Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, that's what I thought.

No Bushmills to compete as supplier didn't help, I guess.

Also, no "double-up" offer, that's 1.50stg more in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The whiskey prices are ok if you drink them with a mixer, not great value if you like neat whiskey. I had high hopes for wetherspoons, I'm a tad disappointed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm pretty happy, the stuff I'd be bothered enough to drink there is very keenly priced.

€3.50 for Bengali tiger is better than you'd get for a can of comparable beer in offies in Ireland!

And sub €4 casks with 4.25 Irish craft cask is excellent!

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy, the stuff I'd be bothered enough to drink there is very keenly priced.

€3.50 for Bengali tiger is better than you'd get for a can of comparable beer in offies in Ireland!

And sub €4 casks with 4.25 Irish craft cask is excellent!

Yes.

The Irish guest ales at 4.25, these would be comparable to maybe the GBB house beers? Full Sail / stout / red ale

GBB house beers are 4.55 in Galway. In Dublin they are what? 5.00?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    GBB house beers are 4.55 in Galway. In Dublin they are what? 5.00?
    €5.10 for the ones that are €4.55 in Galway.

It remains to be seen whether any Irish cask ale ever appears. Franciscan Well might be the only cask ale brewer willing to play ball.

• Advertisement

The prices for some bottles shows how much bad value there is out there.

Goose Island IPA

JDW = 3.50
    GBB Against the Grain = 5.70

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/beermenu/beermenu-againstthegrain.pdf

Knockmealdown Porter

JDW = 3.50
    GBB Dublin = 5.60

BeerNut wrote: »
    €5.10 for the ones that are €4.55 in Galway.

It remains to be seen whether any Irish cask ale ever appears. Franciscan Well might be the only cask ale brewer willing to play ball.

I'm sure they have their bases covered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Because we all considered bottled beer in the pub such a bargain before?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Goose Island IPA

JDW = 3.50
    GBB Against the Grain = 5.70

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/beermenu/beermenu-againstthegrain.pdf

Knockmealdown Porter

JDW = 3.50
    GBB Dublin = 5.60

Bottles are arbitrarily high in price in most pubs, as we know.

You'd easily pay €3ish for a bottle of Goose Island in Redmond's or the like as well.

As BeerNut suggests, it will be interesting to see what Irish cask beers they get in. Perhaps they'll get some in from Northern Ireland, much like Marks and Spencer with its (Northern) Irish milk.

I'd never pay 5.70 for a bottle of for Knockmealdown tbh, €3.50 is good value but they must have no margin on it though, it's about €2-€2.50 in offies here.

As for the Goose Island, that's not really something you can pin on GBB, it's about that price in every pub that sells it here, Goose Island IPA and Honkers sell for about 3.25 in offies here!

• Advertisement

If the Knockmealdown porter has to travel from Cork(?) to Dublin in a truck, to be delivered to Dublin pubs close to each other, then any difference in prices in two pubs in Dublin must be down to better deals due to volume or different retail margins??

That seems to be correct.

If GBB have 8 pubs, then they have more clout / purchasing power than a typical pub.

Yet JDW, with just one pub open so far, plus one due to open in Cork, can undercut GBB by 2.10 per bottle.

How, I wonder?

If the Knockmealdown porter has to travel from Cork(?) to Dublin in a truck, to be delivered to Dublin pubs close to each other, then any difference in prices in two pubs in Dublin must be down to better deals due to volume or different retail margins??

That seems to be correct.

If GBB have 8 pubs, then they have more clout / purchasing power than a typical pub.

Yet JDW, with just one pub open so far, plus one due to open in Cork, can undercut GBB by 2.10 per bottle.

How, I wonder?

I don't know who distributes 8degress in Ireland so I honestly have no idea but I doubt GBB sell enough of their beers to get bulk discounts. Most of their bars don't sell any 8 degrees beers besides the odd tap.

I doubt JDW are getting any big bulk discount, just taking a massive hit on margains because they know they will make up for it on lagers/spirits/food.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A timely reminder that there is a Galway Bay pub just three hundred metres from the new Wetherspoons. I have often frequented The Dark Horse, as I've been willing to pay an extra couple of euro for the variety of beers on offer and like what GBB have done for craft beer in Ireland, but will find it very hard to justify eating or drinking there in future, with significant savings per pint/per meal just a few hundred metres away. Tough times ahead for The Dark Horse.

A timely reminder that there is a Galway Bay pub just three hundred metres from the new Wetherspoons. I have often frequented The Dark Horse, as I've been willing to pay an extra couple of euro for the variety of beers on offer and like what GBB have done for craft beer in Ireland, but will find it very hard to justify eating or drinking there in future, with significant savings per pint/per meal just a few hundred metres away. Tough times ahead for The Dark Horse.

GBB's food prices are stupidly over priced.

€15 burgers are taking the piss.

Their specials are always atrocious as well.

The only bar they run I've ever been impressed with food wise is The Cottage in Salthill.

Which is a shame because I used to love Mustard (their old restaurant) in Galway.

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/menu/dark-horse-dinner-menu.pdf

I'm not defending them, but steak burger is 12.50 on this menu.

Fish and chunky chips for 14.50 is too dear, 10-12 would be enough.

JDW have large cod + chips = 9.95.

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/menu/dark-horse-dinner-menu.pdf

I'm not defending them, but steak burger is 12.50 on this menu.

Nope, fair point. I was wrong.

It's still excessive for a burger, it's minced beef, bread, chips and a salad.

Also, using "steak" mince (lean mince) for a burger is ridiculous, you end up with a dry burger as the fat content is far too low.

€14 fish and chips, maybe that's what I remember being stupidly over priced.

Anyway, besides the price, the food is just not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I got a bleedin deadly Coddle for a tenner in the BD on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The cost of 3.50 for a bottle of 8 degrees is going to be interesting as Spoons expand out to the 30 unites they are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

In before the Vintners call for a levy on drinks consumed in Spoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Seaneh wrote: »
    I don't know who distributes 8degress in Ireland so I honestly have no idea but I doubt GBB sell enough of their beers to get bulk discounts. Most of their bars don't sell any 8 degrees beers besides the odd tap.

I doubt JDW are getting any big bulk discount, just taking a massive hit on margains because they know they will make up for it on lagers/spirits/food.

Exactly. Also, it hs to be remembered that 8 Degrees might not be able to offer bulk discounts simply because they aren't brewing in massive quantities anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    In before the Vintners call for a levy on drinks consumed in Spoons.

They're going to have a field day.

yeah, there'll be some amount of whingers and gripers all over the radio in the coming days.

"It's teddible Joe"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aboutime

Was really looking forward to Weatherspoons opening in Blackrock,but just found out it doesn't have Smirnoff!!! Or Guinness!!
    Though it does sell Guinness and steak pie ;)
    I predict what will happen is the locals will go in out of curiosity ,then it will draw lots of hens,stags,students .The locals will go Ape.
    The Dark Horse sells Guinness,so it will be a one off for me in The four Ts .
    That's another prediction of mine,the name will be shortened to Fourties.

The Dark Horse sells Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Bit disappointed with the prices. Significantly more expensive than the UK, Wine is twice the price for the same product is up north. Thought they could have gone a bit lower. The drink with your meal for €2 extra takes the sting out of the tail a bit, and the curry/steak evenings are good value. Be interesting to see how they fare on the quality of the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Too far away to visit but the six point and brooklyn price points are good. I welcome more weatherspoon pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The Dark Horse sells Guinness?

Yep and a few other drinks you wouldn't get in other GB pubs, which suits me tbh as its local and herself doesn't have to stare at the drinks menu all night figuring out what she'd drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Good price for Red Breast 12, think I paid €8.20 in Brew Dock last week.

• Advertisement

Some comments on soft drinks:

Coca-cola 200ml bottles = 1.50 - this seems like good value, are they usually maybe 2.40-2.60??

Ballygowan 500ml bottle = 1.75 - the bottles are usually 250ml, are they? So this is good value.

Club Orange/lemon 220ml = 2.25 - why so much dearer than Coca-Cola?

Pepsi 398ml glass - very odd serving size, this seems to be syrup gun.

Advertisement