Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would the rest of the UK survive a Scottish exit?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I can't see England wanting to be stuck with Northern Ireland or Wales to be honest.

Whats worse is that I would potentially have to be stuck with an "English" passport despite the fact that I don't even identify as English I was just born there to Scottish parents.

I wonder what would happen to the North and Wales, I can't see either being viable on their own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Wales is more or less integrated into England. They don't even have a parliament, just an assembly. There would be no compelling reason for Wales to do anything.

Who knows what the effects would be on NI.

Personally I don't see Scotland leaving the union any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I can't see England wanting to be stuck with Northern Ireland or Wales to be honest.

Whats worse is that I would potentially have to be stuck with an "English" passport despite the fact that I don't even identify as English I was just born there to Scottish parents.

I wonder what would happen to the North and Wales, I can't see either being viable on their own.
    Yeah Scotland is going no where and when this referendum is defeated it will kill the independence movement. Don't worry OP you'll die a British citizen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yeah Scotland is going no where and when this referendum is defeated it will kill the independence movement. Don't worry OP you'll die a British citizen!

While I agree the referendum will be defeated this time. The independence movement won't die it will take a hit and wobble but it won't go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

A more pertinent question is whether Scotland would survive a UK exit, especially as North Sea oil revenues run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Godge wrote: »
    A more pertinent question is whether Scotland would survive a UK exit, especially as North Sea oil revenues run out.

.....plus they'll more than likely have to negotiate EU membership.

Personally, I think a lot Scots favour independence in the aspirational sense, just like a lot of nationalists in NI favour a united Ireland, but when it comes to the practicalities of it too many are pragmatists to vote in favour of it.

I doubt the Scottish independence will disappear - I'd expect them to reflect on the result then return to the campaign, probably looking for 'devo max' or at least much greater fiscal autonomy...........and they'll probably get it, esepcially if the vote is any way close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I can't see Scotland exiting the union, in all honesty. I think that the independence movement in Scotland appears to be significant (large enough to challenge the 'No' campaign properly) from the level of media coverage it gets, but they will be comfortably outnumbered when voting times come. The movement won't disappear but it will fall off the front pages for the a decade or so, after the vote.

The 'No' vote is at about 60% at the moment. As people become more clued in regarding the pitfalls of leaving the Union, the 'No' percentage will increase to about 65-70%.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Personally, I think a lot Scots favour independence in the aspirational sense, just like a lot of nationalists in NI favour a united Ireland, but when it comes to the practicalities of it too many are pragmatists to vote in favour of it.

NI Nationalists are a smart bunch. They understand the value of their place in the Union. I think N.I. is more bound to the union, at a citizen level than it every has been. Take a look at the city of culture in L'Derry/Derry. Thousands of Nationalists there have been out celebrating that their city as the UK city of culture. That wouldn't have happened ten or fifteen years ago. I think that more an more citizen's in NI will start identifying themselves as Northern Irish over the next few years, i.e. neither British nor Irish but still citizens of the UK.

While I agree the referendum will be defeated this time. The independence movement won't die it will take a hit and wobble but it won't go away.
    Ah it will. At least for this generation.

COYW wrote: »
    NI Nationalists are a smart bunch. They understand the value of their place in the Union. I think N.I. is more bound to the union, at a citizen level than it every has been. Take a look at the city of culture in L'Derry/Derry. Thousands of Nationalists there have been out celebrating that their city as the UK city of culture. That wouldn't have happened ten or fifteen years ago. I think that more an more citizen's in NI will start identifying themselves as Northern Irish over the next few years, i.e. neither British nor Irish but still citizens of the UK.
    I've noticed this growing trend too. There seems to be an erosion of "Irishness" taking place in NI. Or at least a redefinition of what it means to be Irish with more and more people describing themselves as Northern Irish. To be "Irish" is no longer a monolithic culture of nation. Of course SF and hard core nationalists in general will flatly deny what is plain before their face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

will england loose money from the north sea oil and gas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

Jawgap wrote: »
    .....plus they'll more than likely have to negotiate EU membership.

I doubt the Scottish independence will disappear - I'd expect them to reflect on the result then return to the campaign, probably looking for 'devo max' or at least much greater fiscal autonomy...........and they'll probably get it, esepcially if the vote is any way close.

I think the UK as a whole should go Devo Max , with each of the countries having their own parliaments (I would like an English parliament outside of London) with Westminster having UK wide laws on non devolved matters.

So more a federal state

I remember hearing someone saying if you want Scotland to be out of the UK get England to vote to leave the Union, since nationalism is a bigger factor in England than anywhere else.

• Advertisement

will england loose money from the north sea oil and gas ?

Nope, it would get split between England and Scotland, since its legally the UK's oil not Scotland's. Also the oil debate has offended alot of people in the Shetlands who are actually against independence and have threatened to not join an independent Scotland.

Nope, it would get split between England and Scotland, since its legally the UK's oil not Scotland's. Also the oil debate has offended alot of people in the Shetlands who are actually against independence and have threatened to not join an independent Scotland.
    How will it be split?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How will it be split?
    It's something of a moot point given that supplies are dwindling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

The Scots want independence in the romantic sense but I doubt very much they'll vote for it. A lot of the support the SNP have is an anti-Labour vote.

They're not been given the choice of Devo Max at this time, I'd reckon you'd get a huge majority going for that if it were available.

If they don't vote for independence in 2014 that will be the question resolved for another 35 or so years. Some sort of negotiation for Devo Max is likely however, and a few decades of that could mean the eventual independence of Scotland.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Not really. The money that Scotland will get from the North Sea oil is a key cornerstone of nationalist rhetoric. If it can be shown that Scotland will only get a share of the oil anyway then it defeats that point.

How will it be split?

Not sure, but its the same with things like the National Debt Scotland would have to take a share of that.

Countries that have succeeded from others have had to split resources like that.

Not really. The money that Scotland will get from the North Sea oil is a key cornerstone of nationalist rhetoric. If it can be shown that Scotland will only get a share of the oil anyway then it defeats that point.

The North Sea Oil reserves were only a point about 30 years ago, most of it comes from outside the UK now anyway

Not sure, but its the same with things like the National Debt Scotland would have to take a share of that.

Countries that have succeeded from others have had to split resources like that.
    Splitting the debt as a % of GDP would really be the only fair thing to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

djpbarry wrote: »

Supplies have been "dwindling" since they were first tapped in the 60s. The very large area known as 'west of Shetland' is believed to have around 20% of the UKs oil reserves and is only now being explored. Scotland has a very large safety net from oil revenue should they go it alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

COYW wrote: »

I think you are a little bit off on the whole City of Culture thing. It's seen as a way to boost the City, which has been badly ignored for generations. No one in Derry talks about the 'UK' part, it's just enjoyed as a way to get the spotlight on the city. Yes I'm from Derry.
    Iwasfrozen wrote:
    I've noticed this growing trend too. There seems to be an erosion of "Irishness" taking place in NI. Or at least a redefinition of what it means to be Irish with more and more people describing themselves as Northern Irish. To be "Irish" is no longer a monolithic culture of nation. Of course SF and hard core nationalists in general will flatly deny what is plain before their face.

Seriously I have not noticed this at all, do you even spend any time in the North? It's well hidden for something that's plain before my face. I've seen the census stats too and the truth is that it could be better argued that it's an erosion of the British identity in the North if anything.

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    Seriously I have not noticed this at all, do you even spend any time in the North? It's well hidden for something that's plain before my face. I've seen the census stats too and the truth is that it could be better argued that it's an erosion of the British identity in the North if anything.
    Deny the truth and spin the results all you want but at the end of the day you will have to accept the reality of a redefined Northern Irish identity distinct from us southerners.

I think you are a little bit off on the whole City of Culture thing. It's seen as a way to boost the City, which has been badly ignored for generations. No one in Derry talks about the 'UK' part, it's just enjoyed as a way to get the spotlight on the city. Yes I'm from Derry.

Another point is that the rest of the UK doesn't seem to pay much attention to the North, the Unionists are seen as not British or just make the rest of the UK embarrassed to the point of not caring. Those flag riots before Christmas didn't even make the headlines in the main UK press. There is a view of apathy to Northern Ireland in the rest of the UK, I have heard people say that Unionists are just people who don't want to accept they are Irish.

Deny the truth and spin the results all you want but at the end of the day you will have to accept the reality of a redefined Northern Irish identity distinct from us southerners.

NI is ruled by Religion, the UK and the Republic are both becoming more Secular as time comes on

So when I use the very same argument that you used in regards to those figures it's spin and denying facts? Good one.

Been here all my life, spare three years spent abroad and I think my finger is a bit closer to the pulse than yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

So when I use the very same argument that you used in regards to those figures it's spin and denying facts? Good one.

Been here all my life, spare three years spent abroad and I think my finger is a bit closer to the pulse than yours.

What the fcuk's this got to do with Scotland seceding from the UK. I'm sure there are plenty of threads where you guys can snipe at each other without turning this into another one.

bmaxi wrote: »
    What the fcuk's this got to do with Scotland seceding from the UK. I'm sure there are plenty of threads where you guys can snipe at each other without turning this into another one.

It's a fair cop guv!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's a fair cop guv!

Others would do well to note and copy! Thread is about Scotland, not NI, and turning it into standard NI trench warfare will be savagely and gleefully punished. Fair warning.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The OP's question isn't, will Scotland leave the Union, its what will happen if it does (and IMO there's still at least an outside chance of it happening).

I don't know enough to comment on the financial side of things in terms of its impact on the rest of the UK especially with the uncertanty about the future Scottish currency.

But it would have a huge effect I imagine on the Political system in the UK, suddenly all the old safe Labour seats in Scotland would be gone forever with no chance of return unlike their (possibly temporary) loss to the SNP at present. This would alter the balance of power in Westminster forever and presumably force a redrawing of party lines.
    The loss of Labour influence in a UK dominated (even more) by the South East might push Northern England even further into the periphery, I've no idea of the response though considering Northern England rejected a regional assembly in the 2000's (not sure of the details).

I would presume that the impact psychologically would be profound especially if Scotland prospers or at least remains stable, suddenly there would be a real example to point to for the "peripheral areas" of the UK that leaving the English dominated UK doesn't spell doom.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Others would do well to note and copy! Thread is about Scotland, not NI, and turning it into standard NI trench warfare will be savagely and gleefully punished. Fair warning.

moderately,
    Scofflaw
    The thread is about the survival of the UK given a Scottish breakaway. It has everything to do with NI.

• Advertisement

The thread is about the survival of the UK given a Scottish breakaway. It has everything to do with NI.

Well it would but the rest of the UK keeps on forgetting about it

Advertisement