Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dembele

Options
  • 11-09-2013 8:54pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has he been a significant disappointment since he signed ?
    Good on the ball.
    A lot of sideways passes, rather than forward ones.
    Terrible goal scoring record.

What do you reckon ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

I agree that he has been a big disappointment. I thought when we signed him from Fulham that he was a very good player but he hasn`t really improved us much. He has without doubt the ability, but he seems to go missing in games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

I think he's just in between two roles. He's very strong on the ball, but isn't skillful enough to be a good attacking midfielder. You never see him getting dispossesed. Maybe AVB was right last year, he's more a defensive midfielder than attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

I think he is a class act. He certainly hasn't started this season very well but I think we have yet to see the best of him. He looks a little unhappy or off colour in the last few games.

He is one of the best central midfielders I have seen to go past players in possession. I am confused as to why he doesnt get more goals because he has a good shot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I have a feeling he will be making way for for someone else in midfield if he doesn't improve soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

slegs wrote: »
    I think he is a class act. He certainly hasn't started this season very well but I think we have yet to see the best of him. He looks a little unhappy or off colour in the last few games.

He is one of the best central midfielders I have seen to go past players in possession. I am confused as to why he doesnt get more goals because he has a good shot

+1

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

slegs wrote: »

A class act, I hope he starts to show it soon, for a fella with so much ability, his assists and goal scoring record is shocking, and he gives the ball away in poor areas at times too. He'd want to start playing soon or he certainly won't be a regular I wouldn't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

read an article recently which stated that dembele had the best stats of any of our midfileders this season

Hard to believe i know, I really like him though, think he is a great player

Maybe off form a little but that will be temporary

mickman wrote: »
    read an article recently which stated that dembele had the best stats of any of our midfileders this season

Hard to believe i know, I really like him though, think he is a great player

Maybe off form a little but that will be temporary

Hope his goals/assists stats improve this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Hmmm, why can't he play like this again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Dembele is a quality footballer.

He certainly wasn't as effective going forward last season but the loss of Sandro was a huge factor. Dembele had to sacrifice his attacking instinct for the good of the team. Villas Boas didn't trust Parker/Huddlestone enough to allow Dembele to roam free.

I think as soon as him, Capoue, Sandro, Paulinho et al all start to understand each others game he'll come good again.

• Advertisement

Dembele is a quality footballer.

He certainly wasn't as effective going forward last season but the loss of Sandro was a huge factor. Dembele had to sacrifice his attacking instinct for the good of the team. Villas Boas didn't trust Parker/Huddlestone enough to allow Dembele to roam free.

I think as soon as him, Capoue, Sandro, Paulinho et al all start to understand each others game he'll come good again.

Hope your right chief.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Hope your right chief.

So do I.

My main concern for this season is full back:

Both Walker and Rose have poor positioning and make rash tackles.
    Naughton doesn't seem to be able to oust Walker at RB and is a makeshift LB.
    Is Fryers ready for first team football?
    Chiriches and Jan can fill in but not long term.
    Without a solid back four we'll win nothing.

So do I.

My main concern for this season is full back:

Both Walker and Rose have poor positioning and make rash tackles.
    Naughton doesn't seem to be able to oust Walker at RB and is a makeshift LB.
    Is Fryers ready for first team football?
    Chiriches and Jan can fill in but not long term.
    Without a solid back four we'll win nothing.

Your probably right. Walker needs to seriously work on his defensive side, I had hoped that Neville would have helped him with that but not so far. He gives away some really silly frees and again the other night showed his weakness. While he's sharp going forward, his final ball is rarely good. In saying that, Glen Johnson was the same for a long time but developed very well, let's hope walker goes the same way.

Rose looks solid enough for me.It's a huge season for him, it's ok doing it for Sunderland but with us hopefully challenging for top 4, he'll need to be on his game. Naughton doesn't convince me at all, maybe ok at right back, but certainly not left back, Jan will be back up for left full I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Moussa has been whipped off in the 1st 3 epl games.

Moussa has been whipped off in the 1st 3 epl games.

Exactly, because he hasn't done the business once.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Lads this thread is nuts. When Dembele was partnered with Sandro last season we had what was regarded as the strongest midfield duo in the league. He destroyed the Man Utd midfield both in the game he played for us and in the game he played for Fulham v Man Utd just before we signed him. He adds so much more to our midfield than your regular passing/tackling run of the mill player hence AVB got rid of Parker, Hudd, Livermore etc.
    I haven't seen someone in a Tottenham shirt in central midfield glide pass players so effortlessly since the Gazza days. He doesn't shoot enough but hopefully AVB will encourage him more now that he can leave the defensive duties to Sandro/Paulinho/Capoue. I know we have a lot of exciting new players coming in but to question Dembeles qualities is madness IMO.

Lads this thread is nuts. When Dembele was partnered with Sandro last season we had what was regarded as the strongest midfield duo in the league. He destroyed the Man Utd midfield both in the game he played for us and in the game he played for Fulham v Man Utd just before we signed him. He adds so much more to our midfield than your regular passing/tackling run of the mill player hence AVB got rid of Parker, Hudd, Livermore etc.
    I haven't seen someone in a Tottenham shirt in central midfield glide pass players so effortlessly since the Gazza days. He doesn't shoot enough but hopefully AVB will encourage him more now that he can leave the defensive duties to Sandro/Paulinho/Capoue. I know we have a lot of exciting new players coming in but to question Dembeles qualities is madness IMO.

Maybe I am nuts, but not as nuts as even considering comparing him to Gazza. He's an attacking midfielder and look at his assists and goal scoring record. When everyone is fit, I think he'll play second fiddle behind sandro, paulinho, capoue and Erikkssiin.

If he goes and has a cracking season and gets double figures in goals and proves me wrong, I'll be only too happy to hold my hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Maybe I am nuts, but not as nuts as even considering comparing him to Gazza. He's an attacking midfielder and look at his assists and goal scoring record. When everyone is fit, I think he'll play second fiddle behind sandro, paulinho, capoue and Erikkssiin.

If he goes and has a cracking season and gets double figures in goals and proves me wrong, I'll be only too happy to hold my hands up.

Not even close to Gazza.
    But you must get my point about the way he can dribble past players from the midfield by using his upper body strength. Last season his stats were not that impressive i agree but then again our attacking play consisted of getting the ball to Bale and let him do the rest. Dembele did get some impressive important goals for us though - Norwich, Inter spring to mind.
    Way too early to write him off in favour of players who have barely (or in Erickssons case never) kicked a ball for Spurs.

Not even close to Gazza.
    But you must get my point about the way he can dribble past players from the midfield by using his upper body strength. Last season his stats were not that impressive i agree but then again our attacking play consisted of getting the ball to Bale and let him do the rest. Dembele did get some impressive important goals for us though - Norwich, Inter spring to mind.
    Way too early to write him off in favour of players who have barely (or in Erickssons case never) kicked a ball for Spurs.

He did well last season, but not as good as I expected. Yes he dribbles well and can go past people, but it's all well and good doing that on the half way line, it's in the final 3rd where we want him doing it where it will result in goals or at least chances. I'm not writing him off, I'm simply saying I expect a lot more from him, and I'd imagine the manager is saying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

He was excellent last season with Sandro, I think def mid is his best position, for me he doesn't do enough in attack to play that role behind the striker.

• Advertisement

Had a fine game today

Mousa Dembele – 8 – Could the Mousa Dembele that we signed from Fulham be making a spectacular return? Vintage stuff from Dembele who put in a shift that finally did himself and his play justice! Was his usual strong self, but also looked to move the ball forward quickly when in possession. His complete performance can be summed up with his passing accuracy rate of 89%, whilst he won 100% of his aerial duels.

Mousa Dembele – 8 – Could the Mousa Dembele that we signed from Fulham be making a spectacular return? Vintage stuff from Dembele who put in a shift that finally did himself and his play justice! Was his usual strong self, but also looked to move the ball forward quickly when in possession. His complete performance can be summed up with his passing accuracy rate of 89%, whilst he won 100% of his aerial duels.

:D 8 bit generous, did ok, nothing spectacular

:D 8 bit generous, did ok, nothing spectacular

Dude can't catch a break!:D

Dude can't catch a break!:D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Played in his best postion and had a much better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

quality player IMO

still struggling for me, if ever we needed a performance from him, it's tomorrow

still struggling for me, if ever we needed a performance from him, it's tomorrow

He prob won't start

• Advertisement

I'd like to see him start in an advanced position but as you said, unlikely to start after starting on Thursday. Sandro and Paulinho likely to get the shout. Paulinho needs to deliver!

Advertisement