Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre: Vodafone or Eircom?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

berettaman wrote: »
    I posted Earlier in this thread that I was switching from Eircom... I signed up to VF on the 18.09.13. Well the spanner in the works has appeared. Eircom are not releasing the line... I don't know what that means as I am still trying to talk to a human but I knew it would be too good to be true..:rolleyes:

Eircom not releasing the line usually means there's money outstanding on an account,could be just a final bill that they haven't even sent you yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

I know Zerks. I am checking when the last Direct debit went out. I have no problem paying up the last month to get them out of my life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Under their new rather ridiculous rules, you have to give them 30 days notice or they bill you a cancellation fee (eircom)

If I were you I'd contact them to cancel and also log a complaint with ComReg while you're at it.
    Moving suppliers is supposed to be smooth and catch-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Thanks Space Time,

I will have to do that despite the fact that the VF guy was in "We'll handle everything mode"..

I will let you know how I get on..

1901 or the eircom forum is your best source of info on that.

• Advertisement

berettaman wrote: »
    Thanks Space Time,

I will have to do that despite the fact that the VF guy was in "We'll handle everything mode"..

I will let you know how I get on..

BTW,Vodafone have a broadband only offer: I got Fibre broadband unlimited as a standalone for €25 a month,was told it's for VF mobile customers only but the CS person said "it depends who you get when you ring them", a mate of mine has same offer & he's not a VF mobile customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

are you sure its not 35e an 32.50 if your a vd mobile customer as per there website.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/

naughto wrote: »
    are you sure its not 35e an 32.50 if your a vd mobile customer as per there website.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/

Was on €32 a month package and upgraded to fibre,if I took a 2 yr contract instead of a year then it reduced to €25.
    Never had a problem with VF for my broadband so saving €84 a year was a no-brainer,most people don't want to be tied into long contracts but as I said,the service has been flawless so I had no problem with the 2 yr contract.

UTV have launched a fibre service now too btw for €25 'unlimited'

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

SpaceTime wrote: »
    UTV have launched a fibre service now too btw for €25 'unlimited'

and Generous 60Gb download allowance for €20! :eek:
    T&Cs wrote:
    eircom Line required. Fibre connection fee of €30 will apply. (add eircom's line rental to your total price)

During the installation of the fibre optic broadband service the eircom engineer will fit a service specific front plate to the existing NTU. A data extension kit is available for situations where the fitted NTU is not located near customer computer equipment; however there will be a charge for this extra work. (€55.00 if requested at point of sale or €85.00 if requested during installation)

Usage limits apply to some tariffs. Usage includes all information downloaded over your connection, as well as all information uploaded. Over usage is charged at €2 per Gb. Fair Usage Policy applicable to customers who are on unlimited usage.

New line installation €65.00 if required. (Fibre connection fee included).

Most of this is should be provided for free, plus the FUP is a dealbreaker. The magic word in Ireland is Totally Unlimited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

what's the story with this "data extension kit"? I thought that the engineer can place the new socket anywhere in the house...
    My main computer is wired to the router in the living room and so I want the fibre modem to be installed there as well...

Can any fibre user confirm this please?
    And is the extension kit free with Vodafone installation?

Thanks

tarakino wrote: »
    what's the story with this "data extension kit"? I thought that the engineer can place the new socket anywhere in the house...
    My main computer is wired to the router in the living room and so I want the fibre modem to be installed there as well...

Thanks

Why not simply go with Homeplug? (also called Ethernet power adapter), you can grab one 3-4 times cheaper off of amazon. I've got TP-Link 500Mbps one and love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

raymix wrote: »
    and Generous 60Gb download allowance for €20! :eek:
    It's a hell of a lot more generous than Vodafone which is currently the cheapest for naked vdsl! Vodafone offer a 20GB cap for €27!!
    Most of this is should be provided for free, plus the FUP is a dealbreaker. The magic word in Ireland is Totally Unlimited
    It's only a deal breaker for some. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for us, for example. We have 50/10 VDSL here in Germany and don't go near the FUP limits UTV etc. are likely to introduce. We just want fast broadband, not to download the internet.

FUPs are fine if they keep the QoS high and the cost low for users like us. For those who need/want to download masses of data, they should be prepared to pay more for it, like any other utility IMO, certainly shouldn't be subsidised by the majority of users who don't go anywhere near FUP limits.

It's a very good price (remains to be seen how good their network is of course) compared to the existing offerings for most people who aren't concerned about FUP limits.

I think you should have made it clear that you added the "(add eircom's line rental to your total price)" part yourself. It does not say that in the T&Cs and I don't believe it will be the case, otherwise it would be ridiculously expensive compared to a bundle straight from Eircom! I am pretty sure it's €30 connection (assuming you have an Eircom line already) and then €20 a month and that's it. It's actually cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

murphaph wrote: »
    It's a hell of a lot more generous than Vodafone which is currently the cheapest for naked vdsl! Vodafone offer a 20GB cap for €27!!

That's why you go for their €32 package. UTV are a terrible company for broadband, they clearly want money over good broadband. It's only worth it if you're an auld couple who just check their emails and not bother with video-hosting websites.

My mother is a Vodafone mobile customer, so I'm going the Simply Broadband Max package.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Thanks

I had VF fibre installed a couple of weeks ago. I asked the (Eircom) engineer if he could put the socket in a different room to the existing phone socket (which is in the hall) and he said no. That was that. No "data extension kit", no nothing! So wi-fi is poor upstairs, which is disappointing.

The problem is that VDSL2 is very sensitive to bad wiring and they want to get the modem onto the NTU which is ideally where the line enters the house.

The 'data extension kit' is basically just a plug-in cable from the non-filtered phone socket on the NTU to wherever you want your modem (within reason).

In our house, the line comes in to the attic and then goes on CAT5e cable down to a flush-fitted NTU, so the engineer was happy enough to just install it there.

Your best bet is using wifi-repeaters, powerline networking or a run of CAT6 plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the modem and an ethernet socket somewhere closer to where you want the computer and the signals to come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

You can have the modem where you want mine is 20ft away from the socket.All you need is a length of telephone cable.

ofcork wrote: »
    You can have the modem where you want mine is 20ft away from the socket.All you need is a length of telephone cable.

Don't run too much telephone cable between the modem and the socket or you risk destabilising the signal too. Cheap telephone cable's generally just straight wires without any twisted pair.

The incoming phone line's high quality copper (solid) twisted pair. So, they want to get the modem onto that without any noise being introduced. If you add a long extension onto that of non-twisted pair, you'll potentially reduce your speed or stability.

If you really want to do it, make up a run of wire with some CAT5 cable onto an RJ11 or RJ45 plug (you can get all the tools for this in maplins or anywhere else that does that kind of thing).

Wire the line to the two centre pins only.

Plug that into the modem port on the NTU and wire a phone jack to the other end of the cable.

Easiest way of doing it is home plugs though and another router/wifi hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That's why you go for their €32 package. UTV are a terrible company for broadband, they clearly want money over good broadband. It's only worth it if you're an auld couple who just check their emails and not bother with video-hosting websites.

My mother is a Vodafone mobile customer, so I'm going the Simply Broadband Max package.
    The equivalent UTV price for that €32 Vodafone product is €25 (also with a FUP), that's €84 a year cheaper. I was with UTV years ago when ADSL first became available in Ireland. It wasn't plain sailing but many of the problems were Eircom's fault. I honestly can't comment on "how good" or otherwise UTV are compared to Vodafone for VDSL. They are a new entrant in this market. Competition is good. If their product is rubbish word will go around and they'll be forced to improve it or leave the market.

iniall wrote: »
    I had VF fibre installed a couple of weeks ago. I asked the (Eircom) engineer if he could put the socket in a different room to the existing phone socket (which is in the hall) and he said no. That was that. No "data extension kit", no nothing! So wi-fi is poor upstairs, which is disappointing.
    it says in the terms and conditions that when you order fiber that you can request it.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/services/#fibre
    i hope to get fiber with vodafone when eircom release the line.

how long after you ordered fiber did you get it installed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

naughto wrote: »
    it says in the terms and conditions that when you order fiber that you can request it.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/services/#fibre
    i hope to get fiber with vodafone when eircom release the line.

how long after you ordered fiber did you get it installed?

Ordered on the Monday and had it installed on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

My main socket is in the hall, so I guess I have to order power adapters...
    I found nice ones on Ebay with 3 Ethernet ports, this way I can connect my main computer + my 2 satellite Linux boxes...

Is there any signal deterioration with the power adapters?$T2eC16F,!yUFIbrOIPyoBSJ0OKmdm!~~60_35.JPG

iniall wrote: »
    Ordered on the Monday and had it installed on the Friday.
    that would be great.now have to get on to eircom about the line,iam with sky for broadband,ordered fiber with eircom,then realised that vd do naked fiber so canceled the order with eircom.
    then got a letter from sky to say eircom where taking over the line.
    rang sky to see what the story was and they said that eircome took over the lline a few weeks back,turns out itwas a day bfore i had rang and canceled it.

so now i will be cut off with sky and will have to pay the penalty for breaking the contract,then i have to wait untill the order is fully cancele down or out out of there system b 4 i can order fiber with vodafone.eircom have the uae number blocked so i cant order untill that happens.
    its a right mess,but what can you do.

Is there any signal deterioration with the power adapters?

5ms in worst case, I believe.
    These are my results with power adapter and ADSL2, my line is only capable of 15Mbps.
    Pinging my 2 routers, highest ping goes to router behind homeplug.

We just want fast broadband, not to download the internet.

That's a valid point. Doesn't justify being extra careful of what others in your household download or stream.
    FUPs are fine if they keep the QoS high and the cost low for users like us. For those who need/want to download masses of data, they should be prepared to pay more for it, like any other utility IMO, certainly shouldn't be subsidised by the majority of users who don't go anywhere near FUP limits.

FUPs are never fine, they were introduced due to contention, because many people were affected by heavy bandwidth users. The contention is long gone, even before fibre appeared.
    Nowadays FUPs are used as a part of greed, making extra cash on virtual packages that shouldn't be there.
    There are few "second world" countries around the world who can provide high speed internet access much cheaper and with no caps or throttling.

For users like "you" who likes FUP to get cheaper connection, I'd agree on reducing number of simultaneous connections by ISP (P2P in mind), because obviously the problem is not the total amount downloaded a month, it's clogging the pipe that's damaging to the service. The exact digit for monthly cap is just a random round number that is driving customers away or forcing them to pay extra.

VDSL is simply resold, that's not a proper competition, sucks that we lack proper competition from private sector that could provide proper service, because technology is there, so is the greed.
    Take a look at google fibre for example. Now that's a hell of a deal for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

That's a valid point. Doesn't justify being extra careful of what others in your household download or stream.

FUPs are never fine, they were introduced due to contention, because many people were affected by heavy bandwidth users. The contention is long gone, even before fibre appeared.
    Nowadays FUPs are used as a part of greed, making extra cash on virtual packages that shouldn't be there.
    There are few "second world" countries around the world who can provide high speed internet access much cheaper and with no caps or throttling.

For users like "you" who likes FUP to get cheaper connection, I'd agree on reducing number of simultaneous connections by ISP (P2P in mind), because obviously the problem is not the total amount downloaded a month, it's clogging the pipe that's damaging to the service. The exact digit for monthly cap is just a random round number that is driving customers away or forcing them to pay extra.

VDSL is simply resold, that's not a proper competition, sucks that we lack proper competition from private sector that could provide proper service, because technology is there, so is the greed.
    Take a look at google fibre for example. Now that's a hell of a deal for everybody.

Google fibre is still $120 per month with TV - good deal but not free by any means.

Plus it is very very limited in terms of availability.

Point is valid on competition though

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We've seen how proper competition works, UPC, Smart and Magnet use their own infrastructure. Guess what, it only ever reaches large urban areas which are easy to upgrade.

If the state were to mandate population coverage to all providers private players wouldnt get into the irish market, and if we dont they wont ever reach "proper" coverage.

ED E wrote: »
    We've seen how proper competition works, UPC, Smart and Magnet use their own infrastructure. Guess what, it only ever reaches large urban areas which are easy to upgrade.

If the state were to mandate population coverage to all providers private players wouldnt get into the irish market, and if we dont they wont ever reach "proper" coverage.

Yeah, the coverage is very limiting factor. Smart is now owned by Digiweb, but luckily they still provide quality service they are known for, also no package deals - just the best available for the same very competitive price. €30 for 24Mbps and 350GB cap that can be easily reset by asking them nicely (Got mine reset yesterday). This brings to the point where cap is just a virtual thing - like an insurance for ISPs, just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just off the phone from a Vodafone rep who was trying to convince me that an engineer would have to come out to the house to run new fibre optic cables from the efibre cabinet to my house ...which is 800 yards away .:eek: Crazy fellow.

After a lengthy discussion I managed to convince him that all I needed was a new phone socket and modem so he checked with his superior who confirmed this .
    I wonder how other many people he has booked in for rewiring :D

He said its 40 euro connection fee and 29.99 for the modem on a 12 month contract or free for a 24 month contract.Is that correct ?

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    Just off the phone from a Vodafone rep who was trying to convince me that an engineer would have to come out to the house to run new fibre optic cables from the efibre cabinet to my house ...which is 800 yards away .:eek: Crazy fellow.

After a lengthy discussion I managed to convince him that all I needed was a new phone socket and modem so he checked with his superior who confirmed this .
    I wonder how other many people he has booked in for rewiring :D

He said its 40 euro connection fee and 29.99 for the modem on a 12 month contract or free for a 24 month contract.Is that correct ?

i was told that it would be for 12 months =70
    18months=60
    2yrs=free
    the max i can get it 30 down 8 up

Advertisement