Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Geuze wrote: »
    Discus,

earlier in this thread, I think, I posted Enniskillen prices, April 2014.

However, I also posted Belfast prices, May 2014, somewhere.

These will be a better comparator for Dublin.

Was there much difference between them?

Those Belfast prices like pretty much the same as Bangor (North Wales) AFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

When is it opening in blackrock ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

s8n wrote: »
    When is it opening in blackrock ?

Next tuesday afaik

I presumed kegs of beer and bottles of spirits / wine could simply be added to existing orders from UK suppliers, exported from the UK ex-duty, and then add RoI duty??

So JDW could get the same low cost due to bulk purchasing as they do in the UK, and then add RoI duty.

They obviously haven't gone down this route though, otherwise they'd just sell Guinness (which they sell in the UK), they seem to be buying directly from suppliers in Ireland (at least in part anyway).

I thought they'd just add Ireland to their UK distribution network as they did in the north but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not for Beamish and Murphy's.

Could it be that their contract with Deigeo in the UK prohibits them from importing Guinness for the Irish market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Seaneh wrote: »
    Could it be that their contract with Deigeo in the UK prohibits them from importing Guinness for the Irish market?

I presume that must be the case, and so would help explain why JDW here are dealing with Diagoe RoI.

Guinness Ireland Ltd (Diageo Ireland) would have the exclusive rights for distribution of Guinness, Smithwicks and other deigio products produced in James Gate in the Irish Republic, I'd say this is where the issue lies.

While Deigeo are the parent company and control the UK market directly, Guinness Ireland is a separate company (although wholly owned by Deigeo) and I'd say it's Guinness Ireland who are playing hard ball.

If JDW came in and worked out an agreement to get the beer for x price which let them sell it for substantially less than everyone else in Ireland it would cause the artificially high price of Guinness to fall pretty quickly as the other chains in the country (and there are a few!) would be straight onto their reps to demand the same price, I know I would anyway.

JDW in the UK sell Guinness for in and around the same price as everywhere else, or not a whole lot less. Guinness in Wales ranges from £3 to about £3.50, so JDW aren't selling it as a massive discount compared to anywhere else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I don't give a damn about the price, but Murphy's is just nasty stuff. Their fundamental lack of care about their own product was proved years ago in England when it was brewed under licence by Whitbread, badly.

I think Murphy's stout is great. Their red ale is poor but I certainly wouldn't feel the loss of Guinness. I can't comment on the Whitbread version.

Beamish can be had for less than €3.95 pretty much anywhere in Dublin though, including lots of places in the city centre. That being said, I won't be heading to Spoons for pints of Beamish.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    That being said, I won't be heading to Spoons for pints of Beamish.

This x 1000000

I'd be hoping for something interesting on cask or a can of something by Sixpoint. The last thing I'd bother buying is something I can already easily find in Dublin.
    And with them saying already they will be doing Irish craft on cask I'm looking forward to popping out to Blackrock in the near future.

Boards investigative missions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Beamish can be had for less than €3.95 pretty much anywhere in Dublin though, including lots of places in the city centre.

Really ?

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    Really ?

I've definitely seen it for €3.80 somewhere in the city centre, but for the life of me can't remember where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

This x 1000000

I'd be hoping for something interesting on cask or a can of something by Sixpoint.

Bengali for 3.50?

http://fft.ie/index.php/2595/jd-wetherspoon-releases-details-on-blackrock-outlet-opening-hours-and-price-list/

symbolic wrote: »

You couldn't say no to that, in fairness! The cask ales are a decent price too, I'd expect a good rotation of cask too, those will be the "house" cask ales but there will be a few guest taps I'd say.

Food prices aren't half bad either.

I'd be hopeful of the six point's being on offer for multiples. It's £3 each in the UK but £5 for two so hopefully there's savings if you buy two in Ireland as well.

They are actually £1.99 each on special for the summer, wouldn't be surprised if they were around €3 for the summer in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lots of the early houses have it - Ned's (€3.60) and the Windjammer (€3.80), for example. The Oval does for less than €3.95 as well, if I recall correctly.

When I say pretty much anywhere I mean anywhere that serves Beamish. Important distinction!

The menu is confusing, the "includes a drink" sign in the UK means that the price listed includes a drink, it seems here it gives with a price sans drink and then another price with a drink.

Would it not be easier to have a sign saying "add a drink for €2" and only list 1 price?

The menu is confusing, the "includes a drink" sign in the UK means that the price listed includes a drink, it seems here it gives with a price sans drink and then another price with a drink.

Would it not be easier to have a sign saying "add a drink for €2" and only list 1 price?

Well its price with a soft drink and price with an alcoholic drink.

The prices are good for the stuff I'm interested in, for sure. It'll be a tough decision between the Tetley's Smooth Flow and the cask ales though.

Well its price with a soft drink and price with an alcoholic drink.

In the UK "includes a drink" means it includes either, and there is just 1 price listed, that's why it's confusing.

The prices are good for the stuff I'm interested in, for sure. It'll be a tough decision between the Tetley's Smooth Flow and the cask ales though.

Can't see the tetley being a big siller tbh...

I have waited so long to see a JDW menu in Irl.

I'll develop my comments later.

• Advertisement

In the UK "includes a drink" means it includes either, and there is just 1 price listed, that's why it's confusing.

Maybe cause I am not overly familiar with the UK menu, but I didn't find it in anyway confusing. Pretty straight forward in fact haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Be worth a boards drinkies in it?

Can't see the tetley being a big siller tbh...

My point exactly. It will be the only place selling it in Ireland, I'd say.

Maybe cause I am not overly familiar with the UK menu, but I didn't find it in anyway confusing. Pretty straight forward in fact haha :)

I dunno, "includes a drink" and the icon says alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

On the UK menu's that icon means any draught, cask or craft beer or glass of wine or a spirit and mixer or any soft drink.

My point exactly. It will be the only place selling it in Ireland, I'd say.

I don't think they will carry it for very long...

I dunno, "includes a drink" and the icon says alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

On the UK menu's that icon means any draught, cask or craft beer or glass of wine or a spirit and mixer or any soft drink.

Ah fair enough, I guess if they get a lot of questions they could look to changing it up.

A good initial menu anyway.

It's the 3.50 bottles of 8 degrees that confuses me :) how is this possible?

Dogfish Head DNA - is this from the UK or USA?

Kingfisher 660ml bottles - has this size ever been served in a pub in RoI?

This is priced at 2.50 per 33cl - very good value.

Bottle of wine starting from 17.25 - I expected a lower price. Mind you RoI excise on wine has jumped a lot recently.

Whiskey - I'm disappointed with the prices here, IDL must have driven a tough deal.

Dogfish Head DNA - is this from the UK or USA?

It's not actually a Dogfish Head beer, it's a colaberation with a UK brewery and brewed in the UK, it's also not great, but I've never had it on draught though so might work better in that format.

Apparently the UK brewed kegged Shipyard IPA is a lot better than the bottled american version Tesco used to stock here so I'll give that a try too.

Gin and tonic for 4.50, I think - very good deal for Dublin.

Vodka plus mixed for 4.50 - I expect this to be a massive seller??

Hennessy VS cognac cheaper than standard Irish whiskey - is this unusual?

Paddy / Powers / Jameson = 5.50 - what is the story here?

How much are these in Dublin pubs? I think they are 4.00-4.20 where I am.

• Advertisement

Gin and tonic for 4.50, I think - very good deal for Dublin.

Vodka plus mixed for 4.50 - I expect this to be a massive seller??

Hennessy VS cognac cheaper than standard Irish whiskey - is this unusual?

Paddy / Powers / Jameson = 5.50 - what is the story here?

How much are these in Dublin pubs? I think they are 4.00-4.20 where I am.

The whiskey is very much on the high end of the price scale, even by Dublin standards.

Advertisement