Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Excellent show, looks and sounds amazing. Hopefully the quality of the storyline continues.

On Harris: I reckon he's a board member. He's clearly a very powerful individual. Also referred to as a guest so unless thats a ruse, he's human.

The end of episode 2 was chilling. Looks like there are multiple physical copies of the same host. If they are killed in game then the physical body is retired and probably recycled for parts. The hosts "conciousness" is then wiped and reloaded into another physical copy of the same host (e.g. Teddy). Would explain how the hosts are recalling "memories".

The shakespeare quote is intriguing. Seems like it activates something in the hosts. Question is, who put it there and what does it do?

Not sure how I feel about this. It's creepy and unnerving. I don't think I like a single one of the characters so far. There are too many deliberate mysteries being portrayed to us. I'll stick with it but I hope it doesn't go the way of Lost or The Leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Not sure how I feel about this. It's creepy and unnerving. I don't think I like a single one of the characters so far. There are too many deliberate mysteries being portrayed to us. I'll stick with it but I hope it doesn't go the way of Lost or The Leftovers.

The leftovers is a very good to show

naughto wrote: »
    The leftovers is a very good to show

Not my cup of tea. It was constant mysterious nonsense with no explanation. I recall giving up after four episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The leftovers is Marmite you can tell very early on whether your into it or not, It basically had one big question which we were fairly certain we were never going to get the answer to. Westworld has alot more questions but we expect to get answers to all of them, this will definitely keep the majority of people more interested in the short term.

• Advertisement

The leftovers is Marmite you can tell very early on whether your into it or not, It basically had one big question which we were fairly certain we were never going to get the answer to. Westworld has alot more questions but we expect to get answers to all of them, this will definitely keep the majority of people more interested in the short term.

Marmite is sh1te.what day did this leak or was it for the trump Clinton debate that it was released early

Marmite is sh1te.what day did this leak or was it for the trump Clinton debate that it was released early

Probably the debate, I'd say we will have to wait till Sunday/Monday this week unfortunately

I have a theory that ....
    Westworld is not on Earth

... that I'm finding hard to shake because it makes so much sense.

[/SPOILER]

Very good call, It's slightly changed my perception of the show as that's how confident I am that you are correct. Makes way to much sense to be wrong, can't believe I didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

How could the guy not get the rope off his neck? He could have easily taken it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Very good call, It's slightly changed my perception of the show as that's how confident I am that you are correct. Makes way to much sense to be wrong, can't believe I didn't see it.

Now I'm even more convinced.
    India sent an orbiter to Mars recently and the first few photos were just released in the last week. I was looking at them on a space site and noticed this one :

mars1_zpslo6zz3me.jpg

Turn it round, make it negative to enhance the edges of the continental areas ........... and notice any similarities to the Delos globe in the show? Granted they're at slightly different angles to each other, but I still think it's a significant similarity.

ww3_zps35osi6kx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I have a theory that ....
    Westworld is not on Earth

... that I'm finding hard to shake because it makes so much sense.

- Reference to 'decompression' by one of the characters (space travel? underwater travel?)
    - How could any corporation lay claim to so much vast land for recreational use? Especially if there's other parks besides Westworld?
    - Nolan has referenced 'terraforming' being used to form the landscape in the park
    - In the pilot one of the characters mentions 'when do you get to rotate home again?' and another talks about getting leave, as if this isn't a workplace you can simply walk in and out of.
    - If set off Earth, the park is free from a myriad of legal and ethical restrictions relating to treatment of AIs
    - The name WestWorld takes on an entire new meaning. It literally is another world.

Not to mention this globe in the park sublevels. Those don't look like Earth continents.

https://i0.wp.com/media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ5C4D8E82-360x341.jpg

Weird, I'd pretty much taken that as a given, assumed everyone else had. :o

I had presumed it was a virtual world up this point, which doesn't make any sense now that I think about it. It would certainly be more cost efficient.

India sent an orbiter to Mars recently and the first few photos were just released in the last week. I was looking at them on a space site and noticed this one :

mars1_zpslo6zz3me.jpg

Turn it round, make it negative to enhance the edges of the continental areas ........... and notice any similarities to the Delos globe in the show? Granted they're at slightly different angles to each other, but I still think it's a significant similarity.

ww3_zps35osi6kx.jpg

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Is it really necessary to put spoiler tags on speculation and conjecture?

Not really I guess, I did it earlier to hide spoilers and some of these later posts stemmed from those so kept doing it. Sorry.

This show has being how long in the making, I can't see them having the time to change the set just to add in pics from mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

mars1_zpslo6zz3me.jpg

ww3_zps35osi6kx.jpg

If it was Mars, though, the lower gravity should be an issue

(Didn't stop those who made The Martian, but still...)

This show has being how long in the making, I can't see them having the time to change the set just to add in pics from mars.

You misunderstand me. There have been photos of Mars widely available since long before this show was envisioned. I just used the ones released last week to illustrate my point as I only noticed the similarity when viewing them.

If it was Mars, though, the lower gravity should be an issue

(Didn't stop those who made The Martian, but still...)

True, but given that this show expects us to believe in the existence of AI, sentient life forms identical to humans, the eradication of sickness/disease and the ability to terraform massive landscapes . . . . Believing they can also increase or decrease gravity isn't that much of a stretch.

You misunderstand me. There have been photos of Mars widely available since long before this show was envisioned. I just used the ones released last week to illustrate my point as I only noticed the similarity when viewing them.

Ah okay that makes a bit more sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭corkie

Westworld beats Game of Thrones and Fortitude to biggest Sky Atlantic debut

Westworld has become Sky Atlantic’s most successful new series debut, eclipsing both Game of Thrones and Fortitude in its first week.

A total of 1.84 million people have watched the sci-fi series since its launch on 4 October. The previous biggest series premiere on the channel, Fortitude, drew 1.74 million in its first week, and episode one season one of Game of Thrones was seen by 1.45 million.

Westworld is set in a hedonistic theme park populated by lifelike androids and is based on the 1973 film by Michael Crichton which starred Yul Brynner as a murderous robot cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

This is gonna be one of the weirdest things I've ever typed but: I don't trust the piano

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Because it's been drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

wp_rathead wrote: »
    This is gonna be one of the weirdest things I've ever typed but: I don't trust the piano

It's been beltin out some class tunes though. Although I actually thought Black Hole Sun was Crying by Roy Orbison, which wouldn't have been great..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very dark musical themes from the piano so far, no surprises caught me off guard I must say, damn show is nothing but surprises so far. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Just watched the original movie yesterday. Parts of it reminded me of Terminator a lot - I'd suspect James Cameron was inspired by it.

Just watched the original movie yesterday. Parts of it reminded me of Terminator a lot - I'd suspect James Cameron was inspired by it.

I watched it last weekend. Good build up, but the end was a little disappointing. Still works surprisingly well though. The only bits that looked really dated were the pinnacle of hi-tech computers as indicated by banks of lights and whirring tape reels.

MOH wrote: »
    banks of lights and whirring tape reels.

As often seen on Star Trek. The 'future' eh? Just goes to show, even now in 2016 it's still very hard to envision future technology without somehow invoking images of current technology to try and make it fit.

As often seen on Star Trek. The 'future' eh? Just goes to show, even now in 2016 it's still very hard to envision future technology without somehow invoking images of current technology to try and make it fit.

Oh yeah, wasn't knocking the decision to do it like that. Just surprised me that it's the only bit of the film that looked jarringly dated. I thought it would have looked worse overall.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think on a whole it's aged well. It's the futuristic technology depicted in films of that era which always dates them, more so even than the clothes, hairstyle or dialogue IMO - as you say, lots of flashing lights and tape reels. I wonder if movie fans decades from now will watch something like 2013's Oblivion with it's long glass touchscreen computers and think it equally old-fashioned

Advertisement