Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Chargers Pointless In Carlow Town

Options
13»

Comments

pred racer wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, when these spaces are designated EV only (which I'm sure they will soon) does that mean that the car 'has' to be charging or any registered ev can park there for as long as they like?

Very interesting question !

I wouldn't unnecessarily hold up a charging bay, the Zoe is the only capable car that can charge in less than 1 hour from all the type chargers as in the pic on the fist page of this thread. They are 22 kw chargers and Zoe can charge at any rate up to 44 kw on A/C.

The Gen I Leaf will take less than 8 hrs and the Gen II less than 4 (only with the optional 6kw charger). The Chevy Spark would take 8 as currently it's got only a 3 kw charger. But can fast charge on DC.

The BMW I3 will charge in under 4, the VW E-Up and E-Golf is unknown yet and they feature a completely different charging standard which I'm going to start a thread on soon.

so the Zoe will benefit hugely from the infrastructure as you'll never be more than an hour charging and could even put a decent charge in in 30 mins.

Sadly though there are 0 fast chargers compatible with Zoe so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

All the above assumes that the cars actually need a charge. For an EV that didn't need a charge to occupy a charging bay would be just as bad as an ICE doing it, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Any hope you'd tell us which town in Mayo that is CiniO?

I'd avoid it like the plague if you did.

I won't because I don't want to reveal my location on public forum.

But pretty much go to any town in Mayo, and you can see same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

spacetweek wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Italy or Spain??

I have.
    Parking might be bit tight there in some places, but it doesn't mean that 40% of cars are parked illegaly.
    It's nothing compared to Ireland.

Anan1 wrote: »
    All the above assumes that the cars actually need a charge. For an EV that didn't need a charge to occupy a charging bay would be just as bad as an ICE doing it, no?

Yes exactly, I 100% agree.

It would cut down on the amount of chargers required.

usually ev's have lights flashing on the dash to tell you outside the vehicle if it's charging or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I can't remember when is the last time I saw an EV. 2nd I've never seen an EV at a charge point......just my 2c and yes I do get out.

Until they double line the EV charge point space for motorized vehicles, people will park in the EV spots....case in point Cabinteely where spots for parking are at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

biko wrote: »
    Although this is true those people usually only take 5 mins get their coffee and sambo, so I can wait.
    Someone in front of an EV spot could be there hours.

They need to paint those spots in Carlow to make it clear it's for EVs only and ICEs will be towed.

There's usually stand alone parking spots in petrol stations , which they ignore. By the time they order a roll, it's made, they sort their coffee, read the headlines, have a chat, pay by card, get into car, **** around finding keys, drink coffee and eat a bit and finally **** off your looking at close to 10 mins. Drives me mad as 100% of the time they can abandon their car somewhere less inconvenient for 90% of the people who drive to a petrol station.
    Another species are the airheads who park beside the water, air etc usually driving over hoses etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Fine them and clamp if neccesary, my car is converted to LPG and I sometimes see problems like this where the LPG Autogas pump is blocked by some eejit who has no business there but will park up there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Which, in principle, it is. In both cases it's only common decency to respect the wishes of the owner of the bin.

I guess we'll see. :)
    Thanks for the link, I had not seen this :pac:

Yes in both cases it is only common decency. However, one is worse than the other. It is not illegal to walk into a mcdonalds, whereas to trespass in your house and use your bin is illegal.

There is a fundamental difference, you must surely see that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yes in both cases it is only common decency. However, one is worse than the other. It is not illegal to walk into a mcdonalds, whereas to trespass in your house and use your bin is illegal.

There is a fundamental difference, you must surely see that!?
    A lot of wrong things aren't illegal, and a lot of illegal things aren't wrong. Sure only one is illegal, but both are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

clamp them

A lot of wrong things aren't illegal, and a lot of illegal things aren't wrong. Sure only one is illegal, but both are wrong.

say that back to back fast 3 times ! :D

Advertisement