Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Man overboard off Waterford last night coming back from icra. Someone under enough time pressure to put their boat out in a gale. Must be trying to make the D2D start on wednesday

http://afloat.ie/sail/icra/item/36168-yachtsman-washed-overboard-from-yacht-returning-from-royal-cork-icra-championships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Not nice, lucky and glad he was recovered. Good seamanship to pick up someone in those conditions, but ... a full gale, a crap forecast, night-time and then no safety harness?

Not nice, lucky and glad he was recovered. Good seamanship to pick up someone in those conditions, but ... a full gale, a crap forecast, night-time and then no safety harness?

Only thought of the harness a while ago. seems mad 15 miles offshore and no harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

neris wrote: »
    Only thought of the harness a while ago. seems mad 15 miles offshore and no harness.

Anybody know what boat it was looked like a J or First 34.7 in the pictures.

I was thinking it might have been a certain DL boat named after a dublin lighthouse. They were entered for both icra & d2d

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anybody know what boat it was looked like a J or First 34.7 in the pictures.

Where are you seeing pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Steve wrote: »
    Where are you seeing pics?

Coast guard put one up on face book

Bit of fun: Came across this on facebook. Any one guess which well known dublin based 2 tonner this was back in the day

Screenshot_20170614_194722.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Comanche Raider :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's some rate of attrition in the D2D in the last couple of hours - there must be nearly half the fleet retired at this stage :eek:

I was out to watch the start, and two boats didn't even make the Muglins -
    conditions on the south coast seem to be just awful. For once in my life I'm delighted I missed a race!

No serious injuries so far thank goodness, although someone being taken off a J109 with chest pains, and a few rig/hull problems.

Beginning to look like whoever makes it to Dingle at all is in with a serious shout of a win!

• Advertisement

Kenmare Estuary at the mom has southerly 10-20 knots but it has eased off considerably since this morning when it was 20+and a lot more in gusts and from the SW. At least it is dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Seriously - if you are going to do an offshore race, then you should be prepared for the fact that you might have to go upwind in relatively strong winds for a while. I know the stats show that over 60% of offshore racing is spent off the wind, but its really disappointing to see so many boats drop out.

It's not just the breeze it's the sea state aswell. One thing been blown about but continously heavy pounding n slamming can do alot more damage to the hull & structure then strong breeze.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Major Dad wrote: »
    Seriously - if you are going to do an offshore race, then you should be prepared for the fact that you might have to go upwind in relatively strong winds for a while. I know the stats show that over 60% of offshore racing is spent off the wind, but its really disappointing to see so many boats drop out.

From what I've heard the boats weren't the problem, it was the crews. A boat will always tolerate more abuse than the crew!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Tabnabs wrote: »
    From what I've heard the boats weren't the problem, it was the crews. A boat will always tolerate more abuse than the crew!

That's what I'm getting on the grapevine as well. Nobody could sleep, no hot meals due to sea state & constant slamming.

That said, last years Round Ireland was like that all the way to the Fastnet, wasn't pleasant but wasn't the worst either.

1st boat looks due in tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sad to hear that Dick Warner has passed away.

neris wrote: »
    1st boat looks due in tonight

Rockabill VI finished 20.48.

Fair play to 'em - that was not an easy race!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I really enjoyed Waterways, always found it very peaceful and interesting, he was a very good host.

RIP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone know of any radio courses in Dublin soon?

In my quest to be a race officer, that's step one, so I have the licence, but the courses seem to be limited :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Major Dad wrote: »

Yeah, but if you're pounding and pounding and the boat is slamming into waves and the crew is sick and tired and you're tired and sick and nobody can remember why they even wanted to do the race in the first place.. Then the best thing to do is drop out.

It's supposed to be fun. If nobody is having fun, well screw that. There's a difference between the exhilaration of battling upwind on a bit of a buzz, and the exhaustion of slogging upwind when you're beaten down. The race will be there to try again. No point playing silly buggers and staying out there miserable when really everyone wants to go home and not spend their annual leave in misery.

Very sad news. A true gentleman; a day out with Dick with rod or gun was an event to be eagerly anticipated and then remembered. He spoke just as he wrote, a true eye for nature and a fount of knowledge, imparted without fuss. Too sad.

Yeah, but if you're pounding and pounding and the boat is slamming into waves and the crew is sick and tired and you're tired and sick and nobody can remember why they even wanted to do the race in the first place.. Then the best thing to do is drop out.

It's supposed to be fun. If nobody is having fun, well screw that. There's a difference between the exhilaration of battling upwind on a bit of a buzz, and the exhaustion of slogging upwind when you're beaten down. The race will be there to try again. No point playing silly buggers and staying out there miserable when really everyone wants to go home and not spend their annual leave in misery.
    Really?
    We read two boats were reported to have retired before the Muglins and a major part of the fleet was gone less than 24 hours later. If the skippers/crews were not fit to go on at that stage there is a need to ask questions about experience, crew selection and why those skippers took the decision to enter a coastal race with such inexperienced and unfit crew that were unable to put up with a bit of discomfort and minor weather conditions.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Rockabill VI finished 20.48.

Fair play to 'em - that was not an easy race!

It was quite pleasant in the SW today, lovely (& sunny) this afternoon so a nice reach to the line. I agree the early stages would have been tough but that's what big peoples' racing is about.

What were rockabill 4 & 5? One was a corby 33 but can't remember which 1. I know 1 2 & 3 were beneteaus.

Really?
    We read two boats were reported to have retired before the Muglins and a major part of the fleet was gone less than 24 hours later. If the skippers/crews were not fit to go on at that stage there is a need to ask questions about experience, crew selection and why those skippers took the decision to enter a coastal race with such inexperienced and unfit crew that were unable to put up with a bit of discomfort and minor weather conditions.

The two who retired before the Muglins had sail damage - one a mainsail torn in two (unlikely to have a spare main on board) and the other had a headsail issue - we couldn't tell what exactly the problem was but they turned around pretty much immediately. There were also other boats that suffered hull/rig damage and retired.

They weren't all just wimps!

Stheno wrote: »
    Anyone know of any radio courses in Dublin soon?

In my quest to be a race officer, that's step one, so I have the licence, but the courses seem to be limited :(

Try David Jerrard

http://www.seacraft.ie/contactcourse-dates.html

His website doesn't seem to have been updated in quite a while, but if you give him a call I think he does radio courses around the place regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Really?

You were on board all of them and know they were all inexperienced wimps?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fantastic day for the gibbney classic

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The two who retired before the Muglins had sail damage - one a mainsail torn in two (unlikely to have a spare main on board) and the other had a headsail issue - we couldn't tell what exactly the problem was but they turned around pretty much immediately. There were also other boats that suffered hull/rig damage and retired.

They weren't all just wimps!

C'mon Heidi, I never used the word ‘wimps’. My comment was about seamanship and gear. I agree gear can break/get damaged, but it is highly unusual to have it happen to a large part of a racing fleet. How often have you seen a main torn in two? For that to happen it either was in poor condition or it was not reefed, properly/sufficiently or both.

D2D is not an around the cans race, it requires proper preparation and if that many boats dropped out so soon something is very wrong, and while the weather was poor it was not strong gale/storm. What if this was a feeder race for Cork Week, and the start in Plymouth/Cowes? Half the fleet in difficulty in the midle of the St. Georges Channel?
    Before any skipper takes part in a race like that s/he should be certain that the boat, its gear and crew are ready for whatever the weather throws at them. The decision to start in those conditions is the skipper’s, a decision to postpone / delay a start lies with the OOD. I can fully understand pulling in to Dunmore East after a day's bashing at the Tuskar, (not after just a few hours) but the fact remains that there are lots of old (and small – the Minis), and two-handed boats finished/finishing.

Advertisement