Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to win the replay?

Options
  • 09-09-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

We have to do it all again in three weeks
    My nerves are shot I'm still not recovered from yesterday's game
    At least the next day I can fully justify forking out €20 for the two girls :)
    So who is going to bring Liam home?
    And why?
    I'm sticking with Clare Fitz changed their game yesterday and Cork found it hard to cope (barring injuries on Saturday) I reckon they can finish it the next day :)

Who will win the SHC final replay 97 votes

Cork
    0% 0 votes
    Clare
    38% 37 votes
    Draw (again)
    61% 60 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Cork will never be as bad again and Clare will never be as good again.

Clare missed the boat , my money is on the rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Under 21 game will have a huge mental effect on Clare's preparations. Many well see yesterdays as Clare's chance to win it. Better team throughout the game.
    Look at last years final, it was there for Galway, they didn't win it on the day and lost the replay.
    Cork will get great heart from that and will be hungry.

Wouldn't like to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Clare will win.

I thought before yesterday that they were clearly a better team than Cork and nothing I saw yesterday would make me feel I need to revise that opinion.

They will tighten up the full back line the next day by using the sweeper at times I expect and should have enough to win once Cork don't have the outlet of goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Cork will never be as bad again and Clare will never be as good again.

Clare missed the boat , my money is on the rebels.

You haven't even begun to see what this Clare team is capable of :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Agree, Galway missed their chance last year but Cork are no Kilkenny.

I bet Cork won't score 3 goals the next day, I still think Clare will do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Under 21 game will have a huge mental effect on Clare's preparations. Many well see yesterdays as Clare's chance to win it. Better team throughout the game.
    Look at last years final, it was there for Galway, they didn't win it on the day and lost the replay.
    Cork will get great heart from that and will be hungry.

Wouldn't like to call it.

The next week would have just been a low-fi rest week anyways, especially with a three week window to replay. Barring injuries to the U21s that feature on the senior team it's a boon to those players to have a game to play next week. Nothing better for getting rid of nervous energy than a game.

Anyone who thinks it's going to negatively effect Clare is severely over-stating the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Syferus wrote: »
    The next week would have just been a low-fi rest week anyways, especially with a three week window to replay. Barring injuries to the U21s that feature on the senior team it's a boon to those players to have a game to play next week. Nothing better for getting rid of nervous energy than a game.

Anyone who thinks it's going to negatively effect Clare is severely over-stating the situation.

Agreed. U21 game is not much of a factor.

In all probability Clare will be at least 7 or 8 points ahead at half time and can start taking off the senior starters 10 minutes in to the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,361 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the U21 match is gonna be a real advantage to the Clare team especially if they win (and they're strong favourites)

3 weeks is a long wait for the replay and a game to focus on inbetween and will do us no harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Another draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Clare. Yesterday showed that they have nothing to fear from Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pudders wrote: »

conceded three goals against an underperforming cork team? probably something to fear there alone!

Clare will be favourites but replays often turnout completely different games. I would think clare will start 15 on 15 and maybe revert to sweeper if they grab a lead.

Cork were off the pace yesterday with touch and winning the breaking ball. i think we'll see some personnel changes with coughlan making way and maybe a couple of other changes.

any word if paudie o sullivan might make it? he'll certainly make a difference in terms of ball winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

clare will win by about 3/4 points , how cork drew yesterdays game is beyond me but then again they got 3 great goals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭lukin

Pudders wrote: »

I don't think they thought they had anything to fear from Cork beforehand. Most of them have U-21 AI winners medals (some are going for their second one next weekend). Cork by contrast (apart from Shane O Neill and Brian Murphy's senior medals) do not have a single AI medal between them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As it turned out both sides were probably relieved to get the draw at the end, so there is probably not much of a psychological advantage to either team on that front.

Cork will certainly be better the next day but they have to be worried about the half forward line, they will need an huge improvement there to win the next day.

Likewise Clare definitely need to improve in the full back line, I actually don't think you could attach to much blame to the goals from play (although perhaps the could have closed down Cronin a bit quicker) but there were far too many frees conceded in and around the 20.

I definitely disagree with the assertions that Clare can't play any better than that, apart from the defending they were also quite wasteful at times, and definately need to try to get get a bigger scoring contributions from Honan, and McGrath (who had an excellent game yesterday again, but a player of his calibre could easily be looking at scoring returns of 0-4/0-5 from play with the right ball supply). While they win a lot of possession (and frees), when they get on the ball they are often too wide and far out the field for my liking, and as a result don't have the option to pop a handy point over the bar which may be on if they were playing closer to goal.

The U21 could be a good tonic next weekend and presents a great opportunity to get yesterday out of the system.

All Irelands don't come around often for a county like us so there shouldn't be any complacency on Saturday especially after what happened to Wexford. If we can get out of Thurles with an U21 title and no injuries it would be a nice boost to all 14 players involved.

I still very hopeful we can do the business on the 28th, but I am expecting a fierce response from Cork, at least the same level of performance and possibly better again will be needed to bring Liam back across the Shannon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hoping Clare can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Fancy Cork to win the replay myself, how they scored 3-16 off scraps was impressive initself, Brian Murphy will have another three weeks under he's belt which will be a massive benefit - I have no doubt if he had been fully fit yesterday he would have been put back on Podge and curbed he's influence - also Conor Ryan was immense yesterday, there is no way he will be able or allowed to have that kind of affect on the replay.

All that said if Cork are to win they will need their half forward line in particular to seriously up their performance and Nash will need to be a bit more selective and clever with he's use of the puck out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Fancy Cork to win the replay myself, how they scored 3-16 off scraps was impressive initself, Brian Murphy will have another three weeks under he's belt which will be a massive benefit - I have no doubt if he had been fully fit yesterday he would have been put back on Podge and curbed he's influence - also Conor Ryan was immense yesterday, there is no way he will be able or allowed to have that kind of affect on the replay.

All that said if Cork are to win they will need their half forward line in particular to seriously up their performance and Nash will need to be a bit more selective and clever with he's use of the puck out.

Cork, Limerick and Galway all lived off scraps and didnt perform or so the story goes. There has only been one thing in common with all 3 games. I dont think Cork will get any more the scraps on the 28th either, its the way clare have been playing all year putting huge pressure on the man in possesion and the half back line has been very solid all year. I genuinely think that Clare are the better team and I cant see them losing the replay. In fairness to Nash he didnt have much of an option with the puckouts from what I saw yesterday apart from bombing it down the field. There's no doubt that big improvements can be made on both sides. Was a bit disappointed with the performance of Mcgrath even though he got 2 points and Honan seemed off the pace altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Cork! I really think they can play much better....and I personally didn't think Clare were fantastic...

Cork, Limerick and Galway all lived off scraps and didnt perform or so the story goes. There has only been one thing in common with all 3 games. I dont think Cork will get any more the scraps on the 28th either, its the way clare have been playing all year putting huge pressure on the man in possesion and the half back line has been very solid all year. I genuinely think that Clare are the better team and I cant see them losing the replay. In fairness to Nash he didnt have much of an option with the puckouts from what I saw yesterday apart from bombing it down the field. There's no doubt that big improvements can be made on both sides. Was a bit disappointed with the performance of Mcgrath even though he got 2 points and Honan seemed off the pace altogether.

Thats as much as McGrath has been doing all year though, I think Clares gameplan has resulted in McGrath having to sacrifice he's own natural game, he could be seen in the half back line at times and yesterday was probably one of he's better games this year. Honan can do better granted, but he was left very isolated at times and he's major contributions actually came when he was forced to come deep himself, its the downside to the intense pressure game Calre are playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Thats as much as McGrath has been doing all year though, I think Clares gameplan has resulted in McGrath having to sacrifice he's own natural game, he could be seen in the half back line at times and yesterday was probably one of he's better games this year. Honan can do better granted, but he was left very isolated at times and he's major contributions actually came when he was forced to come deep himself, its the downside to the intense pressure game Calre are playing.

It was one of Mcgraths better games yesterday alright but he still ran into a few dead ends when maybe he could have offloaded to a man in a better position and he had one awful wide in the last 10 minutes. I didnt think Honan made any sort of a major contribution to be honest. I think theres a case for starting Cathal Mc instead of him the next day, hes small but very lively and might make better use of the space when the rest of the Clare forwards play deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Cork I think, they have almost 3 weeks to sort out something that will stop Clare hb line winning every puckout. Clare just don't have a goal threat. I reckon Cork will win replay easily enough in a poor enough follow up to a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Cork scored with practically every chance they had so that wont happen again. Clare to improve and win cosily

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Zentoad

Unfortunately I agree with you. Murphy generally played second fiddle to Kelly, but he is coming back after a serious injury. I reckon he will be better after 3 more weeks preparation. So will the rest of the Cork team.
    Clare will not stand still either though.

Personally I wish Seadna Morey had been brought on. I don't see Fergal Lynch and Nicky O'Connell being impact subs. They have not been all year.

Cork will not send the ball on top of the Clare half back line like they did on Sunday, and they will also be aware of how Clare were breaking the ball in the Cork half back line so advantage Cork on that score.
    However, I believe that there are goals in the Clare team. I can see them attacking the Cork full back line a lot more next time. On Sunday I don't recall them getting one 21 yard free near the goal, Expect Tony Kelly to get extra practice taking penalties over the next few weeks.

Was Hawkeye working on Sunday? I recall a point just before half time that Conor McGrath was sure he scored. Despite Conors pleading, the ref was having none of it. It wouldn't have taken too much to check. What a stinker he had.

Anyway, win or lose, both teams have made great strides to be in contention for the AI over the next 7 or 8 years. While many rightfully identify that Clare have a young team, (11 of the Clare team are 25 or younger) what I don't hear from the media is how young the Cork team is. 10 of the Cork team are also 25 or younger. There really isn't that much between the teams on number of levels except....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Clare were by far the better team - Scored 25 points - Had 4 or 5 bad wides that you would expect them to score plus 2 good goal chances. Its BS to take it for granted that Cork "will improve". It's not that they played poorly - They weren't let hurl.

Cork only had 3 wides on top of their 19 scores and only one of them was a real scoring opportunity (Missed free)

If Clare were to get through for a goal or two I think they could win easily. But I wouldn't count on them scoring goals because Nash is just unreal. I do think they'll hit 20+ scores again and I can't see them letting Cork through for 3 goals again the next day.

So Clare...

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

Zentoad wrote: »

Was Hawkeye working on Sunday? I recall a point just before half time that Conor McGrath was sure he scored. Despite Conors pleading, the ref was having none of it. It wouldn't have taken too much to check. What a stinker he had.

Excellent point. Two Clare players asked him to use it and he failed to do so. Whatever about the other poor decisions he had to make in a split second, having the technology and not using it is unforgivable.

caddy16 wrote: »
    Excellent point. Two Clare players asked him to use it and he failed to do so. Whatever about the other poor decisions he had to make in a split second, having the technology and not using it is unforgivable.

tbf the incident in question was a couple of feet wide it wasn't even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

tbf the incident in question was a couple of feet wide it wasn't even close.

Irrelevant, if it's disputed surely it should be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

cork have more scope for improvement and for clare a team never repeats such performances. its going to be a close run thing again but i think cork will scrape over the line in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

slingerz wrote: »
    cork have more scope for improvement and for clare a team never repeats such performances. its going to be a close run thing again but i think cork will scrape over the line in this one

Clare were quiet adverage in the first though it must be said, they have plenty of room for improvement there.

• Advertisement

caddy16 wrote: »
    Irrelevant, if it's disputed surely it should be checked.

That should really help the game flow alright, a game will take three hours to play. There was no doubt it was wide so absolutely no reason to hold the game up. Its the GAA and an AI final everything is disputed.

Advertisement