Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

It's nice to see him been grilled though!, especially when you can see it's getting under his skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It's nice to see him been grilled though!, especially when you can see it's getting under his skin.

Why is that nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

I would ask the reporter how many times he shags his wife a week, since we are getting so intimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lets just leave it thanks, let the reporters pry and we will talk about the golf.
    Its a bit rich to complain about reporters when a large percentage of this thread is about his personal life.

Move on please, no more warnings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If we don't hear anything about his 'private life' then we shouldn't hear anything about his contracts, endorsements or any other of his 'private business', yet all we ever hear about is Nike, Nike, Nike.

Seems to be a typical case of double standards, publicising what suits but brushing everything else under the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

If we don't hear anything about his 'private life' then we shouldn't hear anything about his contracts, endorsements or any other of his 'private business', yet all we ever hear about is Nike, Nike, Nike.

Seems to be a typical case of double standards, publicising what suits but brushing everything else under the carpet.

Because he's a salesman for Nike and their golf products, not the Institution of marriage or power couples.

His contracts, especially his equipment and commercial obligations are directly related to his golf. To equate those with his non golf related stuff is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Rubbish. Its called drawing a line, not double standards.

Taking McIlroy out of it for a moment, any professional sportsman (or any professional, full stop) is entitled to his/her privacy. More than that, they are entitled to decide what they should publicise or not.

It can be logically argued that the business affairs (let's call them that) of a top-class professional golfer are in the interests of the media - contracts / club suppliers / general itinerary etc. However, there is no entitlement to knowledge about what happens to that professional outside that realm.

In business media terms, personal details (married to, how many kids, something that might surprise, etc.) are usually used solely to add colour to an article about that person's business role. You almost never hear more than that. The reason they are in the news is because of what they do, not because of who they're married to. A business interviewer would never ask more personal questions than the ones alluded to above, and nor should they. I'm not sure why people assume a sporting professional should be treated any differently.

In my view, it is the fault of the media. The hunger and insatiability of the online and print media (led by the red tops) is what drives it. And worse, its a self-perpetuating environment. Z-list celebrity status is bringing media standards down and down into the gutter. Witness this week's coverage about a semi-famous couple who jetted into Cork this week for their honeymoon - another self-serving bucket of warm manure the media are only too happy to wallow in...

The only way for a professional sportsman to deal with this is to (a) stay completely out - not engage with media in any way, not do interviews outside the ropes, never go out or engage in social media interaction with fans, or (b) to push right back and refuse to get into personal details.

A line needs to be drawn. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a balance that can be easily struck for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

First Up wrote: »
    His contacts, especially his equipment and commercial obligations are directly related to his golf. To equate those with his non golf related stuff is nonsense.

If he was an alcoholic it would directly affect his golf, but according to your logic we wouldn't be allowed to discuss that either. You're backing yourself into a corner bigtime there.

It's hilarious the number of saddos who claim there's no connection between his personal/public life, but then turn round and inform us that the break-up was the only reason he won last week!

Typical Irish hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anatom wrote: »
    Witness this week's coverage about a semi-famous couple who jetted into Cork this week for their honeymoon - another self-serving bucket of warm manure the media are only too happy to wallow in...

heard loads of reports about it on the radio. can't think of what their names are now, jay zee or something weird like that wasn't it?

besides not knowing their names, if they were standing in front of me i couldn't pick them out of a line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

stevieob wrote: »
    heard loads of reports about it on the radio. can't think of what their names are now, jay zee or something weird like that wasn't it?

besides not knowing their names, if they were standing in front of me i couldn't pick them out of a line up.

Me neither, and I have no interest either. Maybe the music forum would have a different view..

If he was an alcoholic it would directly affect his golf, but according to your logic we wouldn't be allowed to discuss that either. You're backing yourself into a corner bigtime there.

It's hilarious the number of saddos who claim there's no connection between his personal/public life, but then turn round and inform us that the break-up was the only reason he won last week!

Typical Irish hypocrisy.

I haven't seen anyone claim anything as ridiculous as his break up being the "only reason" he won. I think you dreamed that up too.

First Up wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone claim anything as ridiculous as his break up being the "only reason" he won. I think you dreamed that up too.

maybe it was me, I replied to someone saying that maybe he got rid of a distraction.

Anatom wrote: »
    Me neither, and I have no interest either. Maybe the music forum would have a different view..

Yea I know. Famous people.... woopie doo, who cares :eek: :):p:D;) :pac: :P :cool:

14249187492_4d5d079dd2_z.jpgZOE_0293_1 by stevieob, on Flickr

stevieob wrote: »
    maybe it was me, I replied to someone saying that maybe he got rid of a distraction.

The ONLY reason he won?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This thread is in severe danger of being locked if people dont cop on.
    Same people will also find themselves with an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Somebody pm me when we are back to talking about just his golf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Best of luck to the BMW PGA champ teeing it up tonight.

Hopefully he can continue his good form all the way to pine hurst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

ForeRight wrote: »
    Best of luck to the BMW PGA champ teeing it up tonight.

Hopefully he can continue his good form all the way to pine hurst

Out with Adam Scott and Jason Day - that will be a nice little 3 ball to watch. Hopefully they get the bulk of the coverage.

Knee injury worries for Rory... lets hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

Great nine holes -4

Knee looks very dodgy

Nice 340 yard drive there in spite of knee issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory is playing very well even with the injured knee.
    Let's just discuss the golf and the reasons someone is playing well/badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

big_drive wrote: »
    Great nine holes -4

Knee looks very dodgy

Knee? Is this new?

Leading at -7 now. Great stuff.

He really is on fire right now - strokes gained putting stat is 4.06!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Boy's on fire... every putt looks like it's going in... 3-3-3-3 start to back nine, eight-under-par...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

Leading at -7 now. Great stuff.

-8 thru 13 now, i have told the wife i'm gonna leave her the week before Captains Day.....she didn't seem to mind though

Ouch.... he will be doing well to walk off with a double after that shot. Shame.

• Advertisement

Co-leader after dropping 2 there. Now -6.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement