Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre: Vodafone or Eircom?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭Zardoz

naughto wrote: »
    i was told that it would be for 12 months =70
    18months=60
    2yrs=free
    the max i can get it 30 down 8 up

Thanks that's the same as I was quoted.
    I actually changed my bundle in June and entered a 12 month contract and was told at the time by 2 different reps that I wouldnt have to pay any extra charges when upgrading to efibre down the line irrespective of contract length .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Ordered Vodafone 2 weeks ago trough website, they called me back shortly after. Took my DD details and promised me mountains of gold and that my house is already enabled.
    Today I called them back to see what's going on, they said house will be enabled next month and I need to call them 14th of November, give them UAN number of current provider, after that it will take another 25 days for installation.

So instead, I went with Digiweb, 350GB cap and 18mnth contract sucks, but at least I am getting fibre installed much sooner, they were very nice to move me to the top of the queue as close as possible to that date. €49 one off installation and €60 one-off for Static IP if requested after installation, they don't have anything against running apache webserver, so I'm good. They are also able to reset the cap on request, but I would love to have some sort of addon to the service that could increase or remove the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Got Vodafone installed on Friday and I'm very happy with it so far.

3047112364.png

Install was nice and quick , about an hour total inclusive of the 30 minutes he was at the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I told some people on here I would let them know how I got on with a vodafone installation. Vodafone are paying eircom to install a line to my house..

Ordered last September, nothing happened for 6 weeks.
    Was called by vodafone and offered same deal! They lost the original order. Put in new order at end of October.

December 2 eircom guys called for a site survey and one guy rang me on phone.
    Was told I would need to put a pipe with a rope in it to bring the line from the road to the house.
    I did this the week after Christmas. ( Digger, the works..)
    Rang the eircom guy..no answer. 2 weeks later he rings back to tell me that he has transferred to Waterford and the other two gents retired..

Rang vodafone..I would be contacted shortly..

Anyway, a contracting crowd rang to say that they would be out to do the site survey.
    Take day off work..no show...

Got a text to say that they would reschedule..
    Contractor arrives and does survey..

Got another text..this is looking hopeful..
    Contractor arrives and attempts to do a second survey...Leaves when he knows that his mentor was here earlier..

Got a text making another appointment for installation
    Rang vodafone and they said that the next visit should be installation..

Took day off work...no show...

Over 6 months since initial contact...It is like being in an abusive relationship but no one comes home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Vodafone: Darren

@Berettaman
    If you private message (via the link in my signature) over the below info, we can request the orders team to look into this for you?

Landline number/CRN:
    Order number:
    Contact number:
    Address:
    Date of birth:
    Link to your thread or post:

Thanks,

• Advertisement

7 months in :

Just to report progress.. 3 new poles erected on the road.. is a line and connection on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Vodafone completely and utterly messed up my installation as well, but I have put it down to our rep being useless, as he has let us down on a few things.

Once installed it has been superb.

I would recommend in general going with Eircom or Vodafone for vdsl. Stay away from the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

Just checked my number with eircom, seems we will be hooked up next month. also says the best we can expect is 15mb down. please say this is not the fiber speed.......

i can see the cabinet from my house 50m max.

adsl was quoting up to 24mb but struggling to get over 2mb at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just checked my number with eircom, seems we will be hooked up next month. also says the best we can expect is 15mb down. please say this is not the fiber speed.......

You may be on a different cab if its prequalling that low. That or your line has a problem of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The eircom website actually tells you what speed you can get. Click on check availability and enter your phone number: https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_23

When that's done, click on "Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Hi,
    i just been in eircom shop and i get a ammbasador promo 30e inc vat for 18mths contract with efibre unlimited, i have mobie in emobile direct debits. Offer is still for two weeks.

Back like a bad penny!

Got connected last Thursday. Now I am waiting for Vodafone to send out the modem and Welcome letter etc but I am so happy ..About 11 months but almost there.. I haven't used it yes so I cannot comment on quality yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Left Eircom to go with Vodafone and was promised up to 80mbps download.
    New router has been running for about 3 hours now and I'm constantly getting nothing more than 8mbps download :mad:

At first I just put this down to it being peak usage time, but my neighbor who has efibre just checked her connection and she's getting around 35mbps speeds......

Any ideas whats happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

New router has been running for about 3 hours now and I'm constantly getting nothing more than 8mbps download :mad:

At first I just put this down to it being peak usage time, but my neighbor who has efibre just checked her connection and she's getting around 35mbps speeds......

Fault on the line?
    Ring them up

naughto wrote: »
    Fault on the line?
    Ring them up
    First thing in the morning.......

Judging by your speedtest id say its a wifi issue. Test it on a cable.

ED E wrote: »
    Judging by your speedtest id say its a wifi issue. Test it on a cable.
    Same result when I connect the laptop to the router

Same result when I connect the laptop to the router

Call em so, something is awry there.

ED E wrote: »
    Call em so, something is awry there.
    Posted my line stats here is thats any help, cant make much sense of it myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cork981

Posted my line stats here is thats any help, cant make much sense of it myself :P

Your line attenuation is VERY high, highest I've ever seen on a VDSL install as of yet.

Either your on a very long line or there's a fault someone along the line.

Definitely not a wifi issue as your only synced at 9mb so including overheads 8mb is the highest you'll see in any speed test.

• Advertisement

Well called them earlier, they're sending out someone again next week to have a look.

On a related note, I signed up to the €35 plan (broadband+no phone) completely forgetting about the house alarm which is connected to the landline :rolleyes:

So now have had to switch to the €45 plan in stead, my own fault really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Well called them earlier, they're sending out someone again next week to have a look.

On a related note, I signed up to the €35 plan (broadband+no phone) completely forgetting about the house alarm which is connected to the landline :rolleyes:

So now have had to switch to the €45 plan in stead, my own fault really.

Im on that plan the phone will still work although you would be charged for each call the €45 plan gives free calls to national landlines as far as I know.

jay93 wrote: »
    Im on that plan the phone will still work although you would be charged for each call the €45 plan gives free calls to national landlines as far as I know.
    Vodafone confirmed to me many times as did the KN guy that the phone would be dead and the alarm would not be able to communicate outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Thats strange everyone I know on the €35 plan their phones work maybe it wont work for the alarm im not sure as we dont have one. Did they not give you a phone number with your account?

He was provided as standalone so his pair.didn't connect to the AXE in the exchange, thus no phone.

In theory you could just use a voip line for the alarm, f1000 supports it.

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be thorough ;)

The new modem was set up in the hall way and not where the old one was in the office, guy said the line in the office was bad and couldn't be used. He said he would run a cable into the office from the point in the hall, what he proposed was a pretty bad bodge job of running it over door frames and down along walls, wasn't having that so I told him leave it in the hall for the meantime.

Now what I want to do is run the cable hidden in the walls. I know how to do this and what route I'm going to take, what I'm unsure of is the cable to use. I thought it would be cat5......

Attached is the socket point in the hall and the cable he proposed to use to run it to the office. (White one)

Update:
    Because I was bored..... I plugged the modem directly into the wall socket down on the floor (The white wire I was talking about was used to reach the modem on a shelf a few feet away.)
    My speed now.....
    3691577297.png

From yesterday.....
    3689730325.png

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

that white cable is a 2 pair telephone cable. your line in/broadband connection uses only one of the pairs, normally the blue/blue-white pair.

as with any electrical connection the more you join wires and extend, the more noise you will get on the line and thus the slower your line can be, so keep that in mind. keep a eye on your snr margin if your extending and youll see what i mean.

your update showing better speeds is because you used a cable rather then wireless, this is normal.

if you went around your house and made sure everything that uses wifi was turned off and not connection, then connect with wireless from your laptop (depending on how old it is, it should have wireless n) and run the test again and it would prob be better, as if you have a wireless g device connect your whole network would be dragged down to g speeds.

Wireless 50feet from router with only the laptop connecting to network, nothing else
    3693302172.png

Wired direct to modem
    3693298748.png

so id axe all wireless g devices and see if your wireless speed improve ;)

Advertisement