Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Munster vs Edinburgh, Sat 7 Sep 7:15pm; TG4/BBCALBA

Options
  • 05-09-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    15 Denis Hurley, 14 Ronan O'Mahony, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Ivan Dineen, 11 Johne Murphy, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Duncan Williams,
    8 James Coughlan (capt), 7 Sean Dougall, 6 Dave O'Callaghan, 5 Donncha O'Callaghan, 4 Dave Foley, 3 Stephen Archer, 2 Mike Sherry, 1 James Cronin.

Replacements: 16 Damien Varley, 17 Dave Kilcoyne, 18 John Ryan, 19 Billy Holland, 20 Tommy O'Donnell, 21 Cathal Sheridan, 22 JJ Hanrahan, 23 Cian Bohane.

Edinburgh:
    15 Greig Tonks, 14 Dougie Fife, 13 Nick De Luca, 12 Ben Atiga, 11 Lee Jones, 10 Piers Francis, 9 Sean Kennedy,
    8 David Denton, 7 Roddy Grant, 6 Sean Cox (capt), 5 Izak van der Westhuizen, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Alasdair Dickinson.

Replacements: 16 Aleki Lutui, 17 Geoff Cross, 18 Lewis Niven, 19 Ollie Atkins, 20 Hamish Watson, 21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 22 Harry Leonard, 23 Jack Cuthbert.

Unavailable through injury: Tom Brown (ankle), Steven Lawrie (back), Robin Hislop (leg), Gregor Hunter (knee), Greig Laidlaw (knee), Chris Leck (shoulder), Robert McApline (knee), Stuart McInally (knee), Ross Rennie (shoulder), Matt Scott (ankle), Tim Visser (foot), Nikki Walker (shoulder).

Finally...

Ronan O'Mahony is the major winner of the pre-season, he gets a start after getting a hat-trick last week against London Irish. Stephen Archer starts what should be a run of games at tighthead and is definitely one to watch as Munster look to develop a viable homegrown tight-head prop.

Duncan Williams starts at nine, with the Irish Rugby community in full agreement that Will Genia will be considered a club player compared to him by the end of the season. IRB Player of the Year 2014. Guaranteed.

The Munster bench will hopefully play a key part, as players like Kilcoyne, O'Donnell and Hanrahan can make an impact.

Edinburgh are missing some key names in Laidlaw, Scott and Visser. They had a horrid season last year but have a new coach for this season in Alan Salomons, who coached Southern Kings in this year's Super 15.

Munster should win and four tries shouldn't be out of the question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Does anyone know where or if BBC ALBA is on SKY? Or does this mean its in Scottish?

PS Is the inclusion of Duncan Williams a misprint FFS he nearly gave Hurley an injury the way he passed the ball at him last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Edinburgh have a decent enough pack, or an experienced one anyway. Their backline looks less than inspiring, and they don't even have Visser.

Our backline isn't inspiring either, Williams at 9 really is just one of those downheartening things. We do have Keatley & Laulala, as well as ROM who is obviously on form. With our bench, I expect us to win handily enough. Maybe a TBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

While I agree with the general buzz on here that Williams is brutal , I wonder why coaches who know infinitely more than I, continue to pick him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Great to see James Cronin starting. Hope he goes well and we don't need to see Killer too early.
    Bench should provide plenty of impact with Killer, TOD and JJ and should help us to get a good win
    kub wrote: »
    Does anyone know where or if BBC ALBA is on SKY? Or does this mean its in Scottish?

PS Is the inclusion of Duncan Williams a misprint FFS he nearly gave Hurley an injury the way he passed the ball at him last weekend.
    BBC Alba is in
    other channels. Try frequency: 10.803, polarisation: H, Symbol Rate: 22 and FEC: 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

AFAIK, Alba is a but like TG4 so no English and can't recall an English commentary via a red button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »
    While I agree with the general buzz on here that Williams is brutal , I wonder why coaches who know infinitely more than I, continue to pick him?

I have no idea. I was at the Gloucester pre-season match and Sheridan was better during his time on the field. Same story by all accounts last week against London Irish.

Williams' main problem IMO is his sluggishness when getting the ball away (he has other deficiencies too!). When TOL's form was poor he had the same problem but at least TOL offered a physical edge and was always a beast in defence. Williams would want to seriously up his game or he'll be gone next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Williams would want to seriously up his game or he'll get gone next summer.

Really can't see any justification in keeping him on based on last season and games so far this year. More interested in finding out what he had on McGahan to get a two year contract in the first place :D

With the talk of proposed changes to the Heineken cup, particularly if the Aviva lot get their way, far fewer Rabo teams will qualify so a good result is important. We play Edinburgh three more times this season, arguably this is the least important but that's precisely why it's the most important, cards need to be marked before our trip over there in Edinburgh. Hope Stander heals well and fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

phog wrote: »
    AFAIK, Alba is a but like TG4 so no English and can't recall an English commentary via a red button.

Correct although pre/halftime/post match analysis is in English.

Rain promised for Cork tomorrow, hope it's not as bad as the rain during the Scarlets game last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I also found last year that the picture on alba was better than tg4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

athtrasna wrote: »

With the talk of proposed changes to the Heineken cup, particularly if the Aviva lot get their way, far fewer Rabo teams will qualify so a good result is important. We play Edinburgh three more times this season, arguably this is the least important but that's precisely why it's the most important, cards need to be marked before our trip over there in Edinburgh. Hope Stander heals well and fast!

I missed all those political moves, whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SK101

Hey wondering if there are tickets available on the gate at Musgrave Park tomorrow night?

I missed all those political moves, whats the story?

Possibly referring to stories like this

SK101 wrote: »
    Hey wondering if there are tickets available on the gate at Musgrave Park tomorrow night?

Almost certainly as Cork, Clare & Waterford are in the All Irelands on Sunday.

I might have one spare ticket if you want to PM me early tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

athtrasna wrote: »

Let's get a discussion going on the CJ Stander issue... (joke)

I think Munster should definitely be looking for a try BP here. That is a poor Edinburgh side (aren't all Edinburgh sides?); they look to have the edge in the front row but after that, Munster should be superior pretty much everywhere and should pull away fairly handy in the second half.

phog wrote: »
    Almost certainly as Cork, Clare & Waterford are in the All Irelands on Sunday.

I might have one spare ticket if you want to PM me early tomorrow.

I will be heading up with one of my brothers so will need two tickets I'm afraid and was hoping for the 20euro standing ones.

Not sure I would be able to get to a ticket master outlet to collect if I bought them online and don't want to travel up from west cork to find out I can't buy them on the gate.

Is there a number I can call to find out if they are selling them on the gate?

Just had another look on the Munster website in case I missed anything and saw that they are on sale on match day at musgrave park.

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Still tickets available online, so it's unlikely to be a sellout.

Well Leinster setting the early pace.... can't see us getting 4 tries and winning by 23 points tbh, even if we should. I didn't see their game, but it sounds like they weren't quite sure how they won by so much themselves. Still, that's the hallmark of a good team.

If Williams is even solid tomorrow and gets the ball out to Keatley reasonably quickly, I think our backs could cause damage. It is really time for Keatley to step up now and I think he can.

ROM will score a try too, as will TOD from the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Does Dineen hold much promise?

I reckon Munster might have been better served testing Keatley / JJ at 10/12 combo.

Can see Munster getting a handy BP win. Whatever about Williams et al, Edinburgh are an absolutely dire outfit altogether.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Does Dineen hold much promise?

I reckon Munster might have been better served testing Keatley / JJ at 10/12 combo.

Can see Munster getting a handy BP win. Whatever about Williams et al, Edinburgh are an absolutely dire outfit altogether.

Need to be careful here, don't want to be seen as hyping a player but I think Dineen has done what was asked of him, it will be interesting to see how he gets on if he's picked for bigger games. He needs to bulk up a though. I'm not sure the Keatley/Hanrahan partnership is off the cards, we're one game into the season and Penney has tried Bohane at 12 too so he has a few combos in his mind. He did say at a Q&A one night that he did see JJ as a 12 too but he may want JJ just to concentrate on outhalf position now. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I will be heading up with one of my brothers so will need two tickets I'm afraid and was hoping for the 20euro standing ones.

Not sure I would be able to get to a ticket master outlet to collect if I bought them online and don't want to travel up from west cork to find out I can't buy them on the gate.

Is there a number I can call to find out if they are selling them on the gate?

The dolphin side has a ticketmaster van outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Dineen is 96kg

backgreen wrote: »
    Dineen is 96kg

To me, he still looks likes he needs to bulk up but I haven't seen him this season yet. I missed the first friendly and he was injured for the second game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Sickened I can't make musgrave tonight! Bought my tickets for the Leinster game there to console myself!..

Really can't understand the Williams decision... Disappointed CJ and Conway are out aswell... After the last two weekends I really think R.O'Mahony has the potential to be electric on the wing! Really hope he plays well tonight! And hopefully JJ gets 20 mins and shows his strength and vision again!

Safe journey to anyone travelling to the game tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Very excited for this game this evening. Some of our performances in the Pro12 last year were simply atrocious, and we need to start this one well. I'm hoping for a pretty comprehensive victory; maybe even a bonus point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wrap up warm! Forecast says 4 degrees and showery :eek:

Very very wet here in Limerick, if it's like this in Cork, could see it being a lowscoring game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 marian Carolan

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Very very wet here in Limerick, if it's like this in Cork, could see it being a lowscoring game.

you are probably right but I am so looking forward to it took:-)

Advertisement