Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

gman127 wrote: »
    It's very true that if he would stop the bad runs from at least being so bad he'd definitely have won at least 2/3 times this year so far.

Alot of those good finishes were from a strong final day from the middle of the pack, I wonder would they have been so good if he started each Sunday maybe 1 or 2 shots from the lead.

After all it is golf and everyone has a bad stretch at some point, especially over 4 days, it's just about riding it out with minimal damage.

Judge a golfer by how good his bad rounds are I say!!

I still say he needs a caddy who will stop him doing silly things (like 17th yesterday) and be able to help him stop the rot during his (frequent) slumps mid-round and mid-tournament. Watching the programme on Bruce Edwards really brought that home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

First Up wrote: »
    I still say he needs a caddy who will stop him doing silly things (like 17th yesterday) and be able to help him stop the rot during his (frequent) slumps mid-round and mid-tournament. Watching the programme on Bruce Edwards really brought that home.

I don't know. He wouldn't be McIlroy if he didn't take on shots the rest of the field wouldn't try. He's very close to his best again; some of the shots over the last few days were reminiscent of when he was tearing it up in 2012.

Even so, he's tied 4th on a course that he admits doesn't suit him in a very tough week personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The Man is back!!!!

Superb round of golf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I'm sure Nike are highly delighted about this :rolleyes:

More distractions...I'd be shocked if he wins anything this year because "his head isn't right"

Ahemmm.... You were saying?

stevieob wrote: »
    .. think he will though this week.... he's been practicing.

Told yis :)

Is that his first win in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

stevieob wrote: »
    Ahemmm.... You were saying?

Told yis :)

You have inside info steve!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

ForeRight wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he has won 2 tournaments in Dubai.

* one of them was that season ending 10 million total prize pool job!!

kiers47 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he has won 2 tournaments in Dubai.

Yeah that's Asia isn't it? Middle East is Asia I thought.

I don't think he's won in Europe before. Not the tour terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Yeah first win in Europe (he has won European Tour events) as hard as it is to believe. Stunning performance and back on top where he should be. Hopefully the calls for JP's sacking will lull for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Yeah that's Asia isn't it? Middle East is Asia I thought.

I don't think he's won in Europe before. Not the tour terms

Ah right I get ya I thought you meant the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

How will this win effect Mcilroy's world ranking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

big_drive wrote: »
    How will this win effect Mcilroy's world ranking?

Up to 6th or 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

A nice victory for Rory. It will be a tough one to take for Wozzynacki. She'll be on her twat machine tonight twatting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Neeson wrote: »
    A nice victory for Rory. It will be a tough one to take for Wozzynacki. She'll be on her twat machine tonight twatting away.

So much innuendo. So little time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Delighted for Rory. Shuts up the cynics and doubters. Back where he belongs, winning the biggest tournaments. I don't think he was anywhere near his best this week, but it was still enough to beat a stellar field on a very difficult course.

What odds now for another major this summer?

First Up wrote: »
    Don't think I'd put any money on him this week.

Not one of my better calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Delighted for Mcilroy and I didn't bother posting in this thread for a while as some of the 'analysis' was a surefire way to get myself a yellow card it was so far off the mark it was scary.

Class is permanent and hopefully it will lead to a big summer with chances to add a major.

And his interview after was full of praise for the support he got all week and shows he appreciates people taking time to follow his progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

looks like he has found his balls again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Of all weeks to come good he knocks Lowry into second. The putt on 17 made it for him I think. All bodes well for the Irish open!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Now second in the race for Dubai!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Up to 6th or 7th.

6th it is. Scott is 1st and Stenson 2nd. Shane Lowry up to 74th. :cool:

Harrington down to 214th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

The words " Agreeable and mutual" raises lots of questions, for which the general punlic do not have the answer.

The rest is pure conjecture.

leave the guy alone and let him enjpy his golf. Which he is obviously doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Definitely the master if his domain this week, for the media winning is all that matters and he's put the brakes on the rest of the crap.

That was a fantastic tournament, and Lowry turned good like he said he would.

Not a great day for the begrudgers

Wonder how long d*ckhead reporters will keep annoying him with personal questions. In fairness to him, he very politely refused to answer and said "I'm here to talk about golf".

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10996941/rory-mcilroy-dodges-inquiry-split-caroline-wozniacki

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Wonder how long d*ckhead reporters will keep annoying him with personal questions. In fairness to him, he very politely refused to answer and said "I'm here to talk about golf".

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10996941/rory-mcilroy-dodges-inquiry-split-caroline-wozniacki
    One would persume until he answers their question, which to be fair is only fair.

One would persume until he answers their question, which to be fair is only fair.

To be fair - that is his private life and is no one else's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

He has answered enough about his private life..

Its an everyday story.. Boy meets girl, boy goes out with girl, boy gets engaged to girl, boy realises he is f****d, boy dumps girl, boy wins a golf tournament while girl gets dumped out of tennis tournament in the 1st round

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    To be fair - that is his private life and is no one else's business.
    Yeah I agree it's his private life and I'd say the vast majority of people couldn't care less about it, but when you release a unilateral statement like he did to the press last week with it seems now a few glaring inaccuracies, you start to dig a hole for yourself and therefore have some explaning to do in order to clarify how and why those inaccuracies accurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yeah I agree it's his private life and I'd say the vast majority of people couldn't care less about it, but when you release a unilateral statement like he did to the press last week with it seems now a few glaring inaccuracies, you start to dig a hole for yourself and therefore have some explaning to do in order to clarify how and why those inaccuracies accurred.

no he doesn't. he didn't even have to release the statement last week. obviously everyone knows about them being together, so it made sense to let everyone know they are no longer together. any more info is Rory & Carolines business, and it's up to them if they want to tell anyone else.

• Advertisement

I don't agree; he chose to make a private matter public and now he is (wisely) making it private again. I sympathise with both of them - probably she more than he - but the only relevance is to his golf.

In the last few years he has "over-committed" to put it mildly. The Nike deal, his management shenanigans and trying to maintain a relationship while they both travelled the world, usually in different directions. Something had to give.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement