Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Ospreys, Saturday 14th Sept 18:15, RTE2

Options
12345679»

Comments

Very enjoyable game - great atmosphere and some decent running rugby. Some questionable decisions but overall a good performances, especially the reaction when Ospreys pulled ahead.

Most importantly - Leo the Lion made my 3 year old's day by picking him up and putting him on his shoulder, his first Leinster game has been immortalised...!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Speaking of Leo... Leo Cullen was on a crutch at the game. Leinster forgot to mention that in their weekly report....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

.ak wrote: »
    Speaking of Leo... Leo Cullen was on a crutch at the game. Leinster forgot to mention that in their weekly report....

Aye Achilles surgery. Out for four weeks

.ak wrote: »

Yeah he was on crutches, but he was fairly hobbling - not putting any weight on his (I think) right leg at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Hagz wrote: »
    Christ Almight, I'm only after just finding out that the Jones props aren't actually brothers. I seriously thought they were brothers this whole time..:o

You have got to keep up on the Jones's...

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    This is a result of not being a professional rugby player for most of his adult life so I'm not having a go at him or anything but you can see Fanning doesn't have the physical conditioning that the rest of the squad does, imo.

I don't think the conditioning is much of an issue (but is an issue), he kept going for the 80 and didn't look tired... Although he saw very little action, he was babysat for most of it.

My issue is his experience at this level was found wanting. He shot out of the line for a restart and moved infield without any communication, that left the entire right wing open to Eli Walker, the last person you want to to turn you back to, and we had to rely on two flankers to cover him in scrambling defence. By then the damage was done and the try scored.

His positioning has been very weak in the preseason games, and I can't speak for the Scarlets game because I only saw it on TV but I have the feeling that people are impressed with his go-forward ball rather than his all over game.

The funniest part of the night was when the terrace had to scream at him to mark the outside man when he kept turning inside because he didn't trust the man inside him to make the tackle. Amateur stuff you wouldn't expect even from an AIL player.

There's a bit of the Roy of the Rovers story about him, so you want him to do well, but I can't for the life of me understand why MOC is persisting with him.

He's used to being the best player on his team and not the worst maybe.

It's incredibly hard not to like him too. He seems like a fan who got dressed up in the Leinster kit and ran onto the pitch. He spends most of his time cheering and clapping the team on from the touch line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,061 ✭✭✭✭phog

Billy86 wrote: »
    That final penalty was a bit odd, wasn't physically possible to retreat in that time. Wouldn't mind seeing a replay for the kick, too.

If you're not back the 10 meters then don't tackle the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Ok not the best result, not the greatest game, but isn't it great to have rugby back in the rds?!

Good day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    If you're not back the 10 meters then don't tackle the player.

Clever by Tebaldi though, in that split second there's always a chance that a defender will move forward and tackle on impulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,061 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clever by Tebaldi though, in that split second there's always a chance that a defender will move forward and tackle on impulse.

I thought it was stupid, they had a kickable penalty and were probably too far out to score from the tap and go, if he lost the ball his team mates wouldn't be thanking him.

I agree: foolish move but he got away with it. The risk vs reward equation wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Fairly happy overall. McGrath and Murphy look like they have a great future ahead. Kearney jnr continues to impress. D'Arcy has still some fight in him. Macken looks great with ball in hand and defensively better but still question marks. Goperth looks like a smart signing. Our problem looks to be in the second row. Toner played well, McCarthy quiet (though give him a chance) and Denton... I think you always need at least one gurrier in the row and we lack one currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I think you always need at least one gurrier in the row and we lack one currently.

I think once he settles in McCarthy will be our 70 minute man.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I think once he settles in McCarthy will be our 70 minute man.

Hopefully though with Leo or Toner we still look a little underpowered in this regard.

Ruddock for the size of the fella lacks the aggression or I'd be putting him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Quint2010 wrote: »
    You have got to keep up on the Jones's...

Hear, Hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Jordi Murphy gets better and better, he's up there with ToD on my mancrush list..

Advertisement