Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Friday 12/9/2014

Front Squats
    60kg x 3 x 3 - prep

Deads
    70kg x 2 x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    130kg x 1
    150kg x 1
    170kg x 1
    191.25kg x 1

GHRs
    (90-120s rest)
    BW x 20, 21, 21

DB Bicep Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    15kg x 2 x 15
    15kg x 17

Decline Sit Ups
    (60-90s rest)
    25kg x 3 x 15
    25kg x 17

Russian Twists
    (60-90s rest)
    +25kg x 3 x 20/20

So I went in this morning with the intention of deadlifting but it could have been the shortest session in history if I didn't think my back twinge from (fu*king) yoga was going to allow much. Light front squats to get things going. Worked nicely.

170 felt way too heavy and I might have called it. But I didn't. Stubbornness probably. On went some more heaviness. It came up. Wasn't the best form you'll ever see but it didn't aggravate my back, which had been aggravated by a sloppy 3rd rep at 110, so it wasn't horrific. Form didn't feel horrific either. That said, the hips went up too early so I lost a little position on it.

So, morning weight was 76.3kg. The weight on the bar: 191.25kg.

A strange total on the bar! That's because I forgot to put on the other 1.25. Dime...bar.

I'll take it, since it's 2.5 x BW, BABY!

Great deadlifting.

200kg before the end of the year!

gvn wrote: »
    Great deadlifting.

200kg before the end of the year!

Unlikely to get that because training is going to be all over the place and pretty much ad hoc for the last few months of it but it will fall. Just a matter of when :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Unbelievable Jeff!

conzy wrote: »
    Unbelievable Jeff!

:D

Who forgets a plate? Even if it was only 1.25.

Lockout was tough. My leg started to shake, looking back at the (it's blurry but I don't know why) video.

Might stick that up once I've uploaded it, for posterity's sake.

• Advertisement

Saturday 13/9/2014

DB OHPs
    (60-90s rest)
    18kg x 4 x 10
    18kg x 12 - ugh

Wide Grip Seated Rowa
    (60-90s rest)
    115kg x 4 x 10
    115kg x 11

Lateral Raises
    (60-90s rest)
    10kg x 4 x 10
    10kg x 16

Split Squats
    (60-90s rest)
    90kg x 4 x 8/8

Hamstring Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    90kg x 4 x 15
    90kg x 17

Happy enough with that. OHPs felt hard from 1st set. It did not bode well but everything else went well enough.

Split squats: torturous death, one leg at a time.

#WhereIsMyWheelchair

Monday 15/9/2014

Squats
    117.5kg x 2 x 3
    117.5kg x 7

RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    110kg x 5 x 5

Lat Pulldowns
    (90-120s rest)
    107.5kg x 3 x 10
    107.5kg x 12...and a half

Face Pulls
    (60-90s rest)
    Pin 11 x 2 x 12
    Pin 11 x 15

I spent the day in a post-split-squat world of DOMS. The thought of squatting did not fill me with joy.

But they went pretty well. 2 reps more than at same weight 4 weeks ago.

RDLs were 107.5 last week. Logged 105. They felt good so went for 110. My poor glutes. Gotta work on keeping neck neutral. I don't focus enough on doing it on RDLs. Did for last couple of sets after the heads up from COH on it (wah wah waaaaah). Need to work on that, esp with deadlift. I can see where I remind myself to keep it neutral and just as the weight breaks the floor, up goes the head.

Curls cut til Friday again.

Wednesday 17/9/2014

Bench
    81kg x 4

CGBP
    76kg x 4

Incline Bench
    71kg x 1

DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    38kg x 4 x 10 e/s
    38kg x 12 e/s

Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    35kg x 5 x 10

Bench still improving.

Sloppy 4th rep on CGBP meant I wasn't confident enough there was a 5th. There is...just not today. Grip better but still not entirely comfortable. Must figure this out and do some warm ups on close grip next time...

Thought I'd try skullz again this week since elbow felt much better. Didn't even notice I had a left elbow til near the end of the 3rd set, which was nice.

I forgot how pumptastic skullz are!

Friday 19/9/2014

Deadlift
    145kg x 4

Speed Deads
    (60s rest)
    120kg x 4 x 2

Front Squats
    (90-120s rest)
    65kg x 4 x 8

GHRs
    (90-120s rest)
    BW x 21, 20, 21

Bicep Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    15kg x 3 x 15

Decline Sit Ups
    (60-90s rest)
    +25kg x 4 x 15

Russian Twists
    (60-90s rest)
    +25kg x 3 x 20/20

Top set of deads was too sloppy. Wasn't getting starting position right....not pulling on bar to get my hips down. Thankfully I engaged my brain during speed deads and ticked the position boxes in set up. They were good and surprisingly quick. For me.

Front squats were fine.

Didn't go too mad on weight this week but didn't want it to be easy. Just kept it ticking over nicely.

Saturday 20/9/2014

Seated DB OHPs
    (60-90s rest)
    18kg x 4 x 10
    18kg x 14

Wide Grip Seated Rows
    (60-90s rest)
    115kg x 4 x 10
    115kg x 11

Lateral Rows
    (60-90s rest)
    10kg x 4 x 10
    10kg x 16

Split Squats
    (60-90s rest)
    90kg x 5 x 8/8

Hamstring Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    92.5kg x 5 x 15

DB OHPs felt solid as bejaysis. Might have had a grinder in me for an extra rep but I left it cos form would have gone out the window.

Lookin' forward to the split squat DOMS...especially since halfway through the last set I realised I was doing an extra set. Maybe it was a blessing in a horrible disguise. Took me a set or two to get my setup right.

Anyway, good session that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Wednesday 10/9/2014

First time in an eternity doing dips - ones that didn't involve nachos

I'm sorry, are we really letting Alf away with the worst pun in the history of boards.ie here?? ... nobody's going to say anything??... we're alllll just gonna pretend it never happened??... (*sigh*) ... ok, I'll do it... again... Alf, sort yourself out mate - you're a mess...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I'm sorry, are we really letting Alf away with the worst pun in the history of boards.ie here?? ... nobody's going to say anything??... we're alllll just gonna pretend it never happened??... (*sigh*) ... ok, I'll do it... again... Alf, sort yourself out mate - you're a mess...

The worst?

I've definitely made worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

WHIP IT! wrote: »

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?

NACHO CHEESE!!!!!!

also holy jaysus @ 90 kg split squats. I'm hobbling around whingeing after 7 kg dumbbell ones yesterday...

bluewolf wrote: »
    What do you call cheese that isn't yours?

NACHO CHEESE!!!!!!

also holy jaysus @ 90 kg split squats. I'm hobbling around whingeing after 7 kg dumbbell ones yesterday...

I would consider getting nachos now if I could walk. They're pretty brutal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

blue doritos

DOMS arrived today. What a service...next day delivery.

So I did an hour of mobility and stretching for hips, glutes and quads because I hate myself.

But it's really helped.

30 minutes on spinning bike to loosen out at the end.

Sunday 28/9/2014

Got some spare time so tried my luck at last Monday's scheduled workout.

Except felt a twinge warming up that even walking out 80 made me think I'd be staying down if I squatted.

Switched to Wednesday program.

Bench
    80kg x 2

CGBP
    75kg x 4

DB Incline Bench
    25kg x 5
    25kg x 10

DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    37.5kg x 4 x 10 e/s
    37.5kg x 12 e/s

Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    35kg x 4 x 10
    35kg x - the body doth protest too much.

Not sure what I expected but given the sleeping and eating of the last week, I should take that.

Bar path was sloppy for both bench reps. CGBP felt solid though and there was another rep there but I thought it wiser just to rack it because I thought it wiser.

3 sets of skullz is all that was gonna happen. There is a time to push yourself through the wall. Today wasn't it.

All I'm for for now is sleeping. But that ain't happening :)

#delirious

Tuesday 30/9/2014

Said I'd take a run at squats again but came prepared for a different workout just in case.

Squats
    120kg x 5 x 2

RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    112.5kg x 3 x 5
    112.5kg x 3 - hello twinge, goodbye RDLs.

Neutral-Grip Pull Ups
    (90-120s rest)
    BW x 10, 10, 7, 6, 6

Knew I was going to be well off 100% so I'll take that squatting.

The RDLs felt heavy from the first rep. On 4th rep of 4th set, like a bolt from the blue the back tweaked in same place I'd had twinge in Sunday. I picked it up in yoga a few weeks ago but it had gone in a few days...until Sunday. Felt fine on squats. Fell like a spear in my back when if struck. Stripping the bar was an ordeal. Feels more like a nerve than muscular though.

Tried pull ups and no pain si kept going. Plan was 5x10 with shortish rest but knew it was unlikely.

Had the cold Grim Reaper sweats by the end.

Still, satisfied with it, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How are you planning to progress on the chins? More reps vs add weight?

JJayoo wrote: »
    How are you planning to progress on the chins? More reps vs add weight?

5x10 I suppose. Hadn't really thought about it. Lat pull down was busy today and if it hadn't felt of I'd have left but if I do go down that route it'd probably be 5x10, add weight and go up when I get 5x10 at that.

• Advertisement

So, after spending 5 minutes on bended knee last night, unable to get up because of back twinge I made a physio appointment this morning. I have an L5 injury that needs stretching and rest.

In hindsight, I should have realised the extent of the fatigue and just dropped the weight yesterday. Overloaded and paying the price.

Plus side: I get to revisit Engaging The Core 101.

Everything that involves picking anything up now means having perfect form so that's gonna be good.

Every cloud.

Shíte.

How long have you to lay off squats and deads for?

gvn wrote: »
    Shíte.

How long have you to lay off squats and deads for?

Not sure but until as long as I'm sure it's okay. That might be 2 weeks, it might be 4. I'll have a better idea by the weekend cos I'll go back on Friday and do what I'm told in the meantime.

But I knew I'd have some enforced downtime around now so it's not so bad and I can focus on being better at them when I get back at it. Even getting out of a chair is like doing a box squat. Core engaged, spine set correctly, etc.

A war is made up of many battles. This is just another.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

That damn yoga, worse than Crossfit for injuries :)
    Hopefully you will only be a couple of weeks out.

ninamc wrote: »
    That damn yoga, worse than Crossfit for injuries :)
    Hopefully you will only be a couple of weeks out.

To be fair, the niggle after yoga probably wasn't it since I had a deadlift PR 3 days later.

My own fault, ultimately. Knew I wasn't 100% but the old squats probably made me underestimate the fatigue and I shouldn't have gone for what would have been a 5x5 PR for RDLs.

Live and learn and come back stronger.

Sunday 5/10/2014

A few rounds of the stretching prescribed by physio and other mobility work. That was the main purpose of going in.

Did a couple of exercises to just consciously work on engaging the core more than normal.

Neutral-Grip Pull Ups
    (90-120s rest)
    BW x 10, 10, 8, 6, 6

Seated Lateral Raises
    (60-90s rest)
    7kg x 4 x 10
    7kg x 15

Seated DB Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    12.5kg x 2 x 15

Didn't want to risk anything heavy and dropped the weight a good bit and make sure I was engaging the core in a big way.

It's gonna be 2 weeks before I consider squatting or deadlifting with how the back feels. Started to get a dull ache during curls so called it a day. Going back to work tomorrow so I'll have to make sure I do plenty of stretching at home after work.

Tuesday 7/10/2014

A good dose of the prescribed stretches.

Neutral-Grip Pull Ups
    (90-120s rest)
    BW x 10, 10, 8, 7, 6

Dips
    (90-120s rest)
    BW x 4 x 10
    BW x 16

"Cardio"
    15 minute walk
    7.5 km/h at 7% incline

Took it handy again. Back with physio tomorrow and will have a better idea of where I'm at but still at least a fortnight away from any squats or deadlifts.

Just ticking over on anything that won't really put pressure on lower back now and working on engaging the core during exercises.

It's not much of a workout but given that this time last week, I was on one knee unable to move, not even to lie on the floor, such was the pain, I really appreciated just being able to do that much.

So...physio was really happy with my range of motion so while I need to keep doing the stretching on engaging the core, I have strength exercises to do. I was losing the natural curve in lower back at a point a couple of inches high on the squat - back was just flat - so he doesn't want me going past that for a while. My right foot seems to want to turn out a bit on squatting, which costs me strength coming up out of the bottom of it. When I start back at deadlifts, they'll be off blocks to start.

But doing anything but the strength exercises I've been given won't happen for 2 weeks from today and only if things have improved sufficiently from today.

Tl; dr: I'm on the road back.

That sounds positive :)

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    That sounds positive :)

Yeah, it was pretty good to hear. I knew my ROM was getting better but I know myself not to go too hard too soon.

And I thought my squat form looked pretty good from the side when I got to parallel :)

But there's a fun-filled couple of weeks ahead doing bridges with knee extensions, lots of abduction, side and front planks and wall squats.

Advertisement