Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bit random, but just copped that there's a track on the new David Gray album called Dun Laoghaire.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Bit random, but just copped that there's a track on the new David Gray album called Dun Laoghaire.

Is it grim?
    There's a song by Therapy? called Tides that's written about DunLaoighre also. Andy Cairns used to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it grim?
    There's a song by Therapy? called Tides that's written about DunLaoighre also. Andy Cairns used to live there.

I will say melancholy... think it is about someone walking home after a breakup.

So with thoughts all smudged and beery
    Make my way down to Dún Laoghaire
    Peek through windows fogged and teary
    From the warmth inside...
    And ain't it obvious
    By now
    There ain't no me and you
    Never was

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Have to give a big shout out to "the pen place" in the shopping centre, which I think has been mentioned on this thread before. Was looking for fountain pen ink and amazon wouldn't deliver to Ireland. Remembered The Pen Place getting a good mention here. Gave them a call and the owner couldn't have been more helpful. Should have checked local first.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is there anywhere around Dun Laoghaire that I can buy "Fountain Candles" like these at the moment ?
    https://www.partyworld.ie/blue-fountain-candles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

josip wrote: »
    Is there anywhere around Dun Laoghaire that I can buy "Fountain Candles" like these at the moment ?
    https://www.partyworld.ie/blue-fountain-candles/

You might get lucky in Dealz or Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TaxPro

Does anyone else notice the amount of Tesco trolleys left on streets around and near the Bloomfield’s shopping centre? Sometimes I see as many as 5 or 6 attached to one another (presumably to release the coin from the trolley) and just randomly blocking a footpath. Has there ever been any attempt to stop those who do this? I know some supermarkets have wheels that lock when you leave the grounds - why doesn’t Tesco Dun Laoghaire do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TaxPro wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice the amount of Tesco trolleys left on streets around and near the Bloomfield’s shopping centre? Sometimes I see as many as 5 or 6 attached to one another (presumably to release the coin from the trolley) and just randomly blocking a footpath. Has there ever been any attempt to stop those who do this? I know some supermarkets have wheels that lock when you leave the grounds - why doesn’t Tesco Dun Laoghaire do this?

The bigger question would by why supermarkets limit the provision of trolleys to those who need them least - those who have a car or other vehicle with a boot nearby.

Supermarkets really need to start looking after all their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

The bigger question would by why supermarkets limit the provision of trolleys to those who need them least - those who have a car or other vehicle with a boot nearby.

I knew when I looked at your name as being the last poster on this thread that you would be squeezing in something about cars with a negative undertone included.

What exactly are you proposing supermarkets do, allow people with no cars to bring trolleys home? Provide them with some kind of device to attach them to their bikes?? I don't think supermarkets have the same agenda as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I fail to see how you could cycle with the amount of shopping it would take to fill a trolly

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    I fail to see how you could cycle with the amount of shopping it would take to fill a trolly

How big is your trolley?

https://twitter.com/caoilybee_like/status/1333101090594807810

https://twitter.com/sandie_madd/status/1271794670817992710

https://twitter.com/TrueJom/status/984189021101412352

Actually I wasn't thinking about cycling, but thanks for bringing up that important point. I was more thinking about people on foot.

I too notice supermarket trollies all around the place, in all kinds of areas - working class areas and very comfortable areas - which suggests there is a demand for mobility that isn't being met by supermarkets.
    I knew when I looked at your name as being the last poster on this thread that you would be squeezing in something about cars with a negative undertone included.

What exactly are you proposing supermarkets do, allow people with no cars to bring trolleys home? Provide them with some kind of device to attach them to their bikes?? I don't think supermarkets have the same agenda as you.

I'm not claiming to have all the solutions. I'd imagine that the agenda of supermarkets is to sell more product to more customers, so perhaps thinking beyond the confines of the car park might just have some merit.

For a start, make it easy for people to shop by bike. Provide safe, secure, monitored bike parking, with proper Sheffield stands, and room for cargo bikes, trikes and others. Use visible CCTV to provide security.

Then consider the needs of those who don't have access to a car or don't want to use a car for such journeys. Maybe a deposit system for taking trolleys home would work, or maybe we can use drones go to out and pick up the trolleys and bring them back to base? If you can use a drone to delivery coffee that why can't you use it to delivery a trolley? Like I said, I don't have the answers, but not everyone has a car and not everyone wants to use a car.

I don't know why I am getting sucked into this.... but...... supermarkets provide a device for you to gather items around their store, the trolley. It is up to the customer then to transport it back home however they see fit. So, those people with the fancy bike storage can transfer from trolley to bike, car drivers can transfer to car, pedestrians can use one of the granny wheelie drag behind things if they want. People adapt the amount the buy based on how they get to and from the shop, simple. If you cant carry a big load home cause you don't have a car, get it delivered, supermarkets have adapted to cater for those types of shoppers already.

You would want a fairly big and powerful drone to pick up a trolley. It would be a daft idea for supermarkets to encourage people to take trollies offsite, you would just cause more problems like the one described above. Cars are the dominant means of transport chosen by consumers so of course they will cater to car users, not the minority.

I don't know why I am getting sucked into this.... but...... supermarkets provide a device for you to gather items around their store, the trolley. It is up to the customer then to transport it back home however they see fit. So, those people with the fancy bike storage can transfer from trolley to bike, car drivers can transfer to car, pedestrians can use one of the granny wheelie drag behind things if they want. People adapt the amount the buy based on how they get to and from the shop, simple. If you cant carry a big load home cause you don't have a car, get it delivered, supermarkets have adapted to cater for those types of shoppers already.

You would want a fairly big and powerful drone to pick up a trolley. It would be a daft idea for supermarkets to encourage people to take trollies offsite, you would just cause more problems like the one described above. Cars are the dominant means of transport chosen by consumers so of course they will cater to car users, not the minority.

Presumably you'd been keen for supermarkets to consider the needs of those without cars in the many parts of Dublin where car ownership is, in fact, in the minority?

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1260175619415048195

This thread has a title of Dun Laoghaire, your map doesn't include data for there.

Edited to say, regardless of your map being useless to me I have no interest in debating over bicycle use despite being a cyclist. I regret posting my first post and acknowledging the anti-car sentiment, and allowing air time and my headspace to be used for this tiresome argument.

This thread has a title of Dun Laoghaire, your map doesn't include data for there.

So as I said, pesumably you'd been keen for supermarkets to consider the needs of those without cars in the many parts of Dublin where car ownership is, in fact, in the minority?

Andrew, I am politely declining to get sucked into your argument and dragging the thread off topic. My part in this debate will be ending here, I don't agree with you or your unending stream of anti car posts and probably never will. Thanks.

Andrew, I am politely declining to get sucked into your argument and dragging the thread off topic. My part in this debate will be ending here, I don't agree with you or your unending stream of anti car posts and probably never will. Thanks.

There is nothing anti car about suggesting a little bit of consideration for others. Though I guess when you've enjoyed such privileges for decades, any small bit of rebalancing can seem like an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Plot twist.

The reality is cyclist or motorist anyone actually travelling to a supermarket has to be a sadist when they offer a delivery service .

Cyrus wrote: »
    Plot twist.

The reality is cyclist or motorist anyone actually travelling to a supermarket has to be a sadist when they offer a delivery service .

Looks like sadism is fairly popular these days

https://twitter.com/hashtag/shopbybike?s=09

Looks like sadism is fairly popular these days

https://twitter.com/hashtag/shopbybike?s=09

Doesn’t make it right and I hardly need Twitter photos of people on bikes the car parks are full everywhere as well

As I said cyclist or motorist it makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

Plot twist.

+1 to this.

Last minute top-up/urgent shops obviously fair enough. But I've no idea why anyone would still go to a supermarket for a big weekly shop these days. The delivery fee from online is only 2-4eur, presumably close to what you'd spend on petrol+parking. And obviously far far less effort than lugging around loads of bags of stuff if you're walking/cycling/on public transport. And on top it easily saves literally hours of your life every week.

Thats not even mentioning the whole corona thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Blut2 wrote: »
    +1 to this.

Last minute top-up/urgent shops obviously fair enough. But I've no idea why anyone would still go to a supermarket for a big weekly shop these days. The delivery fee from online is only 2-4eur, presumably close to what you'd spend on petrol+parking. And obviously far far less effort than lugging around loads of bags of stuff if you're walking/cycling/on public transport. And on top it easily saves literally hours of your life every week.

Thats not even mentioning the whole corona thing...

I'll be honest...the amount of time, effort and inconvenience it takes to put in an order online and get it delivered makes me wonder why anyone who didn't absolutely have to do it, would.

Slightly off-topic but I find things that are widely touted as being more "convenient" than just walking somewhere and going into a shop usually take more time and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

That seems rather odd. It takes me about 30 seconds every week to re-add my usual weekly regular items in bulk in one-go. And then maybe 5 minutes to add any specific items for the week. Versus 90-120 minutes to get ready to leave the house, travel to the shops, do a big shop and travel home. And obviously far far more physical effort doing that than sitting at a PC for a few minutes.

How long exactly does it take you to do it online vs in real life?

That seems rather odd. It takes me about 30 seconds every week to re-add my usual weekly regular items in bulk in one-go. And then maybe 5 minutes to add any specific items for the week. Versus 90-120 minutes to get ready to leave the house, travel to the shops, do a big shop and travel home. And obviously far far more physical effort doing that than sitting at a PC for a few minutes.

I know what my preferences are in the supermarket. Ever break your leg and ring a mate to do your grocery shopping for you? It's tortuous. And no fault of theirs.

Online shopping for 50-100 items is even worse. I would rather go to the shops meself thanks.

(Edit: I live near a supermarket. If and when I live so far away it takes 90-120 mins to do a shop, maybe I'll consider the alternative)

I'm on a roll here but I always laugh at my mates who spend 15mins on an app, ordering a take away, when the phone number of the restaurant is right there.

(Plus the restaurant gets a better cut if you just call them)

I honestly don't get it.

JayRoc wrote: »
    I'll be honest...the amount of time, effort and inconvenience it takes to put in an order online and get it delivered makes me wonder why anyone who didn't absolutely have to do it, would.

Slightly off-topic but I find things that are widely touted as being more "convenient" than just walking somewhere and going into a shop usually take more time and hassle.

Effort it takes ? Are you mad ? It’s a 5 minute job on the app gets delivered to your door it literally could not be more convenient.

It ruins my weekend now if I have to go to a supermarket because we forgot to book a slot.

It ruins my weekend now if I have to go to a supermarket because we forgot to book a slot.

I have a supermarket within a few minutes walk of my home.

I am also someone who does not necessarily prefer time-consuming online interactions to just doing a thing in person. But that is just me.

I have a supermarket within a few minutes walk from my home.

I am also someone who does not necessarily prefer time-consuming online interactions to just doing a thing in person. But that is just me.

Except it’s not time consuming , that’s just incorrect, might be the first time you do it but after that you’d have the shop done in less time than it takes you to walk to the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Have you seen the movie Wall E

21/25

• Advertisement

I'm on a roll here but I always laugh at my mates who spend 15mins on an app, ordering a take away, when the phone number of the restaurant is right there.

(Plus the restaurant gets a better cut if you just call them)

I honestly don't get it.

do your friends not have opposable thumbs or something :pac:

Advertisement