Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to win the replay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

That should really help the game flow alright, a game will take three hours to play. There was no doubt it was wide so absolutely no reason to hold the game up. Its the GAA and an AI final everything is disputed.

So how many other scores were disputed on Sunday......none I believe so the one time it could have been used would have extended the game by 30 secs??

Sure nothing like a minor exageration to make a point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Cork will never be as bad again and Clare will never be as good again.

Clare missed the boat , my money is on the rebels.

Anyone who says that knows nothing about this group of Clare Players. They have been playing like this for years. Under 21 All Ireland Last Year vs Kilkenny. Munster Final this year easily beating a Tipp team who hammered Cork.

Sundays display was no flash in the pan - That is how good they are.

They are a better team than Cork - They had created something like 30 scoring chances to Corks 21.

Cork had a real chance to nick it and they lost it. I'd put the house on Clare wining the replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

BnB wrote: »
    Anyone who says that knows nothing about this group of Clare Players. They have been playing like this for years. Under 21 All Ireland Last Year vs Kilkenny. Munster Final this year easily beating a Tipp team who hammered Cork.

Sundays display was no flash in the pan - That is how good they are.

They are a better team than Cork - They had created something like 30 scoring chances to Corks 21.

Cork had a real chance to nick it and they lost it. I'd put the house on Clare wining the replay.

I think you are getting your competitions mixed up. Clare have one nothing at senior, Cork also beat them well in the championship this year, not sure how you think that makes Clare better.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

relaxed wrote: »
    I think you are getting your competitions mixed up. Clare have one nothing at senior, Cork also beat them well in the championship this year, not sure how you think that makes Clare better.
    and Clare relegated Cork earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

i fancy cork for the replay.. they have more scope for improvement.. Clare were excellent any yet did not win I think that will play on their minds a bit.. going to be a cracker again.. cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

0028673 wrote: »
    i fancy cork for the replay.. they have more scope for improvement.. Clare were excellent any yet did not win I think that will play on their minds a bit.. going to be a cracker again.. cant wait

The thing is, Clare weren't excellent. Yes overall they played better than Cork but by no means did they reach their peak. The goals they conceded were poor from a defensive POV.
    The likes of McGrath, Honan, Galvin even Kelly (despite 3 pts) were nowhere near their peak.

I think Cork tried to isolate O Donovan, a lot of ball went into his corner early on, maybe they saw him as a weak link esp with the form David Mac has been in.

People are simply assuming Cork will be better the next day, maybe they'll hit the highs their forwards did in the 1st half V Dublin, then again maybe they'll be forced to live off scraps.

After Clare's win over Limerick, some argued that Clare would lose the final as V Limerick they scored nearly everything they created and such an occurance wouldn't happen in the final.

What happened in the drawn game may have no bearing on the replay.
    If Clare can force Nash into long puck-outs again, their HB line has a great chance of setting up a good platform. I think if Cork's HF line aren't going to win clean ball in the air they should break it back and have their midfielders alert and ready to pounce on the breaks.

Cork def need a better puck out strategy the next day. I really think JBM missed a trick with the positioning of Cronin, Dillon was following Horgan, Cronin should have been put in on David Mac and pump high ball in, MacInerneny isn't as safe in the air as Dillon imo.

From a Clare POV I'd like to see Cathal Mac start instead of Honan, an excellent finisher, really good off the ball movement and he and McGrath work so well together, one usually knows exactly what the other is going to do.

The extra weeks for Brian Murphy should be hugely beneficial for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Davy needs to decide if he's going to actually put high balls into Honan or not.
    If not, then perhaps Cathal McInerney could be a better option, with Honan to come on if we need a goal

I'd start Honan myself, and hit the opdd ball into him to see if we could work a goal in the replay. If we could get even one past Nash it would give us a huge lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The extra weeks for Brian Murphy should be hugely beneficial for Cork.

Playing a full match might bring on John Conlon as well, his season has been fairly stop-start so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Its Still Clare for me.

Better team, better players and the mentality is phenomenal. JBM has worked miracles with an below average Cork panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Really hope Clare win but I just hope they didn't leave it behind them the last day.

They will need to find a goal or two from somewhere.

But you'd have to say Cork have the greater scope for improvement. They somehow managed a draw the last day without really playing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Really hope Clare win but I just hope they didn't leave it behind them the last day.

They will need to find a goal or two from somewhere.

But you'd have to say Cork have the greater scope for improvement. They somehow managed a draw the last day without really playing at all.

I don't think that it was they did not play well, I think that is close to the limit of their abilities, Clare for me are a superior team in every facet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I don't think that it was they did not play well, I think that is close to the limit of their abilities, Clare for me are a superior team in every facet.

Replay will tell if Clare are a superior or not. We didnt see Cork last day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Amprodude wrote: »
    Replay will tell if Clare are a superior or not. We didnt see Cork last day out.

What makes you think we'll see them the next day out?

Hard mode: Don't use the words 'history' or 'tradition'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Playing a full match might bring on John Conlon as well, his season has been fairly stop-start so far

Why was he taken of last day? He was playing well, and had scored two points.
    Conlon on half a leg, and one hand is a better bet than Fergal Lynch, any day of the week.

What makes you think we'll see them the next day out?

Hard mode: Don't use the words 'history' or 'tradition'

Is it Corks 30 All Irelands to Clares 3 thats bothering you Clareboy? Is that why we cant mention tradition or history?

The first All Ireland Final game of 2013 is now "history". New game on Saturday 28th. Dont take the Rebels for granted or you may be in for a nasty surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Like in a 1 to 15 every facet kinda way? Number 1: Anthony Nash...

Oh we have to stop already? That's a bit awkward.

thefloss wrote: »
    Like in a 1 to 15 every facet kinda way? Number 1: Anthony Nash...

Oh we have to stop already? That's a bit awkward.

I imagine he meant it in a "there's no i in team" kind of way.
    Nash is actually one of the few Cork players who would even get on the Clare team.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Nash is actually one of the few Cork players who would even get on the Clare team.

:pac:

Ah you're great for the entertainment brilliantboy I'll give you that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

Sure we'll go up to the match anyway to admire the Clare stars . It's just as well that Nash is one of the few players good enough for your team, as otherwise we'd struggle to keep the ball pucked out to ye. With all the Clare arrogance and unbridled confidence about the outcome of the replay, which you think is in the bag anyway, I can't understand all the whinging from the Clare fans about the referee in the drawn game. Sure aren't you going to hammer us in the replay anyway, and is it just the cost of having to go back to Dublin to see Clare collect the cup has ye so upset?

Clare have the All Ireland won it seems. Cork shouldnt bother turning up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

You really do talk an uncontrolable amount of scutter :D If you actually believe what you posted those it not make Davy one of the worst managers in the history of the GAA that he couldnt beat such a clearly inferior team as Cork??

An amazing amount of insecurity from some of the Cork fans here
    This Clare team have been better hurlers than their Cork equivalents at every level and know nothing but winning.
    But suddenly it's blasphemous to suggest that Clare are the better team?
    Cork's amazing history and 30 AI wins won't matter a bit next Saturday (unless JBM himself is planning to tog out)
    I personally think it will be a really close game with one team pulling away in the last 5-10 minutes,
    but if I had to put money on one team to win convincingly I'd put it on Clare, and I'm sure many neutrals would take the same view.

As for Cork players that would make the Clare team, there's 4 or 5 I'd take, no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

An amazing amount of insecurity from some of the Cork fans here
    This Clare team have been better hurlers than their Cork equivalents at every level and know nothing but winning.
    But suddenly it's blasphemous to suggest that Clare are the better team?
    Cork's amazing history and 30 AI wins won't matter a bit next Saturday (unless JBM himself is planning to tog out)
    I personally think it will be a really close game with one team pulling away in the last 5-10 minutes,
    but if I had to put money on one team to win convincingly I'd put it on Clare, and I'm sure many neutrals would take the same view.

As for Cork players that would make the Clare team, there's 4 or 5 I'd take, no more.

Lets completely gloss over the fact that Cork pasted Clare in Munster this year.

How many Clare players would get on the Cork team?

Lets completely gloss over the fact that Cork pasted Clare in Munster this year.

Yeah sure some Clare fans think that game never happened. Played Cork twice in championship this year with 0 wins. Yes Clare are completely superior.

If that's what you call a pasting you could well be in for a rude surprise next weekend.
    And I suppose we're also ignoring the league while we're at it?
    The relegation playoff was a particularly interesting one, Clare put up a massive number of wides that day, they've been much more economical as the year has gone on. That's been Clare's problem, putting teams away. If they find a solution it could be an awesome spectacle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Davy needs to decide if he's going to actually put high balls into Honan or not.
    If not, then perhaps Cathal McInerney could be a better option, with Honan to come on if we need a goal

I'd start Honan myself, and hit the opdd ball into him to see if we could work a goal in the replay. If we could get even one past Nash it would give us a huge lift.

Pointless hitting high ball into Honan unless the ball is dropping in front of him and he can attack it. If its a high 50/50 ball he's unlikely to win it.

I'd start MacInerney myself, put in Honan for the last quarter.

If that's what you call a pasting you could well be in for a rude surprise next weekend.
    And I suppose we're also ignoring the league while we're at it?
    The relegation playoff was a particularly interesting one, Clare put up a massive number of wides that day, they've been much more economical as the year has gone on. That's been Clare's problem, putting teams away. If they find a solution it could be an awesome spectacle :)

I suppose league form is the same as championship? I do think Clare have more to worry about next day out than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Amprodude wrote: »
    I suppose league form is the same as championship? I do think Clare have more to worry about next day out than Cork.

I don't think they will worry too much. They just seem to love playing hurling. A lot of them boys are delighted to have another massive day out.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't think they will worry too much. They just seem to love playing hurling. A lot of them boys are delighted to have another massive day out.

Cork love hurling too..

Advertisement