Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Munster vs Edinburgh, Sat 7 Sep 7:15pm; TG4/BBCALBA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

danthefan wrote: »
    Not interested in getting into this, imo there's no way it was close to being intentional as I said, not too bothered if anyone thinks otherwise.
    If you would really like me to elaborate, it's because if I were coaching a team and a player kicked the ball backwards unsighted I'd be giving him a slap about the head. He had no idea who was behind him, the entire Embra team could have been lined up there for all he knew. It clipped his heel and bounced up to Coughlan, thems the breaks. Munster probably deserved a score as they'd cut Embra open.

And I'm done, as I said I don't really mind if you disagree.
    You're actually right, this is about as daft as it gets.

Not interested in this, but here's my opinion........ now I'm done, I'm not listening any more. Lalalalalalala...
    Okay, here's another comment......now I'm finished again. Still not listening to you. Lalalalalala....

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

who_me wrote: »
    Not interested in this, but here's my opinion........ now I'm done, I'm not listening any more. Lalalalalalala...
    Okay, here's another comment......now I'm finished again. Still not listening to you. Lalalalalala....

In fairness to Dan at least he appreciated the absurdity of the argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

No no no, it was O'Mahoney, not Casey. ;)

Buer wrote: »
    I think that's pretty much it. Not a hope he approached that ball with the intention of doing what he did. He was beaten by the bobble when he ran over the ball it so flicked out his heels. I don't think he knew it would work out as it did but it worked perfectly. A fortuitous piece of skillful improvisation.

I agree. You can see from the rear angle he deliberately flicked back a heel (or else he has the weirdest running style in rugby) after missing the kick through, probably hoping to flick it up to himself but instead went backwards to Coughlan.

On a side-note: Dear Mr. Penney, as a long-time Munster fan, I'm writing to you with deep held concern about the recent spate of "Munster winger incredible skill" moments that our young children are being increasingly exposed to. What kind of message is this sending out to young, budding players? Think of the slippery slope! Before you know it, you'll have props with white boots and ear-rings. Ear rings, I tells ya!. Regards, Grumpy in Cork.

No no no, it was O'Mahoney, not Casey. ;)

:P No, wasn't Ma'a either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

On a side-note: Dear Mr. Penney, as a long-time Munster fan, I'm writing to you with deep held concern about the recent spate of "Munster winger incredible skill" moments that our young children are being increasingly exposed to. What kind of message is this sending out to young, budding players? Think of the slippery slope! Before you know it, you'll have props with white boots and ear-rings. Ear rings, I tells ya!. Regards, Grumpy in Cork.

I agree,
    Its only a matter of time before the whole squad will be playing with their socks down around their ankles. Time to stamp out everything that is anyway flashy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I only caught highlights of the game but from reading here, did Duncan Williams play well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Had a fine game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I agree. You can see from the rear angle he deliberately flicked back a heel (or else he has the weirdest running style in rugby) after missing the kick through, probably hoping to flick it up to himself but instead went backwards to Coughlan.

Ha hope the Munster backs aren't turning into the Ladyboys (in red)...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭phog

I only caught highlights of the game but from reading here, did Duncan Williams play well?

Good enough game but was that because we had more time on the ball and he was somewhat responsible in the defensive gaps for both their tries.

His passing was accurate and fast and generally took the right decision from the base of a ruck. If he kept this performance up throughout the season we'd all be happy.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    In fairness to Dan at least he appreciated the absurdity of the argument

There was nothing absurd about the argument unless you actually mean Dan's post on the entire Edinburgh team might somehow have been behind ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

phog wrote: »
    There was nothing absurd about the argument unless you actually mean Dan's post on the entire Edinburgh team might somehow have been behind ROM.

Absurd as in who cares to what extent the flick was intentional?!

Good enough game but was that because we had more time on the ball and he was somewhat responsible in the defensive gaps for both their tries.

His passing was accurate and fast and generally took the right decision from the base of a ruck. If he kept this performance up throughout the season we'd all be happy.

A little bit harsh on him defensively. If someone misses a tackle on the edge of your 22 you're always going to struggle. For the second, ROM rushed out but didn't take his man, leaving a big gap in behind.

I think he's shown (both in this and the LI game) that if we get quick ruck ball he can be a menace. His pass is actually very quick and he was popping up to take offloads too. IMO, it's when the pace is slowed and the defence is pushing up quickly that he struggles, perhaps more so than Murray or Sheridan.

A little bit harsh on him defensively. If someone misses a tackle on the edge of your 22 you're always going to struggle. For the second, ROM rushed out but didn't take his man, leaving a big gap in behind.

I think he's shown (both in this and the LI game) that if we get quick ruck ball he can be a menace. His pass is actually very quick and he was popping up to take offloads too. IMO, it's when the pace is slowed and the defence is pushing up quickly that he struggles, perhaps more so than Murray or Sheridan.

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh on him but he was sweeping across the field in both cases and never laid a finger on either player, as I say he was only partially responsible. I'd be delighted to get that performance on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

I'm pretty sure he was off the pitch for the second try so you can't blame him for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hurk wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he was off the pitch for the second try so you can't blame him for that.

There's always a way ;)

You're dead right, Murphy was wearing a white scrum cap too so it may have been him for the 2nd try. I was ever harsher on Williams then I had intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

You're dead right, Murphy was wearing a white scrum cap too so it may have been him for the 2nd try. I was ever harsher on Williams then I had intended.

I was at the game and I mixed himself and Murphy up multiple times. Both had very good games, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I was at the game and I mixed himself and Murphy up multiple times. Both had very good games, in fairness.

In fairness what are non-pack players doing wearing scrum caps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

athtrasna wrote: »
    In fairness what are non-pack players doing wearing scrum caps?

Johne Murphy has some scar tissue around his ears...Duncan Williams has an Ian Madigan haircut he wishes to keep hidden

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Not interested in getting into this, imo there's no way it was close to being intentional as I said, not too bothered if anyone thinks otherwise.

I don't think otherwise. It was pure fluke, and worked out well for Munster. But only the most one-eyed of fans would think it was crafted. One to entertain the grand-kids with in his twilight years, but Zebo it was not (even if I tongue-in-cheek insinuated the opposite during the match)

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I don't think otherwise. It was pure fluke, and worked out well for Munster. But only the most one-eyed of fans would think it was crafted. One to entertain the grand-kids with in his twilight years, but Zebo it was not (even if I tongue-in-cheek insinuated the opposite during the match)

The "I'm right and you're one eyed" if you disagree argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

The "I'm right and you're one eyed" if you disagree argument.

You're welcome to believe it was intentional and I will make no effort to convince you otherwise. We will remain entrenched on our views on this one. It's a pretty trivial matter so I won't agonise over it. For what it's worth it was still a nicely worked try either way.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    You're welcome to believe it was intentional and I will make no effort to convince you otherwise. We will remain entrenched on our views on this one. It's a pretty trivial matter so I won't agonise over it. For what it's worth it was still a nicely worked try either way.

And you're welcome to believe it was a pure fluke if that's your view but please don't call others who have counter argued with that viewpoint as one eyed.

MR have put video highlights and some pics from the game on their site.

inpho_00733500.jpg

inpho_00733553.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh on him but he was sweeping across the field in both cases and never laid a finger on either player, as I say he was only partially responsible. I'd be delighted to get that performance on a regular basis.

I've been plenty harsh on him in the past too (he is/was to me clearly 3rd choice) but I have to acknowledge he upped his game for this one. No sloppy passes, only counted one time he was slow getting to the breakdown; and got involved much more than usual. Even had a couple of nice reverse passes in succession late in the game to fox the defence.

Good to see a bit of swagger back, he's taken a lot of stick (guilty!) but ultimately we all want to see players in the Munster jersey do well.

I've been plenty harsh on him in the past too (he is/was to me clearly 3rd choice) but I have to acknowledge he upped his game for this one. No sloppy passes, only counted one time he was slow getting to the breakdown; and got involved much more than usual. Even had a couple of nice reverse passes in succession late in the game to fox the defence.

Good to see a bit of swagger back, he's taken a lot of stick (guilty!) but ultimately we all want to see players in the Munster jersey do well.

True.

He was always capable of the reverse pass and a break but last season he seemed to lose confidence and his passing to the first receiver really suffered.

As I said in an earlier post I hope he continues the form he showed last Saturday night for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Not that my opinion is needed but I just feel that ROM over-ran the ball.

At some angles it looks like he tries to flick it with his boot, in others it looks like he's just running and it hits his heel.

I'd be on the side of accidental rather then genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

And you're welcome to believe it was a pure fluke if that's your view but please don't call others who have counter argued with that viewpoint as one eyed.

We would never do that phog, you are very fair when it comes to all things Munster :P

The overriding consensus on rugbydump among neutral fans is that there is no way that he intended to flick that into Coughlan's hands. I'd agree as do most people I've spoken to (and most people on here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Enough of the jabs people. I think this is a topic we can safely not lose sleep over and move on from....

Advertisement