Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Chargers Pointless In Carlow Town

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Done, though not a strongly worded E-mail.

This is the response from Carlow Town Council.

"Many thanks for your email. The charge points that you refer to were recently installed by ESB Networks.

The works have not been completed as yet as there is line painting, signage and some commissioning outstanding. We have been advised that these works will be completed shortly. Concurrently Carlow Town Council needs to make an amendment to the Traffic and Parking Bye Laws which again will be completed shortly. Once these items are completed the bays will be fully available for EV users,

Regards,

Brian O'Donovan,
    Town Engineer, "

You should reply...

"Thanks for your reply Brian.

Any idea when this'll happen exactly, as I've not enough charge left to get home.

Regards,

Mad Lad"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Surely it would make much more sense to for the relevant council to provide a designated charging area for electric cars if they are going to allow the installation of charging points. The current set up is open to widespread abuse and if anything will impede the sucess of them.

If every other space was full I would have no issue in parking there if it wasn't specifically marked as a charging point. If it was I'd treat it in the same way as I would a disabled space. I still don't agree with this preferential treatment of EV drivers lark - if your car regularly needs a charge on your journey then perhaps you should have bought something more suited to your needs.

You should reply...

"Thanks for your reply Brian.

Any idea when this'll happen exactly, as I've not enough charge left to get home.

Regards,

Mad Lad"

I'll give ye that Henry, funny ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

inforfun wrote: »
    Not the same thing now, is it?

Of course i driver the way you describe. Well, try to at least. Some people are always invonvenienced

But here we are talking about a free for all parking space that i should not park in because there might or might not at any time be an EV that needs charging?

**** that.

Now if the entire parking is free, yes i will park elsewhere. If it is the last spot avaliable, you bet i ll park there.

If I own a car park and decide to designate the 50 spaces around the door as being only for drivers of Perodua Kelisa's is that not my choice that should be respected?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pred racer wrote: »

Btw if I painted an alien on a parking spot, would you leave that free also, just in case?:pac:

If you own the parking space then paint away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

kona wrote: »
    No different to the geebags who take up a pump at a petrol station while not buying petrol.
    Although this is true those people usually only take 5 mins get their coffee and sambo, so I can wait.
    Someone in front of an EV spot could be there hours.

They need to paint those spots in Carlow to make it clear it's for EVs only and ICEs will be towed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

CiniO wrote: »
    But in general such randomness of way people park in Ireland exceeds any reasonable limits, and can't be seen anywhere else I've ever been to.
    Have you ever been to Italy or Spain??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If I own a car park and decide to designate the 50 spaces around the door as being only for drivers of Perodua Kelisa's is that not my choice that should be respected?

If you want a really quiet car park, you should do that.

But you are missing the point of pic in the OP, there is no markings on the road. it is just a charging station.
    We now know after the OP mailed, there will be markings. Fair enough, you ll not see any car i ever own parked in it.

Let me try this one: Would you leave the last available parking space open, park somewhere else, not even close o where you need to be, because there might be disabled person needing that last space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It is, but you also have no right to interfere with any vehicle that does not respect your choice (assuming your car park is open to the public), nor can you issue fines/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    It is, but you also have no right to interfere with any vehicle that does not respect your choice (assuming your car park is open to the public),
    Legally perhaps not yet, but morally he'd have just as much right as you would if someone parked in your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

As far as I am aware we are talking about public, not private parking and as far as we know these spaces are not "ev only"
    If you own the parking space then paint away.

Again being pedantic doesnt change the fact that you didnt answer the question;)
    If you arrive in your local high street and find that the only space left is marked as alien spaceship refueling, would you park there?

A) No, even though you have never seen an alien in your local high street and know that the space is not 'Alien only'.

B) yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

On a slightly different note, when these spaces are designated EV only (which I'm sure they will soon) does that mean that the car 'has' to be charging or any registered ev can park there for as long as they like?

pred racer wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, when these spaces are designated EV only (which I'm sure they will soon) does that mean that the car 'has' to be charging or any registered ev can park there for as long as they like?
    That's an interesting question.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Legally perhaps not yet, but morally he'd have just as much right as you would if someone parked in your driveway.
    Curious as to the "not yet" part
    I am not aware of any upcoming changes in legislation.

Morally he would not have any right either. To compare disobeying a painted line in a public carpark to blocking someone's driveway is quite frankly ridiculous.

That's an interesting question.
    Yes, one would assume that the legislation would be so that an EV can park there for as long as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Yes, one would assume that the legislation would be so that an EV can park there for as long as they like.
    No, only while the charger is connected.
    Cannot be enforced at present until the bylaws mentioned earlier are passed.

STForSale wrote: »
    No, only while the charger is connected.
    Cannot be enforced at present until the bylaws mentioned earlier are passed.

Interesting.
    I thought that, what with this being Ireland they would make a balls of it. Obviously they are not!

Curious as to the "not yet" part
    I am not aware of any upcoming changes in legislation.
    Regulated clamping is on the way. ;)
    Morally he would not have any right either. To compare disobeying a painted line in a public carpark to blocking someone's driveway is quite frankly ridiculous.
    It's exactly the same thing, disrespecting someone else's property.
    Why would you assume that? It's a charging station first, and a parking space second.

Interesting.
    I thought that, what with this being Ireland they would make a balls of it. Obviously they are not!
    Safe assumption but even a broken watch is right twice a day.

“Contained within the Smarter Transport Bill 2011 is a clever provision which states that there will be “prohibition of the parking of a vehicle in a charging bay when the vehicle is not undergoing charging of its battery”.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Easily abused though. Park, hook it up, and free parking for the day!

• Advertisement

A simple solution is a set maximum period. I wonder can a charger recognize a particular car?

Anyone who owns or is thinking of buying an EV knows why this is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I've seen quite a few of these chargers in locations where a EV car will never be able to use them without laws and enforcement stopping ICE cars parking there. The charge point in Donneybrook on Belmont Ave would be the most obvious one to me.

I've seen quite a few of these chargers in locations where a EV car will never be able to use them without laws and enforcement stopping ICE cars parking there. The charge point in Donneybrook on Belmont Ave would be the most obvious one to me.
    IMO stopping ICE cars from parking in recharging spots is only a short-term problem. The real struggle will be between EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Have any of you been to Longford Town?

Hands down the worst place I have ever seen for bad parking, concentrated heavily around chippers, bookies and ATM's. Not uncommon to see triple parking with the obligatory double flashers going; the traffic warden should be equipped with a rocket launcher.

Have any of you been to Longford Town?

Hands down the worst place I have ever seen for bad parking, concentrated heavily around chippers, bookies and ATM's. Not uncommon to see triple parking with the obligatory double flashers going; the traffic warden should be equipped with a rocket launcher.
    The Irish fundamentally don't give a f*ck about anyone other than themselves, and this is very clear from the way we park.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

IMO stopping ICE cars from parking in recharging spots is only a short-term problem. The real struggle will be between EVs.

You seem to be focusing on the problem that might happen, rather then the problem that is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The Irish fundamentally don't give a f*ck about anyone other than themselves, and this is very clear from the way we park.

Bit harsh. I've become a lot more conscious of it since I changed my car but when we do it badly we do it spectacularly badly.

Regulated clamping is on the way. ;).
    Care to provide a source? Not that I doubt your expertise on the subject (given your unabated enthusiasm for it :P ) but I like to read things for myself rather than from "a guy on the internet"
    It's exactly the same thing, disrespecting someone else's property.

It is not the same thing, one is a public area designated for public parking, and the other is a private
    residence. That is like telling me that me dumping my rubbish in mcdonalds but in the wrong bin is like me walking into your house and putting my rubbish in your bin.
    Why would you assume that It's a charging station first, and a parking space second.
    I assumed that, as irish law isnt exactly smart in the motors area :pac:

• Advertisement

Care to provide a source? Not that I doubt your expertise on the subject (given your unabated enthusiasm for it :P ) but I like to read things for myself rather than from "a guy on the internet"
    Says you! Here you go:http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0410/380765-clamping/

It is not the same thing, one is a public area designated for public parking, and the other is a private
    residence. That is like telling me that me dumping my rubbish in mcdonalds but in the wrong bin is like me walking into your house and putting my rubbish in your bin.
    Which, in principle, it is. In both cases it's only common decency to respect the wishes of the owner of the bin.
    I assumed that, as irish law isnt exactly smart in the motors area :pac:
    I guess we'll see. :)

Advertisement