Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest All-Ireland Hurling Final Ever?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

Wow! That is all I can say after watching today's game. It took my 2 hours to compose myself after what I have witnessed. (And I'm a Kilkenny Man!)
    Hurling is the greatest sport in the world and it makes me proud to be Irish.

Would you consider today's game as the greatest All-Ireland Hurling Final ever?
    I personally would consider last years drawn final as the greatest I've ever witnessed. The personal battle of dominance between Canning and Shefflin
    would top today's game for me but today's game is a close second.

So what is ye're opinions lads and lasses? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

UEFA would have that investigated for match fixing! Turkish football you are forgiven

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The most exciting final its up there.

Not the best final from a technique and skill point of view(more Cork than Clare in this regard)

deadybai wrote: »
    Wow! That is all I can say after watching today's game. It took my 2 hours to compose myself after what I have witnessed. (And I'm a Kilkenny Man!)

I personally would consider last years drawn final as the greatest I've ever witnessed. The personal battle of dominance between Canning and Shefflin

In my living memory i would say the Tipperary v Kilkenny finals from both 09 and 10 are #1 and #2 in no particular order in terms of intensity and two teams hurling at the optimum level vying tooth and nail to win, but then again im a Tipp man from the Kilkenny border so given the personal interest i had in those games and the jangling nerves and palpitations i suffered watching both then I could understand how a neutral could feel different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

No, and the true result denied by the Ref playing on for the draw leaves it tainted in my eyes.

And I was a completely neutral onlooker btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

In my living memory i would say the Tipperary v Kilkenny finals from both 09 and 10 are #1 and #2 in no particular order in terms of intensity and two teams hurling at the optimum level vying tooth and nail to win, but then again im a Tipp man from the Kilkenny border so given the personal interest i had in those games and the jangling nerves and palpitations i suffered watching both then I could understand how a neutral could feel different

I went to the game in 2010. I wouldn't rank it up there at all because Tipp completed dominated that game and Shefflin had to go off. I know it sounds biased as I'm from Kilkenny. I would say though the 2010 final was probably one of the best performances by an individual team in the final. The 09 final was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

Today's final not even in the top 50 I'd say yes it was exciting but cork played like a junior b team today at times they are better than this.The 09 final best ever I would say both teams full strength amazing spectacle,tipp should have won but the cats dug it out

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    No, and the true result denied by the Ref playing on for the draw leaves it tainted in my eyes.

Did you not think there was an added few seconds because the the ball was out of play for around 30 seconds at 71:30?

The ref was very poor today. But there was a lot of questionable decisions that favored Cork today also. I would say a draw was the fair result. I just cannot wait for the Replay on the 28th. :p

So what would you consider the greatest final?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Did you not think there was an added few seconds because the the ball was out of play for around 30 seconds at 71:30?

The ref was very poor today. But there was a lot of questionable decisions that favored Cork today also. I would say a draw was the fair result. I just cannot wait for the Replay on the 28th. :p

So what would you consider the greatest final?

1990 Cork V Galway. Significant performances from the likes of Tomas Mulcahy,Goose Hennessy and Mark Foley.Joe Cooney,Eanna Ryan and Lynskey for Westerners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I do think Gavin played for the draw tbh. Usually when the allotted time is up and the ball is dead, a player needs to win it cleanly from the puck out for play to continue, that didn't happen today.

That said, I can't wait to go back and watch another 70 mins of that again and wouldn't get too wound up about the extra 30 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No and no where near it tbh. Fairly poor displays on show with lots of players not showing up. I thought Clare deserved it but sure Gavin robbed Cork in the end.

It was fairly exciting but from a skill point of view it was poor and one of the worst I've seen in a few years.

• Advertisement

No and no where near it tbh. Fairly poor displays on show with lots of players not showing up. I thought Clare deserved it but sure Gavin robbed Cork in the end.

It was fairly exciting but from a skill point of view it was poor and one of the worst I've seen in a few years.

What was the best final you have seen so?

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Mick Turner

No the 1997 game was the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Howjoe1 wrote: »

Ah now come clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Today had it all. It's my favourite final so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

2009/2010 for me.
    Todays game nowhere near it. Very exciting yes and a few great scores, but I thought Cork were very poor for most of the game, their forwards other than Harnedy and Horgan barely featured in the game at all. Clare no goal scoring threat whatsoever. The two chances they got were Cork mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

09/10 Finals are the best I have ever seen, from every perspective, skill, intensity and the standard of hurling. Todays was exciting and some of the fielding was the best I have seen in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What was the best final you have seen so?

Tipp v KK 09 or 10 were of far higher quality than what was on display today. If you think today was the greatest then you haven't seen a lot of finals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Joe Cooney Show.

I might be slightly biased and sentimental here !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gordon West

Yes, a draw was a fair result but this match again highlights two problems that the GAA have to tackle urgently.

1: Timekeeping. The official on the sideline should keep the time. Clock to be stopped when play stops for frees, injuries, and other incidents. This will be fair to all sides and cut out gamesmanship and time wasting.

2: Place of free kick or puck. The American Football guys have the right idea here. The ref throws a yellow cloth on the ground and the play resumes from there. This will stop guys stealing yards and improving angles for frees.

These two things would revolutionise our games for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Cork were poor for all but 15 minutes of the game today and I think for it to be considered the greatest final of all time both teams should have to play very well.Really enjoyable game but the 09 final was the best I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think the weather makes a lot of difference to the standard of a game. No surprise that this year has been the best in gaa history for both codes combined. Hopefully Mayo and Dublin will get a dry day. I was very impressed with the skills of the Clare players today. The touch of Podge Collins and Kelly was superb.

Tipp v KK 09 or 10 were of far higher quality than what was on display today. If you think today was the greatest then you haven't seen a lot of finals

I said last year was the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

In no particular order

Today was the greatest for drama without a doubt. Only the 1997 final was near it on that score.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just seen the replay and Kelly actually kept the ball in his hand while he got back into goal; but I suppose you wouldn't call that time wasting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

To say last year was a Canning/ Shefflin shootout is wrong imo, Canning didn't puck a ball in the second half of the drawn game from play.

2009 was the best finalI've ever been at, 2008 was satisfying due to the boll£$ acting by the Waterford backs in the first half.

2006 from a tension aspect was fairly cool too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

if the older people are to be believed it was the 'Thunder & Lightning' Final that was the best

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not the greatest final but still, it was a match that left me hoarse ( nothing new) but more importantly, emotionally drained. It takes a special game to do that - today was a special match. Had Cork played the way they could have ( far far better) and the result still finished a draw - I shudder to think how I would have felt!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Here we go again, hurling greatest sport in the world blah blah bloody blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Ah it is though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

No more of this please.

Advertisement