Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dean Karnazes, the man who can run forever

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR wrote: »
    This bluffer was on newstalk the weekend. Couldn't believe the ****e the presenter let him away with. Pure fantasy!

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Futureproof/Highlights_from_Future_Proof_with_Jonathan_McCrea/56028/0/the_real_life_forrest_gump

I heard that too. Was LOL. I think he was implying that end had a seemingly infinite LT or something?

1. Bollo*
    2. even if true, not massively useful in 350 mile runs presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

He's kinda par for the course though for elite ultra running- seems like self promotion is part of the game at the "elite" end of that activity- we see it here in Ireland as well!

I bet he'd smoke anyone here in Hibernia in anything over 49 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

TRR wrote: »
    This bluffer was on newstalk the weekend. Couldn't believe the ****e the presenter let him away with. Pure fantasy!

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Futureproof/Highlights_from_Future_Proof_with_Jonathan_McCrea/56028/0/the_real_life_forrest_gump

That presenter is so clueless, I don't think he could call him out on any of that stuff even if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

drquirky wrote: »
    He's kinda par for the course though for elite ultra running- seems like self promotion is part of the game at the "elite" end of that activity- we see it here in Ireland as well!

Complete untrue of any of them I've met in real life.
    I bet he'd smoke anyone here in Hibernia in anything over 49 hrs

Obvious WUM is so obvious as to be pathetic.

Enduro-

I challenge you to a "beer ultra" 30 days- whomever can drink the most beers and run the most miles wins (equal weighting). I reckon the fact that I can run under 7min miles should see me as the favourite.

Winner is "World Champ at Beer Ultra"

Loser ditches boards forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I challenge you to a "beer ultra" 30 days- whomever can drink the most beers and run the most miles wins (equal weighting). I reckon the fact that I can run under 7min miles should see me as the favourite.

Well you certainly won't win by beer drinking :D;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well you certainly won't win by beer drinking :D;)

aren't we supposed to be teammates? Btw thanks for waking me up - I fell asleep in this Iran/ Nigeria match but need to be on my game for the USA game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aren't we supposed to be teammates? Btw thanks for waking me up - I fell asleep in this Iran/ Nigeria match but need to be on my game for the USA game.

:D What's the matter? did you finish that whole 4 pack of coors light? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Enduro-

This has GOT to be good for my quirky smackdown :pac:

Enduro - Im pretty sure hes calling you a p*ssy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Enduro-

And beers must be drunk on an empty stomach. No need to eat for endurance events like this. In fact eating is cheating!

• Advertisement

Enduro-

Is that 1 beer = 1 mile over 30 days? Your mind bendingly super sprinty 7 min miles probably puts you in a good position when weighted against my 1bpl (beer per lifetime). A "world championship vodka ultra" would give me a better shot, so to speak.

But hey, if you want to measure your milage + beer consumption vs my milage + complete lack of beer consumption for 30 days then that's fine by me. I'm more than happy for you to assume the title of "world champ at beer ultra" whatever the result is, since the title could hardly go to someone who doesn't drink beer.

Enduro wrote: »
    Your mind bendingly super sprinty 7 min miles

I figured I'd cite the fact that "eyeballs out" pace in an ultra is my easy pace:D

I'm also completely ripping the piss btw.

I figured I'd cite the fact that "eyeballs out" pace in an ultra is my easy pace:D

I'm sure your eyeballs out pace is a nice easy gentle jog pace for a well trained sprinter. Optimal paces are different depending on distances being raced. I presume you're aware of that. Only a complete idiot would suggest that something longer than a marathon should be run at a marathon pace, for example, or that you should run a 1500 meter race at your best 100 meter pace.

I'm sure your eyeballs out pace is a nice easy gentle jog pace for a well trained sprinter. Optimal paces are different depending on distances being raced. I presume you're aware of that. Only a complete idiot would suggest that something longer than a marathon should be run at a marathon pace, for example, or that you should run a 1500 meter race at your best 100 meter pace.

FYI

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Fairly sure Enduro is been sarcastic too TRR.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Fairly sure Enduro is been sarcastic too TRR.

Sometimes it's hard to differentiate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

We have a contender for....

2ciafro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

We have a contender for....

2ciafro.jpg

Agreed

Mod: No more derailing this thread. If people want to have spats between each other keep it out of discussion threads or bans will be handed out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I think this chap Dean Karnazes has a lot in common with Louis Walsh; Poor product in a weak genre, being sold to a wide audience through exceptional marketing ability, with the majority of the industry outspoken about their distaste for said person, yet secretly, deep down, are disgustingly jealous that he came up with such a brilliant idea first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I see it as more akin to the vast disdain, mixed with acknowledged envy, that GENIUS stand-up Stewart Lee feels for disgustingly-rich 'comedian' Michael McIntyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The Louis Walsh analogy doesn't hold up. His peers aren't indie bands like Radiohead, or even, God help me, Coldplay, to whom credibility and integrity are important. Walsh is competing with all the other svengali music moguls. Karnazes is in a field of one. I suspect that what annoys ultra people is the realisation that lazy researchers in the media have so little interest/knowledge of what they do that they just take Karnazes word for it when he says he is the greatest athlete in the world.

davedanon wrote: »
    I suspect that what annoys ultra people is the realisation that lazy researchers in the media have so little interest/knowledge of what they do that they just take Karnazes word for it when he says he is the greatest athlete in the world.

Except that he's not claiming to be the fittest ultra-runner in the world. Our Dean is more worthy than such lowly targets. The fittest person in the world is a more appropriate label for the mighty one. So ultra runners are but a tiny minority of the minions who should be acknowledging his incredible awesomeness!

<there may be some sarcasm in the above post>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

The fittest person in the world is a more appropriate label for the mighty one.
    "The truth is he's simply above average." His lactate threshold ... occurs at 63.4 percent of his VO2 max, not bad for mortals, but low for an elite marathoner.
    link

Advertisement