Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

Currently trying to build up a new musical library after having migrated from Spotify to YouTube music... This thread is fantastic for ideas via John Creedon.

Just looked up Ramblin Jack Elliott on Wiki after JC played him. Can't believe he's still alive, he always seemed like a man of a bygone era, even when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

ATNM Have a listen to the dialogue at the start of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

After watching that, I ended up binging on Steve Goodman and John Prine.

G'night y'awll.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Celebrate. This party's over. I'm going home.

Last track on my the funeral playlist.

Add ‘Mary’ by The Four Of Us to your playlist. :)

Starting with two from Blood Sweat And Tears!

:)

• Advertisement

Who's in the box from (tomorrow?) night onwards? I'd have thought JC isn't off on holiday until the weekend, but I'm sure he said he was off after Thursday.

I like Fiachna but I reckon Lillian Smith would be another good choice at that time of the evening.

Very mellow when you've been listening to Olde Etonians barking at one another on the radio all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Who's in the box from (tomorrow?) night onwards? I'd have thought JC isn't off on holiday until the weekend, but I'm sure he said he was off after Thursday.

I like Fiachna but I reckon Lillian Smith would be another good choice at that time of the evening.

Very mellow when you've been listening to Olde Estonians barking at one another on the radio all day.

Those Estonians and their sense of entitlement.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Those Estonians and their sense of entitlement.
    I had been at the sherry last night when I wrote that.

In fairness, the Estonians would put that country right in jig-time. A British perestroika wouldn't go amiss.

Very mellow when you've been listening to Olde Etonians barking at one another on the radio all day.

John just said Fiachna will be sitting in next week, but as you say, Lilian is very good (she has covered for Creedo before IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

John just said Fiachna will be sitting in next week, but as you say, Lilian is very good (she has covered for Creedo before IIRC).

Good perhaps but you wouldn't catch either of them starting off a show with Love Shack and two Dylan classics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Two days late....but loved johns story on Thursday night about visiting a record store in NYC some years back and asking the proprietor whether he'd heard of a group called the Golden Gate Quartet. "Heard of 'em?" the man replied. "Hell, I know them!" Ended with John leaving some time later with 2 LPs under his oxter that he later had to flog to raise some much needed funds during a barren time. Just delightful. As were aforementioned Golden Gate Quartet.

Never heard the Stevie Nicks version of ‘Free Fallin’’ before...excellent :)

#fiachnaforevercreedonnever :pac: :D

#fiachnaforevercreedonnever :pac: :D
    He's gone rogue... Motion to ban WM forever from this forum?

‘Sweet Little Mystery’ by John Martyn!

Is Creedo back already? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great song. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

a seriously over-played song at Radio 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

In the papers this morning that RTE are to close & sell their cork studios which will likely mean the end of The John Creedon Show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Seem to remember only a couple of years ago they opened bright, shiny new premises in Cork, now its been shut down! Strange lot you have to say. As for Creedon, take bit more than this to get him off the air i reckon. Limerick or Waterford not that far away, a bit of a commute but no bother i'd say. If Phillip King can broadcast from Dingle, then John will find a way.

Always good to hear World Party.

Karl Wallinger, if you’re reading this, can one politely pull his finger out and release some new material? :)

Anyone listening to this Culture Night Concert?

Horrific Beatles/Queen medley, followed by some ropey hippity-hopper...all backed by the RTE Concert Orchestra.

*awaits sane response from Atlantic Dawn*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did anyone hear who was the female singer from Melbourne that Fiachra played tonight? It sounded a bit like In Tua Nua for a while, with some strong fiddle going on there.

Plastic Bertrand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Lads, I've only been tuning in sporadically over the last 2 weeks but where's John gone? This replacement just isn't the same!

Lads, I've only been tuning in sporadically over the last 2 weeks but where's John gone? This replacement just isn't the same!

Creedo on holiday, back next week :)

Fiancha O’Hothouse Flower sitting in.

Fiachna's not the same, but as replacements go I think he's possibly the next best thing. My ideal RTÉ music programme line-up would be Creedon in the evening (obvs) with Lillian Smith and Fiachna alternating between Late Date and 12pm slots (it would probably wreck the head doing Late Date full-time).

I hope Keith Walsh's current, temporary stint at 12pm isn't a bad omen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,003 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

John and Lillian, the 2 best djs on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Creedo on holiday, back next week :)

Fiancha O’Hothouse Flower sitting in.

Cheers for the heads up.

I agree with the other poster, Fiachna is not a bad replacement at all. He is easy to listen to, knowledgeable, and a bit of craic too. Does everything John does, but just not as well. Like stepping from a Rolls Royce into a Volkswagen (not that I actually know what that feels like! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Is auld turnip head on hols?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is auld turnip head on hols?

I presume so. Is poor old John yet another fella you don’t like? That’s a mighty long list, Brendan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I presume so. Is poor old John yet another fella you don’t like? That’s a mighty long list, Brendan.

Aah here John, less of the shade being thrown in my direction.

Poor John is ok, trousering a nice wedge for being the avuncular dude and friend of the common man.

Took over that niche nicely, you see John, you gotta have a niche in the Montrose hierarchy.

Like, for instance, Pauric Lodge cornered the racing niche after poor Colm

Be certain that 95% of Pees inserts will have racing reports, naming the jockeys the stable lads and stuff.Thats how it rolls dude.

A female presenter has cornered the boxing gig after poor Jimmy
    So she has the ‘niche’.

So poor John has cornered the what I would call the ‘Ordinary Joe’ niche, great lad loves a pint ,ordinary lad, you’d see him in the chipper on a Friday night kinda guy.

Auld TH had definitely cornered that niche.

So John I don’t hate the lad, I think he is quite good, but like to point out the little stuff some people miss.

Top hole.

Advertisement