Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Scarlets vs Leinster Rugby, Friday 06th Sept 19:05, BBC Wales/RTE.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Have to be happy with that.

Great stuff from Gopperth and too many good performances to name, but still plenty for MOC to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Podge_irl wrote: »
    In case you didn't get it, your internet is **** ak

he won't get that message until tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Podge_irl wrote: »
    In case you didn't get it, your internet is **** ak

You'd be better off sending that by carrier pigeon to be honest, chances are it'll get there sooner...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We broke the proud tradition of losing our first game. Hell has frozen over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

toomevara wrote: »
    Could not disagree more. The 'hit' ruined the scrum, it was/is singularly responsible for the failure of the scrummage over the past few years and its steady reduction to a cheap ass way to score a penalty/free against your opponent as opposed an effective way to restart a game and a genuine contest between packs...

I am delighted with the new scrum laws...and the application of the law about ball down the middle of the scrum. It takes time to bed in, but already it's big improvement. Reminds me of 80s scrums again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Teferi wrote: »
    We broke the proud tradition of losing our first game. Hell has frozen over.

That's it lads. We're ****ed - not winning anything this year. You can't break with tradition and not face consequences!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

For the benefit of me and durkadurka, were we any use? And have we turned into Munster getting 3 yellow cards?

tolosenc wrote: »
    For the benefit of me and durkadurka, were we any use? And have we turned into Munster getting 3 yellow cards?

Hard to say. Our midfield defence was awful first half, though the scramble was good. We simply ripped Scarlets to shreds in the second half though their heads dropped and they just weren't in the game. Our scrum was a serious worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yellow cards were clumsy rather than systematic penalties due to us struggling or trying to cheat. A badly judged high tackle, a very silly tackle in the air and the last one, for McGrath, was when he kicked out (and didn't really connect) when an opposition player held him down by the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

2 of the yellows came from stupid split second in play decisions, hopefully they will not be the kind of thing that are repeated throughout the season. Mcgraths one is more worrying as he had already kicked out at someone on the ground earlier ( and that too had gone to tmo) so he needs to control himself better

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In case anyone hasnt left this thread it was

You're not suposed to put other scores in match threads. Just in case anyone wants to watch the other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Leinster grew into the game as Scarlets fell away. The fringe defense wasn't great in the first half, but for a first-up performance MOC should be happy enough. As Tox56 pointed out, there are a lot of good players still to come back, so it bodes well for the season. Scarlets were a bit awful by the end, so I wouldn't overplay the magnitude of the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Speedy Rabbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not really sure what to make of that. Very poor first half, going backwards at nearly every scrum, 3 yellow cards, some very serious defensive issues and a lack of leadership in the back line. But a TBP win, 5 tries, a 19-42 away win that denies the opposition a LBP with some very encouraging performances from individuals. I've never felt so conflicted about a performance.

The second half saw us start to look like Leinster again. But the Scarlets completely imploded after half time. Overall I'm very happy. Very, very happy. Opening day jitters obliterated and a great result away from home. And with 6 Lions and 5 internationals yet to come back (plus 2 foreign signings on the way and how many injuries?) things look pretty positive. The first half can be put down to rustiness, but I'm still a little concerned over the scrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

For a team that was (as BBC put it ) missing six Lions, it was frightening how clinical we were in the second half.

Gopperth looked as solid as I thought he looked for the Falcons. Very steady, very effective and a very good bit of business. Fanning and Macken stood out for me in the backs, nobody other than Murphy stood out in the forwards and Murphy had two bad tackles in the first half.

MOC seems to be very much the Joe show continued. Needs to work on the scrum big time, but it's early days and it was hardly our first choice pack.

Was nice to see it clicking and moving up the gears, flawed but brilliant is how I'd describe it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

The best thing you can say about that match is that 15 min in I just wanted it to end without it being too embarrassing. But by the end I felt we could easily have played longer and put up an even bigger score.

Still plenty to work on, but good to see that MOC can redirect a game a halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Decent performance, Gopperth was solid while we looked good offensively in the second half.

Work to be done on the midfield defense (Looking at you Macken ;)) and scrum but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt due to the new laws being so drastic.

Now onto the Ospreys next week, hopefully it'll be 2/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Gopperth is going to prove a quality signing, really solid player.

Would echo one of the previous posts, bit of a mad game. Couldn't tackle for ****e in the first 20, 3 yellow cards, some very turgid stuff a times, and yet a convincing away BP in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Very impressed with Murphy and Gopperth. Gopperth looks to be a good steady FH and just what's needed to settle the nerves after sextons move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Scrum looked fine in the 2nd half. Bad day for Marty, but he's got plenty of potential.

Have to say our support play was sensational. For all the bad aspects of our game, the support play was as good, if not better than last season. I think pace is going to be key for players coming into the season. Fast front rowers like McGrath and Cronin really helped our support play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Very happy overall.

Gopperth looks the business and Fanning very solid on the wing.

I thought Murphy really continued his great form from last year too.

Macken looks to be beginning to live up to his promise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What did everyone make of McCarthy? Very happy with him I must say. Really helped in the tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

.ak wrote: »
    What did everyone make of McCarthy? Very happy with him I must say. Really helped in the tight.

Gave away one very silly penalty but he was always looking for work and looks very mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »

Very industrious and physical. Even threw a nice pass from scrum half. I think it was half to do with his showing though and half to do with the ineffectual showing of Denton who must be nearing last chance saloon at this stage.

He's had 11 appearances in blue and been poor in pretty much all of them. That would possibly be more but for the fact that he managed to get himself suspended for about 6 weeks last season also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Buer wrote: »
    Very industrious and physical. Even threw a nice pass from scrum half. I think it was half to do with his showing though and half to do with the ineffectual showing of Denton who must be nearing last chance saloon at this stage.

He's had 11 appearances in blue and been poor in pretty much all of them. That would possibly be more but for the fact that he managed to get himself suspended for about 6 weeks last season also.

I think he just looked anonymous tonight rather than obviously poor. An improvement in anyone's book surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Buer wrote: »

That pass was a beauty! Also good to see him running on the shoulder of Gopperth for his try.

Highlight for me was McGrath legging it down the touchline on 68 mins, with a nice off load to Hudson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Gave away one very silly penalty but he was always looking for work and looks very mobile

EDIT: I misread that as McGrath so that is a summation of how I felt McGrath went

McCarthy offered a lot more bulk around the park. Has to be said that Toner was very good too, handled a lot of ball and is really coming into his own lately. He'll never be a top class lock but he's a decent player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Watching it again on RTE, don't shoot the messenger, Ruddock's defence in the opening 15 mins was abysmal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

There are two myths that I am happy Michael Cheika attempted to dispel and, IMO, succeeded with the Leinster mindset:

1) "You have to lose one to win one"....Not true, as a few of you here will know from MC's 2009 HC final teamtalk...,excuses count for nothing in history.

2) "Transition is a painful time for a team." ??? What? Not necessarily. A myth perpetuated by teams without a clear and established succession policy

Well done tonight, lads. If MOC can bring in one ethic from the AP, for me, it is that you are fighting for survival from the start.

Bring on the season.

Advertisement