Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Chargers Pointless In Carlow Town

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:45pm

Mad country, still allow ICE cars to park in front of chargers.

Carlow Co. Council.

I Decided not to block the reg numbers because This really annoys me even though I'm not an e.v owner (yet) I think that if I needed to charge I would be completely unable to do so unless I park on the footpath and would probably get toed away or fined even though someone is blocking the chargers.

There are 3 in total 22kw AC chargers in Carlow Town, one at the train station, one at the bus stop across from Aldi and the New one at the old Perry's Cash And Carry. The one at the bus stop regularly has ICE cars parked in it, I don't know about the train station.

Here are the perpetrators, shame on you !

IMG_20130904_111602_zps3d855819.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What law are the breaking?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They might be there but i cant see any marking that that car is not allowed to park there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No better in Limerick City...

581910_10151528269614491_2010577568_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

No laws broken, just lack of common sense.

Yes even though There may or not be a "law" it is still stupid, people may genuinely need these chargers. It's pure ignorant in my view and I'm an ICE driver.

• Advertisement

AFAIK the local CO Councils have the power to fine or toe away.

If every time i have to park somewhere i have to think and look around whether or not i am an inconvenience to someone in what looks like a perfectly ok parking spot, i might as well stay home.

Make it it clear that that space is for EV, like in the 2nd picture and if then ICE cars park there, i ll agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I mentioned this in another thread, but access to public charge points is one of the main obstacles for EVs. Trying to find space for them is an absolute nightmare, someone invariably has a claim on the spot and in most instances you're looking at the prospect at a court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

No different to the geebags who take up a pump at a petrol station while not buying petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Perhaps when all the electric car owners write letters complaining to their local council action will be taken. Until then I dont think it is that big a deal to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What law are the breaking?
    That's the problem with Irish motorists right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Mad_Lad I agree with you that it's a shame people do that.

But in general such randomness of way people park in Ireland exceeds any reasonable limits, and can't be seen anywhere else I've ever been to.

I could go now to centre of a small town I live in, and photograph 30 or 40 cars which are parked incorrectly. That could make probably 30% to 40% of all cars parked in the town.

CiniO wrote: »

But in general such randomness of way people park in Ireland exceeds any reasonable limits, and can't be seen anywhere else I've ever been to.

I could go now to centre of a small town I live in, and photograph 30 or 40 cars which are parked incorrectly. That could make probably 30% to 40% of all cars parked in the town.

Someone could genuinely need these chargers, I think it's a big deal.

Same as if I went Dublin to the Luas and if they were blocked, I'm screwed, however regarding the Leaf I could fast charge at Newlands Cross at Bewleys, that is still very inconvenient if the car should be charged when I come out of the city.

This doesn't just happen in Carlow I can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

To get technical about it, are these parking spaces or charging points? Or both?

Id assume both as no marking either way to state otherwise

So its a parking space with an optional charge point?

I mean if the place was wedged and there are no other spaces available, are we expected to drive elsewhere in our petrol guzzlers?

It would appear so, the chances of an electric car needing that space seems to be more important than the original petrol car needing that space which is actually there:confused:

It would appear so, the chances of an electric car needing that space seems to be more important than the original petrol car needing that space which is actually there:confused:

It actually is more important because there are much more petrol stations than chargers and someone might need the charger.

It would be important to you if you needed it too.

I think the Co. Councils could make a lot of money fining anyone parking in these charge bays.

it's up to them at the end of the day to enforce it.

Other side of the coin is all the car parks in the area might be full up due to some event, busy shopping day etc and there are no other spaces available. Why should that car give up the space and inconvenience themselves for somthing that might or might not occur?

Also by the same token you mention there are other electric charge up points in carlow as well

• Advertisement

If it is a designated charging space with the green paint and markings all over, I wouldn't think to park there. But the picture in the OP looks like a regular space? If the park was full, I don't see why an EV vehicle is the only one that can take it, a car that isn't even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

inforfun wrote: »
    If every time i have to park somewhere i have to think and look around whether or not i am an inconvenience to someone in what looks like a perfectly ok parking spot, i might as well stay home.

Do you not drive in a manner to not inconvenience others all the time? I would consider it a basic common courtesy.

People will park in the charge bays just for the sake of it, I've seen it at the bus stop when there are clearly a lot more spaces.

People are so ignorant that they will park in the ev space when there is a non ev space right beside it, in my view it's just plane ignorance and the typical "I'll do what I want " mentality you get in this country.

I'm a ICE driver I have the courtesy not to park in these spaces.

Do you not drive in a manner to not inconvenience others all the time? I would consider it a basic common courtesy.

Not the same thing now, is it?

Of course i driver the way you describe. Well, try to at least. Some people are always invonvenienced

But here we are talking about a free for all parking space that i should not park in because there might or might not at any time be an EV that needs charging?

**** that.

Now if the entire parking is free, yes i will park elsewhere. If it is the last spot avaliable, you bet i ll park there.

Perhaps the best solution would be for you to write a strongly worded letter to the carlow council explaining your troubles over this

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

A quick google shows that there are more charging points than electric cars in the country, so I'd be parking there too.

Edit: if there were no other spaces, not just for the sakeof it ;)

Btw if I painted an alien on a parking spot, would you leave that free also, just in case?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

inforfun wrote: »
    Now if the entire parking is free, yes i will park elsewhere. If it is the last spot avaliable, you bet i ll park there.
    This, tbh is my opinion too.

No status in law. I will leave them as a courtesy but if there are no other spaces then you can bet Ill be parking there.

Isnt there like 3 chargers for every ev in the country or something mad like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

A pic of an electric car actually in these spaces might be more of a novelty! :rolleyes:

Perhaps the best solution would be for you to write a strongly worded letter to the carlow council explaining your troubles over this

good luck

Done, though not a strongly worded E-mail.

This is the response from Carlow Town Council.

"Many thanks for your email. The charge points that you refer to were recently installed by ESB Networks.

The works have not been completed as yet as there is line painting, signage and some commissioning outstanding. We have been advised that these works will be completed shortly. Concurrently Carlow Town Council needs to make an amendment to the Traffic and Parking Bye Laws which again will be completed shortly. Once these items are completed the bays will be fully available for EV users,

Regards,

Brian O'Donovan,
    Town Engineer, "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CiniO wrote: »

Any hope you'd tell us which town in Mayo that is CiniO?

I'd avoid it like the plague if you did.

Advertisement