Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest All-Ireland Hurling Final Ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

It was a funny All Ireland. I though Clare had Cork well beaten and then we get goals out of nothing. Cork to come back stronger in replay, If its good enough we wait and see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Here we go again, hurling greatest sport in the world blah blah bloody blah

It is the best. By a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

[-0-] wrote: »
    It is the best. By a country mile.

In your opinion. How can you be so unequivocal? Is there a world rankings table for sporting disciplines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

No, Horse. However, there is such thing as personal opinion. In the above poster's, and mine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

In your opinion. How can you be so unequivocal? Is there a world rankings table for sporting disciplines?

Well it's hardly my dogs opinion now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

eire 2012 wrote: »
    Today's final not even in the top 50 I'd say yes it was exciting but cork played like a junior b team today at times they are better than this.The 09 final best ever I would say both teams full strength amazing spectacle,tipp should have won but the cats dug it out

And Limerick were terrible in the semi-final.
    And Galway before that didn't even show up

I'm beginning to see a trend here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Yep. The massive work rate of Clare in the middle third can make teams look very poor.
    But having said that, there is no excuse for allowing their half back line catch as much clean ball as they did today, whatever about winning it on the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Not a patch on the 2010-2011 KK/Tipp finals.

Great finish and drama at the end but was just a really good game of hurling to watch.

Clare left it behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

Clare performed everyday they went out and should have won by 10 points yesterday but cork were abysmal in first half only the handy frees kept them in touch and almost cost Clare the title late on,it's not the refs job to keep games close and this crap has to be cut out of the gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

eire 2012 wrote: »
    Clare performed everyday they went out and should have won by 10 points yesterday but cork were abysmal in first half only the handy frees kept them in touch and almost cost Clare the title late on,it's not the refs job to keep games close and this crap has to be cut out of the gaa

I agree that Cork got some soft frees in the first half. At least for 2 points. But the major factor in Cork getting a draw was:

Poor defending from Clare. Every time Cork ran at them, they created a goal chance or were brought down by Clare. None of the penalties or 21 yards frees were disputed and Cork could argue one of the 21's should have been retaken.

Clare's inability to create a goal chance. You need to get goals to hammer home your dominance when on top. If Kilkenny in their prime dominated a half as much as Clare did in the first half, it would have been game over at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    No, and the true result denied by the Ref playing on for the draw leaves it tainted in my eyes.

And I was a completely neutral onlooker btw.

That was time allowed for Nash to get to the 14yard line when he takes a 21!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Definitly the strangest alright but no it wasn't anywhere near the best, Cork were very poor for the majority of the game and the first ten minutes of both halves was scrappy.

2009 and 2010 were different gravy tbh and despite the fact I am a Tipp man I actually would say the 2009 game was probably the best I have ever seen nevre mind the best AI.

I am a bit amused and perplexed by the mentioning of last years game aswell, again no where near the standard of 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

I am a bit amazed that no one has thought that last years drawn game was fantastic. I thought that the 2010 final wasn't that great. Tipp were on top the whole match and noting really got going for the Cats. I would agree that the 09 final was up there with the greatest. That was two teams at the peak of there powers in a match that could of gone either way.

While I think about it ,each final in recent memory was unique in different ways to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frank.Dublin

2009 was the best i can remember
    this years was great, i'd put it in the top 10
    i think the standard of hurling has taken a quantum leap since clare won the all-ireland in 95
    the game is being played at a much higher level nowadays in terms of skill, fitness, speed etc.
    i love hurling but wouldn't rate it as the best sport in the world, there just aren't enough people playing it compared to say soccer or basketball, is there anyone playing hurling today that you would put in the top ten sportspeople in the world? if you want to see the best sportspeople in action you have to watch soccer
    i felt sorry for the ref yesterday, he couldn't keep up with the play, there should be at least two referees in hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

2010 final is overrated IMHO.

2009 the greatest I've seen followed by 1997 and 1990 I'd say.

Yesterday's was superb entertainment but the standard was not great particularly in a scrappy first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

For 50mins it was tame old affair but got exciting in the last 20 mins so no the quality was not there or the intensity on the matter, don't understand the reffs critisim he was fairly decent bar one or 2little mistakes he was fair 2 the 2teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Don't confuse an exciting finish with a great game.....It may have been one of the most exciting ends to a final, but not near one of the best finals ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

bo-sco wrote: »
    2010 final is overrated IMHO.

2009 the greatest I've seen followed by 1997 and 1990 I'd say.

Yesterday's was superb entertainment but the standard was not great particularly in a scrappy first half.

Agree with this, i was at the 2010 final and it is was no classic. The 2009 final is the best i can remember - that was hell for leather.

So how would people rate the replay? Congratulations to Clare!

deadybai wrote: »
    So how would people rate the replay? Congratulations to Clare!

Quite simply extraordinary. Will we ever see the likes again entertainment wise?

• Advertisement

Quite simply extraordinary. Will we ever see the likes again entertainment wise?

Yep I think it was one of the better finals. although sometimes the skill was below par. But like the first game for pure entertainment it was 10/10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

deadybai wrote: »
    Yep I think it was one of the better finals. although sometimes the skill was below par. But like the first game for pure entertainment it was 10/10.

The first touch of some players was bad a couple of times as well as some wides. But you must realise the intense pressure players were under once they got near a ball. There was very little room to move and very difficult to make that extra yard. Give me another 70 mins of it anytime compered to some of the Kilkenny Tipperary "classics" .
    Clare have fierce potential in that team although I can't understand where the St. JosephsBearefield/Clarecastle/Sixmilebridge clubs have gone as regards providing county players.
    Any Clare people to enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The first touch of some players was bad a couple of times as well as some wides. But you must realise the intense pressure players were under once they got near a ball. There was very little room to move and very difficult to make that extra yard. Give me another 70 mins of it anytime compered to some of the Kilkenny Tipperary "classics" .
    Clare have fierce potential in that team although I can't understand where the St. JosephsBearefield/Clarecastle/Sixmilebridge clubs have gone as regards providing county players.
    Any Clare people to enlighten me?

Extraordinary entertainment! Well done both sides.
    Re your question, d'brudder lives down in West Clare and he has remarked a few times that the football sides of some of those clubs , Doora Barefield in particular have gotten a lot stronger in recent years. He reckoned hurling was getting pushed out around that general Ennis area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Today was about the best final I can remember anyway, great stuff I was glued to it.
    Well done Clare, I was happy with the result too.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Was a great, entertaining game today and a 'great advert' for hurling, as many have pointed out.

The hurling 'fraternity' are already well on the way to annoying everybody and taking the good out of it, though, with their 'it's the greatest game in the world'/trying to denigrate other sports sh*te; this was very much in evidence on the 'Saturday Game' tonight.

It always just smacks of 'doth protest too much'.

Let all those who saw it come to that conclusion for themselves and renounce all other sports as inferior, if they wish to.

Or just accept that the majority of sports fans can appreciate a great game in various sports as much as they do a great hurling match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Same sh*t every year.

Oh greatest final ever!
    Riproaring final
    Pulsating final
    Epic final

Bla bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Maybe they were just referring to the total load of overhyped crap that followed it this evening when Munster beat a glorified pub team 'The Dragons'
    To be honest it was marginally better than watching paint dry, and i'm saying this as a keen follower of all sports.
    Congrats to both teams on an absolute epic today in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

2009 final was the best ever IMO. As a neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Same sh*t every year.

Oh greatest final ever!
    Riproaring final
    Pulsating final
    Epic final

Bla bla bla

Football fan?

Two teams who battled hard until the end, 140+ mins, a deserved win. The images of lifting Liam for the Clare players, with Michael D. cheering in the background will live a lot longer than seeing Diarmuid Connolly with a medal. A high scoring game will always remain longer in the memory too.!

• Advertisement

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Same sh*t every year.

Oh greatest final ever!
    Riproaring final
    Pulsating final
    Epic final

Bla bla bla

Did you actually watch the game?

8-32 scored in total??? It isnt an over used clique, the game was actually that good

Advertisement