Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Heroditas wrote: »
    Gotta love how a pint of Doombar is cheaper in NI than a bottle of it in my local Eurospar in Lucan!

It's cheaper for me to get a pint of ale in spoons in Derry than to go next door into Tesco and get a bottle(which is only 500ml too).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gotta love how a pint of Doombar is cheaper in NI than a bottle of it in my local Eurospar in Lucan!

Doom Bar isn't particularly cheap in bottles here either. (£2.15 in my nearest Sainsburys Local)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Sixpoint beers are £1.99 each for the summer... Oh lawdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More news on JDW takeovers in today's Sindo.

More news on JDW takeovers in today's Sindo.

To be honest it sounds like nonsense from the sindo, none of those pubs would be the type of pub 'spoons run. They don't do nightclubs or disco bars, which is what all of them are.

I'd imagine they are actively looking at just about everything on the market given their plans for the next few years but I'd be taking this story with a massive pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Quite possibly a load of BS. On the other hand - who is to say that they would keep the club parts, etc going? Maybe they are more interested in the city center locations & the size of the premises rather than running them as they are now?

Quite possibly a load of BS. On the other hand - who is to say that they would keep the club parts, etc going? Maybe they are more interested in the city center locations & the size of the premises rather than running them as they are now?

That's true enough I guess. Buy 'em, gut 'em, relaunch 'em, like the did with Tonic is a possibility.

They'd fit plenty of seating and a kitchen in all of them no hassle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Cafe en Seine has loads of seating and a kitchen already. While I hate the place with a vengeance, the interior is stunning.
    I'd hate to think somewhere like that would be gutted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Of the four, Howl At The Moon seems to me to be the one most likely to become a Wetherspoon, though The George certainly has the floorspace. I see The Globe recently changed hands -- there's another one that might work as a Wetherspoon, assuming Ri-Ra is part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In post 450, I listed some prices from JDW in Enniskillen, April 2014.

For your information, here is a selection of prices from Wetherspoon Belfast, based on a visit during May 2014.

As the first JDW in RoI will open in Dublin and Cork, then Belfast city prices may be a better indicator of Dublin prices, than prices in Enniskillen.

All prices in stg.
    Note that VAT on drink in Ireland is 23%, vs 20% in UK, but VAT on food in Ireland is lower at 9% vs 20% in UK.

Draught beer
    Greene King IPA 4.1% 2.05
    Abbot ale 5% 2.15
    guest ales 2.40
    Guinness 4.1% 2.99

Carlsberg 3.8% 2.35
    Stella 4.8% 3.35
    Heineken 5.0% 2.89

plus more lagers on menu, all between 2.35-3.35

Spirits

Gin = 2.40 with free tonic, 4 choices - this seems very good value

Vodka = 3.50-3.75, 4 choices

Bushmills = 2.20
    Bushmills 10yr = 2.20
    Bells = 2.80
    Jameson = 3.55

Double spirit, 70ml according to menu, for 1.50 extra

So for 3.90 you get a double gin and tonic, that's under 5 euro - unreal value

A double Jameson is 5.05 stg.

I paid 3.70stg for a double Bushmills 10yr-old single malt

Northern Ireland "craft beer" selection = 3.05 - at least 10 bottles available

Other beer, bottled
    Newcastle Brown ale = 2.70
    Staropramen = 2.89
    Erdinger = 2.89
    Tyskie Gronie = 2.89
    Leffe = 2.99

BrewDog Punk IPA 330ml = 2.89
    Brooklyn lager 355ml = 2.89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've been in loads of Wetherspoons and I can't think of a pub more suited to the Wetherspoons brand in central dub than Cafe En Seine. This will introduce real competition into the overpriced hole that is currently Dawson Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cafe en Seine has loads of seating and a kitchen already. While I hate the place with a vengeance, the interior is stunning.

It's not original though, they built it, so it's mostly cheap wood with varnish, plastic props and brass. Same as what used to be Zanzibar on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's not original though, they built it, so it's mostly cheap wood with varnish, plastic props and brass. Same as what used to be Zanzibar on the quays.

Ah Zanzibar. Remember when Zanzibar was cool?

I do, I remember standing at a bar that was 6 deep with people and the barmen only serving young wans with their tits hanging out. It was then that I'd leave Zanz and Ja Rule and head around to Pravda for Polish Lager and The Smiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I do, I remember standing at a bar that was 6 deep with people and the barmen only serving young wans with their tits hanging out. It was then that I'd leave Zanz and Ja Rule and head around to Pravda for Polish Lager and The Smiths.

The way you said that almost makes it sound like a bad thing.......:rolleyes:

Pravda too, nealy forgot about that. That corner of town was pretty hip for about 18months-2years. Then it all went a bit skangery.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was then that I'd leave Zanz and Ja Rule and head around to Pravda for Polish Lager and The Smiths.

Ah, Pravda. The Polish/Russian theme bar that served just 3 vodkas; Smirnoff, Hussar and Smirnoff Blue :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ah, Pravda. The Polish/Russian theme bar that served just 3 vodkas
    Really? theres a pic here and I can at least spot a bottle of stoli

442241.jpg

I expect loads of tourist guinness fans come to Ireland hoping to try out loads of stouts and just see the pitiful 1 on offer in most pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@ rubadub

No beer either? :D

Pravda too, nealy forgot about that. That corner of town was pretty hip for about 18months-2years.

Yep, back in 97-98!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what's there now? also wasn't there a thin bar going downstairs just down from it called Joe Bananas or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

so it's mostly cheap wood with varnish, plastic props and brass.

A perfect icon of the septic tiger.

Skerries wrote: »
    what's there now? also wasn't there a thin bar going downstairs just down from it called Joe Bananas or something?

Zanzibar? Didn't it become a Bondi Beach venue for a while?
    It closed at least 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

rubadub wrote: »

I expect loads of tourist guinness fans come to Ireland hoping to try out loads of stouts and just see the pitiful 1 on offer in most pubs.

I don't think so at all - I think most tourists are quite content with the one on offer.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I don't think so at all
    I've certainly met them, and got e-mails from prospective visitors wanting to know where to get the best Irish stouts. In fairness it's a lot easier to answer them now than it was a few years ago, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was for a while, yeah. It and a site behind it was sold off for some manner of a hotel development that never seemed to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is it not still open as The Grand Social?

It was for a while, yeah. It and a site behind it was sold off for some manner of a hotel development that never seemed to get going.
    I remember pricing the work for that, huge development. There was a bus station/depot among other things, incorporated into the lower floors if memory serves me correctly.

Pravda is the Grand Social, not Zanzibar.

Pravda/GS in on Liffey Street beside those women knitting, Zanzibar is around the corner on the actual quays

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pravda is the Grand Social, not Zanzibar.

Pravda/GS in on Liffey Street beside those women knitting, Zanzibar is around the corner on the actual quays

Sorry yeah I knew that, for some unknown reason (tiredness) I was thinking we were still talking about Pravda even though the bit I quoted clearly stated "Zanzibar"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Geuze wrote: »
    In post 450, I listed some prices from JDW in Enniskillen, April 2014.

For your information, here is a selection of prices from Wetherspoon Belfast, based on a visit during May 2014.

As the first JDW in RoI will open in Dublin and Cork, then Belfast city prices may be a better indicator of Dublin prices, than prices in Enniskillen.

All prices in stg.
    Note that VAT on drink in Ireland is 23%, vs 20% in UK, but VAT on food in Ireland is lower at 9% vs 20% in UK.

Draught beer
    Greene King IPA 4.1% 2.05
    Abbot ale 5% 2.15
    guest ales 2.40
    Guinness 4.1% 2.99

Carlsberg 3.8% 2.35
    Stella 4.8% 3.35
    Heineken 5.0% 2.89

plus more lagers on menu, all between 2.35-3.35

Spirits

Gin = 2.40 with free tonic, 4 choices - this seems very good value

Vodka = 3.50-3.75, 4 choices

Bushmills = 2.20
    Bushmills 10yr = 2.20
    Bells = 2.80
    Jameson = 3.55

Double spirit, 70ml according to menu, for 1.50 extra

So for 3.90 you get a double gin and tonic, that's under 5 euro - unreal value

A double Jameson is 5.05 stg.

I paid 3.70stg for a double Bushmills 10yr-old single malt

Northern Ireland "craft beer" selection = 3.05 - at least 10 bottles available

Other beer, bottled
    Newcastle Brown ale = 2.70
    Staropramen = 2.89
    Erdinger = 2.89
    Tyskie Gronie = 2.89
    Leffe = 2.99

BrewDog Punk IPA 330ml = 2.89
    Brooklyn lager 355ml = 2.89

Are they pints of 440/500/??
    Are the spirits British measures, while VAT is different so is duty, minimum wage, rates, rent, utilities etc. So you can't do a direct conversion

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Are they pints of 440/500/?
    They have to be pints. It's illegal to sell draught beer in the UK in 440 or 500ml serves. Spirit measures in Northern Ireland are the same as here.

Advertisement