Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Kiltennel wrote: »
    Consulting is incredibly competitive. Few spots available and along with Corporate Finance / Transaction Services (Also very few spaces) they're seen as the "glamour" departments. KPMG for example are only taking 18 on for Consulting while they're looking for 140 (I think) in Audit.

Also, just spotted my typo in my post that you quoted. If I put that much care into a consulting application, I'd definitely have been a shoo-in. :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The silence re: inteviews has been deafening in my college group. The most interviews anyone has got is one, and many people have got none.

2.1 degrees and excellent LCs all round. Many have relevant work experience. It's strange.

Rather different in mine tbh, lots of people getting 1/2 interviews.

Has anyone done an EY interview? Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

AdamD wrote: »

Has anyone done an EY interview? Any tips?

This link covers it fairly well.
    http://www.mgrad.ie/interviews/ey-interview-questions

They use a strength-based interview rather than a competency-based interview like the others do.
    The differences are minimal, but essentially you want to talk about your strengths that align with what they're looking for.
    On the flip side of that, you will be asked about your weaknesses, so prepare good answers for that especially.

Here's the list of strengths they're looking for. (This came from their insight week).
    • Flexibility
    • Work Ethic
    • Learning Agility
    • Growth orientation
    • Credibility
    • Personal Responsibility
    • Analyst
    • Time Optimiser

The second interview is a more general chat with a partner.
    They'll only ask one strength/competency question at most, mainly focus on good answers for career goals, know your service line, what you'll be doing in it and why you want to work in that area.
    And obviously, why EY?

And given the budget was recent, you'll probably be asked about something you would have done differently.
    Most big 4 firms have released commentary/analysis of the budget so referencing any of their research in your answer would give you brownie points.

Best of luck with it!

Is KPMG the best of the big 4 for tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trooperdx31171

Anyone know anything about the Mazars recruitment process? I have an interview next week for consultancy but am living in the UK, so have had no opportunity to attend any of their events or talk to anyone about them. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey I just did an interview with Mazars today for auditing so im not sure how different it will be.

First when we came we were brought to a board room given a case study about general business knowledge. You had 15 minutes to prepare it and then you talked about it in the interview. It's not really hard and there's no preparation you could make really. It's just a chance for you to use your critical thinking skills.

After that I had an interview with two managers. They were really nice and it was a bit of a chat really. Just asked me about my work experience, do I really want to do auditing, why did I pick my college degree and so on.

After that it was the aptitude test. Thats like 2 hrs with numerical, literacy and abstract reasoning as well as a personality test. No preparation you can do for it to be honest. Good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

just got my first PFO of the season and it was off PWC

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xiongnu

Eireann91 wrote: »
    So, successful peeps - What backgrounds do those who have been called for interview or got an offer? Like, have ye done business in college?

I got called to KPMG and EY, actually graduated a little over 3 years ago and have had 2 jobs and 1 internship since then with a year of for travelling. None of the work experience was related to finance and my degree was only half Economics.

To be honest guys, I'm from Northern Ireland and I've lived outside of Ireland as a whole for most of the time since I was 18. I'm a bit worried about appearing totally clueless about Ireland and the Irish economy, I'm afraid it will work against me, I think I have a lot of research to do! Don't wanna look like a twat when I can't remember the name of the president!

scheister wrote: »
    just got my first PFO of the season and it was off PWC

Me too! :(

The email had a header "PwC - the Opportunity of a Lifetime". Er, no, it's not for me!

This has kinda knocked my confidence for the KPMG interview. Am I just filler? :-/

double post

What's PFO?

I called PwC today to change a contact detail and they said applications were still under review.
    Really don't have any hope I'll be called however.

• Advertisement

xiongnu wrote: »
    What's PFO?

Please Fúck Off. ;)
    I called PwC today to change a contact detail and they said applications were still under review.
    Really don't have any hope I'll be called however.

Check your emails. A lot of my buddies received the PFO rejection email too. So if you don't have one in your inbox, that may be a good sign. :)

Question: is PWC the holy grail of the big 4?

A girl in my class who got 520 points in the LC, a 2.1 degree, has a year's experience in an accountancy firm and is doing a pg dip in accounting got a PFO from PWC. What exactly are they looking for? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ashtonl2

What did the people who got the PFO email from PwC applied for?

ashtonl2 wrote: »
    What did the people who got the PFO email from PwC applied for?

Tax, same as everyone I know who got rejected. I stupidly put Restructuring and Forensic second, and not Audit. Ah well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

A girl in my class who got 520 points in the LC, a 2.1 degree, has a year's experience in an accountancy firm and is doing a pg dip in accounting got a PFO from PWC. What exactly are they looking for? :confused:

If you make silly mistakes on the application form, they will reject you.
    You'd be surprised when you look back at the mistakes you can make when you're trying to fill out 6/7 before the deadline!

Certainly cost me for one of the firms for the summer internships, and I was sure I double checked everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Interesting. :)

How do you know how many places are available for each, do you mind me asking? Do you know how many spots are available in KPMG for tax?

The information is all available in their graduate brochure, they list how many spots are available under each area. For Tax this year they're recruiting 65 people. Audit is 180, the rest of the areas hover between 3-18 I think depending on department.

What are her extra-curriculars like? I'm not insulting her but when it comes to the Big 4 a 2.1 is the requirement and 520 is good but nothing spectacular. That said the year experience should have helped her drastically. I think a lot of people here are looking too closely at academic credentials, a shoddy application or little to their name outside of academic credentials doesn't create an overly impressive application when you take into account the quality of many Big 4 applicants. As the poster above me said little mistakes can ruin a good application as it shows poor attention to detail, an absolute requirement for an accountant.

Kiltennel wrote: »
    What are her extra-curriculars like? I'm not insulting her but when it comes to the Big 4 a 2.1 is the requirement and 520 is good but nothing spectacular.

Really? I only have 480 and have a tax interview with KPMG. Meanwhile, a lad in my class has 480 points and pass maths and has a PWC interview. He did the class rep thing in college, but it's hard to see how that can rival actual work experience in addition to better academic credentials. The claims people make about the big 4's requirements often don't seem to stand up to scrutiny. It's all just a bit arbitrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Missed a call from Grant Thornton :eek:
    Fingers crossed it's an interview!

Edit: interview, boom!

jubella wrote: »
    Missed a call from Grant Thornton :eek:
    Fingers crossed it's an interview!

Edit: interview, boom!

Well done! I'm sure you'll get it.

I've pretty much accepted that the only interview I'll get is with KPMG. It's not too shabby at all. :cool: There is one smaller practice that I've just submitted an application for in the last few days that I would LOVE to get an interview for, but I'll just have to wait and see!

Anyone else have any news to report? :)

It sucks to get invites from some Big 4 and not others, makes you think why KPMG would ask me for interview but Deloitte wouldn't (although I haven't got my PFO email from them yet).

• Advertisement

It sucks to get invites from some Big 4 and not others, makes you think why KPMG would ask me for interview but Deloitte wouldn't (although I haven't got my PFO email from them yet).

Maybe it depends on the amount of applications they get? Supply and demand. From what I can see from my class, not everyone applies to all of the big 4, but everyone seems to apply to Deloitte and Pwc. They're kinda the "big 2", it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Second interview in the bag - Consulting - Deloitte.

Still to hear from PwC, but now that I have a 50% success rate in getting an interview I'm feeling a bit better!

Hmm... My Grant Thornton interview is in the Dublin office.
    I wonder does this mean I am interviewing for a role in the Dublin office rather than Newbridge? I picked Newbridge on the form, but that was just for "preferred" location.

Got my BDO form in on time, yay.
    I wish I'd thought of applying to more firms in Ireland earlier, I missed the Irish deadline for Grant Thornton and the process is so much simpler in ROI! For the London office, I passed the GT phone interview to be put into a pool of candidates since they don't have enough assessment centre times/people/HR and they said they'd get back to me in 6 weeks!? WTFFFF!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ainekilc

Has anyone gotten an interview with RSM Farrell Grant Sparks? Applied ages ago but haven't heard a dickie bird from them :/

Can anyone that has interviewed with Grant Thornton give me an idea of what to expect?

ainekilc wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten an interview with RSM Farrell Grant Sparks? Applied ages ago but haven't heard a dickie bird from them :/

I haven't heard anything but bear in mind they only have something like 7 graduate places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 easylad

Have interviews from EY, Deloitte and PwC so far out the 4 I applied. This coming week is gonna be lethal.. goodluck everyone.

easylad wrote: »
    Have interviews from EY, Deloitte and PwC so far out the 4 I applied. This coming week is gonna be lethal.. goodluck everyone.

What service line did you apply for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 easylad

What service line did you apply for?

All Audit missy... hopefully the interviews would be grand. I havent done much preparation.. gotta make a start soon.

Advertisement