Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

fixXxer wrote: »
    The cold attracts the hard core :pac: Going to do a few long exposure, see how they come out. The wind being up usually means interesting seas.

Sure post up the pics - it might move discussion on from the app ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

frash wrote: »
    Sure post up the pics - it might move discussion on from the app ;)
    Ah now all I can think about is the app, thanks for reminding me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Ah now all I can think about is the app, thanks for reminding me!

Minor obsession for some, compared to the bike lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mav11 wrote: »
    Minor obsession for some, compared to the bike lanes!

Says the person who keeps talking about it....

See DLRCoCo have launched the new county plan

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices-press-releases/public-consultation-dlr’s-draft-county-development

Consultation is open

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ted1 wrote: »

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices-press-releases/public-consultation-dlr’s-draft-county-development

Consultation is open
    Secure Connection Failed

Well that was underwhelming.

• Advertisement

Did say "some" Ted, which neither includes, or excludes anybody in particular!!!!!!

I stand by my earlier comment

Consultation is open
    the need for housing choice and the desire for sustainable neighbourhoods
    How they can talk about sustainable neighbourhoods and have apartments for rental not for sale seems a bit at odds. What kind of community can you have?

https://www.hines.com/properties/cherrywood-town-centre-dublin
    Cherrywood Town Centre is located in the heart of Cherrywood, Ireland’s largest urban development. Cherrywood Town Centre will inlcude approximately 1,300 build-to-rent apartments; a 721,182-square-foot mixed-used retail centre; 39,826 square feet of additional ground floor retail; and a 200-key hotel.

I think they are talking about a different type of sustainable....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

How they can talk about sustainable neighbourhoods and have apartments for rental not for sale seems a bit at odds. What kind of community can you have?

Cherrywood Town Centre is located in the heart of Cherrywood, Ireland’s largest urban development. Cherrywood Town Centre will inlcude approximately 1,300 build-to-rent apartments; a 721,182-square-foot mixed-used retail centre; 39,826 square feet of additional ground floor retail; and a 200-key hotel.

this will be in end Student accom. or council paid for those whom have lost their homes by covid\economic stste of ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's not necessarily at odds, see Germany.

• Advertisement

Here’s the kicker.
    They got the land cheap of NAMA
    They aren’t selling them, so not paying VAT on them
    They won’t pay Tax on rental income as it’ll be offset.

So by not selling them
    The state losses millions ( possible hundreds)

strandroad wrote: »
    It's not necessarily at odds, see Germany.

It would take some cultural shift to get like Germany. The Irish are wedded to home and land ownership, but it is changing.

It would take some cultural shift to get like Germany. The Irish are wedded to home and land ownership, but it is changing.

That would require a complete change to the market
    Low Fixed interest rates , 20 year leases , ability to lease unfurnished, swift evictions.

The attitude to shared space leaves a lot to be desired here in Ireland. Further I can't see how these co-living developments won't turn into total holes.
    TBH I thought they were finished by the pandemic but evidently not as several are going ahead in dublin.

The attitude to shared space leaves a lot to be desired here in Ireland. Further I can't see how these co-living developments won't turn into total holes.
    TBH I thought they were finished by the pandemic but evidently not as several are going ahead in dublin.

Are co-living developments not effectively banned now? The ones that are going ahead, are those which had applied for, or had planning permission prior to the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I lived in a co-living complex in Norway for 3 years. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. We had a cleaner come in once a week to pick up any slack, but mostly the tenants behaved responsibly. Absolutely nothing wrong. Made some great friends to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are co-living developments not effectively banned now? The ones that are going ahead, are those which had applied for, or had planning permission prior to the ban?

No. Any that had submitted initial applications prior to the ban are entitled to be considered by the regulations that existed at the time.

Chinasea wrote: »
    I lived in a co-living complex in Norway for 3 years. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. We had a cleaner come in once a week to pick up any slack, but mostly the tenants behaved responsibly. Absolutely nothing wrong. Made some great friends to boot.
    And the people I've talked who lived in them abroad found the fine too, I just think we will an absolute b@lls of it here. We have huge issues around anti social behaviour accommodation and lack of employment. Having called the gardai / council many times with noise complaints / disturbance in various parts of Dublin and seen the drug paraphenalia drunken misbehaviour and resulting damage (that others have to pay for) . The authorities and housing agencies just don't want to know about issues so will just worsen in co-living developments, with an exodus of sane people from the housing. Or maybe they will have evenings reciting poetry. :)
    That would require a complete change to the market
    Low Fixed interest rates , 20 year leases , ability to lease unfurnished, swift evictions.
    I'd make a random guess and say Legally we are what, maybe 20 years from that

I'm dragging the thread off topic a bit so this will be the last I'll say on it :-)
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-4-co-living-developers-claim-less-need-for-kitchens-as-employers-like-facebook-provide-meals-39940480.html
    The backers of a €25m plan to construct a co-living scheme in Dublin 4 have said there will be less demand for communal kitchens by residents as employers like Facebook provide meals in the workplace.
    I guess with many working from home they can just get on board with intermittent fasting :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Chinasea wrote: »
    I'd have loved something like this when I was younger, and I can particularly see the attraction when you've moved to a new city. Having your own little place would certainly have been better than a boxroom in a house full of complete strangers.

Not everything has to be a 3-bed affordable home with a garden, people at different stages of life have different needs. We need a mix of different accommodation types across South Dublin. I like the new estates which are being built with a mixture of detached, semi-d and apartments.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd have loved something like this when I was younger, and I can particularly see the attraction when you've moved to a new city. Having your own little place would certainly have been better than a boxroom in a house full of complete strangers.

Not everything has to be a 3-bed affordable home with a garden, people at different stages of life have different needs. We need a mix of different accommodation types across South Dublin. I like the new estates which are being built with a mixture of detached, semi-d and apartments.

I don't think many would disagree with you, would have loved one myself. Tea Drinker makes a fair point which I'd agree with, that we would probably make a complete balls of them and in short time they'd become complete slums!!!

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »

Well after the bust we had the heart wrenching stories documentary on RTE of families trapped :-) in apartment complexes. They are a new concept here, and granted some can be small for a family, but the perception us (unlike the norm on continent) it's a human rights abuse to expect Irish families live in an apartment.
    We have had slums the councils created before, perfectly workable buildings in Ballymun had to be tore down. I'll repeat myself, the ability of Irish people to share space in a respectful social manner is very limited. The ability of the councils and housing authorities to manage this is small. Everything with housing is bollixed, same with the dysfunctional mortgage market because no one can be moved on from a house they refuse to pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I see Randox are opening a covid testing centre in the old ferry terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭josip

GT89 wrote: »
    I see Randox are opening a covid testing centre in the old ferry terminal

It will be a drive through according to their website.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interesting to note that some small/independent retailers have decided to open up again in DL and quietly resume trading. Likely forced by economic circumstances to do so, but I wonder will we see more widespread resumption of trading, or when/will the Gardai step in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Interesting to note that some small/independent retailers have decided to open up again in DL and quietly resume trading. Likely forced by economic circumstances to do so, but I wonder will we see more widespread resumption of trading, or when/will the Gardai step in?

Which places? I know a lot of the food spots have been doing coffee/takeaway where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Haven't seen any in Dun Laoghaire but a beauty salon in Balbriggan tried it & were shut down by the Gardai within an hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,914 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

frash wrote: »
    Haven't seen any in Dun Laoghaire but a beauty salon in Balbriggan tried it & were shut down by the Gardai within an hour or so
    According to Twitter that was a stunt sponsored by Freeman of the Land Ben Gilroy.

Needless to say it didn't go well.

Which places? I know a lot of the food spots have been doing coffee/takeaway where possible.

I ain't no snitch! :pac:

Three places open today that I hadn't previously noticed. Only one with a customer inside. Not food related.

Keep your eyes peeled ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Nothing illegal or against restrictions for a food business to operate on a take away business model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I ain't no snitch! :pac:

Three places open today that I hadn't previously noticed. Only one with a customer inside. Not food related.

Keep your eyes peeled ;)

there are certain stores that fall under essential services that you might not be aware of, for example a cobbler that also cuts keys (the guy in dalkey is open all the time because of that)

Advertisement