Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Reasons (+2) to NOT Send Your Daughter to College

Options
  • 13-09-2013 11:26pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now I'm not sure whether this should be here or in After Hours considering how ridiculous it is but this article popped up on my facebook today (actually linked by another TLLer) and I am actually speechless over it. It has to be fake. Right?

Let's have a look at the "Reasons":
    1. She will attract the wrong types of men.
    2. She will be in a near occasion of sin.
    3. She will not learn to be a wife and mother.
    4. The cost of a degree is becoming more difficult to recoup.
    5. You don’t have to prove anything to the world.
    6. It could be a near occasion of sin for the parents.
    7. She will regret it.
    8. It could interfere with a religious vocation.

I find 3 and 6 particularly amusing!

Anyone else come across it? Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It has to be fake. Right?

there's so many right-wing conservative Christian nuts who spout this kinda nonsense in the US that even if it were fake, you'd have a hard time telling the difference from what some of those types spout ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Actually, having reread this and gotten over my inital shock, I'm now really enjoying it. It's so ridiculous it's funny!
    The feminist world has twisted this so that a job (career) appears elevated, and homemaking is denigrated. This is the evil work of Satan and devastating to families.

I may let all the working women (who go right up to my grandmothers) know how much they have devastated their families...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think my absolute favourite line has to be:
    Is a degree worth the loss of your daughter’s purity, dignity, and soul?
    I'll keep that one in mind for female cousins etc. It may be too late for me, but not for them!

And it continues:
    Catholic OB-GYN Dr. Kim Hardey notes that a woman is naturally very observant of a man’s faults as long as she is in a platonic relationship with him. Once she becomes sexually active with him, she releases hormones that mask his faults, and she remains in a dreamy state about him. We can see why God would arrange things in such a way so that when in a proper state of holy matrimony, she would be less sensitive to his faults and thereby less tempted to be critical of him.
    How very thoughtful of God!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've two daughters and I have savings in a post office account for when they go to college but after reading that article I can now blow it all on drink, drugs and hookers............ Thailand here I come!!
    Thanks OP for this eureka moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

It made me outraged and giggle at the same time.

Not sure which my parents despair more about my college life; the fact that I could have potentially lost my purity (still giggling) or that I got a degree in writing about Fionn Mac Cumhaill's sex life (yes him of salmon of knowledge fame)...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It made me outraged and giggle at the same time.

Not sure which my parents despair more about my college life; the fact that I could have potentially lost my purity (still giggling) or that I got a degree in writing about Fionn Mac Cumhaill's sex life (yes him of salmon of knowledge fame)...

I'd say theyd be more concerned about you nearly driving them to sin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oooh, they have a Man Room. I bet all they'll do in there is learn about fixing houses and making money. Sure what else are men meant for???

I also very much like their derision for someone who sets up their own business. Yeah, business people don't care of they fail or not, so long as someone else brings in money.

????!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh Catholicism... you so funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wonder how many idiots actually donate to their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Catholic OB-GYN Dr. Kim Hardey notes that a woman is naturally very observant of a man’s faults as long as she is in a platonic relationship with him. Once she becomes sexually active with him, she releases hormones that mask his faults, and she remains in a dreamy state about him. We can see why God would arrange things in such a way so that when in a proper state of holy matrimony, she would be less sensitive to his faults and thereby less tempted to be critical of him.

You couldn't make this **** up if you tried..........This woman needs some proper psychiatric care before she does anymore damage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Reminds me of this book I read recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My favorite part was this:
    ...the rejection we receive is always emotionally charged and ends up insulting, since once explained logically, the opposition runs out of substance and is only left to hurl insults and presume and misconstrue this practical wisdom into some chauvinistic evil.

Right off the top they attempt to deflect any criticism of their stance because it's just so logical and practical no one could possibly generate a substantial response. And those critics only become emotional because they can't logically argue back, not because the content of the article is so outrageously offensive.

The people running this site have daughters and I feel sad for those poor girls.

Anybody with two brain cells probably doesn't even bother with this idiot. People (if tgere is plural) who actually listen to him are beyond help anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

It's pretty stupid considering how many female only universities we have. Plus if a mother is educated it will benefit her children.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Again, why is only girls who have "nothing to prove" or fail to learn how to be a husband and father? Why would an educated man automatically a"good"woman but not vice versa. And why would only we regret going to college? If I read PI correctly there are a lot of guys regretting their college course or going there in the first place? Why does this type of crap only ever run our direction? It get's so tiring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Again, why is only girls who have "nothing to prove" or fail to learn how to be a husband and father? Why would an educated man automatically a"good"woman but not vice versa. And why would only we regret going to college? If I read PI correctly there are a lot of guys regretting their college course or going there in the first place? Why does this type of crap only ever run our direction? It get's so tiring.....

Hmmm, isn't there a "reasons to not go to college" thing going on in America? Sure, this is aimed at the parents of daughters (:rolleyes:), but I don't think the sentiment behind the sexism is anything new?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, isn't there a "reasons to not go to college" thing going on in America? Sure, this is aimed at the parents of daughters (:rolleyes:), but I don't think the sentiment behind the sexism is anything new?

Somewhat, but it's not a gender issue. It's an issue with college being so expensive and student loans being so massive and whether or not a degree is worth the price anymore. It's not aimed at females or males, but mostly kids who can't afford college out of pocket with dreams of attending an expensive school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭maria_81

I actually think a "reasons not to go to college" campaign is a good thing but it should of course apply to both genders.

When I was leaving school, it was completely expected that you go to college no matter what. In fact, ironically, in ireland I felt there was more expectation for girls to go to college than boys because at least boys might be needed to do labouring jobs that don't require college. It's probably still the same.

For me, college was an almost complete waste of time in terms of career. However, I enjoyed it at the time.

There's of course lots of careers that absolutely require college or formal training (eg medicine). However, there's alot of people wasting time in college because they're expected to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    Catholic OB-GYN Dr. Kim Hardey...

You couldn't make this **** up if you tried..........This woman needs some proper psychiatric care before she does anymore damage

Why would we take advice from her, she's an academic college WHORE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

They should have added a number nine: College may teach your daughter to think critically!

We couldn't have that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's pretty stupid considering how many female only universities we have.

Well obviously you wouldn't send your daughter to an all female University!
    Clearly she'd end up as some rampant feminazi lesbian with a fetish for plaid shirts and Doc Martin boots!

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Clearly she'd end up as some rampant feminazi lesbian with a fetish for plaid shirts and Doc Martin boots!

Well see there is that. Plenty or reasons not to go, but applies to both genders, and not for her reasons. But yes our universities have become left wing brainwashing palaces of over inflated costs ans salaries for academics.

Hopefully not. Doc Martins were sooo high school in my time.

Yes possibly. Or being told every man is a potential rapist and its the patriarchy's fault for why her smoothie maker is broken.

But yes our universities have become left wing brainwashing palaces of over inflated costs ans salaries for academics.

I would class myself as left, but I can see the point here.

I go to uni in Ireland, but some of the ways the lectures are thought borders on indoctrination. :confused:

I would class myself as left, but I can see the point here.

I go to uni in Ireland, but some of the ways the lectures are thought borders on indoctrination. :confused:

It's nearly become a truth universally acknowledged in the US.

The other thing is that it costs a fortune. And while more women are in university, getting degrees, and less boys and men, the boys and men are still doing better financially and professionally after college. In the US anyway.

I think college and university are starting to earn a deserved cynicism.

I went to very left wing university. It used to be a feeder school for communist party officials. Economically I'm more right wing then I was before going there and socially I'm there abouts. You have to be complete vegetable before to be significantly influenced by lecturers on whatever. Besides it is always better to have your world view challenged than just have people agree with everything.

I went to very left wing university. It used to be a feeder school for communist party officials. Economically I'm more right wing then I was before going there and socially I'm there abouts. You have to be complete vegetable before to be significantly influenced by lecturers on whatever. Besides it is always better to have your world view challenged than just have people agree with everything.

Hmm, I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Lecturers are in a position of power as percieved experts, and are trained to argue and debate to an extent that a student would not be able to argue against it. And there's little things like only giving the positive to a policy, and not the negative, or classing everybody who disagrees with you as wrong because of their experiences.

Yes, I agree completely with the part in bold.

WindSock wrote: »
    Why would we take advice from her, she's an academic college WHORE!

I suspected as much so I checked, this "Kim" is a man ... naturally. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

meeeeh wrote: »

This. Part of a university education is in learning to think critically. Lecturers aren't chosen based on political affiliation (contrary to what some might claim), and so represent a fair spread of opinions from among academics. As to why academics are left-wing (if indeed they are), that's a much harder question.

Regarding the original post, that page has been doing the rounds on the internet, really funny read.

Advertisement