Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Friday 22/8/2014

Got a load of work off my desk and on my way out the door, I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins. I'd a couple of workouts to make up for...

Seated DB OHPs
    (60-90s rest)
    17.5kg x 4 x 10
    17.5kg x 16

Wide Grip Seated Rows
    (60-90s rest)
    112.5kg x 5 x 10

Lateral Raises
    (60-90s rest)
    10kg x 4 x 10
    10kg x 12

Split Squats
    (60-90s rest)
    85kg x 3 x 8/8
    85kg x 9/9

Hamstring Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    87.5kg x 4 x 15
    87.5kg x 16

Thought about the 20s for OHP but could feel my shoulder a touch so didn't push my luck.

After the last few days' workouts I picked myself up, I brushed myself down, I moved forward...I moved on.

#hashtag

Saturday 23/8/2014

Solid hour of mobility work to iron out the roll, stretch and lacrosse ball the legs hips, lower back and shoulders ahead of the running leg of a Dublin City Triathlon relay effort tomorrow morning.

20 minutes on spinning bike to get the blood going through the legs.

Have really enjoyed these mobility sessions since I started them.

Sunday 24/8/2014

Finished 2nd in Dublin City Triathlon relay. Took about 10 secs per km off the time I ran last year but the team who win had a lad who ran the ~4.25km in sub-15. I'd have had to run sub-16 to stay ahead but I'm happy to do it in ~17 minutes (forgot to stop watch after finished so don't know exact time yet).

EDIT: He ran it in 13:53 so I'd have had to run it in 15:06 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Great stuff, well done to you and your team :)

Sunday 24/8/2014

Finished 2nd in Dublin City Triathlon relay. Took about 10 secs per km off the time I ran last year but the team who win had a lad who ran the ~4.25km in sub-15. I'd have had to run sub-16 to stay ahead but I'm happy to do it in ~17 minutes (forgot to stop watch after finished so don't know exact time yet).

ninamc wrote: »
    Great stuff, well done to you and your team :)

We'd won last year so bit disappointed but I couldn't have run any better today.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 27/8/2014

Wasn't sure my legs, especially my knees, were 100% recovered after Sunday...

Today's squats were brought to you by the word 'grind' and the colour red.

Squats
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 2
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    127.5kg x 3

RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 6
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 3
    122.5kg x 3

Bicep Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    15kg x 3 x 15

Lat Pulldows
    (90-120s rest)
    107.5kg x 4 x 10 - was supposed to be 106 but YOLO.

Face Pulls
    (60-90s rest)
    Pin 11 x 3 x 12

Earlier on I thought I'd have to put off squats to next week. Knee twinges...too many for my liking. But they felt manageable when I got in. 1st rep at top set was messy...all over the shop. 2nd felt good though so I went for a 3rd (the deepest). Boo. Yah.

All in all, I felt stronger than expected.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Great progress on them RDLs too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Really posting some nice nums Alf, what you weighing ATM

conzy wrote: »
    Great progress on them RDLs too

Tried to keep the rest down today and it was a 3RM I had to hit today rather than 4 sets of 8.

One or two weird reps in the warm ups when I pretty much forgot what the exercise was supposed to be. Last rep was a grinder.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Really posting some nice nums Alf, what you weighing ATM

Thanks! Large large chunk of the credit goes to COH really.

Knocking about between 76.5 and 77kg.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 27/8/2014

Bench
    82.5kg x 3

CGBP
    77.5kg x 4

DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    36kg x 4 x 10 e/s
    36kg x 14 e/s

Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    35kg x 5 x 10

Incline DB Bench
    (90-120s rest)
    25kg x 4 x 5 - only cos it's week 10 :pac:

That's a bit more along the line of where the benching was before last week. I don't know if I would have ground out the 4th because the spotter decided it was time to taint a rep. And again on CGBP. I'm okay with if 4 because I know I had the 5th but just can't count it.

Skulls were supposed to be at 33.5 but I forgot my fractional plates so 35 it was and time for a battle. The battle became a firefight from halfway through the 4th set...what with my triceps being on fire.

Friday 29/8/2014

No deads in the program for today

Speed Deads
    (90-120s rest)
    140kg x 3 x 2

Front Squats (2x8 @ Wk 3 weight)
    67.5kg x 8
    67.5kg x 10 - p*ss poor.

GHRs
    (90-120s rest)
    BW x 18, 21, 16

Decline Sit Ups
    (60-90s rest)
    +25kg x 3 x 15
    +25kg x 16

Russian Twists
    (60-90s rest)
    25kg x 2 x 20/20
    25kg x 30

Technically, the three sets of "speed" deads felt pretty solid. Hips much lower and no slack reps where I let them get too high. Felt really happy about those.

Front squats were hilariously sh*te. Form all over the shop and they felt heavier than they should have. Ugh.

Realised on last set of GHRs that I had forgotten to have lunch because I had to run for the dart and just forgot. Brain shart.

Time to go eat a LOT of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Realised on last set of GHRs that I had forgotten to have lunch because I had to run for the dart and just forgot. Brain shart.

Time to go eat a LOT of meat.

Forgetting to have lunch is bad enough, forgetting that you forgot to have lunch, that's shocking :p.

dylbert wrote: »
    Forgetting to have lunch is bad enough, forgetting that you forgot to have lunch, that's shocking :p.

Never happens. I got caught on a call for too long and legged it, forgetting lunch.

Once I was on my way, it didn't cross my mind til mid-GHRs, which says a lot because I'm usually just thinking about how I can't wait for them to be over :D

I've started to rectify it with Lazy Lasagne (TM), ie mince with grated cheese on top and some pork medallions.

Separately, obviously. I'm not an animal.

Saturday 30/8/2014

The last workout of the program.

Seated DB OHPs
    (60-90s rest)
    18kg x 4 x 10
    18kg x 11

Wide Grip Seated Rows
    (60-90s rest)
    113.5kg x 5 x 10

Lateral Raises
    (60-90s rest)
    10kg x 4 x 10
    10kg x 14

Split Squats
    (60-90s rest)
    87.5kg x 4 x 8/8

Hamstring Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    87.5kg x 4 x 15
    87.5kg x 17

20s were going to be too much of a jump on OHP to make all the reps with the short rests so went up to 18s. Just as well.

That first set of split squats...sweet Jesus! Did not bode well. Just couldn't get a comfortable set up for right leg. I survived though.

So at the end of the 10-week program, I ended up increasing my squat and bench with a deadlift jump when I test.

Bench: 80kg 1RM → 82.5kg 3RM
    Squat: 117.5kg 1RM → 127.5kg 3RM
    Deadlift: 185kg 1RM → program up to 180 but form is way better and I'll beat that when I test.

Everything is better and stronger.

What did I learn?

I learned that less is more. The program is the program because someone who knows how to program put it together. I got stronger spending a little less time lifting and spending more time doing mobility work instead of assorted exercises that contributed very little, in hindsight.

I've learned more about what I'm doing, why I'm doing it and how it adds to the bigger picture.

I can't thank COH enough for blitzing what I had been doing with knowledge bombs. I haven't perfected anything and I still need to work on it but now I understand what proper form feels like and I can feel when I haven't got it.

The last few weeks of the program something clicked and instead of "what if I fail?" it has been more like "how many will I get?".

I've learned a huge amount about myself in the last 10 wks and from here I'll just keep pushing on & being a better and stronger me :)

You'll give COH a big head :pac:

I'll be taking a trip to him in a few weeks to get some pointers for my squat and especially my deadlift.

Any goal numbers in mind for testing? A 90kg bench and 140kg squat have to be the dream targets? Probably not out of reach.

gvn wrote: »
    You'll give COH a big head :pac:

I'll be taking a trip to him in a few weeks to get some pointers for my squat and especially my deadlift.

Any goal numbers in mind for testing? A 90kg bench and 140kg squat have to be the dream targets? Probably not out of reach.

I'm loath to set targets for testing. Not sure I'll hit 90 but I'll see on the day. Hard to know for squat but 135 is doable and I'll see how that feels.

Monday 1/9/2014

I know I won't get a good run at a 6-week program. I have somewhere between 3-6 weeks so I going to drop back to week 7 of the program I was on and start go a bit heavier than last time. 2.5-5kg or so.

Squat
    115kg x 2 x 3
    115kg x 6

RDLs
    (90-110s rest)
    102.5kg x 4 x 5
    102.5kg x 10

Lat Pulldowns
    (90-120s rest)
    105kg x 3 x 10
    105kg x 12

Bicep Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    15kg x 2 x 15
    15kg x 16

Squats were 2.5kg up on a few weeks ago, same reps. I'll take that cos I didn't feel in the slightest bit solid on them. They just felt shi*ty from the start. Deep enough but just all over the gaff. Ugh.

RDLs were 7.5kg heavier and a lot of % better. Matched the 10 reps on last set as well. Much better form and glutes feeling it.

Ran outta time to do face pulls. Devo.

"All over the gaff" and "Devo".... Pity we can't use the proper emoji's, can you imagine the craic you'd have with that post.

Monday 1/9/2014

I know I won't get a good run at a 6-week program. I have somewhere between 3-6 weeks so I going to drop back to week 7 of the program I was on and start go a bit heavier than last time. 2.5-5kg or so.

Squat
    115kg x 2 x 3
    115kg x 6

RDLs
    (90-110s rest)
    102.5kg x 4 x 5
    102.5kg x 10

Lat Pulldowns
    (90-120s rest)
    105kg x 3 x 10
    105kg x 12

Bicep Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    15kg x 2 x 15
    15kg x 16

Squats were 2.5kg up on a few weeks ago, same reps. I'll take that cos I didn't feel in the slightest bit solid on them. They just felt shi*ty from the start. Deep enough but just all over the gaff. Ugh.

RDLs were 7.5kg heavier and a lot of % better. Matched the 10 reps on last set as well. Much better form and glutes feeling it.

Ran outta time to do face pulls. Devo.

• Advertisement

"All over the gaff" and "Devo".... Pity we can't use the proper emoji's, can you imagine the craic you'd have with that post.

Yeh bleedin' wha'? ;)

Wednesday 3/9/2014

Bench
    75kg x 7

CGBP
    70kg x 8

Incline Bench
    65kg x 4

DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    36kg x 4 x 10
    36kg x 15

Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    35kg x 4 x 10

1 rep more than last time at that weight - 4 weeks ago -on bench. Should have been 2 but a sloppy 2nd rep took more than should have cos the bar toon the scenic route on the way up. Possibly another rep in the tank. No real grind on last rep. Really happy with how I'm way better at keeping my back tight for the set. It used be gone after 1st rep, if it was there to start with.

1 more rep on CGBP and definitely another rep in the tank.

Damn, even for 1 more rep on incline! I didn't expect that, such is the hate/hate relationship with the incline barbell bench.

Was feeling my left elbow from 2nd set of skullcrushers. Wax getting worse and impacting the form so I stopped after 4th set.

Elbow soreness aside, pretty happy with that workout.

That damn wax :(
    Wednesday 3/9/2014

Was feeling my left elbow from 2nd set of skullcrushers. Wax getting worse and impacting the form so I stopped after 4th set.

Elbow soreness aside, pretty happy with that workout.

That damn wax :(

Yeah apparently 'wax' is more likely than 'was'.

The elbow did start to feel as useful as warm wax at the end.

Hopefully it's just a little niggle. Especially as you seem to be flying with all sorts of benching :)

Yeah apparently 'wax' is more likely than 'was'.

The elbow did start to feel as useful as warm wax at the end.

Hopefully it's just a little niggle. Especially as you seem to be flying with all sorts of benching :)

Noticed it on skulls last week but it wasn't bad but it kicked off early today.

Might just rest it next week...and give up dat tricep pump.

Friday 5/9/2014

I had half a notion to test this morning, since I was off work but I felt like I'd had the sh*t beaten out of me in my sleep. Must've been lying on my shoulder all night cos it was in rag order.

Still no better after a load of stretching and mobility work so I just did a bit of form work for the lifts.

I don't know why I thought testing this morning would be a good idea, especially given that deadlifting before midday is against the law or something.

There's a lot to be said for resting.

Saturday 6/9/2014

Seated DB OHPs
    (60-90s rest)
    18kg x 4 x 10
    18kg x 12

Wide Grip Seated Rows
    (60-90s rest)
    113.5kg x 4 x 10
    113.5kg x 12

Lateral Raises
    (60-90s rest)
    10kg x 4 x 10
    10kg x 15

Split Squats
    (60-90s rest)
    87.5kg x 3 x 8/8
    87.5kg x 9/9

Hamstring Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    87.5kg x 4 x 15
    87.5kg x 18

Everything felt pretty solid.

Pretty sure I'll be having glute DOMS from the Chinese Split-squat torture though.

Monday 8/9/2014

Thought twice about going in today. Felt so tired the last few days but no good reason for it so I made myself go.

Squats
    115kg x 2 x 3
    115kg x 8

RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    105kg x 4 x 5
    105kg x

Lat Pulldown
    (90-120s rest)
    107.5kg x 3 x 10
    107.5kg x 12

Face Pulls
    (60-90s rest)
    Pin 11 x 2 x 12
    Pin 11 x 14

Ran outta time for curls. Will slot em in on Wednesday.

I squatted at 115 last week and got through them but they just felt all over the place so went for a run at them again. They felt good and strong.

Jumped 5kg on RDLs because the form was solid last week and had an extra 5 reps in the tank on last set last week. Stopped at 5 on last set because I forgot it was the last set. 2 more reps in the tank, at least.

Some days you need to rest up, some days you just need to harden up. Today was a day for the latter.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 10/9/2014

Bench
    77.5kg x 6

CGBP
    72.5kg x 6

Incline Bench
    67.5kg x 3

DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    37.5kg x 4 x 10 e/s
    37.5kg x 12 e/s

Dips
    (60-90s rest)
    +10kg x 10, 10, 9, 9, 8

#BurnBabyBurnTricepInferno

Got so wound up for the bench the first rep was hilariously of course. Took a radar to find the bar and get it back on course. Again, it cost me a 7th rep but equalled the rep PR so not too bad. Bit more focus kicking off the set next time...be grand.

6 reps at CGBP but grip felt too narrow. 2 fingers inside knurling. Was gonna go for 7 but said I'd hold off and widen grip and go again, if only so I could be happy with grip. Widened til all fingers just on knurling. Felt WAY better. Only got 6 but the first go cost me probably 2/3. I'd used the now old grip for a long time but looking back the last few weeks, the reps were despite the grip. Learning gainz.

Picked up a bit of a strain in lower back at yoga last night (Yoga! Fu*king yoga?! ) so wasn't sure how rows would be. Grand and made sure there was no body rockin' to get weight up. Worked out nicely (except for the unpleasantness putting back plates) and they felt like my best rows in aaaaages.

Skullz were feeling progressively worse on my elbow last 3 weeks so I subbed in dips. First time in an eternity doing dips - ones that didn't involve nachos, in any case - shoulda started a touch lighter to suss it out.

Advertisement