Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Ospreys, Saturday 14th Sept 18:15, RTE2

Options
  • 13-09-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

logo-rabopro12.jpg

The Old Enemy

After a strong opening last week (the first 20 minutes aside) Leinster take on their biggest rival in the domestic competition, if not overall then certainly outside of Ireland. The Ospreys have been a thorn in Leinsters side for a number of seasons now and despite a good win at the end of last season Leinster still owe them a beating or two. That it's Leinster first game of the season at home will ensure they will look to come out very strong and get set a standard for the coming season.

Looking at the 2 sides one can't help but feel that Leinster have a serious edge up front. They have fielded a very strong pack especially when compared to the Ospreys eight. However Leinsters scrum last week looked shaky at best and it is important that they make the most of this opportunity to get on top of the Ospreys in that area. Many would have assumed that Leinsters pack last week could and would have held it's own against the Scarlets, but they were driven back in most scrums. Particularly in the first half. With the new laws seemingly favouring the defensive side (allowing them an 8 man push against a 7 man attacking scrum) there's plenty to focus on here alone. I won't even mention the put in.....

The Ospreys look arguably stronger in their back line, but Leinster fans will be delighted to see Luke Fitzgeralds injury scare last week wasn't enough to keep him out of the starting line-up tomorrow. Reddan may need the game time to settle back into the swing of things, but the rest of the Leinster back line looks fairly solid with Macken and Fanning both proving they have what it takes at this level in Parc y Scarlets.

On the bench the Ospreys have the edge over Leinster in the forwards, but not by much. Jack O'Connell will be hopeful that he can get on and stay on this week! Leinster also welcome Ian Madigan back into the match day squad, and the battle between himself and Gopperth will hopefully bring the best out of both players. Leinster certainly look to have the better replacements in the back line.

As for a prediction, well I got it very wrong last week, but this week I'm going with the home side again. I think Leinster are too strong up front and should be looking to dominate the Ospreys there in the opening 40 and get on the scoreboard early. Build up a lead and I don't think there's enough firepower on the Ospreys bench to turn it around. Leinster by 11.
    leinster.gif
    |
    celtic8.gif

15: Dave Kearney|15: Richard Fussell
    14: Darragh Fanning|14: Ben John
    13: Brendan Macken|13: Andrew Bishop
    12: Gordon D'Arcy|12: Ashley Beck
    11: Luke Fitzgerald|11: Eli Walker
    10: Jimmy Gopperth|10: Dan Biggar
    9: Eoin Reddan |9: Tito Tebaldi
    |
    1: Jack McGrath|1: Ryan Bevington
    2: Richardt Strauss|2: Scott Baldwin
    3: Mike Ross|3: Joe Rees
    4: Devin Toner|4: Ian Evans
    5: Mike McCarthy|5: James King
    6: Kevin McLaughlin|6: Tom Smith CAPTAIN
    7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN|7: Sam Lewis
    8: Jordi Murphy |8: Joe Bearman
    |
    16: Sean Cronin|16: Richard Hibbard
    17: Jack O'Connell|17: Duncan Jones
    18: Martin Moore|18: Adam Jones
    19: Tom Denton|19: Tyler Ardron
    20: Rhys Ruddock|20: Morgan Allen
    21: Isaac Boss|21: Tom Grabham
    22: Ian Madigan|22: Matthew Morgan
    23: Darren Hudson|23: Jeff Hassler

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I fancy us to take this. The absence of Adam Jones alone gives us an edge.

Hopelully we've worked on the scrum and put in all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Nice work as always. There's a bit of panache to your previews I must say what with the logo & the tables (makes note to self...). Still stuck at home so it'll be the RTE stream for me.

durkadurka wrote: »
    I fancy us to take this. The absence of Adam Jones alone gives us an edge.

Hopelully we've worked on the scrum and put in all week.

Himself and Hibbard are on the bench looking menacing.

This needs to be over within 50 minutes imo or we could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Himself and Hibbard are on the bench looking menacing.

This needs to be over within 50 minutes imo or we could be in trouble.

If its tight then yes they could be a problem. But as long as there's a decent gap we should be ok. I'd hope the plan is to hit them hard and hit them early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Hmmm I'm not so sure about a clear win. If they're bagging on stopping us playing for the majority then I cant see why they couldnt do that at their best

• Advertisement

19543261 wrote: »
    Hmmm I'm not so sure about a clear win. If they're bagging on stopping us playing for the majority then I cant see why they couldnt do that at their best

They fielded a stronger side in May when they were in with a shout of a play-off place. Admittedly we did as well, but I think there's a bigger difference between the 2 Ospreys starting XVs than Leinsters. Especially up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Last thing we should do is underestimate them just because there appears to be a gap in quality in the starting fifteen's on paper. They broke our hearts in 2010 and 2012 and always seem to play well here in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

We should be expecting a win here. We're Leinster, we're at home, we don't need to talk down our chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Yup, I'd absolutely expect a win here based on the two teams.
    And a win by 6-7 hopefully.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Last thing we should do is underestimate them just because there appears to be a gap in quality in the starting fifteen's on paper. They broke our hearts in 2010 and 2012 and always seem to play well here in Dublin.

As much as I do agree we can't afford to give them too much respect either. As former legend said we are at home. We are the defending champions. And we got off to a better start last week than they did. With the difference in the pack for the first 50-60 mins we should really have enough there to win this. I may be optimistic thinking it'll be 11 points, but I was overly cautious at the weekend so what the hell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Leinster by 15 to 20. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Great to see Fitz fit to play. It has been a dream season for Fanning, he didn't make it at Connacht and now he has two Leinster caps under his belt. Has there been any reason why Leo missed out again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I love the mix of youth and experience in that Leinster team. Really great opportunity for guys like McGrath, Murphy and Macken to prove themselves in a team more or less what you'd expect for Heineken Cup matches.

If they can shine in this then you know they're made of the right stuff. Especially hopeful for Mackin as I think he has the most to prove and probably the one we need to step up the most also.

Disappointed for Moore, but he can't have too many complaints. I think every front row player needs to have their arse handed to them once or twice early in a career before they can earn their stripes in the dark mysterious dimension that few know what really goes on in the front row. Healy certainly had to endure some tough days in the set piece before becoming genuine international quality, although he did always bring a special bit extra in the loose. McGrath much from the same mold imo.

I'll be interested in seeing the dynamics of the Toner / McCarthy axis also, particularly in the scrum. May well be our strongest combination this season.

In the context of the league, this is a massive game, so I'm glad there isn't a case of early season indifference whilst players are coming back and then try to sort it out later in the business end of the season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

With the new laws seemingly favouring the defensive side (allowing them an 8 man push against a 7 man attacking scrum)
    I don't understand this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't understand this?

Because the attacking hooker has to lift his foot of the ground to hook, thus negating his power in the scrum. At least that's the point the quote is making.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah, OK. I'm not well up on the physics of the front row but that makes sense. Does the defensive hooker challenge for the ball now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I suppose he could if he wanted to, but I don't think there would be much point. The scrum-half can still feed favourably as only a portion of the ball has to travel along the equator. He's better off driving with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hagz wrote: »
    Because the attacking hooker has to lift his foot of the ground to hook, thus negating his power in the scrum. At least that's the point the quote is making.

I remember (Italian ex-Munster prop) Pucciariello saying Italian hookers don't hook, they time a drive to coincide with the put-in and shove the defending side off the ball. Sounds more difficult to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Random pundit on TG4 tipping us for the win anyway. Sure it's in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I don't understand this?

With the attacking hooker having to raise his foot to strike, this effectively removes 1 player from the attacking scrum. I've seen it happen already with the hapless Aussies. There is the initial engage, and then the Aussie scrum tries to get a stable platform so Moore can hook the ball, but as he goes to do so, the opposition scrum just rumble the pack backwards. It's why the feed down the middle is vital, because otherwise Genia would just put it under the locks feet, and Moore could still push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 marian Carolan

looking forward to what should be a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Weather looking decent...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Just looking at the team there and although I was pessimistic about the front row subs coming under pressure (or not coming on at all and leaving Ross to be flogged), outside that we have a very good bench. The halfbacks in particular should make a big difference, Boss did when he came on last week and Madigan should be bursting to get on after seeing Gopperth get a head start

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Will this be on RTE in the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

RTE player not showing this. Anyone got a link for us that live in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Updates would be much appreciated for the game, chaps. Alas, my sundowner whilst overlooking the Mediterranean cannot be imbibed in conjunction with watching this game. First world problems, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Fitz out. Precautionary according to MOC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hype710 wrote: »
    Fitz out. Precautionary according to MOC.

Good jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hudson into team and one of the academy to bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Mike Mac didn't even try and get away there

Advertisement