Bench Row
    35kg x 4 x 8

E) GHR Sit Up
    4 x 60s (~27 reps/set)

After last week, there was a lot more work to get the working sets. They were all basically working sets. Tried widening my stance a little as well...Maybe closer to squat stance than usual deadlift. Was much tighter tonight. Nothing all that heavy but was conscious of avoiding technical breakdown so I was working the movement properly. A small step in the right direction.

Squats moved smoothly.

A sweaty sweatfest

Friday 13/7/2018

A) Beltless High Bar Squat
    105kg x 6 x 5

B) High Incline Bench
    65kg x 3 (@9)
    50g x 3 x 8
    50kg x 9

C) Decline DB Bench
    35kgs x 4 x 8

D) Lat Pulldowns
    125kg x 2 x 10
    130kg x 3 x 8

E) Reverse Flys
    9kgs x 5 x 10

Nice bit of volume on HB squat. Not all that taxing in and off itself but you do get to a nice bit of work on getting the movement spot on.

Knew from warm up at 60 that 62.5 would be less than @8 on high incline bench. 65 was @8.5/9

Was happy with how comfortable I was pressing the 35s despite the sweaty hands.

First 2 sets of lat pulldown were sets of 10...until I checked program and saw they were supposed to be 8s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,770 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Are you doing the same comp as bluewolf?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you doing the same comp as bluewolf?

This weekend? Nope.

October or November. Ideally November, cos its in Dublin, but it may not be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

This weekend? Nope.

October or November. Ideally November, cos its in Dublin, but it may not be a runner.

You know they later clarified there's no Open in November, last is October? Only Junior & Masters Nationals in November now.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    You know they later clarified there's no Open in November, last is October? Only Junior & Masters Nationals in November now.

Ah.

Hadn't seen the comp in November til early this week anyway but thought it was just the Sunday.

Probably Cork in October so....ffs

Sunday 15/7/2018

A) Pause Squat
    160kg x 3 @8
    130kg x 8
    120kg x 8, 10

130kg x 8, 8, 9

C) Hamstring Curl b
    102.5kg x 5 x 8

D) Chest-Supported DB Row (inclined bench)
    27.5kgs x 3 x 20

E) Ab Rollouts
    10 rounds: 30s on, 30s rest

Spent 2.5 hrs on a bus from the Wesht so lots of loosening up during WC final to go skwaaat.

Knee was at me so I felt I was a bit tentative descending to the pause. So not as smooth at times cos I felt like I subconsciously adjusted on account of it and probably paused too high. Still though, the top set moved well enough. Somehow read the weight for the deadlifts as my back off set weight even after entering 120kg for them and the first set of 8 with 130kg felt a bit heavier than I expected. Duh.

Snatch grip DL was pretty decent. Feel like I'm getting a bit better at holding the positions. An improvement of only a small one.

First time doing rollouts in ages. Jaysus...there will be horrible ab DOMS.

Top set

Monday 16/7/2018

A) Bench
    72.5kg x 8 x 5

B) Standing BB OHP
    50kg x 3 @7
    52.5kg x 3 @8
    57.5kg x 3 @10
    45kg x 8, 8, 11

80kg x 5 x 9

D) Seated Low Pulley Row
    4 x 8

2x15kgs x 3 x 10

Top set on OHP was supposed to be @9 but was absolutely a 10. Still, not so bad relative to my píss poor OHP. Extra rep on back off sets with 5kg more and still the pausing. So that was daycent. For me.

Kept the weight same on rows so I could get a good hold at the top rather than just touching and going. Like paused benching.

Some pump, some craic...enjoyed that.

• Advertisement

Holy fúck, the ab DOMS.

Mother.
    Of.
    Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What caused the ab doms?

JJayoo wrote: »
    What caused the ab doms?

Sunday's rollouts with the ab wheel.

Unpleasant.

Wednesday 18/7/2018

160kgs x 2
    170kg x 2
    175kg x 2
    180kg x 2
    130kg x 7, 8, 8

B) Beltless Squat
    135kg x 8 x 5

C) Single Leg DB RDL
    (2 x 25kgs) x 4 x 6 e/s

D) DB Bench Row
    37.5kg x 4 x 6

Took me a while to wake up but deadlifts felt better than last week. Wasn't really a pause on the 2nd rep of 180....well, I paused it on the ground, then pulled...

Much longer pauses on back off sets. Mostly proper 2-count pauses. Quads fried. Just as well I was going into all of the squats.

Squats were just tiring. The 4th set was a disgrace though. But the rest of the sets moved well enough.

Dropped the GHR sit ups. Hip flexors were too DOMS'd after last week...will do ab rollouts later instead.

Made a long session out of that..

Good luck with the ab rollouts later

Good luck with the ab rollouts later

:D

Should be relatively ok. I knew i was in for a rough ride, to be fair. It had been a while

Friday 20/7/2018

A) Beltless High Bar Squat
    110kg x 6 x 5

B) 45-deg Incline Bench
    65kg x 6 (@8)
    52.5kg x 3 x 8
    52.5kg x 13

C) Neutral-Grip DB Bench
    25kgs x 4 x 15

D) Lat Pulldowns
    125kg x 5 x 10

E) Reverse Flys
    8kgs x 5 x 12

High bar squats moved really nicely.

Bench looked a bit more like 50 degrees but different enough to higher incline which was about 60 degrees.

Went to physio yesterday cos for weeks I've felt my hips really tight and I hadn't been able to alleviate it. So went to physio to reset and get back into investing more time in mobility work. Nearly got sick of because of how sore it was. I didn't realise I had neglected it but looking back I did. Quads were very tight, which explains the knee pain. Was sweating a bucket from the warm ups alone this morning.

Listened to a Doug Stanhope podcast. Made me laugh at all the wrong times...mostly with bars and dumbbells over my face.

Edit: also, when I got the next block of training sent to me this morning, it included the Lunch Box Press. It's officially a thing.

Ahhhh, Physio pain. Is that the same Physio that nearly broke COH in half a while back?

Ahhhh, Physio pain. Is that the same Physio that nearly broke COH in half a while back?

No but he is a physio COH suggested though. Gpod physio...doesn't want to see you back so makes sure you know how to avoid coming back for same.

• Advertisement

Saturday 21/7/2018

A) Pause Squat (2 ct in the hole
    142.5kg x 6 @8
    115kg x 8, 8, 10 (might have been 11)

B) Low-handle Deficit Trap Bar Deadlift
    112kg x 8, 8, 14

C) Hamstring Curl b
    90kg x 5 x 15

D) Chest-Supported DB Row (inclined bench)
    30kgs x 2 x 15
    27.5kgs x 15

E) Russian Twists 
    10 rounds: 30s on, 30s rest

Woke up with ball of tightness in my lower back. Out of nowhere. Spent an age warming up and by the time I got into the training, I had forgotten about it so was grand.

Looking back the pauses weren't a 2-count but they were a decent enough pause. Next week I'll just stay down til I think I've been down long enough and then stay down a bit longer.

Kept AMRAP reasonable so I wouldn't be overly bollíxed for trap bar deficits so I could work on technique better. Which helped cos trap bar deficits burned my quads up.

Advertisement