Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unplanned Pregnancy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Henry9 wrote: »
    Not every instance. There just seems to be a lot of exceptions in the age bracket when time is of the essence.

1. I know plenty about it, often more than the woman I'm with at the time.
    2. If there was a religious nut posting the same advice in an abortion thread what would the response be?
    3. Oh right, a woman would never do that. It's my fault for even thinking of it. It's never ever ever happened.

1. Great not many do.
    2. Id give the same advice about abortion.
    3. Its not that women would never do it its that its wrong to go around expecting every woman to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

LittleFox wrote: »
    I can tell the difference thanks but it also reeks of as long as I don't have to wear a condom I don't care. Reproductive responsibility should not lay solely on the woman. I am on the pill, I take it perfectly but I have still discussed with partners what will happen should an accidental pregnancy occur. I'm 26 and would not be having an abortion. My partner either agrees with that or uses condoms. I have been ill before and knew there was a risk the pill wouldn't work and still have had partners willing to take the chance just so they don't have to wear a condom
    That's what i'm talking about, informed consent.

Of course I would have no sympathy in such a case as the guy knew there were substantial risks and chose to go ahead with it anyway.

Again, one more time, the issue is the deceit..

If someone is telling their partner that are using contraception that in all reasonable forms of use should be effective, when in fact they are not doing any such thing and are willfully lying to their partner in order to get pregnant.. This I have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

That's what i'm talking about, informed consent.

Of course I would have no sympathy in such a case as the guy knew there were substantial risks and chose to go ahead with it anyway.

Again, one more time, the issue is the deceit..

If someone is telling their partner that are using contraception that in all reasonable forms of use should be effective, when in fact they are not doing any such thing and are willfully lying to their partner in order to get pregnant.. This I have a problem with.
    Yes willful deceit I would have an issue with, but accidents do happen with the pill and those who would automatically jump to the conclusion that the woman tricked them should quite honestly not be having sex with that person and/or be using condoms until they feel pregnancy would not be the end of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Not every instance. There just seems to be a lot of exceptions in the age bracket when time is of the essence.

Do you have the stats to back this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Step up, take responsibility for your own contraception.

• Advertisement

No point arguing with this fembot logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have no doubt that there are women who trick men into being fathers, however I don't really feel much , sympathy for a man who really doesn't want to be a father, yet decides not to bother with a condom. I am embarrassed for the men making themselves victims here, yea these women lied, but as adult men you should have the sense to protect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

I must get on to Youth Defence and inform them their strategy is all wrong.
    This is the most Pro Life thread I've ever seen on boards.

I must get on to Youth Defence and inform them their strategy is all wrong.
    This is the most Pro Life thread I've ever seen on boards.

How is what anything anyone has said here youth defence worthy. All that's been said is if you don't want kids then take responsibility for your own reproductive protection

How us what anything anyone as said here youth defence worthy. All that's been said is if you don't want kids then take responsibility for your own reproductive protection
    That just there is YD worthy. If people did that there wouldn't be any need for abortion would there?
    Or do you think that every woman that has one was because the pill and a condom failed simultaneously?

Or is it just when a grievance is from a man's perspective that the issue is solved by 'taking responsibility' and 'accepting consequences'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Are the older women on the combined oral contraceptive pill or the progestogen-only pill (mini pill)?

A lot of women over 35, particularly smokers, cannot take the combined pill. The mini pill is less effective and only allows it to be taken 3 hours lates, as opposed to 12 with the combined pill.

Are the older women on the combined oral contraceptive pill or the progestogen-only pill (mini pill)?

A lot of women over 35, particularly smokers, cannot take the combined pill. The mini pill is less effective and only allows it to be taken 3 hours lates, as opposed to 12 with the combined pill.

This would be known if men done their research

That just there is YD worthy. If people did that there wouldn't be any need for abortion would there?
    Or do you think that every woman that has one was because the pill and a condom failed simultaneously?

Or is it just when a grievance is from a man's perspective that the issue is solved by 'taking responsibility' and 'accepting consequences'?

Would it be a bad thing if we wer all so responsible with contraception that abortion wasnt needed?

I'm pro choice if abortion is what someone wants then they should be able to access it. But if an abortion could be avoided through the use of condoms I think the majority of women would choose the condoms. The issue with a man choosing abortion over condoms is he is laying complete responsibility on the woman which is completely unfair.

PucaMama wrote: »
    Would it be a bad thing if we wer all so responsible with contraception that abortion wasnt needed?
    No, it would be an absolutely marvelous thing.

But to reiterate for the umpteenth time.
    1. I'm not talking about irresponsible unprotected sex. I'm taking about the cases when protection is believed to be used.
    2. If consequences are to be accepted they should be accepted across the board. Frame this conversation a different way and you know the opinion of a lot of female posters would flip 180 degrees.

The issue with a man choosing abortion over condoms is he is laying complete responsibility on the woman which is completely unfair.
    It's like talking to the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The pill isn't some magic 100% effective thing. Even aside from taking it correctly at the same time every day, things like antibiotics or straightforward illness can have an effect. Plus it's still got a perfect use failure rate
    rather scary that people would go out with women they clearly don't trust and not bother taking some responsibility as well
    accidents do happen but making it out to always be a conspiracy? Come on

1. I'm not talking about irresponsible unprotected sex. I'm taking about the cases when protection is believed to be used.
    2. If consequences are to be accepted they should be accepted across the board. Frame this conversation a different way and you know the opinion of a lot of female posters would flip 180 degrees.

No contraceptive is 100% by taking the pill it does not mean you are completely covered and this is a fact some men refuse to accept and therefore blame the woman if it fails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you anti abortion then?
    Logically the same argument applies there.

What logic exactly? That if you are idiotic enough to have sex without contraception a baby might happen? It's hardly a bloody revelation is it?

Before I wanted children when I was ON the pill I insisted the guy used a condom. Anyone who didn't was basically not getting any, and that was still the case in a 7 year relationship. We didn't want children, we protected ourselves, and guess what... Taadaa. No pregnancies.

If you want to go bareback because it feels better, and you STILL think an unexpected pregnancy is not your own fault, sorry, you're just not very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

If more men put condoms on they would have less to worry about in the baby department. That is how simple it is. If you don't want a baby, regardless of the woman sayi g one thing or another, wear a condom.... Hey presto, ya won't have a baby......

It's not just women that might do this, men intentionally get women pregnant... Infact it wasn't so long ago on this delightful island it was illegal for women to use contraception... In a few years it is suggested that there are all these apbaby hungry cougars just dyng to steal ya perm of some poor guy who obviously didn't study too hard at biology.......

• Advertisement

What kind of pill was it? I asked in post #42. I know women who became pregnant with an IUD. They had children already and were devastated.

There may be instances where women do this deliberately, but there are cases where women do not want to be pregnant. An unplanned pregnancy is difficult for both men and women. A lot of women also haven't had children by their late thirties simply because they don't want them.

In what way are women not accepting consequences? Are we not the ones pregnant?

efb wrote: »
    Step up, take responsibility for your own contraception.

Oh I will alright, I'll follow the advice of the women of boards and simply not trust women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Oh I will alright, I'll follow the advice of the women of boards and simply not trust women.

I'm not a woman wanna take my advice?

A question for the men here:

The OP seems to think that women deliberately get pregnant and dupe their partners by pretending to be taking the pill. If this is a widespread phenomenon and men are aware of it, why do they believe these women?

Would they not think ''yeah right'' and use a condom anyway?

PucaMama wrote: »
    In what way are women not accepting consequences? Are we not the ones pregnant?
    Having a termination because you don't want a baby is avoiding consequences no?
    We're all for people accepting the consequences of their actions now right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The fact of the matter is that there are some unplanned pregnancies that aren't unplanned but as others have said, no contraceptive is 100% garaunteed so if either party, either men or women are worried about a pregnancy happening then its up to them and them alone to be as protected as possible.

It's not rocket science FFS.

efb wrote: »
    I'm not a woman wanna take my advice?

What you are has no bearing on my statement.

Having a termination because you don't want a baby is avoiding consequences no?
    We're all for people accepting the consequences of their actions now right?

Have I not previously said that I dont believe in abortion because she just happened to get pregnant?

And calling it a termination instead of abortion makes it no less vile

• Advertisement

A question for the men here:

The OP seems to think that women deliberately get pregnant and dupe their partners by pretending to be taking the pill. If this is a widespread phenomenon and men are aware of it, why do they believe these women?

Would they not think ''yeah right'' and use a condom anyway?
    Are women not to be trusted? Should I assume they are all untrustworthy?
    What if you trust someone and that trust is misplaced?
    When a man is questioned by his girlfriend/wife for rubbering up, should he tell her he doesn't trust her?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement