Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

*shrugs*

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

We should organise a Beers beers in Spoons when it opens in celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

rubadub wrote: »
    I have heard some awful nonsense from reps too, marketing people are prone to talking utter shite, many have no real knowledge of the things they actually sell.

Was it a rep who informed you that beer past its best before date will "rot the brain and turn idiots into complete f*@kwits."

lol, nothing to do with marketing, just what I have seen and heard myself, and maybe your experiences of experts in an industry are different to mine.

I saw the idiocy myself, we had a wspoons not far from one of our premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

monkeynuz wrote: »
    lol, nothing to do with marketing, just what I have seen and heard myself, and maybe your experiences of experts in an industry are different to mine.
    I would love to hear any more facts you heard from these experts
    So do you believe if the beer had been sold before its best before date there would have been no trouble? or just a bit less trouble?

Are there any other foods we should be wary of? €2 shops often sell stuff past its best before date, which is perfectly legal to do. Some supermarkets do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever seen a beer with a "consume by" or "use by" date, I could imagine some oddball beer might, but I have never seen it nor would I expect to see it on any of the big selling ones in wetherspoons.

Have recently heard such a rumour about JDW. All I can say is if it's true, then please keep up the policy, as most of their ales are delicious - a far cry from some of the utter dishwater served up (sometimes) in some Dublin pubs serving real cask ale - and I'd also include the RDS festival, where 2 years ago the heat made a lot of the stuff on offer undrinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I remember back in the 1970s there was a story in the publicans' trade magazine about some fishermen in the North Sea who 'caught' a barrel of Watneys which had been sitting at the bottom of the sea for over 10 years. They brought it ashore and the local Watney's rep. was on the ball, he provided the tapping equipment in a mobile unit, lots of tankards, invited the local press along and milked the story for all it was worth. Turned out that the beer was perfectly drinkable, in part because the temperature was absolutely constant at the bottom of the sea.

They wouldn't be allowed touch the stuff nowadays of course because of 'elf & safety and all that mullarkey but it proved that beer has a very long shelf life and is unlikely to do you any harm well past it's 'best by' date. Beer is relatively acidic and is full of carbon dioxide so it's not a happy breeding ground for the bugs that break down regular food and drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

coylemj wrote: »
    They wouldn't be allowed touch the stuff nowadays of course because of 'elf & safety

Ah they probably would. Have seen best before dates of 20 and 30 years into the future on certain styles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

nzj6e1.jpg

Called in after work to try the new Sixpoint cans in 'spoons. Sweet Action is delicious, it's described as a "part pale, part wheat, part cream ale" and it's really, really good. Very fresh hop aroma off it and goes down a little too easy in fact. They've a lager too which is grand but my lager drinking friend said it was the best he'd ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nice blog post on JDW by beer blogger Tandleman:

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.ie/2014/03/friend-or-foe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

irish_goat wrote: »
    nzj6e1.jpg

Called in after work to try the new Sixpoint cans in 'spoons. Sweet Action is delicious, it's described as a "part pale, part wheat, part cream ale" and it's really, really good. Very fresh hop aroma off it and goes down a little too easy in fact. They've a lager too which is grand but my lager drinking friend said it was the best he'd ever had.

Bring on the 'Spoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

irish_goat wrote: »
    nzj6e1.jpg

Just wondering what price the crisp lager is?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Can't get my head round canned beer - never really tried one before that I liked, but willing to give this one a spin if I see it in JDs

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

upforit101 wrote: »
    Just wondering what price the crisp lager is?
    Thanks

Two for a fiver, I think £2.89 each.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chelon wrote: »
    never really tried one before that I liked
    It seems to have been a bit of a vicious circle in this part of the world: producers and importers think people won't drink full-flavoured beer from cans so the only beers available in cans have been the lower quality ones. BrewDog seem to be the ones who finally stood up and said stop the nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Can't get my head round canned beer - never really tried one before that I liked, but willing to give this one a spin if I see it in JDs

In America a vast amount of popular craft beers come in cans as well as bottles. They taste the same and are usually slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

no more trips to the bottle bank either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I really enjoyed the Modus Hoperandi cans I got in Drinkstore for Christmas. And the Punk IPA in cans are good too.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

Irish website now live, but with little details.

Open at 8am???

Food until 11pm - that is late.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    Food until 11pm - that is late.
    The joy of the fast food model: food just has to be assembled and heated by the staff rather than prepared from scratch by a chef, as in most pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't know if it's been mentioned here already but than link gives details of one opening in Cork too.

Paul Street Plaza, Cork City Centre, Co. Cork. Place formerly known as Newport Café.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Geuze wrote: »
    Open at 8am???
    For all your 1,500 calorie breakfast needs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

BeerNut wrote: »
    The joy of the fast food model: food just has to be assembled and heated by the staff rather than prepared from scratch by a chef, as in most pubs.

Done in more pubs that you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What happened to the posts between the 7th and 13th?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jays they fairly expect you to work for your money!! :eek:

http://www.wetherspoonjobs.ie/recruitment/vacancyView.php?requirementId=76926

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I was just rummaging through my receipts from when I was up in Derry at the weekend there and came across my one from sunday lunch in Wetherspoons.

Four huge roast dinners (two of them were childrens' but were easily big enough for adults), two pints of beer, two smoothies, two large (and gorgeous) desserts and a coffee came to £26.31 or €31.47. Roasts were nothing special, but what do you expect for £6 (plus a free pint).

Bring it on in the ROI. I for one will be able to afford to eat out again on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I heard a ridiculous rumor that they are looking at 'Loughreys Pub' in Tullamore, it would be a perfect premises mind, its with the receivers at the moment, its quite big, has a kitchen and the building is less than 10 years old. I just can't see them taking a punt in a town like Tullamore, I hope I'm wrong but as I'm from here , a news article on it closing down last march http://www.offalyindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/03/28/4015128-loughreys-of-tullamore-calls-time/
    Another link with some pics of the joint http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/county-offaly/tullamore/hotels/loughreys-hostel
    Looks like I wasn't that far of the mark http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/39387/wetherspoons-show-interest-in-acquiring-tullamore-pub/

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Shoddy journalism (you can tell that as soon as the journo admits they're cruising online forums). Wetherspoons have been looking at lots and lots of pubs. Basically if it's up for sale they've looked at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tube wrote: »
    Shoddy journalism (you can tell that as soon as the journo admits they're cruising online forums). Wetherspoons have been looking at lots and lots of pubs. Basically if it's up for sale they've looked at it.

That's a bit harsh - JDW did confirm that they had 'looked at' the premises in Tullamore and regardless of how vague that may be, at least the local journo spoke to them and didn't simply make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

None in Galway :(

For your information, here is a selection of prices from Wetherspoon Enniskillen, based on a visit during April 2014.

All prices in stg.

Draught beer
    Guinness 265

Carlsberg 3.8% 205
    Stella 299
    Heineken 5.0% 269

Ruddles ale 175
    Abbot ale 5.0% 215
    Adnam's Broadside 210
    Sharp's Doom Bar 225

Spirits

Gin = 2.20 with free tonic, 4 choices - this seems very good value

Bells = 250
    Malts = 305 - 3 choices
    Jameson = 325

Double spirit, 70ml according to menu, for 1.00 extra

So for 3.20 you get a double gin and tonic, that's under 4 euro - unreal value

A double Jameson is 4.25, that's under 5.50 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Gotta love how a pint of Doombar is cheaper in NI than a bottle of it in my local Eurospar in Lucan!

Advertisement