Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dean Karnazes, the man who can run forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

ultrapercy wrote: »
    That is absolutely your opinion and certainly not a fact. In my opinion the handicap system makes amature golf a joke and not really a sport at all. Giving someone a disadvantage to carry simply because they are good or practice more is anti sport. Professional golf is showbusinness like most professional sports.

Apologies ultrapercy, I was deliberately trying to be as stupid as some of the more opinionated posts here;). Golf is a leisure industry rather than a sport, but that's not something I'd care to argue or wind up on a forum made up of golfers. Ultrarunning may be a little unfortunate in that it has DK as its poster boy, but it's as competitive as any other sport. Ireland (and this forum) is over-represented on the world stage in ultrarunning, that's something that should be generally championed rather than constantly put down as a niche interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    constantly put down as a niche interest.

Being a "niche" sport is not a put down. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

The hypothesis was that running was a niche sport. Let's be crystal clear here: running is the third most practiced sport in Ireland, ahead of soccer, GAA and golf. If you want to have a debate about the most popular sport watched on TV, I suggest you take your argument to the TV forum instead of the athletics / running forum.

So walking by your definition is the most popular sport in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Smartguy wrote: »
    So walking by your definition is the most popular sport in the country.
    Firstly, it's not my definition. It's that of the Irish Sports Council. Secondly, if you watch a lot of TV (and I'm guessing you probably do), you see a lot of people walking. So yes, I guess you're right. Can we get back on topic now?

Dean Karnazes has a great set of abs and is a perfect poster boy for Runner's World, but as an ultra runner he is not very competitive. The world is full of people who are better at selling themselves than they are at performing (like this guy). Still, you can hardly blame him. Everyone's got to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Apologies ultrapercy, I was deliberately trying to be as stupid as some of the more opinionated posts here;). Golf is a leisure industry rather than a sport, but that's not something I'd care to argue or wind up on a forum made up of golfers. Ultrarunning may be a little unfortunate in that it has DK as its poster boy, but it's as competitive as any other sport. Ireland (and this forum) is over-represented on the world stage in ultrarunning, that's something that should be generally championed rather than constantly put down as a niche interest.

Sorry my sarcasm detector must be on the blink.

• Advertisement

On a related note, I watched a documentary on the genuine article (Killian Jornet) over the weekend. What an incredible runner. I don't know whether I'm most impressed with the number of wins he has had at just age 25, or the fact that ultra-running is not even his main passion (which is ski mountaineering).

Vo2 max: 85-90 ml/min/kg
    Lung capacity: 5.3 litres

You've got to think that having a high Vo2max / lactate threshold does come into play, when you are racing up peaks, like Mont Blanc. Ultra running doesn't just take place on flat roads, you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

On a related note, I watched a documentary on the genuine article (Killian Jornet) over the weekend.

Was it summits of my life or something else ? If something else, can you furnish deets ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Firstly, it's not my definition. It's that of the Irish Sports Council. Secondly, if you watch a lot of TV (and I'm guessing you probably do), you see a lot of people walking. So yes, I guess you're right. Can we get back on topic now?

Dean Karnazes has a great set of abs and is a perfect poster boy for Runner's World, but as an ultra runner he is not very competitive. The world is full of people who are better at selling themselves than they are at performing (like this guy). Still, you can hardly blame him. Everyone's got to make a living.

Hey mate I watch hardly no tv. Very sensitive.

Smartguy wrote: »
    Hey mate I watch hardly no tv. Very sensitive.
    I'm sorry if you're very sensitive; I meant no offence. Merely extending your own argument.
    PaulieC wrote:
    Was it summits of my life or something else ? If something else, can you furnish deets ?
    Yep, Summits of my life. It was more about ski Mountaineering than ultra-running/mountaineering, but a good watch anyway. Incredible the risks these guys take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'm sorry if you're very sensitive; I meant no offence. Merely extending your own argument.

Yep, Summits of my life. It was more about ski Mountaineering than ultra-running/mountaineering, but a good watch anyway. Incredible the risks these guys take.

Reading his booked at the moment. What i like about it is that its a book about his adventures and not trying to promote himself or push something on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yeah, I have that. It was surprisingly touching for what was ostensibly a running/mountaineering documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

hypersonic wrote: »
    Ultra running is a niche with in a niche within a niche sport, I have time for anybody who takes their sport seriously, but ultra running is a tiny speck on the sporting landscape.

Not everywhere mind you, I was impressed that in South Africa they had a live broadcast for Comrades (~54m ultramarathon) for ~13 hours on one of the national channels with a fairly high number of viewers.
    An average 1,278,187 viewers watched Live coverage of the 2013 Comrades Marathon, up 6% compared to 2012 (TAMS, 2013)

Just watched the trailer on YouTube & it looks pretty amazing, will try and track down a copy to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Interesting thread ;)

On the OP, Karnazes is not a great runner at all (several posters on this thread would be faster than him), and is an even worse sportsman. Have a read of this article to see how low he is prepared to go to inflate his already massive ego and keep the PR bandwagon rolling.

It's a pity so many people look up to him. Even in a purely American context there are so many much better runners, who are also far more impressive sportspeople and more impressive humans, than him. Scott Jurek is just one example. You could create a very long list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I don't get how people still talk about DK. A simple google will reveal he's not a great ultra runner, not even close. And the way he tried to stiff Richard Donovan was unreal.

Sure he's the world's most famous ultra runner but the most famous band at the moment is one direction. Go figure.

I don't think he's ever been the poster boy for ultra running. Sure he hasn't won anything of note. Which isn't to deny he's done great adventures and is a decent runner.

Scott Jurek had some interesting quotes on DK. http://www.atrailrunnersblog.com/2007/07/what-scott-jurek-really-thinks-about.html?m=1

As an armchair ultra fan, his name never comes up. Ever.

Exciting time for ultra running with the annoucment of a World Series. Seems DK is trying to get in on that.

How he can get a profile in the guardian in 2013 while kilian jornet is around is mad. It's not like there's a dearth of amazing long distance ultra runners.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Enduro wrote: »
    Interesting thread ;)

On the OP, Karnazes is not a great runner at all (several posters on this thread would be faster than him), and is an even worse sportsman. Have a read of this article to see how low he is prepared to go to inflate his already massive ego and keep the PR bandwagon rolling.

fecken hell, something never sat right about that particular marathon but never suspected it was that bloody bad. Thats an awful situation for Richard Donovan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't actually think I ever heard of Karnazes before, heard, saw and read plenty about Jornet and Jurek though.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

On a related note, I watched a documentary on the genuine article (Killian Jornet) over the weekend. What an incredible runner. I don't know whether I'm most impressed with the number of wins he has had at just age 25, or the fact that ultra-running is not even his main passion (which is ski mountaineering).

Vo2 max: 85-90 ml/min/kg
    Lung capacity: 5.3 litres

You've got to think that having a high Vo2max / lactate threshold does come into play, when you are racing up peaks, like Mont Blanc. Ultra running doesn't just take place on flat roads, you know..

Thanks for this, just grabbed a copy to watch over the weekend. Trailer has me on the hook.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He's back in the media again

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/17/dean-karnazes-greece-marathon-ultra-arcadia-messina-child-obesity

Doesn't say the distance he's doing but rather big claim for him to say "My biomechanics are unique",

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Yianis Kouros will be going nuts, I imagine. That's one poorly written piece of fanboy journalism.

Enduro wrote: »
    Yianis Kouros will be going nuts, I imagine. That's one poorly written piece of fanboy journalism.

Got to agree about how its written, very poor
    Can't honestly blame anyone for going nuts over it, sure its great that Karnazes has done some good but this shouldn't be happening at the expense of better runners.

• Advertisement

I wasn't always the perfect athlete...

He's quite the modest individual. Looks like a press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

"My biomechanics ability to attract sponsors and gain attention for feats that may be less spectacular than they appear is unique."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

"Moderately talented individual uses PR to promote himself/herself".

That's the story. It's annoying, especially when someone exaggerates or even lies about their achievements, but it happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

According to the article "In 2015, he hopes to traverse the world by clocking up marathons throughout the year in 204 countries"

Sure isn't that what Tony Mangan is doing he just doesn't have the same big PR or sponsorship behind him. DK is a joke.

serfboard wrote: »
    "Moderately talented individual uses PR to promote himself/herself".

That's the story. It's annoying, especially when someone exaggerates or even lies about their achievements, but it happens all the time.

What achievements as he lied about?

groovyg wrote: »
    According to the article "In 2015, he hopes to traverse the world by clocking up marathons throughout the year in 204 countries"

Sure isn't that what Tony Mangan is doing he just doesn't have the same big PR or sponsorship behind him. DK is a joke.

He just a person that saw an opportunity to make money, in fairness fair play to him. He knows how to market himself. Isn't the greatest runner around but has the best marketing runners brain! Smart guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

groovyg wrote: »

Agree with you. What Tony is doing is nothing short of incredible. While DK is simply running Marathons around the wiorld. TM is actually running around the world itself.

http://www.theworldjog.com/

http://www.aware.ie/

What achievements as he lied about?

Beating the Irish. He never heard the chant.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/siadventure/28/murphys_law/

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Interesting, he has a bit of the Armstrong approach in him.. Fair play to Donovan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

This bluffer was on newstalk the weekend. Couldn't believe the ****e the presenter let him away with. Pure fantasy!

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Futureproof/Highlights_from_Future_Proof_with_Jonathan_McCrea/56028/0/the_real_life_forrest_gump

Advertisement