Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unplanned Pregnancy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

PucaMama wrote: »
    You talked about deceit by women and basically said you cant trust us not to get pregnant.
    As I said before by some women.
    I don't see anything wrong with men taking that risk on-board and factoring it in when dealing with women. Especially in encounters of a casual nature or those in the initial stages of a relationship.

Personally I've no problem taking an action which effects no-one else in any negative way, but that protects me from sponsoring someone else's lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

The advice is they should use contraception if they are so worried. It is in no way agreeing that women are not to be trusted. Maybe I wasnt clear enough.
    The thread is about those cases where trust is given but it turns out to have been unwarranted.
    The advice given (not necessarily by you, but by plenty of others) was that if you rubber up then you can't be trapped.

So a chap posts that's exactly what he does, but because this is based on a cynical view of some women he's in the wrong too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Henry9 wrote: »
    The thread is about those cases where trust is given but it turns out to have been unwarranted.
    The advice given (not necessarily by you, but by plenty of others) was that if you rubber up then you can't be trapped.

So a chap posts that's exactly what he does, but because this is based on a cynical view of some women he's in the wrong too?

I asked about his cynical view

Do you think what we are talking about never happens?

I prefer the term pragmatic.
    But I think we've covered it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mister R wrote: »
    I guess when hooking up with women in the "baby seeking" age group its best to be extra vigilant guys.

As a woman in that "baby seeking age group" (who most definitely doesn't want a baby), I wish all guys would be extra vigilant all the time. How many guys here have ever said "Aw, do I have to wear a condom, sure are you not on the pill?"

I've found it's easier not to let guys know that you are already using some form of contraception, because there are enough out there that immediately assume that absolves them of all responsibility if anything goes wrong.

Obviously once you're in a long term, committed relationship, it's something both people should discuss. Decide in advance if getting pregnant would be the end of the world or not. If it would, belt and braces. If you'd both rather not get pregnant just yet but would manage if it happened, then you can think of relying on just one method.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

efb wrote: »
    How many times? What did you do afterwards?

Twice, I didn't do anything, what was I supposed to do?

In both cases the women went for the morning after pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Twice, I didn't do anything, what was I supposed to do?

In both cases the women went for the morning after pill.

Check you are putting it on correctly, using correct lubricant and and perhaps getting stronger condoms. Durex Extra Safe I'd recommend if you find them breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

efb wrote: »
    Check you are putting it on correctly, using correct lubricant and and perhaps getting stronger condoms. Durex Extra Safe I'd recommend if you find them breaking

I was referring to the specific question you asked which is what did I do afterwards.

Now I have no idea if you're male or female but if you are male then you will know if a condom breaks there isn't a lot a fella can do after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was referring to the specific question you asked which is what did I do afterwards.

Now I have no idea if you're male or female but if you are male then you will know if a condom breaks there isn't a lot a fella can do after the event.

That's what you do to limit the chance of reoccurrence. You seemed to have the rest sorted tbf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Someone mentioned abortion...if women can get rid of an unwanted pregnancy, there is a genuine argument for men being able to opt out of paying support

Someone mentioned abortion...if women can get rid of an unwanted pregnancy, there is a genuine argument for men being able to opt out of paying support

Since abortion on demand is unavailable in Ireland that shouldn't be an issue.

Do you think what we are talking about never happens?

Not half as much as you think it does

Not yet...but it will soon follow

With any luck it wont.

• Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Not half as much as you think it does

How do you know how much I think it happens?
    And how do you know it happens <50% of that?
    At least we've got to the point where it's being acknowledged it happens at all.

How do you know how much I think it happens?
    And how do you know it happens <50% of that?
    At least we've got to the point where it's being acknowledged it happens at all.

How do you know yourself how often it happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

The fact it happens at all is a reason to be precautions. For example planes have life jackets but how often does a plane actually crash into water. Not a lot but precautions are still necessary regardless of the limited risk.

• Advertisement

Mister R wrote: »
    The fact it happens at all is a reason to be precautions. For example planes have life jackets but how often does a plane actually crash into water. Not a lot but precautions are still necessary regardless of the limited risk.

A plane having life jackets is a great thing buts its not the same as saying all women are deceitful.

A plane having life jackets is a great thing buts its not the same as saying all women are deceitful.
    Christ on a bike. Do you just read what you want to read?

Christ on a bike. Do you just read what you want to read?

I just resent this idea that women are to blame for unplanned pregnancy.

What idea? The only one saying that is you.

What idea? The only one saying that is you.

No read the thread again

No read the thread again
    Perhaps you'll supply a quote as a reference.

Perhaps you'll supply a quote as a reference.

How is this thread not blaming women? Ye certainly are not blaming men for any part of it.

You explicitly stated people have blamed women for unplanned pregnancies, where has it been stated?

People have been arguing the exact opposite, that men should take steps themselves to ensure unplanned pregnancies do not occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Funny thread.

"Thirtysomething year old succubi lure gormless dupes into unplanned fatherhood."

Devilish...

But I prefer Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

A couple of muppets have unprotected sex and then sit around scratching their heads, wondering what the hell happened. Didn't wear a condom is what happened.

• Advertisement

Funny thread.

"Thirtysomething year old succubi lure gormless dupes into unplanned fatherhood."

Devilish...

But I prefer Hanlon's Razor:

A couple of muppets have unprotected sex and then sit around scratching their heads, wondering what the hell happened. Didn't wear a condom is what happened.
    It might be funny, but you clearly didn't read it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement