Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭neilaccountant

Wouldn't be so sure about that. As much as I would like to believe it myself

Yeah I doubt a 1.1 would guarantee an interview, you pretty need the whole package for these firms especially these days, that's why they factor in LC results

Too much competition for places to just get by on a 1.1

I wouldn't be stunned in a couple of years time to find out that they want your junior cert results as well :P even though that would be taking the biscuit altogether :P

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

cat_xx wrote: »
    I think this is really ridiculous! Leaving cert grades should not be a requirement for a job when someone has a degree!

When you think about it, they have to have some way to categorise the applications. They can't sit down and read every application.
    The LC is regarded as a good benchmark as it is level across the board.
    The results in certain colleges are much higher than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

cat_xx wrote: »
    I think this is really ridiculous! Leaving cert grades should not be a requirement for a job when someone has a degree!

Well, it's because they're looking for consistency, I think? When you think about, the LC is pretty gruelling, moreso in a way than college exams. You have nearly a full work week of classes, then need to organise studying a diverse range of subjects. To show this discipline at a young age is telling, I guess.

MLC61 wrote: »
    When you think about it, they have to have some way to categorise the applications. They can't sit down and read every application.
    The LC is regarded as a good benchmark as it is level across the board.
    The results in certain colleges are much higher than others.

Yeah but you can argue that they're not categorising the applications in a fair way.. I know they cant read every application because that's too timely

What the big 4 should do if that's case is instead of having on their sites "minimum requirement" 450 points and/or 2.1 but still allowing you to apply regardless, is to have like a block on their application system

so for example when filling in the online application and you typed in your LC points and individual results and clicked on the next section of the application, an X shows up or a pop up shows up on screen stating that "you cannot continue onto the next section of the application because you do not meet the minimum requirements" of 450 points or 2.1 etc

And for whatever reason or circumstance that you didnt meet the minimum requirements of 450 points or the 2.1.. Well that's just tough !!

Wouldn't that not be a more efficient and an effective online job application system ???

Instead of these firms letting students doing research on their firms, taking the time out to fill out these forms, wasting students time, possibly wasting recruiters time as well
    .. As if 4th year of college and juggling around a part time job and being involved in other activities wasn't time consuming enough as it is

I was encouraged to apply for the big 4 by my head of department, lecturers and friends even though they knew I didn't meet all minimum requirements, but if I thought my application would've went straight into the "rejected section" because I don't have 450 points I wouldn't have bothered applying then

These guys are supposed to be the best 4 accountancy practices in the world, the best of the best, but they don't come across like that with their nonsensical online application system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

You are assuming that you are rejected because you havent heard yet.
    Keep the faith.
    They categorise to stream I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Has anyone heard anything today from the Big 4 about attending an interview? If they did it might at least give some people the hope that the 1st round of the application process is on-going, not completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

I heard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Got a call today from E&Y about an interview and morning breakfast

both of my interview calls so far have been about audit/assurance which were my 2nd choice after consultancy/advisory, has anyone here got an interview in either of the latter?

MLC61 wrote: »
    You are assuming that you are rejected because you havent heard yet.
    Keep the faith.
    They categorise to stream I assume.

I didn't write that piece because I'm assuming I'm rejected, even if I got a few interviews and even job offers after that I still disagree with their job application system, my opinion wouldn't change, I didn't mean to ramble on that long though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I honestly don't think LC results are massively important. Yes they are a factor but not a massive one.
    I attended a good few info sessions given by firms and they all said that stated LC requirements were flexible but you must have a 2:1 degree.
    If you have a really good degree, all your exemptions and whatever other things going for you, I dont think your application will go in the bin just because you dont have an excellent Leaving Cert behind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

one thing i never understood about the lc requirement is that you can get into an acc course for in around the 300's, so surely its more of an attempt to turn of certain applications more so than a filter?

Does anyone know if anyone has gotten an interview with a 2.2? wonder what the circumstances were? life experiences and such?

jus_tin4 wrote: »

Does anyone know if anyone has gotten an interview with a 2.2? wonder what the circumstances were? life experiences and such?

A girl on the pg dip course I'm on now got a 2.2 and has got an interview with Mazars in Dublin. Not big 4, no, but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭scheister

still no interviews coming my way. if i dont get an job after 3 milkrounds i think it may be someone way of telling my accounting aint for me. I have heard of people under the LC points getting the offers but it appears they need to be the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ashtonl2

I applied for Advisory at PwC and was just wondering has anybody got called for interviews yet?. I sent in my application on the 16th of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

ashtonl2 wrote: »
    I applied for Advisory at PwC and was just wondering has anybody got called for interviews yet?. I sent in my application on the 16th of October.

Think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they got offered an interview for a consultancy (which I'm assuming is the same as advisory) position at PWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trooperdx31171

I got an interview for audit with PWC, KPMG and Mazars while on a 2.2 accounting degree. I assume I got the interview because I did a pretty decent leaving cert about 500 points and I worked 5 years in retail and 8 months in the corporate finance department of a fund management company.
    I was still really surprised to get offered the interviews so early in all honestly because it was constantly drilled into us at seminars that you MUST have a minimum of 2.1 in your degree. Still happy out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Just to be realistic id say my chances are slim,knew that applying, only have a 2.2 and no accounting experience but im not giving up!

currently doing tax and audit cap 2 through the elevation programe.

Congrats to everyone that got an offer!And good luck with the interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trooperdx31171

Just to be realistic id say my chances are slim,knew that applying, only have a 2.2 and no accounting experience but im not giving up!

currently doing tax and audit cap 2 through the elevation programe.

Congrats to everyone that got an offer!And good luck with the interviews!

I'd say don't rule out getting an offer unless you've specifically gotten a rejection yet!

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Theres a question the form asking you why you want to be an accountant. Not sure how to answer it?

Well, why DO you want to be an accountant? No one but you can answer that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Hey all,
    I applied to all the big 4 for consultancy/advisory also. Haven't heard anything positive or negative yet from any of them? Just wondering, someone said, they deal with all audit/assurance applications first, is this true from previous experience? I have decent results, decent enough cv and thought I filled the forms out decent enough, so surprised if I didnt get at least 1 interview, although I know it very competitive? Anyone got called forward for this area yet? thanks!

• Advertisement

This thread has quietened down a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Minji

This thread has quietened down a lot!

well, I guess they stop calling for interviews. Hopefully this thread is popular again when we progress with the interviews and share experience or announce job offers

Minji wrote: »
    well, I guess they stop calling for interviews.

Gawd, that's depressing!

Ok, have to admit, it's a tad disheartening for there to be such stony silence. I really want to get more than one interview. :-/

Right, I know some people mightn't want to do this to protect their anonymity etc. but here is my state of play...if we all do the same we might have an idea if we still are in with a chance:

KPMG - Consulting - PFO
    EY - Consulting - Interview
    Deloitte - Consulting - No word
    PwC - Consulting - No word

I'm still holding out hope for the last two until I get the PFOs.

Sureitsgrand, did you put any other preferences after consulting with KPMG?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Right, I know some people mightn't want to do this to protect their anonymity etc. but here is my state of play...if we all do the same we might have an idea if we still are in with a chance:

KPMG - Consulting - PFO
    EY - Consulting - Interview
    Deloitte - Consulting - No word
    PwC - Consulting - No word

I'm still holding out hope for the last two until I get the PFOs.

Similar to you:

KPMG - Consulting - interview in Audit
    EY - Consulting - Interview in Assurance
    Deloitte - Consulting - no word
    PWC - Consulting - No word

Sureitsgrand, did you put any other preferences after consulting with KPMG?

Nope!

Nope!

is it all you're interested in? :)

• Advertisement

Yeah.

I want to go the CIMA route rather than ACA and I also feel that I'm just better suited to consultancy (having done an internship where I got a taste of everything).

Advertisement