Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dean Karnazes, the man who can run forever

Options
  • 30-08-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

...or some bollox like that.

Pretty funny article here about him.

The "science" discussed here is very dodgy, apparently he can run really long ultra's due to his extraordinarily high lactate threshold. Now I'm no ultra runner but surely if you are running a 100 mile race you should be nowhere near you LT, so how high it is really makes no difference? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He can run 100 miles, but sure so can a few people on this forum.

He's nothing special really, he's just good at the media stuff. If you look at races he enters he doesn't come near the top the majority of the time... Badwater 135 and western states 100 are good examples.

None the less, he's had a benefit, his books have likely got people running but at the expense of the media basically ignoring some top runners which is a awful shame. .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

He sure knows how to sell himself. He eventually admitted that his first book is full of exaggerations and nonsense, but I read a later book of him and he came across better in that one.

He is nowhere near as good a runner as is sometimes made out, hell, even my own marathon time is better than his (ok, he's got me by 15 minutes at 100 miles at the mo).

He did inspire people to run and he does good work for charity, so give him credit where it's due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I think he was a guest on marathon talk or talkultra a while ago and he came off fairly well. He pretty much admitted the whole PR side to his life meant he wasn't being taken seriously at all outside of those who view him (rightly or wrongly) as some sort of legend.
    A few people I know (mostly non-runners but into other fitness) seem to think he's epic :rolleyes:
    He has certainly opened people eyes to life beyond marathons so is that a bad thing.

for the record never read anything by him, his reputation (and multiple forums bashing him) turned me off that book.

Slightly off topic but I'm not really enjoying Scott Jurek's "eat&run", I think the back story is great and inspiring but I'm not keen on the constant highlight of veganism, just think it's too hard a sell, but that's just my take on it (and yes I know it is an important part of his achievements), I like my steaks too much. (audio book version so print version might be less in your face).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

+1 on Scott Jurek.
    partly a running book, mostly a cookery book.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Who cares if someone can run 100 miles? I see nothing special or interesting in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

walshb wrote: »
    Who cares if someone can run 100 miles? I see nothing special or interesting in it.
    id imagine the person who runs 100 miles cares. Some of their friends, family clubmates . That could be lots of people if the person has a lot of friends, a big family and runs for Clonliffe. Got many friends yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

walshb wrote: »

In fairness Karnazes would not consider himself a '100 mile runner' in fact he'd agree wholeheartedly with your statement i'm sure.

100 miles is just an arbitrary number the same as 26.2 miles is, people are entitled to think there is nothing special about either number. Everyone to their own and all that.

Personally I've a lot of respect for the dedication and mentality needed to run a 100 mile race, especially at altitude and in extreme weather conditions. Look at Enduro's UTMB achievement in another thread on this forum and tell me that's not special or interesting!

As others have said Karnazes has played the media well. He has made himself the face of ultrarunning even though he is not even near the top of his field. He actually seems more drawn to extreme adventure challenges like multi-day desert races were his strengths are rather than straight up 100 milers.

I've read his books and I'm not sure if I actually like them or not- he claims to be shy and retiring and yet I've seen him walk onto a talk show set in the US like a rock star.

I think his appeal is one of a guy who was getting older, working in a corporate environment who decided he wasn't fulfilled so he pulled on a pair of runners and left it all behind.

All that said he's inspired others and done a huge amount for charity so kudos where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe if they were running sub 6 mins pace I would see it as special. Other than that it's just pure monotony.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

ultrapercy wrote: »
    id imagine the person who runs 100 miles cares. Some of their friends, family clubmates . That could be lots of people if the person has a lot of friends, a big family and runs for Clonliffe. Got many friends yourself?

Ultra running is a niche with in a niche within a niche sport, I have time for anybody who takes their sport seriously, but ultra running is a tiny speck on the sporting landscape.

hypersonic wrote: »
    Ultra running is a niche with in a niche within a niche sport, I have time for anybody who takes their sport seriously, but ultra running is a tiny speck on the sporting landscape.
    That's true, so what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Running is a niche sport now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

On the Scott Jurek veganism thing, doesnt the fact that he ate meat and plenty of it when he was growing up allow his body to develop fully so when he changed to veganism his body wasnt growing or developing as a childs is?

lynchieboy wrote: »
    On the Scott Jurek veganism thing, doesnt the fact that he ate meat and plenty of it when he was growing up allow his body to develop fully so when he changed to veganism his body wasnt growing or developing as a childs is?
    Yeah I would imagine there is an element of that at play which is being overlooked. However, committed vegans will say that the body will develop without meat as well.
    But, can we not go down the is vegan good or bad route, I just want to follow this thread as it slowly descends into (yet another) of walshb's trolling attempts :D.

I'll bite. :pac:

Where you been man, we missed you :rolleyes:

So 6min pace for 100 miles and then you would see it as special, seems legit.
    You've got high standards, so can you live up to them yourself?
    Because if you can't that makes you......dare I say it....nothing special. (that is a logical extension of your viewpoint isn't it?)
    Welcome to the world of mediocrity, it's fairly well populated, but always room for one more.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Running is a niche sport now ?

I'm afraid so, bar the Olympics it just not on most people's radar. where was the tv coverage of the world's, where is the tv coverage the diamond league. Get two lads kicking a bogball against a wall and rte is there!
    it's a niche sport, it doesn't bother me but there's no point kidding ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

b.harte wrote: »
    So 6min pace for 100 miles and then you would see it as special, seems legit.
    You've got high standards, so can you live up to them yourself?
    Because if you can't that makes you......dare I say it....nothing special. (that is a logical extension of your viewpoint isn't it?)
    Welcome to the world of mediocrity, it's fairly well populated, but always room for one more.
    People are very defensive around here.
    Nobody can comment unless they meet world class standard themselves?

There's nothing superhuman about what he does, the guy obviously has very high pain and boredom thresholds, but that won't sell many tickets.

Good luck to the guy and all, but it wouldn't exactly set my heart racing either.

And what's wrong with being mediocre, have you not realised yet that's what you are too?
    Welcome to 99.99% of the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm afraid so, bar the Olympics it just not on most people's radar. where was the tv coverage of the world's, where is the tv coverage the diamond league. Get two lads kicking a bogball against a wall and rte is there!
    it's a niche sport, it doesn't bother me but there's no point kidding ourselves.

I was watching Diamond League athletics on tv the week before last.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I was watching Diamond League athletics on tv the week before last.
    That doesn't contradict what was said. BBC showed DL on BBC3 or 4 last week, some people stay up til the early hours watching some obscure sport on a laptop.
    If it's not in the main schedules it doesn't register.

Boxing is very high profile during the Olympics, it's luck to get a mention any other time unless KT wins the world title for the millionth time.
    There's no big welcomes at Dublin airport except once every four years.
    Just the way it is I suppose.

Henry9 wrote: »
    That doesn't contradict what was said. BBC showed DL on BBC3 or 4 last week, some people stay up til the early hours watching some obscure sport on a laptop.
    If it's not in the main schedules it doesn't register.

Boxing is very high profile during the Olympics, it's luck to get a mention any other time unless KT wins the world title for the millionth time.
    There's no big welcomes at Dublin airport except once every four years.
    Just the way it is I suppose.

So what is it then- running is niche sport on TV or running is niche period? If your proclaiming the later to be true, I'd have to disagree.

sideswipe wrote: »
    So what is it then- running is niche sport on TV or running is niche period? If your proclaiming the later to be true, I'd have to disagree.

where do you think running is? 7th maybe 8th in Ireland, gaa1, Gaa2, football, rugby, martial arts, golf, cycling, running, swimming, tennis

where do you think running is? 7th maybe 8th in Ireland, gaa1, Gaa2, football, rugby, martial arts, golf, cycling, running, swimming, tennis

It's all guesswork but for argument sake lets say your list is correct- I don't believe any of them are niche sports, running included.

• Advertisement

People are very defensive around here.
    Nobody can comment unless they meet world class standard themselves?
    You absolutely misread my post, and what was said further up the thread. Many here agree that there is nothing special about Kamazes apart from his media profile. The only thing I'm defending is the point that it takes a lot of effort and commitment to run 100 miles, in much the same was as it take commitment to do anything beyond comfort zone. To come on to a forum with a "Who cares" attitude is insulting to both Kamazes or other who run long distances, and is in my mind a fairly crap attitude to present.
    There's nothing superhuman about what he does, the guy obviously has very high pain and boredom thresholds, but that won't sell many tickets.
    Yes & No, at a competitive level, as was stated up-thread, he is not top of the pile. But at a human level going out of your comfort zone is something that most people don't do, so then yes, there is something super-human about him. Super in this case being that he (and others) are doing something beyond what most people consider normal. As for pain & boredom, not sure anyone here can answer for him, I don't find long runs boring at all, but that's just me.As for selling tickets, I think the point of Kamazes, Jurek, Jornet, Roes and many of the other ultra-distance athletes who have books make is that it isn't about tickets, money, or anything it's about a connection with yourself and the environment that is almost spiritual, but I take your point.
    Good luck to the guy and all, but it wouldn't exactly set my heart racing either.
    And that's a good positive attitude to have, even if you don't engage with what the guy does you aren't being negative about him. Unlike the post that triggered this exchange.
    And what's wrong with being mediocre, have you not realised yet that's what you are too?
    Welcome to 99.99% of the human race.
    Again, you misread my post, I know I'm mediocre, I also see nothing wrong with it - at all. I will never be fast, I will never make a career out of my running and I don't aspire to do that. But, what I won't subscribe to is a belief that recognition should only go to the top performers, recognition should go to everyone who does something outside their own comfort zone, be it giving up fags and walking a mile or going very long, very slowly in extreme conditions. To each their own but don't dismiss anyone because it isn't to your taste, and that's not aimed at you.

Do you care equally about every endeavor which takes a long time to accomplish? Even if you do, most people don't.
    Watching sport for me isn't about a plodder grinding out some feat of endurance. Participating is a different story and good luck to him.

Likewise, people outside of their comfort zone, more power to their elbow, but nobody bar their close friends or clubmates will be checking the papers the next morning.

Probably a million people will read the column inches on Dublin-Kerry tomorrow.

I also don't think going out of your comfort zone makes you super human. I think you're stretching yourself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're talking about watching sports on tv (which isn't a sport in itself). Running (recreational and competitive) is Ireland's third most popular sport, ahead of soccer, bog-ball, etc. Irish Sports council Report - 2011.

You're talking about watching sports on tv (which isn't a sport in itself). Running (recreational and competitive) is Ireland's third most popular sport, ahead of soccer, bog-ball, etc. Irish Sports council Report - 2011.
    Depends how you define it. Participation is only one element.
    You'd have to be pretty obtuse to claim running is more popular than football and GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You'd have to be pretty obtuse to claim running is more popular than football and GAA.

Golf has its own section on the RTE.ie sports page. Ultra running does not have its own section. Obese or not, golf is the better sport- FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Golf has its own section on the RTE.ie sports page. Ultra running does not have its own section. Obese or not, golf is the better sport- FACT.

I thought being obese was a pre-requirement for becoming an ultrarunner? :pac:

Runs away!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The hypothesis was that running was a niche sport. Let's be crystal clear here: running is the third most practiced sport in Ireland, ahead of soccer, GAA and golf. If you want to have a debate about the most popular sport watched on TV, I suggest you take your argument to the TV forum instead of the athletics / running forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fleck

While I agree that running is not a niche sport, I don't think the participation figures from that irish sports council survey are definative. According to that survey swimming was the sport with the most participation, but the majority of swimmers are using it as exercise and only a small number are actually competing in competition. While for GAA the reverse would be the case. Where exercise ends and sport begins , well everyone will have there own opinion!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    That is absolutely your opinion and certainly not a fact. In my opinion the handicap system makes amature golf a joke and not really a sport at all. Giving someone a disadvantage to carry simply because they are good or practice more is anti sport. Professional golf is showbusinness like most professional sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

If you write FACT after a sentence it means that sentence is irrefutable. FACT.

Advertisement