Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

HighLine wrote: »
    A difference of opinion is all well and good but for you to come out and say a 4 time major champ with circa 15+ wins to his name was never a good putter and suggest that any wins he does have and may get, is just the luck of a streak coinciding with some big events is just silly IMO.

Yep I still say he's a streaky putter. He's so bloody good from tee to green he wouldn't always have to be clinical on the green to win. Putting IS his biggest weakness, he IS a streaky putter. He rarely has as much issues with the driver or the irons, as he does with the putter, the stats bear that out. He undoubtededly will win several more majors when he's on a streak. But He will also continue to disappoint in as many events when he's on the green in regulation without much effort and but still just ends up with a par.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rory does not hit the ball close enough to the pin to take advantage of his driving length and accuracy so it's his irons that let him down, he can still miss a green from the centre of a fairway 120y out with a wedge, that's shocking at his level, like missing your mouth with a fork.
    Comparison time, Tigers irons were phenomenal and his putting matched

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sorry, but Tiger was much wilder with his irons than Rory. When Rory is playing on form he's pinging the ball to 2-3 foot from the flag. Tiger relied on amazing scrambling and long putting for so much of his success.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory is excellent with a low to mid irons but can be shocking at times with a pitching wedge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jayop wrote: »
    Sorry, but Tiger was much wilder with his irons than Rory. When Rory is playing on form he's pinging the ball to 2-3 foot from the flag. Tiger relied on amazing scrambling and long putting for so much of his success.

Tiger had to scramble cause he was crap off the tee. Tiger v Rory with the Driver.... only one winner, but when it came to the short game, Jordan is great, but Tiger was phenominal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rory is excellent with a low to mid irons but can be shocking at times with a pitching wedge.

This is just an impression mind, but he doesn't seem to be getting as much spin with his wedges. I remember back when he won the US open, he was hitting shots over the flag and spinning them back to the hole. Now they're still going over the flag (when he's spot on) but they're landing like a sack of spuds and staying put.

There's definitely something not quite right with that part of his game though (impressions aside). He's even missed the green on occasion with a wedge shot.

As for his putting; the end of year stats don't lie, but they don't give the full picture. He's definitely streaky because some of his individual match stats have him gaining a stroke or thereabouts through putting. The bad days and the good ones balance out for the annual stats to be a bit meh, but he can turn it on (or it can go hot and cold) depending on your viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The ankle injury really was the worst timing for Rory. Lets not forget his week at Quail Hollow where he obliterated the field and described the 61 as the best round of his life. He then went on to have a strong US Open but it's known that he doesn't putt well on poor greens and we all know how bad those greens were.

I am sure we will see Rory back to the top next year and he will surpass Jordan and Jason's 5 wins for the 2015 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

The ankle injury really was the worst timing for Rory. Lets not forget his week at Quail Hollow where he obliterated the field and described the 61 as the best round of his life. He then went on to have a strong US Open but it's known that he doesn't putt well on poor greens and we all know how bad those greens were.

I am sure we will see Rory back to the top next year and he will surpass Jordan and Jason's 5 wins for the 2015 season.

I'm sure he will win loads too......just needs to get a few putting streaks going. :);):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

I've just read on the PGA Tour website that Rory is playing in the Frys.com Open the weekend after next. Seems a bit strange in the context of the European Tour granting him an exemption from the requirement to play 12 tournaments in order to qualify for the grand final in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Some serious stats!

RORY MCILROY’S SEASON IN NUMBERS

TRAINING (2015)
    1036 Kilometres ran
    3300 Lengths swam
    6800 Press ups
    6720 Minutes spent stretching
    6320 Pull ups/Chin ups
    640 Kilometres cycled

TRAINING (2011)
    440 kilometres ran
    300 lengths swam
    1400 press ups
    0 pull ups/chin ups
    190 kilometres cycled

TRAVEL (this season)
    350 Hours in the air
    287 Hotel nights
    118 Airports used
    18 Days off
    60 Hours of music on playlist
    165 Hours slept on a plane

GOLF (this season)
    16500 Balls hit
    1 Club thrown in water
    1500 Kilometres walked on course
    301 Fastest ball driven (kph)
    210 Media interviews
    6350 Autographs signed

• Advertisement

The apology after the club throw saved him 20 grand :D
    The PGA Tour does not reveal how much players are fined for such incidents, but McIlroy told Press Association Sport: "The fine was reduced from 25,000 to 5,000 (dollars) because I said I was sorry on the TV interview afterwards."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/sorry-seems-to-be-the-hardest-word-rory-mcilroy-saved-himself-20000-by-apologising-31582746.html

For those who might have missed it, Rory visited the Irish rugby team yesterday morning to give them a few lessons. Luke FitzGerald made everyone's day.

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/653645106151587840

Video of the full session here

And Luke Fitz playing fetch the driver :)

Interesting that Rory is required to play at this week's Frys Open.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/13860414/rory-mcilroy-fulfilling-obligation-play-fryscom-open-week

A good Q&A on periscope here https://www.periscope.tv/w/aQC9rzUyODM0MHwxbXJ4bXBZWnBuekp5rz6RNPVVx2Y0CYBWtYqORp4CfQDPnWGI9CKToKLsECc=

Hopefully he can get the short stick working this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

A good Q&A on periscope here https://www.periscope.tv/w/aQC9rzUyODM0MHwxbXJ4bXBZWnBuekp5rz6RNPVVx2Y0CYBWtYqORp4CfQDPnWGI9CKToKLsECc=

Hopefully he can get the short stick working this week.
    Yeah and if he gets the flat stick working as well, he'll be unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That was decent from Rory - putting much better TG.

Another -5 today to make three in a row. One off the lead now. Putting much better. Had a putt from the front edge of the 18th for eagle and left himself a tap in for birdie.

rrpc wrote: »
    Another -5 today to make three in a row. One off the lead now. Putting much better. Had a putt from the front edge of the 18th for eagle and left himself a tap in for birdie.
    That was a lovely putt. He's doing much better with the putting now.

You'd have to fancy him for this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

He'll not be anywhere near -5 today, nothing going right for him.

Was that a little bit of the yips in the birdie putt there? Must look for a replay.

• Advertisement

Was that a little bit of the yips in the birdie putt there? Must look for a replay.

He seems to be doing the same thing that Stockton spotted during the PGA (I think). He's moving his knee slightly during the stroke and it seems to be making him catch the ball off centre. A couple I saw were off towards the toe.

But he's not giving himself enough chances with his approach play. A lot of shots (some unlucky to be fair) are landing too far from the flag to give him a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

rrpc wrote: »
    He seems to be doing the same thing that Stockton spotted during the PGA (I think). He's moving his knee slightly during the stroke and it seems to be making him catch the ball off centre. A couple I saw were off towards the toe.

How much does he owe you for the lesson ;)

ForeRight wrote: »
    How much does he owe you for the lesson ;)

Damn! Forgot to send the invoice. It'll be another month now before I'm paid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Rory still third in the rankings but the gap to the top is now just half a point.

Looks like being an epic battle next season.

Rory still third in the rankings but the gap to the top is now just half a point.

Delighted Rory made up some ground on the other two. Really tight at the top now - so much more interesting for golf fans that the Tiger glory days!

vienne86 wrote: »
    Delighted Rory made up some ground on the other two. Really tight at the top now - so much more interesting for golf fans that the Tiger glory days!

Whilst the current crop of golfers at the top is great viewing, I wouldn't necessarily agree with second part.

What Tiger did and accomplished was staggering and more often than not, the way in which he did it was just mesmerizing to watch. Golf viewership has never recovered from his glory days.

Maybe just my opinion but I love to watch sportsmen excel and dominate at the top of their respective sports. Whether it's your Tiger Woods, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Michael Schumacher, Roger Federer etc, fans love to watch a masterclass.

More on topic... I still can't help but think could of been for Rory this year if it wasn't for the injury. The win at the Wells Fargo back in May was phenomenal. He simply dominated and the 61 on the Saturday is up there with one of the greatest rounds I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He looked pretty damn close to his best at the weekend. Next season should be just epic with the three of them and as good a field as I can think of in my time following golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Who do you think will come out on top?

I think if all 3 are on top form Rory is the best, but the other two probably have more reliable all round games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Ormus wrote: »
    Who do you think will come out on top?

I think if all 3 are on top form Rory is the best, but the other two probably have more reliable all round games.

Of the three Rory still looks the strongest. He's driving the ball miles and very accurately. He seems to be dialled in with his approach shots and his putting has improved dramatically.

The main asset he seems to have is that determination to win when the opportunity presents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When is he back in action?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement