Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Scarlets vs Leinster Rugby, Friday 06th Sept 19:05, BBC Wales/RTE.ie

Options
  • 05-09-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

logo-rabopro12.jpg

Rugby Season is Back!

Finally, silly season is ending and we are returning to some form of sanity and normality. Rugby season kicks off again tomorrow. And Leinster return to Parc y Scarlets for their opener. Last season Leinster were on the end of a 40-25 drubbing which saw them concede 7 tries. It was a very tough night at the office, but opening night defeats has become the norm for Leinster these last few seasons.

This year though Leinster are fielding a strong side to compete with an equally strong Scarlets squad. Jack McGrath proved himself at the tail end of last season and Martin Moore held his own against Lions tourist Alex Corbisiero in last weeks pre-season friendly showing cause for optimism in the shallow end that is the TH position. Sean Cronin completes a front-row that should be capable of going toe to toe with the Scarlets trio. The biggest source of concern lies in the engine room where Toner and Denton make up what could be a fairly underpowered second row in the tight. However the back-row is an area that should be a source of confidence for Leinster. Shane Jennings leads the side from open-side with Ruddock, who looked to have come on a good deal as last season progressed, and Jordi Murphy, who was deservedly awarded last years Young Player of the Year, providing a good deal of balance to the back three.

At scrum-half Eoin Reddan starts his first game since breaking his leg. After coming off the bench against Northampton he looked energetic and eager to get involved. He is partnered with Jimmy Gopperth who makes his competitive debut for Leinster. It will be interesting to see how Gopperth does as I'm sure he isn't at Leinster to play second fiddle to Ian Madigan. In the centre Gordon D'Arcy returns to partner Fergus McFadden. While many believe that outside centre is not McFaddens best position I'd be curious to see how the two line up. D'Arcy has had a number of successful appearances at 13 in the past and the two could (and should) mix it up a bit there. Regardless, it's certainly a far more experienced center combination that last year and McFadden is coming off the back of some serious form so hopefully he can keep that going.

The back 3 sees the return of one of Leinsters most promising players; Luke Fitzgerald. Plagued by injuries over the last few years there are plenty of Leinster and Ireland fans out there that would dearly love to see him get through a full season unscathed. On the opposite wing is newcomer Darragh Fanning who did well against a poor George North last week. Dave Kearney takes the 15 jersey in what is probably his most natural position.

Leinsters bench also looks pretty strong. Jack O'Connell is another very promising Leinster LH and Aaron Dundon has been exactly the kind of solid player every squad needs which he showed in spades last season. Mike Ross is the replacement TH, but I'd imagine he will only be used when absolutely necessary. There is too much of a step down to Furlong right now and it wouldn't be right to throw him into this game at this stage of his development. Mike McCarthy should get his first Leinster cap and could provide much needed grunt to the second row and Dominic Ryan, like Luke Fitzgerald, will be itching to get a full season under his belt this year. We all saw how well he did in the 10/11 season when he had the opportunity. Isaac Boss is the replacement scrum-half, although I feel Cooney can be rightly agrieved at that as he has earned a spot in the squad. Noel Reid and Brendan Macken complete the squad, and while both probably have unhappy memories of Parc y Scarlets it's true that both have improved greatly since that night.

Scarlets are very close to full strength for this game, and when combined with home advatage you'd have to favour them to win this one. However the scoreline will be anything but the 45-20 result from last year. It should be a tight game from start to finish, with Leinster probably losing out by 3 to 5 points. That would be a huge improvement over the last few years though and a LBP away to Scarlets while missing so many players should not be sneezed at. Not that it matters either way. Rugby season is back. Hallelujah!

leinster.gif
    |
    1316184191.jpg

15: Dave Kearney|15: Gareth Owen
    14: Darragh Fanning|14: Liam Williams
    13: Fergus McFadden|13: Scott Williams
    12: Gordon D'Arcy|12: Steve Shingler
    11: Luke Fitzgerald|11: Kristian Phillips
    10: Jimmy Gopperth|10: Rhys Priestland
    9: Eoin Reddan|9: Gareth Davies
    |
    1: Jack McGrath|1: Phil John
    2: Sean Cronin|2: Ken Owens
    3: Martin Moore|3: Samson Lee
    4: Tom Denton|4: George Earle
    5: Devin Toner|5: Jo Snyman
    6: Rhys Ruddock|6: Aaron Shingler
    7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN|7: Josh Turnbull
    8: Jordi Murphy|8: Rob McCusker CAPTAIN
    |
    16: Aaron Dundon|16: Emyr Phillips
    17: Jack O'Connell|17: Rob Evans
    18: Mike Ross|18: Jacobie Adriaanse
    19: Mike McCarthy|19: Jake Ball
    20: Dominic Ryan|20: Craig Price
    21: Isaac Boss|21: Rhodri Williams
    22: Noel Reid|22: Adam Warren
    23: Brendan Macken|23: Jordan Williams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Mightily surprised by some of those selections and will hold my hands up and say I was pretty comprehensively wrong. Had to happen eventually. Most surprised with Ross being brought back in so soon. I wonder if he asked to come back. He plays a serious amount of games (starts about 28 games a season on average over the last 3 years) and is almost 34. I'd have thought they'd want to give him plenty of recovery.

I'm a little disappointed to see such a strong selection in some regards. That's a real kick in the teeth for Macken. I'm not a fan of Ferg at 13 at all really. Also straight back to Reddan and Boss. I'd have expected Reddan but one of the young lads on the bench.

I expect a game littered with mistakes but just happy to have Leinster back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Apparently Priestland has found some form, but I hope Gopperth shows him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I see it has been raised a few teams, but if I was a Leinster fan I'd be kinda irritated at still seeing McFadden at 13 under a new coach. Schmidt didn't make many mistakes, but I do think that was one of them...even though he may have had less options. McFadden is better at both 12 and the wing than 13. Trying Fitz in the centre or giving Macken a go would surely have been better? It's like playing Hurley on the wing for Munster, he's a good player, but really on the wing, he offers little.

Still, a very strong team for the first game of the season, you'd expect a win if they hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Mightily surprised by some of those selections and will hold my hands up and say I was pretty comprehensively wrong. Had to happen eventually. Most surprised with Ross being brought back in so soon. I wonder if he asked to come back. He plays a serious amount of games (starts about 28 games a season on average over the last 3 years) and is almost 34. I'd have thought they'd want to give him plenty of recovery.

I'd say it's because there is a serious step down to Furlong, and that showed last week against the Saints. I'm sure Leinster have said they'll play Moore for as long as possible and only bring Ross on if/when it's totally necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Apparently Priestland has found some form, but I hope Gopperth shows him up.

I'll believe that when I see it. I've never rated him and always thought he was the weak spot in any back line he's played in, the Welsh side particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Phil John would appear to be a very... gentle introduction to the world of tighthead propping for Martin Moore. Hopefully I won't eat my words, but this looks like a good chance to see if Moore can keep the ship steady before any major tests

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd say it's because there is a serious step down to Furlong, and that showed last week against the Saints. I'm sure Leinster have said they'll play Moore for as long as possible and only bring Ross on if/when it's totally necessary.

Was Furlong really that bad last week?

Tox56 wrote: »
    Phil John would appear to be a very... gentle introduction to the world of tighthead propping for Martin Moore. Hopefully I won't eat my words, but this looks like a good chance to see if Moore can keep the ship steady before any major tests

I was tempted to say our front row would have the advantage, but given McGrath and Moore are still so young and inexperienced, plus the new scrum laws, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution. But yeah it could be a lot worse.

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Was Furlong really that bad last week?

When Moore was on the scrum was fairly steady. When Furlong came on we were driven backwards at every (?) scrum. Now in fairness we also had Beirne and Marshall replace Roux and Denton in the second row so that could have had something to do with it I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yes! The tables, er, I mean the rugby is back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Disappointing to see both Reddan and Boss involved. I'd have hoped to see someone like Cooney make the bench, because one of the youngsters needs to make big strides this year. Chance for Gopperth to lay down a marker before Madigan gets a shot too.

.ak wrote: »
    Yes! The tables, er, I mean the rugby is back!

I knew I couldn't let you down so had to get right on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Backrow battle looks fair tasty.

Hope someone gets a nice tasty shot in on Liam Williams early on. Jack McGrath on crash ball to the left wing please Redser!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Surprisingly strong side named for the opening day of the season, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wonder if it's a bit too strong too early? One thing Schmidt was excellent at was getting the team nicely kicking along but not overcooked by the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

.ak wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a bit too strong too early? One thing Schmidt was excellent at was getting the team nicely kicking along but not overcooked by the end of the season.

Possibly, but the opening day losing streak is something that has to be stopped to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

P_1 wrote: »
    Possibly, but the opening day losing streak is something that has to be stopped to be honest.

Yeah was thinking the same thing, a strong showing first game to get the season started on the right foot. The next few games to follow won't have quite as strong a side I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

O'Connor out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking the same thing, a strong showing first game to get the season started on the right foot. The next few games to follow won't have quite as strong a side I would imagine.

O'Connor is probably worried about losing the dressing room after three games, just like Schmidt did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Very happy with that team have to say. Denton would be the only weak-ish selection. Be confident of the points. Leinster were traditionally slow starters because of the weak teams Schmidt used to select. Don't see why players shouldn't start if they are fit. You could say we started the HC slowly last season because the players were undercooked going in and that cost us qualification (ie no BP at home to Exeter)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah I'm not sure what to make of Denton but he might just be a better scrummaging option than one of the young'uns

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Phoeey

Here's how you tune BBC Wales onto your Sky box.

Frequency | 10.788
    Polarisation | V
    Symbol Rate | 22.0
    F.E.C. | 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

In a perfect world I would love to see a few more of the young backs given a chance but we’ve by a good distance the hardest opener out of the provinces and when you follow that up with games against Glasgow and Ospreys you can understand why MOC wants to send a strong, experienced team out to hopefully get a win (or at least a LBP) on the board. There’ll be plenty of chances later in the season for the youngsters in easier games and it could do them good to be able to possibly play alongside more of first team at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I just remembered that I'm going to the soccerball tomorrow... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

tolosenc wrote: »

I see Trapattoni was quoted as saying he had "no special plans" in place for Ibrahimovic :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Commiserations. What evil did you do to get sentenced to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Me too . Feck it anyhow .

So are Brolin and Dahlin still playing for Sweden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Teferi wrote: »
    Commiserations. What evil did you do to get sentenced to that?

Having friends. Such a chore.
    durkadurka wrote: »
    So are Brolin and Dahlin still playing for Sweden?

I can only hope so.

Advertisement