Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Cyrus wrote: »
    do your friends not have opposable thumbs or something :pac:

I know I'm probably risking going off-topic here, but I find the perception that "less personal interaction" = "quicker" to be often inaccurate.

If you can honestly order something on Just Eat in less time than it takes to ring a chinese then you are unlike anyone I know.

Maybe you order the same thing all the time, I dunno.

I am often infuriated by the amount of apparently socially awkward friends and colleagues I have; bleeding weirdos who insist on having exhausting whatsapp back-and-forths about something that could be sorted with a 2 minute conversation but won't answer the ****ing phone when you call...

Anyway, back on topic.

I've been hearing a lot about a huge upsurge in dog theft in the general Dun Laoghaire area over the last year (community groups, politicians all mention it as a particular problem in our area specifically) but I've been having trouble locating any hard data or stats. Anyone come across anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

JayRoc wrote: »
    I know I'm probably risking going off-topic here, but I find the perception that "less personal interaction" = "quicker" to be often inaccurate.

If you can honestly order something on Just Eat in less time than it takes to ring a chinese then you are unlike anyone I know.

Maybe you order the same thing all the time, I dunno.

I am often infuriated by the amount of apparently socially awkward friends and colleagues I have; bleeding weirdos who insist on having exhausting whatsapp back-and-forths about something that could be sorted with a 2 minute conversation but won't answer the ****ing phone when you call...

to be fair when you say it takes them 15 min to order something on an app you leave it open to challenge :p

but i agree with your last point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Anyway, back on topic.

I've been hearing a lot about a huge upsurge in dog theft in the general Dun Laoghaire area over the last year (community groups, politicians all mention it as a particular problem in our area specifically) but I've been having trouble locating any hard data or stats. Anyone come across anything about it?

There's been an upsurge nationally I think due to demand for pets in lockdown but I have not heard anything specific to DL

frash wrote: »
    There's been an upsurge nationally I think due to demand for pets in lockdown but I have not heard anything specific to DL

There has definitely been a huge increase in dog theft over the last while all over the country, absolutely.

It's just that I have heard several people or groups of late refer to DLRCC as being particularly badly hit by this specific issue. And I'm trying to ascertain if there is data to back this up, or whether it's simply anecdotal (I have reasons!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

anecdotal I reckon

Have seen nothing on local Facebook groups

There has definitely been a huge increase in dog theft over the last while all over the country, absolutely.

It's just that I have heard several people or groups of late refer to DLRCC as being particularly badly hit by this specific issue. And I'm trying to ascertain if there is data to back this up, or whether it's simply anecdotal (I have reasons!).

ive seen the odd post about it on the dalkey facebook group,

one thing is for sure, there is far more dog poop around now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

do your friends not have opposable thumbs or something :pac:

Don't get me started on the parking app:D:D:D

Mav11 wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the parking app:D:D:D

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Plot twist.

The reality is cyclist or motorist anyone actually travelling to a supermarket has to be a sadist when they offer a delivery service .

For prepackaged goods, I’d agree with you. For anything which requires discernment in choice (whether that be apparent quality, freshness etc) I would not agree at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Marcusm wrote: »
    For prepackaged goods, I’d agree with you. For anything which requires discernment in choice (whether that be apparent quality, freshness etc) I would not agree at all.

And a lot of the prepackaged goods like dairy, breads, etc also vary considerably in freshness.

josip wrote: »
    And a lot of the prepackaged goods like dairy, breads, etc also vary considerably in freshness.

luckily they allow you to reject anything you dont want and refund you immediately, so its in their interests to pack fresh items.

for meat i goto the butcher, most other things you can order and have delivered, unless you love spend ages fondling melons or whatever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

luckily they allow you to reject anything you dont want and refund you immediately, so its in their interests to pack fresh items.

for meat i goto the butcher, most other things you can order and have delivered, unless you love spend ages fondling melons or whatever :D

Funnily enough, I spend considerable time selecting individual carrots as my golden retriever is very fussy as to the size and knobbliness of carrots which she will crunch!

Interesting article, haven't seen anything like this before. Wonder what motivates a council to engage in overdevelopment? Money, money, money, increased LPT??
    Discuss.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-rathdown-told-to-scale-back-housing-plans-1.4546039

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We constantly have blocked storm drains on the road where I live. Every couple of months or so I notice the lorry that is supposed to clean out these drains drive along our road and maybe select one of the drains to clean and ignore all the others.

The other day, the driver just drove up one side of the road and then down the other and didn't clean one drain.

He didn't even get out of his lorry to inspect the drains he was passing.

How does he know what drains to clean and what drains to ignore?

Interesting article, haven't seen anything like this before. Wonder what motivates a council to engage in overdevelopment? Money, money, money, increased LPT??
    Discuss.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-rathdown-told-to-scale-back-housing-plans-1.4546039

Brown envelopes ?

Brown envelopes ?

I hope not. Wouldn't think that corruption is rife in our LA's. At the same time I'm not sure that our councilors are blessed with an abundance of competence.

We constantly have blocked storm drains on the road where I live. Every couple of months or so I notice the lorry that is supposed to clean out these drains drive along our road and maybe select one of the drains to clean and ignore all the others.

The other day, the driver just drove up one side of the road and then down the other and didn't clean one drain.

He didn't even get out of his lorry to inspect the drains he was passing.

How does he know what drains to clean and what drains to ignore?

Ground penetrating radar in the truck? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Discuss.

Maybe they actually want to address the housing crisis? I guarantee you none of the planners saying there will be too much housing built are having issues buying a house.

It's the same over and over again. We need more housing in this Country! Just nowhere near my area.....

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Maybe they actually want to address the housing crisis? I guarantee you none of the planners saying there will be too much housing built are having issues buying a house.

It's the same over and over again. We need more housing in this Country! Just nowhere near my area.....

Well no, this is different, its isn't people saying "nowhere near my area" its the regulator saying "too much in this area". Perhaps its due to an over concentration leading to infrastructural problems?

• Advertisement

The most expensive borough in Dublin is hardly the place to attempt to solve the housing crisis (if there is one )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Well no, this is different, its isn't people saying "nowhere near my area" its the regulator saying "too much in this area". Perhaps its due to an over concentration leading to infrastructural problems?

It's gas you mention that. I can remember oh too well the criticism of the Luas through Cherrywood. "The Luas to nowhere". White elephant. What were they thinking sending it there? However now it's a case of please don't build more housing here, the Luas can't cope with the demand.
    Let's be honest here, nowhere in Ireland has adequate infrastructure for more housing but that's not a reason to just allow this crisis to continue indefinitely. We should continue to address infrastructure needs in tandem with building housing.

The most expensive borough in Dublin is hardly the place to attempt to solve the housing crisis (if there is one )
    No it's irrelevant. Supply and demand. More people moving here could free up housing In other areas. Not to mention the benefit for local shops and businesses.

It's gas you mention that. I can remember oh too well the criticism of the Luas through Cherrywood. "The Luas to nowhere". White elephant. What were they thinking sending it there?

I don't remember people saying that, but what I do remember is, despite increasing the length of the trams and the frequency, pre covid that piece of infrastructure was certainly creaking at the joints morning and evening.

Maybe that's part of the problem, when good infrastructure such as the Luas is put in place it seems to give carte blanche for unlimited development, without capacity considerations?

I hope not. Wouldn't think that corruption is rife in our LA's. .

I agree.
    At the same time I'm not sure that our councilors are blessed with an abundance of competence

Honestly, in my experience, councillors are so hamstrung by the civil servants it's difficult to get anything done. I remember being surprised when I realised how little real power (to enact change) LEA elected officials have. Must be a very frustrating role in a lot of ways. Fair play to them for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its absolutely ridiculous at a time of a national housing crisis that DLRCOCO is being reprimanded for trying to address said housing crisis.

Its not like we're going to have ghost estates in Blackrock or Killiney if things are "overbuilt". Any housing built will be instantly snapped up, its one of the most desirable locations in the country. And its also not like the area is going to get "too built up" - theres very little vacant land to begin with, its a well developed suburb.

Obviously the Regulator has some reason or metrics for making the following statement:

"Planning regulators have told councillors in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown to scale back residential zoning, saying the targets in their new development plan allow almost 7,000 more housing units than needed".

I agree.

Honestly, in my experience, councillors are so hamstrung by the civil servants it's difficult to get anything done. I remember being surprised when I realised how little real power (to enact change) LEA elected officials have. Must be a very frustrating role in a lot of ways. Fair play to them for doing it.

Agreed, that too!

7,000 more housing units than needed".[/I]

I got to this bit in the report and I thought "in what universe?".

Hard to take anything seriously from people who said that.

You don't believe the housing crisis exists?

• Advertisement

I got to this bit in the report and I thought "in what universe?".

Hard to take anything seriously from people who said that.

I don't know if the 7,000 figure is true or not, but what I can say is that the Regulator works in a political environment and before making a statement such as that, which currently is neither very politically correct or "woked", you would want to be damn sure of your facts.

Advertisement